To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Great job, Billy!

Thanks!

Congrats! Great result, plus it gets me some of the points I need to make up, if I understand the game correctly. 😉

Thanks! Haven't typed it in yet, but I'll be interested to see the havoc a HM creates.

Congrats! Looks like the hard work is paying off!

Thanks! Definitely trending in the right direction. Most importantly I came out of this race completely healthy which hasn't been the case in a race for over a year.

Wow! Congrats! That is quite the finish!

Thanks!

Congratulations Billy! Looking forward to the recap.

Thanks!

Awesome!! Congrats!! Looks like all of your hard work this training cycle is paying off.
And more importantly ... I think this result should help my standings in the prediction contest :)

Thanks! Happy to have this performance come off a 17.75 hr training week last week.

Great job!!!

Thanks!

DoLittle HM Recap!

First half marathon race in over a year. This race represented the end of Phase 1 (Base Phase) of the TrainerRoad High Volume Ironman training plan. Can I run less and still yield a similar level of running fitness with the addition of structured cycling and structured weight lifting? That's the question I had about this training plan. And secondarily, will this plan help me get to that level of a sub-3 marathon by the time I run Disney in January? Lastly, could I battle my mental demons and come up with a pace strategy that could be successful and allow me to pace watch and not race blind? So, needless to say, I was excited to see how this race would play out.

The week was filled with daily checks of the weather. For essentially the entire 10 day forecast, it was likely to be cloudy, rainy, and a T+D in the 130s. We got lots of updates throughout the week about the weather. Saturday was fairly clear, but the chance of thunderstorms was pretty high when I went to bed for Sunday morning. They were saying as much as 2-3 inches of rain and an absolute deluge. I woke up at 3:30am with the intent to leave at 4:30am, arrive at 5:30am, and start the race at 7:00am. The lightningmaps website was showing some very active lightning, but it was probably 50/50 whether Waukesha was going to end up being just East enough to avoid the brunt of the massive storm. I took a shower, prepared the car, made my bagel with PB/honey and banana. We loaded up and were on our way at 4:40am.

Things were going fine for a few miles, but within a few minutes of leaving the house the skies literally opened up and started just DUMPING rain. It was dark, there were a few other cars, and WI does not light their interstates. So it made for a super scary situation. We could see maybe 10-20 feet in front of the car and that was it. Steph looked at me and said, we can't do this. We've got to turn around. I quick checked the map and said if we can survive 5-10 minutes of this we'll be driving faster than the storm and make it out. We pushed ahead and was able to get through the head of the storm. I ate my breakfast at 5:05am. The drive from there was mostly without issue and we arrived at the park at 5:40am.

I used the restroom, got my bib, and then sat around for a bit waiting for us to get some updates about the race start. We all kept watchful eyes on the weather and we had good news. The lightning had stayed West and tracked northward, so we were likely in the clear as far as lightning goes. We were definitely going to have rain, but the race would only be slightly delayed to 7:15am. So I got my Nike Next% shoes on eager to see how they would preform in their first race and in a rainy environment. @Kerry1957 came over and introduced himself and we had a short pre-race chat. Completed a short WU of 1.3 miles in 12 min. The WU didn't feel completely smooth. And when I finished my watch gave me a staggering 17 hours of recovery before my next hard effort. Guess 15 min might be too soon??? Drank my 17 oz of SIS Beta (80g carbs) at 7:00am and lined myself up at the start. Chatted with a few other runners at the start line. One mentioned a goal of 7:20 pace for the HM (there was also a mixed start marathon) and we shook hands excited to see how the race would play out today. They pointed to my shoes and their apparent advantage and me exceeding the 7:20 pace. I said, these shoes will help me get to the 7:20 pace more so than 7:20 plus better pace today. Called to the start line, and then we were off!

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 4.04.12 PM.png

As stated before, this was one of only a handful of races I've done in the last few years that I was going to actively watch my pace. I normally crumble mentally if I start to lose pace. So for this race I did an analysis of the elevation profile of the race and calculated out the GAP of the course. And then in addition, I had a presumed window of performance I expected of myself. So instead of aiming for a single consistent pace throughout the race, I was aiming for a pace window (23 seconds) that was undulating based on the elevation changes of the course itself. The GAP goal was 7:00-7:23 for the entire race.

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 4.04.29 PM.png

Conditions - 🌧 Drizzle, Wind 9mph to 15mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 71°F + 67°F; FL - 72°F
End: Temp+Dew = 71°F + 67°F; FL - 72°F

The T+D ended up higher than ever forecasted at 138. While I didn't know this until after the race was over. This pushed my T+D adjustment to a 3%. This race would now have a T+D only slightly less than Hot2Trot 2018 when I ran a 1:41 HM with similar fitness.

Mile 1 - 7:28 (GAP 7:20); goal of 7:10-7:33

The race started off well. There was about 5-10 guys that headed out ahead of me and two girls essentially right next to me. I constantly checked the watch throughout the mile and had the goal to try and aim for the middle unless things felt ridiculously easy. It wasn't ridiculously easy, so I was happy just to be between 7:10-7:33. It was pretty apparent I was going to struggle to read my wristband though as the motion of my arm made it difficult. Made it to the first aid station and since there was only one person handing out water I was only able to get 1 cup. But I slowed down and focused on consuming everything in that single cup.

Mile 2 - 7:37 (GAP 7:27); goal of 7:17-7:40

This is a perfect example of a mile that would have been completely deflating in the past. With a goal of a 7:00-7:23 pace, to see a 7:37 pace in the second mile would not have been good. But I knew in advance that this was an uphill mile and thus the actual pace goal was shifted. Therefore, I ended up on the slower side of the range, but I was still in range. I think it was around here that the two females pulled from behind me and stayed in lock step ahead of me. I suspected they had a pace goal, where I had a GAP goal. But neither of them wanted to secede the lead between them.

Mile 3 - 7:28 (GAP 7:15); goal of 7:17-7:40

Still feeling good and happy. Another mile that would have been outside the pace goal, but was well within the GAP goal. Things still weren't feeling easy, but I knew once we hit around mile 3.4 the course would shift to a downhill. There may or may not have been another aid station here and I was only able to get a single cup again.

Mile 4 - 7:05 (GAP 6:59); goal of 7:03-7:26 and 6:53-7:16

While the uphill was slight it was definitely more noticeable than I remember from Last Call 2015 HM. But I finally hit the 3.4 mile mark and started to push the pace. The group of guys were mostly out of sight at this point, which was a bit surprising since the one guy was going for 7:20s. But the ladies were within eye shot and we had collectively caught up to Spiderman. My sudden increase I think took the people around me by surprise because I closed the gap between us quickly and then started to pass them. The lady in the trail position started to surge, but then held back.

Mile 5 - 7:00 (GAP 7:05); goal of 6:51-7:14

Things were moving and grooving now. I could tell we were headed downhill but it definitely didn't seem as downhill as the previous uphill felt. I did catchup to the first place woman at this point and she definitely didn't want me to pass her. She picked up her pace to match mine and was right on my heels. Together we caught up to another runner, but at this point it was becoming less obvious if the people I was running with were HM runners or M runners. But given the rain that was falling on us, I was super happy to be doing the HM today. I passed the woman and man, but I could feel them on my heels. I think there was another aid station here, but same old story with only 1 cup. I think it was around here that some very mild side stitches were cropping up. They weren't full blown, but the feeling lingered pretty much until mile 8.

Mile 6 - 7:05 (GAP 7:10); goal of 6:51-7:14

I could feel the gap between myself and the other two runners starting to open. My goal was to try and make it to the mile 6 marker before I saw someone coming from the opposite direction. I had scanned the registered runner list prior to the race and knew that there were some speedy runners out there. But until I saw people headed back, I wouldn't know whether they were HM or M runners from the pack ahead. I think it was during this mile that my right quad starting become sore. I thought, no way I can keep up this race pace if this persists hurting like this. But I relaxed and within a 0.5 mile it was gone.

Mile 7 - 7:09 (GAP 7:08); goal of 6:53-7:16 and 7:03-7:26

It wasn't too long after I made it past mile 6 that I could see the other runners headed back in the distance. So I decided to do a time check whenever I crossed paths with them. I think they were at 45:00, 45:30, 45:45, 45:xx, and 46:30. When I hit the turnaround at 47:25, I knew I was about 2 min behind the 5th place runner. I also got to check out the runners behind me and they were fairly close. So I was going to have to work to hold on to 6th place and who knows which AG these people are even in. I had two swigs from my concentrated Tailwind and it was tolerable. My pace definitely started to slow here, but that was expected since I was now going uphill. Again, in a normal situation this would have been deflating, but this time around I was mentally prepared for this slow down knowing it's completely natural to slow when going uphill. And knowing exactly how much I should slow by was reassuring that I was indeed still on pace.

Mile 8 - 7:21 (GAP 7:14); goal of 7:20-7:43

The biggest climbing mile of the race. I knew the pace was going to be slow. So to be at a 7:21 was a bit on the aggressive side. Turns out the elevation gain wasn't as much as predicted. So this explains why suddenly my pace was on the faster side of the goal range. But I didn't waiver in trusting my self and knowing this was the right pace in the moment. I couldn't really see the runners behind me or in front of me anymore. I could see other runners still headed for the turnaround.

Mile 9 - 7:33 (GAP 7:26); goal of 7:03-7:26

Knew the uphill was ending soon at 9.7 miles. So I just had to make it 1.7 miles. So I continued to push forward. I think it was during this mile that I crossed paths with @Kerry1957. We yelled excitement at each other and pushed ahead respectively.

Mile 10 - 7:25 (GAP 7:29); goal of 6:53-7:16

A mixed mile of the remaining uphill and then downhill. I think I underestimated the uphill on this one, but I was in such a daze that I didn't even notice I was "off pace". I was just trying to hold on until the downhill started, and once it did it felt glorious. I could tell the effort was going into my quads now and I really could feel the Next% propelling me forward.

Mile 11 - 7:08 (GAP 7:16); goal of 6:44-7:07

I was pushing, but this is what my body was giving me today. Other than a few stragglers from the 10k race, I couldn't see anyone ahead of me, and I wasn't looking backwards to see how much of a lead I had on the lead female.

Mile 12 - 7:11 (GAP 7:18); goal of 6:44-7:07

Continuing to push ahead. There was only 2.1 miles to go. I was feeling it, but also felt like I could continue. I think it was during this mile that my ipod ran out of battery. A complete shock because I thought it was fully charged. So I was going to have to finish out this race without music and solely focus on the breathing, rain, and nature sounds. Still nothing ahead or behind.

Mile 13 - 7:11 (GAP 7:15); goal of 6:51-7:14

Not much time left. Keep trying to hold the pace. At this point I snuck a peek at the total time and saw I was closing in on the predicted time around a 1:35. Push, push push. Just before the 13 mile mark I snuck a peek behind me and saw the lead female. She was trying to close, but I felt like I had a decent insurmountable lead.

Final Time: 1:34:57
Final Overall: 6th/139 (4.3%)
Final Gender: 6th/57 (10.5%)
Final Age Group: 3rd/12 (25%)

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 4.04.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 4.04.21 PM.png

A very solid performance. About everything about this race was on point. I ran the first half in 47:25 and the second half in 47:32. So only a 7 second positive split. I'd say that's about as evenly paced as I can get.

The race itself was a VDOT of 47.9 when my Garmin VO2max was a 56. So a delta of 8.1 which is nearly exactly as predicted with a delta of 8. It also puts the result of this race spot on with the BratFest 5k performance (VDOT of 48.0). So essentially in the same place as I was in May and now I've got 16 weeks to push the envelope far enough to hit that sub-3. For reference, the VDOT 48.0 marathon time is a 3:18.

I felt like the Next% shoes helped me maintain pace at the end when things got tough. It felt like it was helping me maintain good form to the finish line.

So the goals of this race were to determine if this plan was working, decide whether this is helping me get to sub-3, and determine if I can find a way to watch pace. I think all three were successfully answered. The plan is working. I ran this HM as officially my second fastest ever and had done minimal actual paced training runs (mostly only easy running thus far). I feel like the addition of paced running (which starts next week) is going to help push me towards sub-3. And I feel like using GAP with a performance range allowed me to have realistic paces to shoot for that never allowed me to mentally crumble.

Now time to move onto Phase 2 of the training plan, the Build phase. As stated earlier, the focus of Phase 2 will be paced running.

2019 DopeyBadger Racing Season Prediction Contest - Race #3 (DoLittle HM)

As predicted, the game got interesting after this one! Your predictions with the # of seconds off from actual.

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 5.37.52 PM.png

And the current standings:

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 5.38.10 PM.png

@TeeterTots comes in here #notpayingattention and leads with an astonishing -1 second off from the cumulative time. Golf clap! Three players did not participate in this HM, so they're currently not eligible to win. But don't worry @ZellyB, @PkbaughAR, and @DisMatt0483 because there are still 2 other HMs to play in to get you eligible. For everyone else, participating in either of the remaining HMs will get you a 15 second bonus off your final time. But as I've said before, this is still anyone's game because all you have to do is get your final cumulative time to 0 after the Disney Marathon. I'm expecting some WILD guesses for the next race to try and make up some of these time offs. Fun!

16 Weeks to Go! (Sixteen Candles) + TrainerRoad High Volume Full Triathlon Plan Week 12/28 + 80 Day Obsession - Phase 3/Week 4

9/16/19 - M - OFF
9/17/19 - T - 80DO-AAA + Holt Hill (90 min; 77 TSS)
9/18/19 - W - 6 x 1 min @ Comfortable Fast intervals (Run)
9/19/19 - R - Antelope (90 min; 97 TSS) + 40 min Evening Run at Easy
9/20/19 - F - 80DO-Total Body Core + GrassyRidge-3 (60 min; 56 TSS)
9/21/19 - Sa - Dans (30 min; 13 TSS)
9/22/19 - Su - DoLittle HM

Total Run Miles - 23.8 miles
Total Run Time - 3:07 hours
Total Run TSS - 242 TSS

Total Biking Time - 4:30 hours
Total Biking TSS - 243 TSS

Total 80DO Time - 1:51 hours
Total 80DO TSS - 15 TSS

Total Training Time - 9:29 hours
Total TSS - 500 TSS

Monday

Off day.

Tuesday

80DO-AAA in 2 sets of 15 cycle through each series and then move to the next one.

Series 1: Czech Press, Front Raise, Slider Windshield Wipers, Side Lunge Hold
Series 2: Bridge Pull Over, Camel Bicep Curl, Weighted Twisted Roll Down, Marching Bridge
Series 3: Bridge Bilateral Press, Tricep Kickback in Lunge, Weighted Knee Drops, Curtsy Lunge Pulse

Cycling: Holt Hill totals over 70 minutes of Tempo intervals spent between 70-80% FTP with intermittent, 3-minute recoveries. RPM of 88.

Wednesday

Evening Run:
Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 10mph to 10mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 77°F + 65°F; FL - 78°F
End: Temp+Dew = 76°F + 65°F; FL - 78°F

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 6.13.41 PM.png

Thursday

Cycling: Antelope is 5x10-minute Sweet Spot intervals ranging between 88-94% FTP with 5-minute recoveries between intervals. RPM of 91.

Evening Run:
Conditions - ☁️ Partly Cloudy, Wind 0mph to 0mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 70°F + 66°F; FL - 71°F
End: Temp+Dew = 69°F + 66°F; FL - 71°F

4.9 miles in 40 min (8:17 pace) with HR of 136.

Friday

80DO-Total Body Core in 2 sets of 15 cycle through each series and then move to the next one.

Series 1: Surrender to Shoulder Press, Quad Ped Crawl, Burpee Sliders
Series 2: Bent Over Row Tap Back, Squat Tabletop Row, Saw on Sliders
Series 3: Modified 1/2 Turkish Push-up, Side Reach Push-up, V Crunch to Scissor Crunch
Series 4: Runner's Lunge Curl, Static Sumo Hammer Curl, Slider Crawl Out
Series 5: Tricep Push up w/ knee tuck, Squat Hold Kickbacks, Weighted Windmills

Cycling: Grassy Ridge -3 is 3 sets of 9x30-second VO2 Max repeats at 110% FTP. The "floats" between repeats are 30 seconds long at 50% FTP and the recoveries between sets are 4 minutes long. RPM of 95.

Saturday

Cycling: Dans is 30 minutes of active recovery riding spent between 45-55% FTP. RPM of 91.

Sunday

DoLittle HM

Recap of Phase 1 (Base) of TrainerRoad High Volume Ironman training plan (13 total weeks)

(Completed/Scheduled)

# of runs: 49 / 48
Total Run Duration: 42:56 hours / 42:40 hours
Run Distance: 304.5 miles

# of cycles: 55 / 55
Total Cycling Duration: 87:15 hours / 86:35 hours
Cycling Distance: 1426.4 miles

# of 80DO: 34 / 34
Total 80DO Duration: 29:47 hours / 29:49 hours

# of workouts: 138 / 137
Total Training Duration: 159:50 hours / 159:04 hours
Total Distance: 1731 miles

Every workout scheduled was completed. The one extra workout was the WU for the DoLittle HM. A very successful first 13 weeks of training.

Great race and terrible time guess on my part! I thought the weather would mess with you way more than it did!

I think the rain certainly impacted me some, but I don't know how much. My clothes were absolutely drenched so much I could (and did) wring them out when I took them off.

As for the T+D, my last paced Tempo run in Nike Next% had estimated that my HR at 152 was a 6:56 min/mile in ideal weather on a flat course. My HR in this HM was a 152 average. Adjusting the 7:16 pace for GAP made it 7:14. Adjusting 3% for the T+D (138) gives me an ideal/flat HM pace of 7:01 min/mile. So actually pretty close to the prediction based on the last paced run. So it would appear the weather impacted me about as expected. No sun definitely made a difference though because I wasn't able to drink as much water on course as planned and add in T+D and the sun could have spelled trouble.

Tremendous race, Billy. Sounds like you had a real breakthrough on the mental side of things. I look forward to seeing what Phase 2 brings.

Congratulations Billy!! Awesome race, and amazing work on the mental fitness aspect as well. Will jump into your prediction contest for the next one. :)

Yay me!!! :)

:woohoo:

Tremendous race, Billy. Sounds like you had a real breakthrough on the mental side of things. I look forward to seeing what Phase 2 brings.

Thanks! I think things lined up to make this a good race to try a new mental strategy. Using GAP and a fitness range was helpful. Excited for Phase 2 since I finally get to do some real structured pace running.

Congratulations Billy!! Awesome race, and amazing work on the mental fitness aspect as well. Will jump into your prediction contest for the next one. :)

Thanks! Looking forward to your joining the game!

So impressive that you hit your goals in those conditions! Great race!

Thanks! I'm very happy with the near even splits.

Nicely done!!

Thanks!

Maurten just released a caffeinated gel😆

Interesting. 25g carb and 100mg caffeine. Could get in trouble quick if people don't realize the 400mg recommended limit.

You math is impressive- this is close enough to 1:34:22, I would argue that the precision or accuracy of your timing device has more error than your calculation.

Thanks! And the original time before I added my Next% adjustment was 1:35:02. So I think I'm getting closer on reading the data correctly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter