To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

13 Days to Go (I will run a sub-3 hour marathon and qualify for Boston!)

rainbow-sparkles-jpg.246978

Date - Day - Scheduled Workout (Intervals within desired pace)

9/12/17 - T - 2 mile WU + 2 x 2 miles @ 6:41 min/mile w/ 0.5 mile RI @ WU + 2 mile CD (3/4)
9/13/17 - W - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
9/14/17 - R - 3 mile WU + 10 miles @ 6:58 min/mile + 3 mile CD (10/10)
9/15/17 - F - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
9/16/17 - Sat - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
9/17/17 - Sun - 12 miles @ 7:35 min/mile (4/10)
9/18/17 - M - OFF

Total (training) mileage = 56.8 miles
Number of SOS intervals within pace = 17/24 (71%)

Tuesday

1903 days down and 19 to go!!!

2 mile WU + 2 x 2 miles @ HM Tempo w/ 0.5 mile RI + 2 mile CD

T+D of 142, sunny, and no wind. Hello to sudden T+D change from Sunday morning in the T+D of 90-112.

HM Tempo pace = 6:41 min/mile
HM Tempo window = +/- 10 seconds (6:31-6:51)

I had a feeling this was going to be a tough run. I was still sore and stiff from Sunday's Max Hybrid. My calves felt really swollen, but I think that's a by-product of the training coming to an end and they're reaching peak size. I was ready to take whatever my body could give me.

HM Tempo = 6:49, 6:53, 6:49, 6:47

I certainly can't complain. If this is my floor performance for a HM Tempo workout coming off a max Hybrid with a sudden increase in T+D, then I'll take it. The first two miles were a little sore and stiff, but the second two actually felt a little better. Surprisingly, I feel better after the workout then I do before I started. Overall, I hit 3/4 intervals with an average pace of 6:49.

This marked the end of the HM Tempo workouts. As for SOS workouts, we're down to two Max M Tempos, a LR of 12-15 miles (haven't decided yet), and a short 6x400 @ 10k pace on Tuesday before the marathon (no SOS next Tuesday). Not much time left.... Let the madness begin!

Wednesday was an easy day. T+D of 133, sunny, and no wind. Average pace of 8:51 min/mile and HR of 130.

Thursday

1905 days down and 17 to go!

T+D of 116-124, foggy, and no wind

M Tempo Pace = 6:58 min/mile
M Tempo window = +/- 10 seconds (6:48-6:58)

Wasn't feeling 100% today and the dynamic WU confirmed this. But the run went surprisingly well. I took an E-Gel at mile 0.5 and 8 of the M Tempo pacing. Felt calm, comfortable and solid throughout. No calf or hip fatigue. More importantly not even a hint of Jelly Legs like what plagued the end of Lakefront 2016 training. Final average pace was 6:59, with 10/10 intervals in window and avg HR of 151 (within historical of 148-152). Only one Max M Tempo left, but I'm feeling good about it at the moment.

Friday was an easy day. T+D of 143, cloudy and no wind. Average pace of 9:14 min/mile and HR of 127.

Saturday was an easy day. T+D of 133, cloudy and no wind. Average pace of 8:42 min/mile and HR of 132.

Sunday

T+D of 122, sunny, low wind

Right on schedule...

Long Run Pace = 7:35 min/mile
Long Run Window = +/- 10 seconds (7:25-7:45)

Alarm went off this morning at 5am, but unfortunately there was rain in the forecast. So I postponed the run into the evening. Timing was a bit off on eating lunch and running. So I had a bit of a stomach ache and some torso cramps. Not terribly concerned with the results of the run though. History has taught me that I almost always have a "bad" run in the 21-14 day period prior to a marathon. Most often it's the M Tempo run on Thursday, but this time around it was the Long Run. Not concerned as things will return to normal in no time. Just a case of the taper legs and the mind/body focusing on the race ahead rather than the tail end of the training.

Only 7 days until the contest ends -

https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...mments-welcome.3475601/page-117#post-58200756

Also, Keith from Strava pointed out a Google Chrome plug-in for Strava users that greatly increases the stats you get for free. It's a pretty interesting feature which includes A LOT of data. You do need to have a HR monitor for it to work. Here's one of the more interesting stats:

Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 6.30.51 AM.png

It shows your fitness and fatigue over time. The key takeaway for me is that I'm at my highest level of fitness ever recorded. Just 14 days to drop the fatigue down and enter the "freshness/race zone". Kind of interesting to see it visualized like this. If you want to add it for yourself use the following link:

http://thomaschampagne.github.io/stravistix/

1908 days down and 14 to go...

I get what you are saying about there always seeming to be a "bad run" in that period before the very end of a training plan. Reading everyone else's journals and thinking about my own history, I can safely say that "we've all been there!"

Fun fact #13: On October 1st 1837 there was a large hurricane referred to as "Racer's Hurricane" in the gulf of mexico. It was named after the first ship to spot it, the HMS Racer, and was one of the most famous and destructive of that century. Lakefront marathon will take place 180 years later to the day.

Fun fact #13: On October 1st 1837 there was a large hurricane referred to as "Racer's Hurricane" in the gulf of mexico. It was named after the first ship to spot it, the HMS Racer, and was one of the most famous and destructive of that century. Lakefront marathon will take place 180 years later to the day.

THAT'S SPOOKY!

Well I decided to dig deeper into the Fitness, Fatigue and Form graph (because well that's what I do).

So, definitions:

COPIED AND PASTED FROM STRAVAISTIX

TRIMP =

"TRaining IMPulse or TRIMP

Represents the amount of heart stress during an activity. The longer you ride at full throttle, the more you SCORE !! So go outside suffer for twelve hours! Or stay here to understand what it returns... TRIMP is a way to model the human athletic performance. This concept has been introduced by Dr Eric Banister.

Ok, Cool... But how this works?!

StravistiX computes TRIMP on activities using the most sophisticated approach: TRIMP Exponental Heart Rate Scaling which use your Heart Rate Reserve or HRR. HRR is basically your heart effort level according to your heart capacity .

What are all these terms?! Don't panic... Here is an explanation from a Math view (you may hate that, sorry...).

According this TRIMP Exponental Heart Rate Scaling formula, the longer you ride at full throttle, the more you SCORE !

But this heart score seems to be Strava Suffer Score?! Not really... Strava Suffer Score is only inspired by the TRIMP concept. However the idea is same and both score are correlated.

Need more infos? Then read more about HRR here and TRIMP here

These indicators can be more meaningfull than average heart rate itself to analyse activity heart rate. For example, you upload an activity in which you ride pretty fast for a long time. Then, you expect to have a good average heart rate. Unfortunately, you have to go through the city to go home where many red lights and cars behavior slow you down. Your average heart rate then drops very quickly and do not highlight your effort of "riding fast". In this example, the 75% quartile heart rate is representative of the effort you made (eliminating low heart rate associated with the cross of the city)."

So, TRIMP = HOW HARD THE RUN WAS

Fitness = The Fitness curve is the long-term average daily training load. Default period is fixed to 42 days (or six weeks), so it will take ~6 weeks for your Fitness to be accurate. It's basically the foundations, the potential availability of the athlete... You can't get into big rides/runs or races without a minimum of fitness acquired. If that curve is too regular or too flat, it is not usually a sign of good training

Fatigue = The Fatigue curve is the short-term average daily training load. Same way than Fitness but default period is fixed to 7 days (one week). Conceptually, fatigue is easy to understand: It's the tired feelings which limits your performance. This curve varies much faster than Fitness curve. On Fatigue curve, you can see the fatigue climbing sharply in response where you performed workouts with a high stress. But also go down quickly as you take few days off.

Form = The Form curve is simply the difference between Fitness and Fatigue, it's the right balance of stress you should look at to avoid over training for example.

When Form = :
  • +25 < Form : Transition zone. Athlete is on form. Case where athlete has an extended break. (e.g. illness, injury or end of the season).
  • +5 < Form < +25 : Freshness Zone. Athlete is on form. Ready for a race.
  • -10 < Form < +5 : Neutral Zone. Zone reached typically when athlete is in a rest or recovery week. After a race or hard training period.
  • -30 < Form < -10 : Optimal Training Zone.
  • Form < -30 : Over Load Zone. Athlete is on overload or over-training phase. They should take a rest!
Fitness is the long term gains over time. Fatigue is the short term tired feelings. Form is the balance between Fitness and Fatigue.

This makes sense to me. I've always said that training is the consistency from one training run to the next. If you've got consistency, then you'll continuously improve. If you start to miss runs or adjust things, then you'll probably stagnate. It also means that no one run defines the training cycle. That 150 minute LR is important, but so is the Tempo run proceeding it and the speed workout after it. It just further underlines that training is not just one single important run, but rather the cumulative effect of all the training.

The balancing between Fitness and Fatigue is important too. You could do a massive training week and you'd slightly improve your Fitness, but you would greatly increase Fatigue. Too much fatigue and you increase the chance for injury.

So what's it look like in action:

Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 6.12.05 PM.png

This is the overall trend from the last year. You can see Dopey Marathon and then time off. Then the Daniels 10k training. Then Daniels race season. Then Lakefront Marathon Training.

Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 6.12.23 PM.png

Interestingly, I felt like I was peaking right around the end of April and beginning of May and this confirms that. I coincidentally did my first 5k time trial (19:30) that week and had my best performance.

You can also see during Lakefront training everything was going well until I missed a day and started adjusting the plan in mid-August. Fatigue and Fitness were in lock-step up until then, and then I kind of stagnated because of those changes. One because I was feeling tired and the other because of a charley horse. But even that short time only made me stay even in Fitness and not lose anything. Then training continued as normal until now.

But I decided to take it one step further.

Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 6.17.37 PM.png

This is the data inputted into Excel. First off, I noted that the Fitness score is not the average of the last 42 days of TRIMP (as the description stated) nor is Fatigue the last 7 days. Interestingly enough, I noticed a different trend.

OFF = 2.4% drop in Fitness and 13.3% drop in Fatigue
6 Easy Miles = 0.8-0.9% drop in Fitness and 4.9% drop in Fatigue
7 Easy Miles = 0.6-0.7% drop in Fitness and 4.5% drop in Fatigue
HM Tempo = 1.5% gain in Fitness and 9.5% increase in Fatigue
Max M Tempo = 3% gain in Fitness and 16% increase in Fatigue
12 mile LR = 1-2% gain in Fitness and 4-12% increase in Fatigue
Max LR = 4% gain in Fitness and 20% increase in Fatigue

These workouts seemed to be relatively consistent in their effect on Fitness and Fatigue. So the question became could I pre-predict the effect on training going into my taper?

Original Plan - easy on Tues, Max Tempo, LR 12 miles, 4x400 CV. Total Fitness 107.1 with a Form of 21.1 (Fresh is 5-25).

Original Plan.png

Max Fitness - HM Tempo on Tues, Max Tempo, LR 12 miles, 4x400 CV. Total Fitness 109.3 with a Form of 10.7 (Fresh is 5-25).

Max Fitness and still Fresh.png

Slight Tweak - HM Tempo on Tues, Max Tempo, Easy, 4x400. Total Fitness 107.4 with a Form of 18.8.

Medium Fitness and More Fresh than ever in training.png

Another Slight Tweak - HM Tempo on Tues, Max Tempo, LR 12, easy. Total Fitness 107.1 with Form of 20.1

Medium Fitness and Very Fresh.png

When I look at this it looks like I have two options: Max Fitness with just enough rest or optimal plan with the most freshness (but not too much). It's kind of interesting to see the little changes to the plan and how they change the impact on the possible values (based on past historical results).

I looked back at training to see if I could notice a trend. I was Fresh going into two previous training runs this cycle (not ideal as you should be training in the optimal zone).

8/8/17

2 mile WU + 8x800 @ CV w/ 45 sec RI @ WU + 4 x 200m @ R w/ 200m RI + 2 mile CD

CV Pace = 6:23 min/mile (2% less than Lactate Threshold)
CV Window = +/- 3 seconds (3:08.5-3:14.5)

Mile Pace = 5:28 min/mile (41 sec 200m)
Mile Window = +/- 1 sec (40-42 sec)

My legs were feeling relatively good coming into the run. After the last hard run last week Friday, followed by easy, easy, off, I felt as if I was turning a corner again.

T+D of 136 with mostly cloudy skies.

CV Pace = 3:08.7, 3:13, 3:10, 3:09, 3:10, 3:11, 3:10, 3:11

Solid CV pacing all around. 8/8 intervals hit. Some needed to be pushed at the end to get to pace. Some needed to be slowed way down to get to pace. Sometimes it felt easy. Sometimes it felt difficult. But overall, it was a great run!

Mile Pace = 39.5, 39.6, 39.5, 39.0

These were suppose to be at 41 seconds. But if I'm being honest, this was the correct pace. It felt comfortable and I felt fast. Done and done!

8/15/17

2 mile WU + 6 x 1 mile @ HM Tempo w/ .25 mi RI @ WU + 2 mile CD

T+D of 120 and clouds.

HM Tempo = 6:41 min/mile
HM Tempo window = +/- 10 seconds

I was trying to be cautious with this run. I wasn't sure what was up with my legs. A little more tired and sore than normal. But the very slight pain in my left shin was concerning. Was the issues I had during the 2016 Lakefront Marathon returning? I wanted to try a few of the splits at 0 elevation gain and then if things were feeling fine, I'd add back in the hills. My thought process was maybe my shins were taking a beating on the faster paced runs going downhill. Minimize pace on downhill running and maybe things would feel better.

HM Tempo = 6:40, 6:41, 6:47, 6:47, 6:41, 6:43

The first two HM Tempos felt strong. Evenly paced throughout. I decided to give the hill a chance for the next two. The pace was still good. There were points during this run where I thought this pace was sustainable. Then, after successfully completing the first 4 intervals without any shin issues, I wrapped the last two on the flat course (not willing to risk it). Solid run overall! 6/6 intervals hit and the HR average was fairly low for a HM Tempo run. I was awarded a new VO2max (since changing my input data) of 58. This felt like an appropriate improvement since the run felt pretty good overall.

Sounds like I felt pretty good going into both of those runs. So the Freshness score of 5-10 was enough to tell a difference. I'm going to err on the side of more freshness because this is a marathon. I'd venture to guess that requires a higher Freshness score, but I wasn't able to find any advice online. Thoughts?

It'll be interesting to compare this guy's TRIMP metrics with the fitness and fatigue calculated in Training Peaks. They look almost exactly the same. To your question about Freshness, the online TP guide says that you want your Training Stree Balance to be somewhere between +5 and +25, I think. Any less, and you're not fully recovered. Any more, and you've potentially wasted some fitness.

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/applying-the-numbers-part-3-training-stress-balance/

It'll be interesting to compare this guy's TRIMP metrics with the fitness and fatigue calculated in Training Peaks. They look almost exactly the same.

It would appear they are the same since they're both based on the Banister paper from 1975.

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/the-science-of-the-performance-manager/

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 6.33.21 AM.png

To your question about Freshness, the online TP guide says that you want your Training Stree Balance to be somewhere between +5 and +25, I think. Any less, and you're not fully recovered. Any more, and you've potentially wasted some fitness.

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/applying-the-numbers-part-3-training-stress-balance/

So the follow-up would be, is there a specific place on the Freshness scale you'd want to fall based on the distance of the race. For example, a 5k would be best with a Freshness of +5, but a marathon would be best for +25? My guess is it isn't that specific, but I haven't been able to find any info.

Also, is the Freshness value more appropriate the night before the race (i.e. after the last workout) or the day of the next workout. For example, my Form yesterday after my off day was +2.2 (neutral), but this morning is +14 (because as of this moment today has been an off day until this evening's run). I ask because it seems to make a difference as to evaluate options come race day. Do you want the Form to fall into range after the last workout or the morning of the race?

Based on my calculations of a 6% drop in fitness from 2 weeks off, it seems that the Fitness score is about 4.7 points per % performance. So that means the difference between 110 and 107 is like a 0.4% difference in performance which is like 2 seconds per mile. Pretty small in the big scheme either way. Which makes sense since Fitness is more macro and moves slowly.

It's an interesting performance model.

So the follow-up would be, is there a specific place on the Freshness scale you'd want to fall based on the distance of the race. For example, a 5k would be best with a Freshness of +5, but a marathon would be best for +25? My guess is it isn't that specific, but I haven't been able to find any info.

Also, is the Freshness value more appropriate the night before the race (i.e. after the last workout) or the day of the next workout. For example, my Form yesterday after my off day was +2.2 (neutral), but this morning is +14 (because as of this moment today has been an off day until this evening's run). I ask because it seems to make a difference as to evaluate options come race day. Do you want the Form to fall into range after the last workout or the morning of the race?

Based on my calculations of a 6% drop in fitness from 2 weeks off, it seems that the Fitness score is about 4.7 points per % performance. So that means the difference between 110 and 107 is like a 0.4% difference in performance which is like 2 seconds per mile. Pretty small in the big scheme either way. Which makes sense since Fitness is more macro and moves slowly.

It's an interesting performance model.

I'd say you want to have your Freshness score be measured on the morning of the race. For one, this would account for evening workouts. Here are my scores before my Ironman last fall. My last "workout" was a really easy bike ride on Friday before the race on Saturday.

Friday
Fitness 69
Fatigue 41
Form 23

Saturday (after the race; can't get a zero-base reading for Fitness and Fatigue once data has been loaded for a day)
Fitness 87
Fatigue 152
Form 27

This tells me my Form (Freshness) the morning of the race was 27. That's about where I think you'd want it for an A-level long distance race, be it an Ironman or a BQ attempt. I agree with you on the sliding scale for shorter races. I think you'd waste too much Fitness if you went in to a 5k at 27.

It's after reading things like this I curse the fact that I didn't get a Garmin with heart rate monitoring.

Why not buy an HR strap to use with your existing watch? Nearly all of them on the market over the past several years will read the signal from a strap.

I'd say you want to have your Freshness score be measured on the morning of the race. For one, this would account for evening workouts. Here are my scores before my Ironman last fall. My last "workout" was a really easy bike ride on Friday before the race on Saturday.

Friday
Fitness 69
Fatigue 41
Form 23

Saturday (after the race; can't get a zero-base reading for Fitness and Fatigue once data has been loaded for a day)
Fitness 87
Fatigue 152
Form 27

This tells me my Form (Freshness) the morning of the race was 27. That's about where I think you'd want it for an A-level long distance race, be it an Ironman or a BQ attempt. I agree with you on the sliding scale for shorter races. I think you'd waste too much Fitness if you went in to a 5k at 27.

If that's the case, then my expected values based on my predictions would look like these:

Original Plan-

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 7.48.50 AM.png

Max Fitness with Freshness at higher end-

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 7.48.13 AM.png

So the original plan would be 21 on the night before the run and 30 on the day of the run, whereas the other option would be 10 on the night of the run and 21 on the day of the run.

Why not buy an HR strap to use with your existing watch? Nearly all of them on the market over the past several years will read the signal from a strap.

@Anisum I believe @cburnett11 has this one and has like it thus far - http://www.scosche.com/rhythm-plus-heart-rate-monitor-armband. Just needs a bluetooth signal from the Garmin I believe.

This looks like it will be really useful as I was just wondering whether I was any fitter going into my next HM compared with my first HM.

I'm just downloading this now whilst waiting for my next conference call. And if anyone walks past it will look like I'm beavering away on some analysis.

Do you ever get that not so fresh feeling? (sorry I couldn't help it with all the freshness talk)
But seriously, I actually tried to read all of that. And I think my brain mostly, kinda, understands it.
I PM'd about searching out a heart rate monitor in my off season to test out (since my watch will work with one.) Would you all say that a chest strap is more accurate than wrist strap versions?

Fun fact #12 Did you know that the United States is home to 43 breeds of hornless unicorns? The Quarter Hornless Unicorn appears to be the most popular in Wisconsin.

Would you all say that a chest strap is more accurate than wrist strap versions?
I got a Garmin with HRM strap earlier this year having used a Fitbit Surge with optical HR.
I did do a couple of runs with both just to see if there was any difference. The optical HR seemed to lag a bit so they may be a bit off if you run a lot of fast intervals with recovery in between. It also didn't always match at the extremes -max and resting HR. My chest HRM has got a cadence sensor which I've found really useful and it also tells me that I am slightly wonky as one foot stays on the ground longer than the other.

Do you ever get that not so fresh feeling? (sorry I couldn't help it with all the freshness talk)
But seriously, I actually tried to read all of that. And I think my brain mostly, kinda, understands it.
I PM'd about searching out a heart rate monitor in my off season to test out (since my watch will work with one.) Would you all say that a chest strap is more accurate than wrist strap versions?

Somewhere in his vast storehouse of knowledge, DC Rainmaker covers this. I think he said it's about a draw, though the optical monitors are susceptible to more drop outs and other issues than the straps. The straps offer additional data on running dynamics (ground time, vertical oscillation, etc.) which I find interesting. YMMV

Somewhere in his vast storehouse of knowledge, DC Rainmaker covers this. I think he said it's about a draw, though the optical monitors are susceptible to more drop outs and other issues than the straps. The straps offer additional data on running dynamics (ground time, vertical oscillation, etc.) which I find interesting. YMMV

Ok, I think that tells me that even if its close to a draw, the added benefits of the chest strap give it the edge. I personally hate wearing lots of things (both while running and in regular life) but I guess if I'm gonna strangle myself with uncomfortable sportsbras, may as well trap a monitor strap up in there too. Who wants to go to Sharktank with me for a heart rate monitor that can be just attached to a sportsbra??
Edited: nevermind, it exists and is hella expensive.

My graph validates what I believe about my running: I train close to optimal, but then get fatigued and drop back to neutral. There is no true suffering on my graph...which is fine by me. BUT I do think that this ties in with my idea that a longer progression during a training cycle would help me peak at a better time, ie. The 10 day training week vs. the 7 day training week.

This looks like it will be really useful as I was just wondering whether I was any fitter going into my next HM compared with my first HM.

I'm just downloading this now whilst waiting for my next conference call. And if anyone walks past it will look like I'm beavering away on some analysis.

I think it will be a useful tool to help find what does and doesn't work well in a training plan for any given person. It can also help confirm the feelings of being more or less prepared for a race.

Fun fact #12 Did you know that the United States is home to 43 breeds of hornless unicorns? The Quarter Hornless Unicorn appears to be the most popular in Wisconsin.

Lol, not so fresh feelings. I think of the optical HR monitor as good enough. I far outweigh it being on my wrist to the chest strap though which always gave me chafing and a cut. Plus the strap always felt so restrictive, but that could have been a me issue.

I got a Garmin with HRM strap earlier this year having used a Fitbit Surge with optical HR.
I did do a couple of runs with both just to see if there was any difference. The optical HR seemed to lag a bit so they may be a bit off if you run a lot of fast intervals with recovery in between. It also didn't always match at the extremes -max and resting HR. My chest HRM has got a cadence sensor which I've found really useful and it also tells me that I am slightly wonky as one foot stays on the ground longer than the other.

Agreed!

Agreed!

Ok, I think that tells me that even if its close to a draw, the added benefits of the chest strap give it the edge. I personally hate wearing lots of things (both while running and in regular life) but I guess if I'm gonna strangle myself with uncomfortable sportsbras, may as well trap a monitor strap up in there too. Who wants to go to Sharktank with me for a heart rate monitor that can be just attached to a sportsbra??
Edited: nevermind, it exists and is hella expensive.

Just comes down to what you're looking to get out of it.

My graph validates what I believe about my running: I train close to optimal, but then get fatigued and drop back to neutral. There is no true suffering on my graph...which is fine by me. BUT I do think that this ties in with my idea that a longer progression during a training cycle would help me peak at a better time, ie. The 10 day training week vs. the 7 day training week.

Makes sense. Make smaller gains over time by keeping the training smaller and less fatigue. The slow and steady approach. Based on my years worth of data, I'd venture to guess my method has been similar for myself over the years (other than Lakefront 2016).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!