To cover or not to cover...

mydisneyanytime

Mouseketeer
We are leaving on Sunday for WDW (yay!). My mom will be using a scooter for the first time. She is concerned about the seat getting too hot while she is doing some walking. We tried out a scooter for her first time at the zoo last week and the seat got really hot!! Does anyone have suggestions as to what to cover the seat with to keep it from burning her legs? I suggested a pillow case thinking that it wouldn't fall off so easily but I really don't know what would be best. We are renting from Walker and I know that the one that she will be getting has a black seat which will be super hot. Thanks!

We do 2 things to keep the scooter seat cool for my Mom.

1. When you get off the scooter to walk around, put the scooter back down. it really does help a bit.
2. We have a towel (it was actually a smallish beach towel that goes into a strong backpack that was a purchase with purchase at Disney last year. We put that over the whole seat. It generally stays in place because of the backpack that is on the seat.

Between the 2 above, my Mom says it really does help keep the scooter seat better. When we see scooters sitting in the sun with the seat up, we do tend to flip them down to make them not quite so hot.

A towel works really well and on most scooters there are ways you could tuck it in to keep it from falling off, a Pillow case would most likely be too thing and the seat would still heat up.

We do 2 things to keep the scooter seat cool for my Mom.

1. When you get off the scooter to walk around, put the scooter back down. it really does help a bit.
2. We have a towel (it was actually a smallish beach towel that goes into a strong backpack that was a purchase with purchase at Disney last year. We put that over the whole seat. It generally stays in place because of the backpack that is on the seat.

Between the 2 above, my Mom says it really does help keep the scooter seat better. When we see scooters sitting in the sun with the seat up, we do tend to flip them down to make them not quite so hot.
My husband and I do the same thing. Bending down the seats.

I also have a small towel or really small blanket that I put on the seat. I also use it if I have to sit on a metal bench.

I put a beach towel over the seat. I found a store on Etsy that designs colorful bands that are designed to keep towels in place over beach chairs/loungers. I gave them the dimensions of the scooter I was using and she was able to make a custom one. She even tested it out on a scooter at a local store to make sure it would fit ok.

The name of the store is CathyJoandCo - https://www.etsy.com/shop/CathyJoandCo

Scooter seat backs fold down over the seat. So, as others have stated you push the back of the seat downward and you have some protection that way.

Try to find shaded areas when you park the scooter.

Depending on the time of year you go you can wear heavier (thicker) shorts or pants; so, you won't feel the seat as much.

Covering the seat with a towel as others have stated is good, too.

I use a waterproof pack'n'play [as in the portable crib] cover; it is just about the perfect size to fit over the seat and seatback. Also makes it visible soo it is easy to see which is mine from a distance. When we park the ECV I fold down the seat back to protect the seat and to prevent the cover from flying away.

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter