To book throwaway room or not?

FigmentSpark

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking about booking a tent site for one night for the extra 30 days of FPP booking. Pricewise, it's worth it and feels like a 'fee' for FPPs. But I know we aren't actually staying there and I don't even have to check in. It feels like I would be taking a spot from someone who is actually looking to stay on site.

Then, there's the idea of cancelling the spot within the 30 days, but again, that feels like I'm just gaming the system in a way that, if eveyone did it, would totally mess up reservations and anyway, I don't want to risk losing any FPPs I gain.

So, have you done it? What was your experience?

Would you do it if you were staying offsite?

When are you going? We went in August (non-busy time) and I found I actually didn't keep almost any of the FP I booked at 60 days! I constantly changed them the few weeks before we were going, and then again constantly the day/night before and day-of, depending on plans changing, weather, dining etc.

We're going over spring break. Good point about making changes. It's the headliners that I was thinking about - FOP, SDD, SDMT. Maybe that's a lot of money for a few rides?

We're going over spring break. Good point about making changes. It's the headliners that I was thinking about - FOP, SDD, SDMT. Maybe that's a lot of money for a few rides?
We booked a spur of the moment trip a couple of years ago, i found an amazing deal on Cyber Monday and we arrived on Jan 2nd -- 32 days later. I didn't even have tickets until about 20 days out because we still hadn't decided if we were even going to do any parks!! (That trip was dubbed a Sanity Break and we stayed at the Dolphin) We had ZERO trouble making all of the FP we wanted, including Soarin on the last day it was to be open for 6 month, (not good on the shortforms here..) Dwarf ride, all of the mountains, we even managed to get a reservation for lunch at BOG (that one i know for some odd reason!) Like @kuhltiffany mentioned we didn't even have trouble while on site changing, adding, or making ADR's and it was STUPID BUSY by the last day of our trip due to the marathon ( the wait for the People Mover was 45 minutes and even Carousel of Progress had massive lines) I would recommend spending $10-ish for a year's worth of Touring Plans so you can use their Lines APP since it helps you make day of FP+ and ADRs based on live, user driven information.

***ETA on our last trip when there were 6 of us who kept changing our minds --dealing with adult children is a lot like herding kittens -- I found it was easier to book the FP+ one or two people at a time instead of trying for all 6, for some reason the system let that happen but when i tried for 6 it would say nope.

I actually considered doing it for my August trip (which was just MK and Epcot) but ultimately decided against it. With 8 people it was nigh impossible to get something like the Mine Train but I still got rides people wanted without much trouble. Used the “changing FPS on the fly” strategy and felt that it worked well for us.

So my personal conclusion is that the extra 30 day perk is beneficial, but ultimately not worth the cost of a tent site to gain it. YMMV, of course.

Other years I've had no trouble getting everything I wanted, too. But this year are the two big headliners in parks without a lot of competition, so the FPPs go fast. Also, they are now letting neighbouring hotel guests book FPPs at 60 days, which is different than other years I've been to the World.

You all are talking some sense into me, though. It would be $133 USD for the tent spot, which is roughly an additional $34 for each of us to go on 3 or 4 rides that we can still go on, but may have to strategize to do so.

I have the TP subscription and will be doing up a plan. I was just thinking this might give me an extra layer of assurance. I do still feel it's a bit fake, though, so maybe I should just go with my gut.

The only two attractions that require 60+3 to get FP+ are Skinky Dog and FOP. When we rode those last week they had a 3 and 4h wait for the standing line respectively.

The only two attractions that require 60+3 to get FP+ are Skinky Dog and FOP. When we rode those last week they had a 3 and 4h wait for the standing line respectively.
Was that all day? What about first thing in the morning or at the end of day?

Line quickly build up to over 2h (within 15 minutes) and at the end of day it was still 180 minutes for FOP (I haven't seen the time for SDD at end of day). Those were on busy days (Jan 1 and 2nd) but Spring week can also be very busy also.

Line quickly build up to over 2h (within 15 minutes) and at the end of day it was still 180 minutes for FOP (I haven't seen the time for SDD at end of day). Those were on busy days (Jan 1 and 2nd) but Spring week can also be very busy also.
Yikes!

I can’t wait to stand in line for the Star Wars and GotG rides once they open at WDW. (/sarcasm)

That's scary. But I was only going to book 1 throwaway room, which wouldn't help me with the 60+4, since I won't have those days. Gah! Well, maybe I'll be taking a pass on those. :worried:

I have the TP subscription and will be doing up a plan. I was just thinking this might give me an extra layer of assurance. I do still feel it's a bit fake, though, so maybe I should just go with my gut.

We didn't use their stupid touring plans, I've been going since 1971 and I have a pretty good idea of what a logical day looks like and it doesn't match theirs most of the time :P

What i did use it for all the time was to see the ACTUAL wait time for rides compared to the posted signs and I loved the ability to check and see what FP+ were available right then, I would have that app open and hubby or one of the kids had MDE open on theirs and we would work together to snag ones in the area. That worked really well for us and it gave the fidgety (30 yr old) kid something to do in line as he timed our actual wait times and submitted them.

I did it once about 3 years ago. We paid maybe $50-$60 for a tent spot just to get the 60 day fast passes, 2 days of free parking, and magic bands for everyone. To me it was worth it. I wasn't able to book the fast passes for my whole trip at 60 days out. I had to book them one day at a time at 60+1, 60+2, etc.

That's a good price for parking and magic bands. I hadn't thought of that. Did you have to show up at the campsite to get your magic bands? Also, was the parking free anywhere in the World or only for your camping spot? Also, this would cost me $133, not $60... USD, so is it worth it for that?

You will need to check in at the campground to get the magic bands (up to 10) because they cannot be shipped to Canada. Parking is everywhere at WDW with Magic band so worth 40$ (20$/day).

I'm thinking about booking a tent site for one night for the extra 30 days of FPP booking. Pricewise, it's worth it and feels like a 'fee' for FPPs. But I know we aren't actually staying there and I don't even have to check in. It feels like I would be taking a spot from someone who is actually looking to stay on site.

Then, there's the idea of cancelling the spot within the 30 days, but again, that feels like I'm just gaming the system in a way that, if eveyone did it, would totally mess up reservations and anyway, I don't want to risk losing any FPPs I gain.

So, have you done it? What was your experience?

Would you do it if you were staying offsite?

You've already answered your own question. You are obviously bothered by taking a spot away from someone who actually wants to camp.
I wouldn't do it. I go by the saying "Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should".
Don't flame me, it's just one opinion on the subject. I know others love to do it and Disney doesn't stop you.

We stayed onsite for one day to get the 60 day advanced booking. We still couldn't get the major fastpasses because people who have the 60+4 or 5 or 6 or 7, etc had already booked up all the good fastpasses before me with my measly 60 had a chance. We really didn't even go in a very busy time (Hallowe'en week). It wasn't worth it. Besides that, we stayed at a Cars family suite at Art of Animation and the room was a dump for the small fortune we paid for it. We won't do that again.

Thanks, all. I'm thinking it's not worth it for the price. Yes to $40 of parking and, what, $40 of magic bands (10x4?), but it will cost $133 and I still won't get the FPPs, so what's the point? I appreciate all your input and experiences, though. It has made the situation much clearer for me.

But couldn't you just book for a week or something and then cancel AFTER the 30 days out since that's when everyone is able to make FP+ reservations? Would your FP+ stay in your MDE account if you cancelled at say 29 days out from day arrival?

My parents were staying onsite in early December and couldn't get a FP for FoP for 60+1 days. I ended up snagging them one within the 30 day window when some more fastpasses were released.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!