To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

@DopeyBadger that helps a lot. I kept seeing that first half slow so I kept pushing the second half to catch up. I have to look at previous T + I + R but I am pretty sure my T miles were more consistent. I was doing a loop so I think those first halves were into the wind more but still was working so hard on that T that I was a dream. I guess go out and focus on tomorrow 6 at EA. Try and stay at EA.

@DopeyBadger that helps a lot. I kept seeing that first half slow so I kept pushing the second half to catch up. I have to look at previous T + I + R but I am pretty sure my T miles were more consistent. I was doing a loop so I think those first halves were into the wind more but still was working so hard on that T that I was a dream. I guess go out and focus on tomorrow 6 at EA. Try and stay at EA.

Just remember that at the end of the day the paces are "effort" based. So if you're running into a 20mph headwind the expectation isn't that you're able to "hit pace". And just like running up and down hills the gain from downhill/with wind at back does not make up for uphill/wind in face. It's more like a 2-3x effect. Lose 30 seconds of pace going uphill/into the wind and only gain 10 second back from the equal downhill/wind at back. Just use this workout as another learning lesson and move on to the next one. No one workout defines you or the training plan.

6 Weeks to Go! (The Sixth Sense) + TrainerRoad High Volume Full Triathlon Plan Week 22/28 + 80 Day Obsession - Phase 2/Week 4

11/25/19 - M - OFF
11/26/19 - T - 80DO-AAA + Budawang+3 (90 min; 114 TSS)
11/27/19 - W - 6 x 4 min @ 3k pace (Run)
11/28/19 - R - Whiteside-1 (135 min; 150 TSS) + [3+2+1 at LT to HM Tempo] (Run)
11/29/19 - F - 80DO-Total Body Core + Townsend (90 min; 59 TSS)
11/30/19 - Sa - Gasherbrum (270 min; 198 TSS) + 60 min Brick Run at Easy (Run)
12/1/19 - Su - 90 min @ LR (Run) + 80DO-Cardio Flow

Total Run Miles - 33.3 miles
Total Run Time - 4:37 hours
Total Run TSS - 269 TSS

Total Biking Time - 9:45 hours
Total Biking TSS - 521 TSS

Total 80DO Time - 2:42 hours
Total 80DO TSS - 45 TSS

Total Training Time - 17:05 hours
Total TSS - 835 TSS

Monday

Off day. Inside of my right shin didn't feel good. Had that feeling of a bone problem, but I was suspicious as to whether it was real. Yea, I did a ton of training over the weekend, but these bone things aren't normally something that appears immediately after a big weekend. So I was skeptical and mentally checked it off as something minor.

Tuesday

AAA at 2x15 going through each series and then moving on to the next series
Series 1 - Bilateral Press, Alt Unilateral Press, Lateral Raise, Y, Lat Side Bend, Standing Weight Knee Drive, Loop Standing Donkey, Forearm Plank Jumping Jacks
Series 2 - Chest Press, Fly, Kickback in Plank, Tricep Pushup, Corkscrew, Teaser, 1st Pos. Bridge, Single Leg Bridge w/ Loop
Series 3 - Pullovers, Renegade Row, Curls, Turned Out Curls, Loop Scissor Twist, V Leg Raise, Narrow Bridge Clam, Straight Leg Curls

Cycling: Budawang +3 is 5x9-minute intervals at 102% FTP with 6-minute recoveries between intervals. RPM at 90. So 1 minute longer than the suprathreshold pacing in the prior phase, but at 102% FTP instead of 105% FTP. Too bad I raised my FTP last week and that nullified everything. Ooof!

Wednesday

Evening Run:
Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 22mph to 35mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 32°F + 25°F; FL - 20°F
End: Temp+Dew = 32°F + 24°F; FL - 20°F

A 6 x 4 min at I pace. I was interested to see whether the bone pain was real or not.

Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 1.08.56 PM.png

Let's just put this out there... the wind was BRUTAL! A sustained 22 mph and gusts as high as 35-45 mph. It was insane the difference between the directions. Knew there was no possible way to have pace expectations in this one. It was like someone was pushing on my chest when I was running into the wind. But even with that I somehow pulled off this:

Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 1.11.01 PM.png

A 5:50 min/mile pace for a 1/2 mile with the wind. I think I probably burned myself on that interval because I didn't have the will to continue to fight the wind for the remainder of the workout. It was just so freakin' hard. So I cut the 6th interval short and called it a day. Steph's family was back at the house decorating cookies. On the CD my right achilles got really tight. It stayed tight for the remainder of the evening.

Thursday

Busy Thanksgiving day on tap. So the cycling workout started at 6:15am.

Cycling: .Whiteside -1 is 5x20 Sweet Spot repeats at 88% FTP each separated by 5 minutes of active recovery. RPM at 89. An increase of 3% from two weeks ago. Didn't feel like I struggled with this one as much as the one two weeks ago. Although waking up at 5:00am instead of 2:55am could easily be the contributing factor.

Then I got cleaned up and we headed to go see Frozen 2.

Afternoon Run:
Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 3mph to 3mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 32°F + 27°F; FL - 33°F
End: Temp+Dew = 33°F + 26°F; FL - 33°F

Originally this was scheduled as 10 min WU + 40 min LT to HM Tempo + 10 min CD. The 40 min of LT is very aggressive. So I decided to do what felt good.

Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 1.43.24 PM.png

I started off by just running fast and what felt sustainable. Once the first mile came in at 6:40 I was happily surprised. Up to this point, any time the TSS of the morning cycling session was over 75 I was unable to get my pace down below 6:50. So to have the highest TSS yet for this type of double day (150) and be able to hit the sub-6:50 pace was nice. But I figured I probably went out too aggressive and was going to over cook the legs. Instead of backing off I just tried to maintain the effort. The next mile came in a 6:38 and I knew now it was probably the right pace for this day. As the third mile came up I considered changing the workout from a sustained 40 min to a 3+2+1 instead. So wrapped up the first three miles with a 6:39 and decided to aim for a 3 min resting interval. Those first three miles were good and felt strong but definitely not easy.

Then after the RI was done, I started back up again aiming for 2 miles. Except this time it was different. Everything felt effortless. I was gliding on air with little or no effort. It was another runner's high day. Just pure euphoria. So I settled in and enjoyed the moment because these don't come around all that often. The first mile was a 6:32 and the second a 6:41. Took a nice and easy 3 min RI and started back up again. To my excitement I still had that euphoric feeling and glided through the last mile split at 6:30. All in all it was roughly 40 min at an average GAP of 6:35 with an astonishingly low HR average of 149. As in historic marathon tempo HR.

I decided to look back through history to find a similar euphoric run with similar results:

12/12/2017
Daniels T = 6:38, 6:28, 6:29, 6:33, 6:33, 6:28

BOOM! That first interval dinged me at 0.5 miles that I was too slow. True story! I was around a 6:47 min/mile and knew the only way to get this one into the window was give it a best effort push down to 6:28 min/mile pace (still within window and bring the whole interval to 6:38). Just decided to hold that pace for as long as possible. It wasn't that hard through mile 2, but man oh man was my body fighting me during mile 3. I was able to get the interval in. As soon as the "rest" started, I was thinking to myself "how the heck am I going to do that again?" I was beat. But I let the second tick away and just jogged around slowly. Then 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, go time... The same strategy again. Start slow and then hold on. But surprisingly when I had my first check in, my "start slow" was a 6:28 min/mile. Woot Woot! Great sign, but I really needed to pull back. I didn't want to start too fast and then fade. Clicked off the 6:33 min/mile and then said just 2 more miles. Clicked off the next 6:33 and said, alright just do that one more time. Keep holding on. Thankfully and surprisingly this 3rd mile was not nearly as difficult as the first 3rd mile. A 6:28 min/mile to finish it off.

I knew it would be close to a new 10k PR. I thought somewhere around 41:30s. Low and behold, a 41:35! So a 1 min PR, 6/6 intervals, and 6:31 min/mile average. Nailed it! Thankful to crush the most difficult Tuesday Daniels T run of the plan. Things will start to wind down from here as we're only 23 days out from the 5k start.

