To Hoop Dee Do or not. That is the question

vanillarum

DIS Veteran
In all of our trips to the world, we have never done the Hoop Dee Do. Have 2 trips planned next year and I am wondering if we should do it? Love to hear some opinions. Thanx.

We went July of 2016 my boys 4 and 6 at the time loved it. I thought it was ok my wife could do without. We are taking them to Spirit of Aloha this November to try something different.

We did it for the first time last year and LOVED IT! I feel like it could go either way, it just depends on what you're preferences are. I loved it because I was able to enjoy some goofy humor, fun singing, crowd interaction and just an overall fun audience. My husband loved it because he could have all of the chicken and beer he wanted . To each his own :rotfl2:

Have been to Disney World 10-12 times and have never been to Hoop De Do. And like you, we are planning a trip in late May 2018 and will try and go for the first time. I think it will be fun and like the idea of a buffet meal. Will be interesting to follow this thread and see what everyone thinks.

Oh my gosh! Well take this with a grain of salt because the Hoop De Doo Revue is one of my favorite things in WDW. We go to WDW almost yearly and would not think of missing it. The food is fair, but it is not what will keep you coming back. The unlimited wine and beer is nice, but it is also low end on both counts. It is the corny show. The jokes are terrible!!! BUT they are so terrible that they are really funny. It is also very high energy and moves really quickly. The wait staff is awesome. You do not have to wait for anything. The meal is served family style, and I cannot remmber having to ask for anything to include a refill on my beer mug. If I had to compare it to something, I guess I would go with a western style Yehaa Bob only with a lot more moving parts. The actors are mixed in the audience almost as much as on stage. My opinion is that you should go at least once and see for yourself. 3 years ago I brought an extended family group to WDW -- 16 people ranging from toddlers to grandparents. Without an exception -- all loved it! Most surprising was the fact that the kids loved it. I think that is because of the frenetic pace of the show.

Have been to Disney World 10-12 times and have never been to Hoop De Do. And like you, we are planning a trip in late May 2018 and will try and go for the first time. I think it will be fun and like the idea of a buffet meal. Will be interesting to follow this thread and see what everyone thinks.

HDDR is NOT a buffet meal
It is served family style to your individual table and it is All You Care to Eat.
Enjoy

I'm of two minds. For reference, we went with three kids ages 7, 5 and 1. On the one hand, I think HDDR was very entertaining and a fun show. The food was comfort food, the unlimited beer/wine was nice and the entertainment worthwhile. The kids liked it well enough, but didn't love it. They may have been a little young to appreciate the humor and puns though-- plus it was a bit loud. On the other hand, we followed advice of Disney and others and took a lot of time using Disney transport to get over there. My biggest complaint was that it took such a huge chunk of time out of the day between traveling and making sure we got there ahead of time. We took the ferry there from MK. On the whole, I may have wanted that time back and waited to the kids were over and just taken cabs or something else to cut down on the traveling out of our day. Going to HDDR took up about half a day at Disney and I think my kids would have preferred more time at the pool or parks. Again though, I would return when they are just a little older.

However, we went to the Spirit of Aloha and that really just did not strike a chord with my family. We thought it was a little boring and the food not as good. We would probably do HDDR again once the kids are a bit older. I think Spirit of Aloha is one and done. Maybe we will go to Aulani one day instead.

Another vote for yes. We really enjoyed it on our last trip with a 6 and 9 year old. Agree with the previous poster though, it is kind of a time suck to get there and back but we loved the experience and the family memories.

I love the Hoop Dee Doo. I've been three times and was sad that I couldn't fit it into our upcoming trip. The cast is very entertaining and the food is good. The cornbread and strawberry shortcake are amazing!
I would try to schedule it for a day when you're at the Magic Kingdom. It's a lot easier to go to dinner from there because you can just take the boat over to Fort Wilderness.

Yes. When it comes to HDDR, the answer is always yes. (Except, maybe in the case of non-English speaking guests).

We went when I was little kid and I remember loving it. Never went on my adult trips because I thought it sounded corny in a bad way. Last year, it was the one thing my mom requested on our family trip ---- so we went back as all adults (youngest was late 20s). It was amazing! It's definitely corny, but in a good way. Good comfort food --- not gourmet, but satisfying. Great service. Fun show. Unlimited beer/wine is the icing on the (strawberry short) cake.

We're going back next week and I can't wait!

We did it for the first time two weeks ago and had a great time. The food was really good - DH and I both really like fried chicken and theirs was very good. The show was very funny - I really liked how they incorporated the audience.

I think it's worth trying. The food is "fine" - meaning its okay to eat - and it's all you care to eat - so you will go away stuffed. However - it's just a fat heavy, carb heavy, meat heavy meal that you might regret overeating when you are done. If you like beer/wine - that's a bonus. Overall, I wish they would update the menu and offer some healthier choices as part of the standard meal.

But for older kids - let's say 9 and up and adults - I think the show is good to see and the overall experience is fun.

It does take a big chunk of time given that it's slow to get to the location - anyway you do it.

My vote is YES! I base that on the fact that you started your post with "In all of our trips to the world.." First-timers probably shouldn't do it because its a time commitment, but its such a fun time! We're locals and go every Christmas; enjoy!!!

I'm going for the first time in December. Anyone know the easiest way to get there from AK? Bus to FW and then internal bus?

We have reservation for the 6:15 at HDDR do you think we could make a 7:20 - 8:20 FP at splash mountain?

I'm going for the first time in December. Anyone know the easiest way to get there from AK? Bus to FW and then internal bus?
I have stayed a number of times at kadani Village (from a transportation perspective) it is similar to AKL. I recommend you take the bus to MK an then just take the boat to Fort Wilderness. From the DIS Board Transportation thread:
  • Green Flag Launch: The green route carries guests from the Magic Kingdom to Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground. This is a heavily traveled route due to the Hoop De Doo Revue and Mickey's Backyard BBQ being at this resort, along with the fact that guests staying at the resort can only get to the Magic Kingdom by boat. This route typically runs two cruisers which are both capable of accommodating ECVs and wheelchairs without a required transfer. Travel time from Magic Kingdom to Ft. Wilderness is approximately 13 minutes once underway. Wait time between boats is typically 10-20 minutes.
My family and I usually shoot for the 4:00 pm show (1st show). We will usually start the day at MK and then take a break for the Hoop de doo revue. If we are up to it, we return to MK for the evening. More than likely though (as we creep into the magic halls of old fartdom), we will opt to return to our resort and make an early night of it.

We will have a car at Disney, but are wondering if it would be quicker and more convenient to take Uber or a Minnie shuttle? Would it be able to drop us off near the venue?

If we would go to the 4 show, what time could we expect to be back to MK?

Any does anyone know if they have another dessert by chance? I know it gets rave reviews, but I don't like strawberries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter