To Check or Not to Check???

kristenrice

NOT just an ambulance driver
It's time to start finalizing my packing plans and I am stuck.

I have (2) bags that I travel with and they are both able to be carried on the plane. The first bag is my "go-to" bag. It's the eBags TLS Motherlode Weekender Junior. I use it as a backpack and it fits under the seat and qualifies as my "personal item". The second bag is my 19" eBags hybrid spinner. It would go into the overhead compartment but it is sturdy enough to be checked too. We are flying SWA so baggage cost is not an issue.

Here's my dilemma...

We have a flight with a 2.5-hour layover, connecting through Midway. I'm always nervous that my checked bag will somehow get lost, but I know that, statistically, it's not very common. The other factor is that we are scheduled to arrive in Orlando at 11:15pm. We are staying at the airport Hyatt before hopping DME in the morning. By the time we land, I will have been up for over 20 hours and I know I will be ready to get to sleep. The thought of additional "delay" in getting to bed is really bugging me.

How is baggage claim at Orlando? I've never used it since we have always either flown with only carry-ons, or we have had DME get our bags. How long will it take to get from the plane to baggage claim and back up to the Hyatt? There are just a few things that I would like to take that cannot go in my carry-on, but it's not a huge deal to substitute them for something that can. For example, I can use Tide powder instead of the pods that I like. I have some hair products that can't be transferred from their larger containers for travel so I would probably leave them home. It seems silly to check a bag for 2-3 items that I can live without, but yet if it's not going to be a huge hassle or inconvenience, then I should consider it.

So....check or carry-on???

I haven't found it difficult to get bags and head up to the hyatt. It's a matter of a little walk and an escalator or elevator. If we're picking up bags (actually, we always do this) we don't rush. Getting off the plane takes time, we generally stop at a restroom along the way, maybe change clothes (though if heading to the mco Hyatt I wouldn't do that), and meander to baggage claim. I don't remember having to wait for bags when we take things slow like that.

We always check bags. It helps that we always fly non-stop, the bags are free, and Alaska guarantees the bags will be a baggage claim within 20 minutes. They give you 2,500 miles per bag if they are not. We got 10,000 miles a few flights back because they dropped the bags at the wrong baggage carousel at SeaTac. I like to be the last to board so checking bags is best for us.

You keep saying "we". Are you only bringing two bags for two (or more) people? If so, I'd just carry them both on. FWIW, just because you have a 2.5 hour layover scheduled, doesn't mean that's what will happen. Mechanical problems, late planes, weather, etc can cut into that. I would carry both bags on going to Orlando, then check the one coming back.

I find baggage claim at MCO to be slow. However, you could wander off the plane, checkin and get your key at the Hyatt, then wander down to luggage claim. It should be there by then.

You keep saying "we". Are you only bringing two bags for two (or more) people? If so, I'd just carry them both on. FWIW, just because you have a 2.5 hour layover scheduled, doesn't mean that's what will happen. Mechanical problems, late planes, weather, etc can cut into that. I would carry both bags on going to Orlando, then check the one coming back.
"We" is my friend and I. She is in charge of her own bag(s) and I think she is just bringing a carry-on. When we went as a family of 4 last year, we each took our backpacks on the plane and we had 2 small spinners with us. We checked both of the spinners on the way home, but we were also flying non-stop so that helped with the decision.
I find baggage claim at MCO to be slow. However, you could wander off the plane, checkin and get your key at the Hyatt, then wander down to luggage claim. It should be there by then.
I like this idea! Honestly, it never dawned on me to head to the room first.

It's time to start finalizing my packing plans and I am stuck.

I have (2) bags that I travel with and they are both able to be carried on the plane. The first bag is my "go-to" bag. It's the eBags TLS Motherlode Weekender Junior. I use it as a backpack and it fits under the seat and qualifies as my "personal item". The second bag is my 19" eBags hybrid spinner. It would go into the overhead compartment but it is sturdy enough to be checked too. We are flying SWA so baggage cost is not an issue.

Here's my dilemma...

We have a flight with a 2.5-hour layover, connecting through Midway. I'm always nervous that my checked bag will somehow get lost, but I know that, statistically, it's not very common. The other factor is that we are scheduled to arrive in Orlando at 11:15pm. We are staying at the airport Hyatt before hopping DME in the morning. By the time we land, I will have been up for over 20 hours and I know I will be ready to get to sleep. The thought of additional "delay" in getting to bed is really bugging me.

How is baggage claim at Orlando? I've never used it since we have always either flown with only carry-ons, or we have had DME get our bags. How long will it take to get from the plane to baggage claim and back up to the Hyatt? There are just a few things that I would like to take that cannot go in my carry-on, but it's not a huge deal to substitute them for something that can. For example, I can use Tide powder instead of the pods that I like. I have some hair products that can't be transferred from their larger containers for travel so I would probably leave them home. It seems silly to check a bag for 2-3 items that I can live without, but yet if it's not going to be a huge hassle or inconvenience, then I should consider it.

So....check or carry-on???
In those circumstances I wouldn't check it. Just take it with you so you don't have to worry about it or make unnecessary stops.

I suggest not checking in first! The last time we took our time to baggage claim, they took our bag and kept it behind a desk and we had to go looking for it. You don't want that late at night. Just go and get your bag safely, and go to the hotel.

Thank you all for your suggestions and input:thumbsup2.

I have found a sturdy, zippered 3-1-1 bag and a small prescription bottle to hold my laundry pods. I also bought some small, squeezable 2oz bottles and I am happy to say that I can fit all of the liquids/gels into the bag:banana:. I removed the laundry detergent, shampoo/conditioner and body wash from my grocery order. I am still ordering some facial cleanser and moisturizer (both travel size Olay Regenerist), a travel-size bottle of hairspray, and a bottle of spray sunscreen (Neutrogena, SPF 100) which will fit into the 3-1-1 bag to come home once I use up the laundry pods. I shouldn't need to check a bag in either direction:goodvibes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!