The HR average was 152. That's more marathon tempo than Threshold HR, but I KNOW I could not maintain that pace for a marathon. Something between 6:58 and 6:31, sure. But not 6:31.

That's it really. This could easily be one of my Top 3 runs of all time given the circumstances. And for it to come in the afternoon after a 135 min cycling day is astonishingly good. Just had to enjoy it because I know these things can have 2 years between occurrences.

After the run was done, I got cleaned up again and then we had Thanksgiving dinner with Steph's family.

Friday

TBC at 2x15 going through each series and then moving on to the next series
Series 1 (Shoulder) - Squat/Row/Twist/Row, Kneeling Lunge Clean & Press, Quad Ped Opposite Arm Knee Crunch
Series 2 (Chest) - Chest Press to Half Turkish Get-up, Spider Man Push-ups, Frog Sliders
Series 3 (Back) - "T" to Single-Leg Hip Hinge, Lat Pull Over w/ Leg Raise, Weighted Plank Hip Drop
Series 4 (Biceps) - Low Twisting Lunge Hammer Curl, Press Out to Curl, Weighted Standing Torso Rotation
Series 5 (Triceps) - Crab Position Tricep Dip to Sit Through, Alternating Skull Crusher with Bicycle Legs, French Twist

Cycling: Townsend consists of 90 minutes of aerobic Endurance riding spent between 60-70% FTP. RPM at 87.

Saturday

Another party with Steph's family to celebrate Christmas. So I had to get this 5.5 hr activity done in time.

Cycling: Gasherbrum is 4.5 hours of aerobic Endurance riding spent between 65-75% FTP. RPM at 86. Steph had to go to work in the morning so G came down and visited me a few times which made this ride last a little longer than normal. Even with that, my rear end was sore from the cumulative effect from these last few weeks. As soon as the ride was done I got some running clothes on and headed out the door.

Brick Run:
Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 16mph to 28mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 36°F + 34°F; FL - 27°F
End: Temp+Dew = 37°F + 34°F; FL - 27°F

Just a nice and easy 60 min run after 4.5 hrs of cycling. My achilles was tight again from about the halfway point. This has occurred on and off the last two weeks and I think it's the cambered streets rearing their head again. So I decided to be more decisive on switching up the route and side of the street I was running on. This gave me nearly instant relief and was a sign that my guess was good. Just have to be more cognizant in the last 6 weeks not to overdo it on either side of the street. In total, 7.4 miles in 62 min (8:27 min/mile) with HR of 130.

Happy to get through the longest consecutive training workout yet at 5.5 hrs. The TSS was 259 and only behind two of my marathons in total stress.

Oh and then there was this...

Sunday

Morning Run:
Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 9mph to 9mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 34°F + 33°F; FL - 26°F
End: Temp+Dew = 33°F + 33°F; FL - 26°F

Decided to take it very easy. A total of 10.44 miles in 90 min (8:37 min/mile) with HR of 129 (although there are some suspicious moments in the HR data).

80DO Cardio Flow to end the week!

My Fitness TSS is now the highest ever at 104 and fatigue up to 134.

Next week is peak week! ACK! A total of just under 20 hrs of training. A 90 min interval high end HIM Tempo ride, 6 x 4 min I, 120 min continuous HIM Tempo + 90 min Easy Brick Run, 5.5 hr cycling ride, and to cap off a 180 min run! It's a lot, but my mind and body are ready and willing.

5 Weeks to Go! (The Fifth Element) + TrainerRoad High Volume Full Triathlon Plan Week 23/28 + 80 Day Obsession - Phase 3/Week 1

12/2/19 - M - OFF
12/3/19 - T - 80DO-AAA + Stromolo+4 (90 min; 118 TSS)
12/4/19 - W - 6 x 4 min @ 3k pace (Run)
12/5/19 - R - Polar Bear (120 min; 122 TSS) + 90 min Brick Run at Easy (Run)
12/6/19 - F - 80DO-Total Body Core + Townsend (90 min; 59 TSS)
12/7/19 - Sa - Neblina (330 min; 237 TSS) + 60 min Brick Run at Easy (Run)
12/8/19 - Su - 180 min @ LR (Run) + 80DO-Cardio Flow

Total Run Miles - 47.7 miles
Total Run Time - 6:31 hours
Total Run TSS - 366 TSS

Total Biking Time - 10:30 hours
Total Biking TSS - 536 TSS

Total 80DO Time - 2:53 hours
Total 80DO TSS - 58 TSS

Total Training Time - 19:55 hours (PR)
Total TSS - 960 TSS (PR)

Monday

Off day.

Tuesday

Series 1: Czech Press, Front Raise, Slider Windshield Wipers, Side Lunge Hold
Series 2: Bridge Pull Over, Camel Bicep Curl, Weighted Twisted Roll Down, Marching Bridge
Series 3: Bridge Bilateral Press, Tricep Kickback in Lunge, Weighted Knee Drops, Curtsy Lunge Pulse

Cycling: Stromlo +4 is 6x8-minute intervals at 102% FTP with 4-minute recoveries between intervals. RPM at 91. I was able to manage the workout to the best of my ability.

Wednesday

Evening Run:
Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 5mph to 11mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 36°F + 26°F; FL - 31°F
End: Temp+Dew = 35°F + 26°F; FL - 31°F

6 x 4 min at 3k pace

Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 1.12.18 PM.png

Less wind than last week. The run went really well. The GAP was 6:04, 5:55, 5:54, 6:05, 6:16, and 5:41. The 6:16 was a bit of an anomaly. Couldn't tell if I was fading or not. So I decided to really attack the last interval and go for 2 min instead of 4 min. Still got it!

Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 1.12.36 PM.png

Overall the GAP was 5:59 which is the fastest average ever. And with that my VO2max value... dropped to 57? LOL. Whatevs.

Thursday

I had the day off work.

Cycling: Polar Bear is 120 minutes of continuous riding where you'll spend 105 minutes between 80-85% FTP. RPM at 85. This workout did not go well. My body felt fairly flat and I had trouble hitting pace throughout. I even had to finally drop the FTP of the workout towards the latter portion because I was just exhausted. I did get a second wind towards the end and was able to pick the FTP back up to 100% scheduled with less issues. Didn't know how that was going to bode for the brick run right after.

Brick Run:
Conditions - ⛅ Partly Cloudy, Wind 7mph to 7mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 37°F + 31°F; FL - 32°F
End: Temp+Dew = 40°F + 32°F; FL - 32°F

Decided based on the cycling workout just to take it nice and easy. In total, 10.9 miles in 90 min (8:16 pace; 8:11 GAP) with HR of 134. A decent run overall and I think I managed it well.

Friday

TBC at 2x15 going through each series and then moving on to the next series
Series 1: Surrender to Shoulder Press, Quad Ped Crawl, Burpee Sliders
Series 2: Bent Over Row Tap Back, Squat Tabletop Row, Saw on Sliders
Series 3: Modified 1/2 Turkish Push-up, Side Reach Push-up, V Crunch to Scissor Crunch
Series 4: Runner's Lunge Curl, Static Sumo Hammer Curl, Slider Crawl Out
Series 5: Tricep Push up w/ knee tuck, Squat Hold Kickbacks, Weighted Windmills

Cycling: Townsend consists of 90 minutes of aerobic Endurance riding spent between 60-70% FTP. RPM at 88. My poor rear end is so sore from all the time I've been spending on the saddle lately.

Saturday

Cycling: Neblina is 5 hours 30 minutes of aerobic Endurance riding spent between 65-75% FTP. RPM at 85. This one was a struggle. But not because I was physically tired, but because I just couldn't get comfortable in the saddle. Not much I could do about it other than push through. I ended up changing clothes after 3 hrs because I was just soaked and it was adding an increase in uncomfortableness. In the end though, I was able to get through it.

I think the hardest part of these days is getting in enough calories. Riding for 5.5 hrs takes a sizeable portion of the day. Then, doing the evening run at 5:30ish. Which means the last big meal can be at 2:30ish. So it doesn't leave a ton of time between finishing the bike ride and trying to get two meals in. So I just ate a bunch of calories after the run was done.

Evening Run:
Conditions - ☁️ Partly Cloudy, Wind 14mph to 28mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 34°F + 30°F; FL - 25°F
End: Temp+Dew = 33°F + 29°F; FL - 25°F

Just nice and easy. Saving the energy for tomorrow. The run felt smooth overall and not stressful in the least. In total, nearly 7 miles in 60 min (8:38 pace; 8:32 GAP) with HR of 126. After the 5.5 hrs of cycling in the morning, it was nice that the run felt ok.

Officially the highest TSS day ever at 291 surpassing all marathons I've run with a HR monitor.

Sunday

Didn't get to bed at a good time because the Badgers made a game of the Big Ten Championship. Just made for good Disney practice given I had to run far on little sleep. I woke up tired and just wanted to go back to bed. But since Steph had to leave for work at 10:15, it was either do it or it doesn't happen. I wasn't about to let it not happen.

Morning Run:
Conditions - ☁️ Partly Cloudy, Wind 15mph to 32mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 34°F + 30°F; FL - 24°F
End: Temp+Dew = 37°F + 34°F; FL - 24°F

Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 1.32.05 PM.png

This one was fairly tough from the first step. I started off the run at a comfortable pace. After about 0.5 miles, I realized that comfortable wasn't close to LR. So I decided to pick up the pace and see if I could get anywhere near the normal LR pace (7:40-7:50s). I really started to question whether I wanted to continue several times throughout the run. After 30 min, it was just make it to 60 min. Then it was just make it to 90 min. After 90 min, I was ready to say job well done. But then I was still hitting the splits even though I was tired, that I decided to see if I could make it to 120 min. By the time I hit 120 min, I knew it was only a lap and touch left. So since I was at 120 I might as well get to 160 min and then reevaluate. Made it to 160 min and just counted down the last 5 min blocks of time to the finish. For the most part, through the first 19-20/22 miles the GAP was fairly even. But around 20 miles is when the effort was becoming harder. I decided just to coast into the finish because my body was sore and tired and little was going to be gained. So I just went on auto-pilot after mile 20 and the GAP slowly rose from there.

I was exhausted when I finished, but I did finish. And I don't think at this point that I caused myself any serious harm. In total it was 22.77 miles in 180 min (7:55 pace; 7:49 GAP). It was the longest distance training run I've ever done. The wind didn't make it easy (15-32 mph), but I got it done. The HR was 133 which is solid.

80DO Cardio Flow to end the week! That gives me 10:20 hrs of exercise in the last two days.

My Fitness TSS is now the highest ever at 109 and fatigue up to 144. This was peak week so that's the highest Fatigue score I'll have for the remainder of the plan. In total nearly 20 hrs and 206 miles. Doing more than 4 hrs on the bike trainer is really wearing on me. Getting happy that the training plan is going to start winding down now.

Next week is FINALLY a "recovery" week. Only 3x3 min I, then another 4am morning with 120 min cycling + a 30 min LT to HM Tempo in the evening, then Friday and Saturday are easy workouts in advance of the big test brick workout of 4 hrs cycling at IM pace + 75 min at M Tempo. That 75 min M Tempo workout on its own is hard enough so I'm not sure what'll happen post 4 hrs cycling.

Did you see the latest NYtimes article re: Nike 4%/next%? I’ve been crazy busy so barely skimmed it, I can’t tell if they controlled for variables like weather, terrain, training etc. but looks like lots of data and statistical analysis you might get a kick out of:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...nt-shoe-estimates.html?searchResultPosition=2

I did read the article the other day. My understanding is they had a minimal number of variables (race, year, performance, and shoe being worn). They did not control for other variables like weather, terrain, training, etc. They did several different analyses.

1) Change in race time based on previous result in any race when switching shoes. Next% at 4.2% above baseline and 2% above next best shoe. Although the confidence intervals are wide on the shoes just below Next%.

2) Change in race time when a runner completes the exact same race in different years. In one case whether they stayed the same vs someone who changed shoes. Next% shows 5% gain vs baseline and 2.5% gain vs next best shoe. This analysis in a way controls for the course, but not the weather or training.

3) Change in race time when switching shoe. Next% at 4.8% over baseline and 1.8% better than next best shoe.

4) How often a new PR occurs in shoe. Next% is 75% vs next best shoe at 65%.

The different analyses are not perfect. But that doesn't mean the conclusions need to be thrown out. Since Next% was shown to be far and away the best shoe in all these cases says something at a minimum. It probably offers "some" benefit over most every other shoe on the market. How much can be debated. But there definitely seems to be something different with it. It will be interesting over the next few years as the other shoe manufacturers come out with their similar versions to see how they compare. Saucony comes out in 2020. Hoka came out in 2019 (but not enough people wearing it yet to make any conclusions per the NYT article).

An assumption being made (good or bad) is that training, weather, terrain, purpose of the race for runners in each different sample subset is "smoothed out" over all the subsets equally. But it's also entirely possible runners are only breaking out their Next% shoes for optimal weather on flat courses when their training went really really well. Otherwise they're deferring to their "lesser" shoes in non-ideal situations. This could influence the data.

From my personal experience in my limited times in wearing the Next%, I can definitely say it's different. Whether it offers a substantial gain is debatable for me. I've raced in it twice and in both occasions finished in a time that was pre-predicted using Garmin VO2max - value assumptions based on pre-Next% data. Although with the being said, the Madison HM felt different. I felt rather strong throughout and felt like I was holding back. So it's debatable whether I could have run faster on that day. My HR was 148 which was my lowest HR for a HM and I ran it 2 min faster than my PR. Although my PR was weak given it came from Dopey 2018 (post 5k and 10k races). So in the NYT analysis if my data were included it would show me running a PR and 2 min faster. But the debate would be whether comparing Madison 2019 vs Dopey 2018 is necessarily fair given the other factors around it. So that's why I say there's probably something to the shoe, and it even may be individual effects, but in the case of the population they used the general consensus is the Next% offers "some" advantage over most other shoes.

RE: That article, they didn't randomize people into different shoes, obviously, and there are a lot of confounds there. For instance, I switched to Hoka Cliftons when I got injured, because they are squishier, and there is no way I am getting a PR in this race. I'm going to guess lots of people switch to cushier shoes when stuff isn't going their way or they anticipate problems. Conversely, people are more likely to cough up for, and bust out the 4%s when they are feeling confident in their training up to that point. This doesn't wipe away any findings but that's just one thing that jumped out to me.
edited to add that I see Billy said that already! Well, great minds, etc etc

Last edited:
4 Weeks to Go! (I Am Number 4) + TrainerRoad High Volume Full Triathlon Plan Week 24/28 + 80 Day Obsession - Phase 3/Week 2

12/9/19 - M - OFF
12/10/19 - T - 80DO-AAA + Stromolo+3 (90 min; 110 TSS)
12/11/19 - W - 3 x 3 min @ 3k pace (Run)
12/12/19 - R - Wright Peak-1 (120 min; 135 TSS) + 30 min Evening Run at LT to HM Tempo (Run)
12/13/19 - F - 80DO-Total Body Core + Whorl (75 min; 49 TSS)
12/14/19 - Sa - Truuli (60 min; 61 TSS) + 40 min Evening Run at Easy (Run)
12/15/19 - Su - Longfellow (240 min; 176 TSS) + 75 min Brick Run at M Tempo (Run)

Total Run Miles - 26.5 miles
Total Run Time - 3:27 hours
Total Run TSS - 222 TSS

Total Biking Time - 9:45 hours
Total Biking TSS - 531 TSS

Total 80DO Time - 1:45 hours
Total 80DO TSS - 40 TSS

Total Training Time - 14:55 hours
Total TSS - 793 TSS

Monday

Off day. My left groin was really uncomfortable when I woke up. It was somewhat noticeable on the Sunday 180 min run, but not enough to stop me. Then it was fine through the day. But the 80DO Cardio Flow I think aggravated it further because it was uncomfortable Sunday night. Iced it in the evening.

Tuesday

Decided to go ahead and still give the 80DO a try with the groin and adjust if necessary. For the most part I was able to complete it in full.

AAA at 3x10 going through each series and then moving on to the next series
Series 2: Bridge Pull Over, Camel Bicep Curl, Weighted Twisted Roll Down, Marching Bridge
Series 3: Bridge Bilateral Press, Tricep Kickback in Lunge, Weighted Knee Drops, Curtsy Lunge Pulse

Cycling: Stromlo +3 is 5x8-minute intervals at 102% FTP with 5-minute recoveries between intervals. RPM at 88. The last suprathreshold workout. Gigi came down and asked me if I could check the TV and see if what she had chosen to watch was "appropriate". It was "Ugly Dolls", so I was good with it. What a goof! If it weren't for that one break to check the TV upstairs I was actually able to complete the whole workout with a single stop/adjustment for rear end uncomfortableness. My groin was noticeable during the cycling ride, but again didn't prevent me from doing what I needed to do.

Wednesday

Groin was still uncomfortable throughout the day. Decided to do some digging in this journal to see what historically a groin injury has cost me in recovery/training time. Found this post from September 2017:

Bad news: Left groin is sore today. No issues on Monday and then I woke up with a sore groin on Tuesday. Didn't really bother me all day and then no issues during the CV workout. Woke up on Wednesday and it was sore again. Ran on Wednesday without issue and iced it last night. Woke up this morning and still sore.

Good news: I have a training journal that I document these kind of instances.

6/27/17 - Pulled groin stretching after my M Tempo. Successfully completed 14 miles at LR pace on 7/2 without issue.
7/4/17 - Groin soreness after a CV workout. Successfully completed a 8 mile M Tempo on 7/6 without issue.
7/24/17 - Groin soreness after G's tee ball practice. Successfully completed a Ladder CV, Progression, and Hybrid LR with fast finish without issue in days after.
8/1/17 - Tight groin during HM Tempo workout. Successfully completed workout, 9 mile M Tempo, and 18 mile LR without issue days after.

That was the last time I had groin soreness. My guess is that it's been lingering in the background since August but has never really been an issue. It also appears that while it's noticeable during the daily life that it seems to not bother me during the run or get worse because I ran on it. Fingers crossed this continues to hold true. I'm just being taper minded I'm sure because it feels like 99% good. Just a hint.

So the last time I had a groin injury was the Summer of 2017. It came and went until race day in October 2017. But the general conclusion was that as much it might bother me during my normal life, it seemed to be rather minimally impactful during running. So that helped put my mind at ease.

Evening Run:
Conditions - 🌙 Clear, Wind 2mph to 3mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 15°F + -2°F; FL - 15°F
End: Temp+Dew = 15°F + -1°F; FL - 15°F

3 x 3 min at 3k (Daniels I) pace

Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 3.07.28 PM.png

It was a cold evening. That first interval took some time to get warmed up and came in quite slow (6:17 GAP). But after that I was able to turn the juices on and came out with a 5:50 GAP. Then, I really wanted to see if I could set a new half mile PR with a good clean interval.

Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 3.12.02 PM.png

As G used to say, "Boom Baby!". I was definitely struggling late in that interval, but I was happy to hold on for a new 1/2 mile PR. I took advantage of the greatly reduced workload of this workout. Instead of the 6 x 4 min intervals, this was only 3 x 3 min. But it's not 24 min vs 9 min. Because the VO2max intervals don't really kick in until 2 min in an interval. So it's really 12 min vs 3 min, which is a pretty big difference in workouts.

Thursday

Super early morning again. Up at 3:10am.

Cycling: Wright Peak -1 is 3x30-minute intervals at 90% FTP with with brief, 30- to 60-second intermediate recoveries during each long interval. 5-minute recoveries fall between intervals. RPM at 83. These early morning rides are a drag. During the last 30 min segment I decided to briefly drop the intensity of the ride and things felt better. I rode at a reduced rate for 15 min, and then kicked it back up to 100% for the last 5 min of the workout. I'll cut myself some slack on a 3:40am cycling ride.

Evening Run:
Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 12mph to 21mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 37°F + 27°F; FL - 29°F
End: Temp+Dew = 36°F + 27°F; FL - 29°F

A 30 min sustained LT to HM Tempo that I was going to play by ear and split the interval if I wanted to. The last time I did the Thursday double was when I had a sudden "peaking" run and was on clouds. Maybe that would happen again... Probably not.

Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 3.17.12 PM.png

Nope... not peaking today. This one was a struggle. I was giving a very very good effort to maintain pace. The pace was way too slow to start and I really upped the effort. First mile in 6:50, then 6:40s. Took a brief 2 min break, and then decided to tighten the screws again. 6:46 and then 6:40. Overall each interval was GAP average of 6:44. With a HR average of 151, it was a good place to be. A strong effort coming off an early morning workout.

Friday

Fell back asleep in the morning. When I woke up I knew I didn't have time for the full TBC workout. So it was, scrap the whole thing, or get in what I could. I decided to do 2 of the three rep sessions instead of the three.

TBC at 2x10 going through each series and then moving on to the next series
Series 3: Modified 1/2 Turkish Push-up, Side Reach Push-up, V Crunch to Scissor Crunch

Cycling: Whorl consists of 75 minutes of aerobic Endurance work spent between 60-75% FTP. RPM at 87. It was nice to have a nice and easy ride.

Saturday

Cycling: Truuli is a priming workout meant to precede any endurance event and is recommended 24 hours prior to your event. This version includes 3x4-minute steady-state efforts right at your FTP followed by three 90-second efforts between 115-125% FTP. RPM at 88. This was a reduced cycling activity similar to what I'm suppose to do prior to the Disney marathon. Although since I'm at POP I don't have access to a bike to do this on. But with tomorrow's workout looming, this was a practice primer.

Evening Run:
Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 14mph to 24mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 21°F + 13°F; FL - 8°F
End: Temp+Dew = 21°F + 12°F; FL - 8°F

Cold, windy, and a late evening (well late for me) since Steph had a weekend work day. But I got it done and took it very very slow. Ended up with 4.5 miles in 40 min (8:53 pace) with HR of 127. A nice and easy recovery run in advance of tomorrow's massive brick workout.

Sunday

Cycling: Longfellow is 4 hours of aerobic Endurance riding spent between 65-75% FTP. RPM at 82. The ride started out alright, but as it continued on it wore my poor bum out. But I got it done, and then mentally prepared myself for a massive 75 min M Tempo brick run. Ended up being about 57 miles per my trainer.

Brick Run:
Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 6mph to 7mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 17°F + 6°F; FL - 9°F
End: Temp+Dew = 20°F + 6°F; FL - 9°F

Took a brief few moments to check the weather and assess my clothing choices. It was a bit colder than I thought it would be, but I didn't want to overdress since I was trying to run fast. The big decision was whether to wear the Next% shoes or not. In the end, I wanted to see what I could do without them like I had done in most of all the training in the last few months. I had a caff Maurten gel right before starting, and then I was out the door.

Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 3.25.08 PM.png

A little bit of a slow start (7:15 GAP), but I was starting to feel more comfortable in mile 2 and 3 as my breathing rate dropped. A 7:02 and 6:52 GAP mile. Then the drinking lap, and another full lap set. I had an Egel right after the end of the big lap (4.2 miles in 29 min). The downhill was 6:58, then 6:52, then 6:47 and things were feeling good. The drinking lap was slow again (7:11) and then I was off on the last big abbreviated lap. A 6:58, then 6:55, and a partial mile in 7:01. I won't mince words about this last 2.2 mile lap. I was tired. I imagined the marathon course and really focused hard during this portion. My legs were screaming, but I was determined to hold on in prep for the real thing. Right after I finished and looked at myself in the mirror, I looked like an absolute wreck. I actually didn't even recognize myself in the mirror. But I did it. In total it was 10.65 miles in 75 min (7:04 pace, 7:00 GAP) and HR average of 143. My Garmin VO2max is back up to 59, but I have not yet cracked 60. I'm really happy with this workout overall. 5.25 hours in what was close to a simulated Half Ironman (minus the swimming which is obviously a very important part of an HIM). But to be able to hold a 7:00 min/mile for 75 min AFTER 4 hours of cycling has to mean something for Disney. Now the question is, can I manage 6:49 pace for 180 minutes with 0 minutes of cycling proceeding it. That's what I'm hoping to answer with a healthy attempt in 28 days. I think with 28 days to go there's little else I can do to prep my body physically to be prepared to make this attempt. Now, it's really about staying healthy and not doing anything stupid.

I decided after a 5.25 hour workout in the morning I was fine with skipping the 80DO Cardio Flow to end the week!

Next week is the final peak week (although slightly less than last week). A 6x4 min I, then 120 min cycling + a 90 min easy brick, then the peak cycling workout with 6 hours on the bike, and finally starting heat acclimation training off right with a 3 hour run in Disney World. I feel like it's taking the training regimen to the extreme to travel to Disney just for a 3 hour run. But Steph insisted it was a great idea... :rotfl2:

3 Weeks to Go! (Three Amigos) + TrainerRoad High Volume Full Triathlon Plan Week 25/28 + 80 Day Obsession - Phase 3/Week 3

12/16/19 - M - OFF
12/17/19 - T - 80DO-AAA + Elwell (60 min; 80 TSS)
12/18/19 - W - 5.75 x 4 min @ 3k pace (Run)
12/19/19 - R - Polar Bear (120 min; 98 TSS) + 90 min Brick Run at Easy (Run)
12/20/19 - F - 80DO-Total Body Core + Townsend (90 min; 59 TSS)
12/21/19 - Sa - Bandeira (360 min; 259 TSS) + 45 min Evening Run at Easy (Run)
12/22/19 - Su - 75 min at Long Run (Run)

Total Run Miles - 31.5 miles
Total Run Time - 4:31 hours
Total Run TSS - 229 TSS

Total Biking Time - 10:30 hours
Total Biking TSS - 496 TSS

Total 80DO Time - 1:59 hours
Total 80DO TSS - 34 TSS

Total Training Time - 17:00 hours
Total TSS - 759 TSS

Monday

Off day. Groin issues have subsided, but I was having some bone pain in my left leg. Couldn't tell if it was the site of my 2016 stress reaction or something new. That bone formation bothers me from time to time when the muscle tissue around it gets to large and fills in the space.

Tuesday

AAA at 3x10 going through each series and then moving on to the next series

Cycling: Elwell is an assortment of suprathreshold efforts consisting of 2x7 minutes at 105% FTP, 2x5 minutes at 108% FTP, 3 minutes at 115% FTP and 2 minutes at 121% FTP. Recoveries between intervals are all 3 minutes long. RPM of 92. The purpose of these rides as per TR:

When your fitness nears its peak, it's beneficial to combine numerous types of suprathreshold and VO2max intervals in a more race-realistic format. The aim here is to keep increasing the demand placed on your metabolic capabilities with the intent of furthering your sustainable, repeatable high-end power output.

I like these types of workouts that touch all types of different paces. I seem to handle them better.

Wednesday

Bone pain was still there and was interested to see what effect, if any, it would have on the first run of the week.

Evening Run:
Conditions - 🌙 Clear, Wind 4mph to 6mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 15°F + 0°F; FL - 8°F
End: Temp+Dew = 14°F + 1°F; FL - 8°F

5.75 x 4 min at 3k (Daniels I) pace

Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 1.54.13 PM.png

Everything was clicking for this run. No issues with the bone what so ever. I was flying and feeling good. GAP intervals of 6:03, 5:51, 5:48, 5:51, 5:54, and 5:47. Easily the fastest I paced run I've ever done with a GAP average of 5:52 at 4 min of run time. I've never run a sub-6 min/mile, but it sure felt like I probably could have pulled it off today. A good thing is this is the first time I've actually hit the sub-3 hr marathon 3k pace intervals.

Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 1.56.48 PM.png

Also, continued to throw down some fastest splits ever.

Thursday

Took the day off from work for this 3.5 hr workout.

Cycling: Polar Bear is 120 minutes of continuous riding where you'll spend 105 minutes between 80-85% FTP. RPM of 85. I could tell almost immediately I didn't have anything for this workout. Just never felt comfortable and right for the get go the pace seemed wrong. So after only about 6 min at pace, I dropped the intensity of the workout done from 220ish watts to 190ish watts. Essentially going from HIM to FIM bike leg pacing. But even the 190ish watts still felt somewhat aggressive and hard for the day. It was a bummer because I knew this was going to throw the TSS off for the last peak week. But my body told me this was necessary and I listened. Still had the brick run to complete as well.

Brick Run:
Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 10mph to 15mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 24°F + 20°F; FL - 14°F
End: Temp+Dew = 30°F + 23°F; FL - 14°F

My body was not looking forward to this one.

Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 1.58.11 PM.png

The first 3.5 miles were an absolute drag. I ate an Egel around the 3.5 mile mark and did start to feel better. As the run wore on, I felt better. All in all it was a nice, slow, easy run. In total it was 10.2 miles in 90 min (8:51 pace) with an average HR of 122. That is the lowest HR for any double digit run ever, and only 1 bpm higher than any run I've ever done over 4 miles. So truly easy.

Friday

TBC at 3x10 going through each series and then moving on to the next series

Cycling: Townsend consists of 90 minutes of aerobic Endurance riding spent between 60-70% FTP. RPM of 90. Seems the increased food and slightly lesser training load yesterday did the trick. The legs felt much better today. Glad to have an easy spin and was able to keep the RPM solid.

Saturday

So we were leaving for the airport to go to Disney World at 4:15pm. So I got the longest bike workout of the training plan started at 5am after a 4am wakeup call.

Cycling: Bandeira is 6 hours of Aerobic Endurance spent between 65-75% FTP. RPM of 89. The first 3-3.25 hours of the bike felt pretty good. I was able to keep a good RPM and my bottom was tolerating everything. But after that, things got a bit tougher. It was getting increasingly uncomfortable to continue to sit on the bike. My legs were getting increasing more tired. But I survived. Per Strava, I ended up with 93.8 miles. TR claims that riding indoors is like riding for 1.5x the time because you don't get the same relief on a ERG trainer as you do outside. No downhills to coast on. So TR claims this ride was more like 8.75 hrs of outdoor ride time, or something on the order of 135 miles. It certainly felt like. I won't mince words though. I'm glad it's done, and I could live a happy and fulfilled life never having done that again.

There wasn't much time in between these events since I needed to get ready for the flight to FL. So I shoved as much food in my face as possible and then headed out the door a few hours later.

Evening Run:
No weather data.

Took it nice and easy. Legs felt fine throughout all things considered. In total, 5.4 miles in 45 min (8:26 min/mile) with HR of 129. First time with a TSS over 300 for a single day (305).

I got cleaned up and then it was off to Disney. Left at 4:15pm. Was in the car for maybe 10 min and then suddenly had a freak out. I had originally packed my backpack to take on the trip. But that morning Heidi had paid for us to take a checked bag and so Steph emptied my backpack and put it all in a checked bag. Excpet I remember I stored some band-aids and the body glide in a pocket and not the main compartment. Steph confirmed my fears that she did not check that compartment and move the band-aids or body glide. Great... a 3 hr run with no band-aids, no body glide, and in the rain. That's going to be some major blisters and chaffing. Flight was at 8:05pm. We bought some band-aids at the airport, but no body glide. Also bought about 100oz of water in case we weren't able to find any elsewhere. Didn't land until 11:45pm. Tried as much as I could, but was never able to fall asleep on the plane.

Sunday

All week I had been tracking the FL weather for Sunday. The whole time it was predicting a sizeable rain storm for essentially the entire day. High winds, a nice steady rain, and possible tornados. So when we landed and got to the hotel at 1:30am, the decision had to be made. Do I run right now when the rain is relatively light, or do I risk it, sleep a bit, and then run early in the morning? The rain looked the lightest from 2-5am based on the radar. So I bit the bullet, put on my gear and started my run at 2am. It was now or never for a 3 hr training run.

Morning Run:
Conditions - 🌧 Light Rain, Wind 9mph to 17mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 66°F + 62°F; FL - 67°F
End: Temp+Dew = 67°F + 63°F; FL - 67°F

Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 2.34.02 PM.png

Downed my 80g Beta Fuel and was out the door. Stashed some water in a corner of the wall hoping it wouldn't be bothered by people or wildlife.

So I got started and felt relatively sluggish. I was going to run loops around the Cornado Springs resort. Based on google maps, it should have ended up being around 1.25 miles and that's roughly what it was. After the first mile or so, the legs were feeling better. Still exhausted from not yet having gone to sleep, but still going. After 45 min, I was ready for my first gel. Reached for the Maurten Caff gel and had another realization. If I eat a caff gel now, am I ever going to be able to fall sleep after this run is done? So I had the Egel instead. I saw some interesting characters out and about at 2-3 in the morning. One creepy guy I saw twice and I've got to believe he was an insomniac. So sad because he looked SOO tired. Also saw the local raccoon (named Meeko). Thankfully didn't see any snakes or gators.

Around mile 7 my body was really starting to drag. I saw the pace was starting to fade and had to decide, do I continue, or do I stop? Can I make it to 60 min, 75 min, 90 min, 120 min? Once I saw mile 8 fade a little more, I decided it was time to call it a night. While it wasn't the 180 min originally called for, it was an ok compromise. I wasn't worried because I've still got a 140 min LR on next Sunday (18 miles) which is a near peak run normally for me. In total, 8.5 miles in 73 min (8:36 min/mile) at HR of 132. All in all the HR was a bit lower than the last couple of LRs and the pace was obviously slower (because of the T+D and because it was 2am).

In total, it was 6 hrs of biking and about 2 hrs of running in less than 24 hrs with no sleep between.

I got back in the room, cleaned up, and then crashed into the bed at around 3:45am. Everyone starting waking up around 8am and I don't do well with noise and sleeping. So I was up too. Given this timing, it's probably for the best that I didn't manage the 180 min anyways. Because that means I probably wouldn't have made it to bed until 5:30am with an 8am wake-up. I would have been even more of a zombie than I already was on our first day at DW.

As for the weather, the tornados never came. The Disney bubble held and the severe weather went north and south of us. The rain was fairly steady throughout the day, but nothing I couldn't have run in anyways. So running at 2am or 5am would have been roughly the same. But no way to know that in the moment. And there didn't really end up being any time to run later in the day. We spent the day resort hopping, riding the skyliner, and just enjoying time in DW without the parks on Sunday.

Yea, there was no way 80DO Cardio Flow was going to happen.

Hooray for making it to the taper! Although this next week certainly doesn't feel like a taper. I made a few adjustments to the schedule because of the reduced mid-week brick activity this week and the loss of some training load from the 3 hr run being reduced. So I've got a 105 min bike on Tuesday night when we land, a 6 x 4 min at 3k pace with reduced resting intervals, a 136 min bike ride with HIM pacing and evening 40 min LT run, a 6hr brick activity (4.5 hr bike + 90 min easy run), and lastly a 140 min LR.

2 Weeks to Go! (Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels) + TrainerRoad High Volume Full Triathlon Plan Week 26/28 + 80 Day Obsession - Phase 3/Week 4

12/16/19 - M - OFF
12/17/19 - T - Sierra+4 (105 min; 127 TSS)
12/18/19 - W - 5.5 x 4 min @ 3k pace (Run)
12/19/19 - R - Whiteside-2 (136 min; 141 TSS) + [3+2+1 mile @ LT to HM Tempo] (Run)
12/20/19 - F - 80DO-AAA + Townsend (90 min; 59 TSS)
12/21/19 - Sa - Gasherbrum (240 min; 198 TSS) + 90 min Brick Run at Easy (Run)
12/22/19 - Su - 140 min at Progressive Loops (Run) + 80DO-Cardio Flow

Total Run Miles - 43.5 miles
Total Run Time - 5:56 hours
Total Run TSS - 374 TSS

Total Biking Time - 10:01 hours
Total Biking TSS - 525 TSS

Total 80DO Time - 1:47 hours
Total 80DO TSS - 27 TSS

Total Training Time - 17:45 hours
Total TSS - 926 TSS

Monday

Off day. It was our park day in WDW. We rope dropped AK with extra magic hours and rode on FOP and Navi. It was DOWNPOURING and totally wrecked my shoes for the day. We headed over to the resort buses to head to Boardwalk to get in the back entrance of EPCOT. But the buses apparently don't start officially running back to the hotels until 1 hr after official park open (we were there only 5 min after the park actually opened). So we took the EPCOT bus instead. Hoard of people at the EPCOT entrance. Tooled around EPCOT. Headed back to the hotel and swam. Ate dinner at the Cornado Sports Bar and had some of the best food at WDW we've had. Then headed to MK for extra hours until midnight. We were expecting it to be super busy, but after the park closed it really wasn't busy at all. Not many people taking advantage of the midnight close. So we rode on a TON of rides between closing and midnight.

Tuesday

Flight home was mid-morning. Got back to home at 6pm and then headed to Target to pick up supplies for Xmas activities. With time running out, I decided to do a harder bike ride and not the 80DO workout.

Cycling: Sierra +4 is an assortment of suprathreshold efforts consisting of 2x7 minutes at 102% FTP, 2x5 minutes at 105% FTP, 2x3 minutes at 110% FTP, 3x2 minutes at 115% FTP and 3x1 minute at 120% FTP. Recoveries between intervals are between 1-5 minutes long. RPM of 92. Really do like these mixed workouts.

Wednesday

Christmas was good. Had a piece of pie too late in the day and was worried it would infringe on the run.

Evening Run:
Conditions - ☁️ Partly Cloudy, Wind 7mph to 12mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 45°F + 42°F; FL - 42°F
End: Temp+Dew = 45°F + 42°F; FL - 42°F

5.5 x 4 min at 3k pace. Heat Acclimation Training #2 (and the first in WI). It was 42 out but I dressed like it was 0-10 degrees. I wore heavy tights, shorts, thick gloves, tank top, poorly venting jacket, and heavy hat.

Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 6.29.30 PM.png

Quite a bit slower than the past 3k paced runs. Essentially the slowest from this entire training plan. Didn't know if it was the HAT or the pie. Figured it was probably a bit of both. The key was that the effort was right throughout the run. Ended up GAP averaging 6:19. The HAT was definitely a chore, but I survived it.

Thursday

Had the day off work.

Cycling: Whiteside -2 is 5x20-minute Tempo repeats at 85% FTP each separated by 5 minutes of active recovery. RPM of 92. Tough but doable. Happy with it overall.

Evening Run:
Conditions - ☁️ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 6mph to 13mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 35°F + 32°F; FL - 30°F
End: Temp+Dew = 34°F + 31°F; FL - 30°F

Another 40 minutes of LT to HM Tempo. Decided I would let the workout guide me on whether it was 40 continuous, or 2 x 20 min, or a 3 + 2 + 1 miler. With it being HAT #3 I was interested to see whether the pace would still be good or not based on the effort. Dressed like it was 0-10 degrees again.

Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 6.34.46 PM.png

Definitely felt in control during this workout. Was excited to see the 6:46 split on the first mile and felt like I was in for a good workout. The goal was to increase/maintain pace. So when I saw 6:38 I was ecstatic. Maybe 40 continuous minutes? But the 3rd mile proved tougher, so after seeing the 6:47 I decided to take a short break. Took off for 4 min and then started back up again. I could feel some sloshing in my jacket sleeve. It wasn't water, it was sweat collecting. Either a 2 x 20 min or 3+2+1 now. First mile came in at 6:40 and then the second was a 6:50. So I decided to take another break. Was intending on taking 2-3 min, but I ended up further from my water than I expected. Because of the HAT I was sweating buckets and needed a drink. So ended up taking 5 min off instead. Decided for the last mile to really kick it up a notch to make up for the slightly longer break. Rounded out the workout with a 6:32 mile. Not bad at all for not being "in the groove" like the workout a few weeks ago. I'll take it. All in all it was an average GAP of 6:41 with a HR of 152. The HR of 152 is historical HM Tempo and that's with HAT. So definitely a solid workout coming off two other hard workouts in the last 24 hrs.

I got back to the house and unvelcro'd my jacket sleeves. It was SO gross how much liquid came pouring out of the arm sleeve.

Friday

Cycling: Townsend consists of 90 minutes of aerobic Endurance riding spent between 60-70% FTP. RPM of 90.

It was Steph's birthday so her friends came over. Up later than I wanted to be (yea 10:30pm is super late for me), but it was nice to share some laughs. G was having a sleepover at Grandma's.

Saturday

With G at Grandma's I didn't have a huge rush in the morning. Got started at 7:25am.

Cycling: Gasherbrum is 4.5 hours of aerobic Endurance riding spent between 65-75% FTP. RPM of 89. Had a good cadence going for the first 2-2.5 hrs, then it became a bit more of a chore. No tears were shed when this was finally completed. But the day wasn't done. Had another 90 min of brick running to attack.

Brick Run:
Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 12mph to 26mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 35°F + 31°F; FL - 27°F
End: Temp+Dew = 36°F + 31°F; FL - 27°F

HAT #4! Dressed like it was 0-10 degrees again.

Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 6.46.46 PM.png

Didn't feel all that bad during this. I had a Maurten gel at the start, then another at 30 min, and then an Egel at 60 min. The issues during the run were more self-induced than anything. Around 20 min I stepped on something. Felt like a rock stuck in the bottom of my shoe. So I scuffed the shoe a few times and it wouldn't come out. So then I stopped and rubbed the shoe on a curb, still nothing. So then I sat on the curve and pulled on the rock with my fingers. Wa-laa. The rock.... err SCREW came out of my shoe. MAN, I was so lucky the screw wasn't a tiny bit longer or my shoe stack heigh a tiny bit shorter. That would have been really painful! Well at least that was behind me and I could finish this run out in peace. Oh, except then the wind and rain started up. Then, at around 5:45 hours into the workout I came upon a old rusty exhaust from a lawn mower/car. In a moment of pure stupidity, I didn't try to dodge it and instead tried to leap (?) over it. Yea, foot clearance wasn't nearly high enough and I stumbled. Felt like I twisted my ankle and screwed my knee up. Started yelling some expletives to myself and out loud to not screw (lol) this up. Finished it up without any more issues. And good timing too because the sky opened up when I finished.

Poured out my arm sleeve again and no exaggeration there was probably 4-8oz of liquid that came out. It was like a clown comedy routine where they turn over something and an unfathomable amount of liquid just continuously pours out of something.

At a total TSS of 291, it was the single largest continuous TSS (the 305 TSS last week was the highest single day, but not continuous).

The ankle didn't feel great for the remainder of the day, but I don't think I caused too much harm.

Sunday

The ankle was stiff but not painful. Wasn't sure if it would tolerate a 140 min LR.

Morning Run:
Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 13mph to 22mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 50°F + 49°F; FL - 50°F
End: Temp+Dew = 51°F + 50°F; FL - 50°F

HAT #5. Dressed like it was 20 degrees.

Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 6.56.13 PM.png

Ankle seemed fine. Not 100%, but not something that would prevent me from running at all. Actually felt relatively good to start. Smooth. Then saw the first mile (8:28) and was like "oh, that's why it felt so easy...". Decided to ride the wave and not really push it too much. When the second mile came in at 8:16, I decided I would try for a progressive pace based on the 4.2 mile loops. The first loop was around 33:53, the second around 33:00, then third around 32:30, and the fourth around 31:40. So I was successful in my attempt. Neighbor dog ran after me at the end of the first loop so I had to take a few minutes to help get Chief back to its house. The last loop actually felt easier than the first loop even though it was about 22 sec/mile faster. Just had to shake some rust off from the 6hr brick the day before. Then, I went for a two lap fast finish. Came in at 7:35 and 7:20 GAP. All in all 17.5 miles in 140 min (7:59 pace, 7:54 GAP) with HR of 135.

Went and saw the new Star Wars. I liked it.

Came home and Steph and I looked at each as to whether we'd do 80DO Cardio Flow. Ugh... yea let's do it. So we did. So ended the week with 80DO.

That ends the hard stuff (for the most part). Things finally start getting a bit easier. So with that comes the peak of the training load.

Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 7.06.16 PM.png

I feel like the trajectory of the training looks great for the last 13 months. Just about as good as I could have drawn it up. You can see the training I designed from Dec to July, and then the TrainerRoad HV IM training plan from July to December. You can even see the three phases of the TR plan when the intent of the middle phase being added intensity and not added training load necessarily.

Only 2 weeks to go!!! Next week the load finally starts to drop. A 60 min "touch all the intensities" cycle, 4 x 3 min 3k pace, a 90 min HIM cycle + 30 min easy brick, 4 hr bike, and 110 min run. So not something I'd necessarily qualify as "easy", but definitely "easier". Now's the time for resting up and preparing myself as best I can for the upcoming task at hand.

2019 DopeyBadger Racing Season Prediction Contest - Race #6 (Disney Marathon) - THE CHAMPIONSHIP

Alright posters and lurkers, let's finish this season long contest off with THE CHAMPIONSHIP! It's one of my favorite things to do pre-race. It's also something I do with everyone else on their training plans. Go through the process on deciding race day goals and pacing strategies all based around a possible finish time. I want to hear from everyone.

But here's the twist this time around- It's going to be a season long contest. I'll explain more below.

Please don't be concerned that your time prediction will have much of an impact on my chances. I could run really well, or I could crash and burn. Anything is possible. Here are some rules:

1) Predictions must be made after this post either in this journal, to me verbally, or on my Strava account.
2) Only one prediction per person per race/TT.
3) Predictions must be in by 48 hours prior to the race or time trial.
4) Predictions can be as close as you like to another person’s guess. So, if someone says 3:45:00, you can guess 3:45:01, or the same time (3:45:00).
5) A prediction must be in time. Thus, a guess of "you'll do your best" or something similar is appreciated but not valid.
6) In the event I don't finish, the race is cancelled, or I don't have an official time (unless pre-decided otherwise), then there will be no time recorded for that race.
7) The winner receives a mystery item via email.
8) An important one - To be eligible to win, a person must predict in at least one half marathon race and the 2020 Disney marathon.

I reserve the right to change these rules however I see fit, as after all, this is for fun.

How to play?

Simple explantation

You choose how fast you think I'll run a race when we're about a week out from the race itself. Don't worry I'll remind you.

Longer explantation on how it'll work

-You choose how fast you think I'll run a race when we're about a week out from the race itself.
-Whatever the difference is (negative or positive) from my official time to your prediction is your rolling value from one race to the next.

For example, let's say you predict I will run a 25:00 min 5k. And I run a 26:45 min 5k. Your difference from that race is a -1:45. You predicted my time too fast (thus negative) by 1:45.

As a different example, let's say you predict I will run a 25:00 min 5k. And I run a 24:30 min 5k. Your difference from that race is a +30 seconds. You predicted my time too slow (thus positive) by 30 sec.

The goal is to be the person closest to 0:00 at the end of the season. So if you were -30 seconds on the 5k, then maybe on the next race you'll want to guess 30 seconds slower than you actually think I'll run to try and get back to 0:00.

-You do not have to participate in every race to be eligible to win at the end. You are only required to play in at least one half marathon game and the 2020 Disney Marathon.
-But to incentivize you to predict in more races, for every race you play in above and beyond the required minimum of a HM and the M, you get a bonus 15 seconds. That means if someone plays in 6 total races (HM, M and 4 other races), then they'll get 60 bonus seconds (15*4) off their final time when the game is over. The bonus will not be applied until after the Disney Marathon. The bonus will not hurt you. So if you have 60 second bonus time, and you end with a +/- 45 second final score, then you end with 0:00 as your final adjusted score.

In the event of a tie, then the bonuses will be removed from each of the tied players to the unadjusted final score. Whomever is closer to 0:00, will be the winner. In the event, that after removal of bonuses the unadjusted values are still tied, then it will be decided by some game decided by Gigi at a later point.

Current Race Schedule

This may or may not change based on how the 2019 season plays out.

4/12/2019 - One Mile Time Trial *Has occurred
5/25/2019 - Brat Fest 5k *Has occurred

9/22/2019 - DoLittle HM *Has occurred
10/20/2019 - Haunted Hustle HM *Has occurred
11/10/2019 - Madison HM *Has occurred

1/12/2020 - Disney Marathon *To be guessed on

To be eligible to win, you must predict a Disney Marathon time.

Disney Marathon!

-It's pretty darn flat.
-The GAP is usually -1 second.
-My Garmin GPS usually measures 26.33 to 26.44 miles.

-My Garmin VO2max has been bouncing around 57 to 59 depending on the type of workout. In best case scenarios, that would be 3:01:30 - 3:07:30.
-On November 10th, I ran the Madison HM in 1:28:40. It measured 13.19 mile on my Garmin. The average pace was a 6:43 min/mile. The average GAP was a 6:39 min/mile. A 1:28:40 HM straight up predicts a 3:05 - 3:10. The grade adjusted HM would be a 1:28:00 and predict a 3:03 - 3:08. My HR during this HM was 148. My previous HMs with the same GPS watch have been 153, 154, 150, and 151. My Ms with the same GPS watch have been 145, 151, 149, and 140 (Chicago).

-My different hard training runs:

Long runs
Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 12.06.13 PM.png

The hardest thing for me to determine is how much the cycling on Saturday has influenced the Sunday LR. So I included the data for the TSS Prior (Saturday's total) and whether it was a morning/evening workout or a consecutive (brick) workout. In this training plan, I had 8 training runs at 130 min or longer. I'm not entirely sure, but I'm pretty sure that's a new PR for me in a single training plan. Surprisingly, the recovery from the 12/29/19 workout was pretty quick. I felt pretty good on Monday.

I Pace
Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 12.05.59 PM.png

The I pace workouts have been fun during this training cycle. I've been putting together some speed workouts with PRs at 200, 400, 800, and 1000m. So speed wise, I'm about as fast as I've ever been. The last workout prior to the Nov HM I ran 5 x 3 min at 6:00 average. My workout on 12/18 was 5.75 x 4 min at 5:52 average.

Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 12.05.47 PM.png

I had a hard time getting my HR up (or pace faster) during these LT to HM Tempo effort workouts. It's likely because of the Wednesday I pace workout, and then Thursday morning cycle workout. Those morning workouts were generally 90-120 min long and rather intense. Only twice did the TSS for the morning workout drop below 100 and both times it was a sub-6:40 pace. HM Tempo historical HR with this watch is 152. The last workout prior to the Nov HM was a 6:52 min/mile continuous workout at 151.5 HR. Then on race day I did 6:39 at a 148 HR. The workout on 12/26 was really strong with a 3+2+1 at 6:41 average with 152 HR while being supremely overdressed.

In my past training plans, my peak weekend workouts would normally be a 90 min Saturday run + 150 min Sunday run. In this training plan, my peak workout was a 240 min cycle + 90 min Saturday brick run and then on Sunday a 140 min long run. How much did that 240 min cycle matter in terms of fatigue resistance and building fitness?

Probably the only other run of note was on 12/15/19. It was 4 hours of IM cycling followed by 75 min at M Tempo effort. I ended up averaging a 7:00 min/mile (GAP) for 10.65 miles at a HR of 143. This was done in my Saucony Kinvaras.

My taper plan is very reminiscent of the taper I used prior to the November HM.

Nov HM Taper
Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 12.34.39 PM.png

Disney M Taper
Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 12.37.23 PM.png

Some times/paces to keep in mind. The paces are based on a GPS distance of 26.40 miles.

Current PR - 3:14:05; 7:21 min/mile
Boston Qualify - 3:05:00; 7:00 min/mile
BQ minus - 3:01:12; 6:52 min/mile*
Sub-3 - 3:00:00; 6:49 min/mile

*Based on the last 4 years of BQ standards the cutoff time has dropped by 1:15, 1:29, 1:47 from the previous year. Based on this, the time would drop by 2:09 min from the previous cutoff (1:39). So the 2021 BQ projection would be -3:48. However, the weather for Chicago and New York was apparently quite good and there was a size-able jump in BQs. So that number might be even lower than a -3:48.

The Current Standings

So as a reminder, the goal is to have a season ending score of 0:00.

Players with a (-) number in the cumulative time off column want to guess a time slower than they actually think I will run. Players with a (+) number in the cumulative time off column want to guess a time faster than they actually think I will run.

Here are the current standings:

Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 12.39.37 PM.png

As a reminder, at this point in the game anyone can still win it. It all comes down to this!

So for example, let's use @SheHulk as an example. She currently has predicted +63 seconds (too slow) based on the prior races. Let's say SheHulk actually thinks I'll run a 3:00:00 M at Disney. Since she's currently sitting at +63, then she would actually want to guess a 2:58:57 (3:00:00 - 63 seconds) if she believes I'll run a 3:00:00 flat. This will cancel out the amount of time off she was from the other two races and get her back to zero.

Players with a (-) number in the cumulative time off column want to guess a time slower than they actually think I will run. Players with a (+) number in the cumulative time off column want to guess a time faster than they actually think I will run.

As a reminder, you must play in the Disney Marathon prediction game to be eligible to win. So while @Jules76126 currently has a cumulative guess of 0 seconds, she can not pass on the Disney Marathon and automatically win.

The winner will be determined by the person with the closest to zero cumulative time from the season long contest after using the bonuses that everyone has accumulated. If for example, your cumulative time is less than your bonus amount (you finish after the marathon with 30 seconds off and you have 60 seconds of bonus available), then your time goes to zero. There is no additional gain by being closer than the amount of bonus you have. However, in the event of a tie, then the bonuses will be removed from each of the tied players to the unadjusted final score. Whomever is closer to 0:00, will be the winner. In the event, that after removal of bonuses the unadjusted values are still tied, then it will be decided by some game decided by Gigi at a later point.

Everyone has until 48 hours prior to the race to get their prediction in. So your guess is due by Friday, January 10th at 5am.

Current Guesses

2:57:00 - @lhermiston
2:57:52 - @canglim52
2:58:06 - @flav
2:58:10 - @mrsg00fy
2:58:30 - @disneygpa
2:58:37 - @SheHulk
2:58:37 - @roxymama
2:59:00 - @bovie
2:59:20 - @steph0808
2:59:59 - @SarahDisney
3:00:03 - @TeeterTots
3:01:12 - Steph
3:01:30 - @DisMatt0483
3:02:18 - @MissLiss279
3:02:20 - @JAMIESMITH
3:02:50 - @Chaitali
3:02:50 - @Mumof4mice
3:03:03 - @michigandergirl
3:03:13 - @KSellers88
3:03:20 - @TheHamm
3:03:31 - @surfde22
3:03:40 - @Jules76126
3:05:35 - Gigi
3:07:47 - @FFigawi
3:09:05 - Me
3:22:48 - @Sleepless Knight

Yet to Predict

@PkbaughAR
@DerTobi75
@tigger536
@cburnett11
@QueenFernando

Best of Luck!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter