TO AVOID JERSEY WEEK OR NOT? That is the question! (For a party of 11 new to Disney)

Originally posted by motherandchild

I wish someone could just say... "jennifer, please stay at _____ resort... on ______ days.... and do this__________......"

Jennifer, please stay at the Wilderness Lodge on November 1-9 and have a fabulous, magical time!

Jennifer,

I think you'll enjoy POR. It is very relaxing. As for the nice big family dinner, Hoop Dee Doo might really get your spirts up. It's all you can eat & drink (beer & sangria included) and works for all ages.

:D Toots

Last year we had to go to WDW during Jersey week due to my husband's work schedule. I had read on these boards about the crowds but thought why would schools being closed in NJ affect the crowds in Florida. After being used to no crowds the week before or the week after Thanksgiving, I got a real shock. The place was mobbed!! If you are going anywhere near Jersey week or Veterans' Day, you can expect a mob scene. When others say it is not crowded, they must be comparing it to summer crowds. I urge you to avoid Jersey week and Veterans' Day.

Jennifer, Whats the problem with Jersey? I see u were very upset when u found out it was jersey week and PBA conference..well i will be down there that week and yes DH is a member the of Jersey PBA......not a problem but just a bunch of cops at disney with family and friends......if i was u i would stay towards the end of Nov to advoid jersey week and all the police officers...............have a margarita for me.......

I am going November 8-16 also.

You will be fine. Jersey week will be winding down, and I never found it to be that big a difference in crowds anyway, unless it was on Saturday at the Magic Kingdom or in the food & wine lines at Epcot (you'll have the Food & Wine Festival to check out in Epcot - best to try it on a weekday).

Anybody remember the dates for super soap? Just don't go to the Studios on that weekend. Most of the crowds will be there to see the soap stars, and won't be waiting for the attractions anyway.

Find out how to use Fastpass, and use it for the popular attractions. It really helps with the waiting times.

Jennifer, welcome to the Dis... I am glad to see that everyone has been so helpful in answering your question..

If you do not mind "iffy" weather, the week after Thanksgiving is a great time to go as all the Christmas decorations are up and it is so festive, I have gone at that time for the past three years and just love it.. Good luck with your trip planning.. :)

Volleymom,
No REAL problem with people from NJ.... (heck I'm originally from NY- Now "WE" have a bad rap)..... :)

Anyway... I just really wanted to get a quiet time, that's all... I figured all of Nov. was quiet... Then I read a few posts from other threads that said.... "watch out for Jersey week.... it's mobbed"..
... Since it's everyone's first time... I really wanted to avoid a busy time.. .I was a little freaked out.

We'll have fun regardless..
Thanks everyone for all your help!
Jennifer

Jennifer,

When the trip is over, I hope your family appreciates the work you've put into this!

Here's my experience; in 2000 we were at WDW from 10/31 - 11/6. I guess Monday 11/6 was the first official day of Jersey Week that year. We noticed that MK was a little more crowded that day than it had been on Thursday the previous (non- Jersey)week. The week before Jersey week we probably waited an average of 10 minutes to get on a ride in MK. During Jersey week we might have waited 12-13 minutes. It WAS more crowded, but if we hadn't learned about, and been aware of Jersey Week from the DIS, I don't know if we would have thought much about it.

BTW, we went to EPCOT the second part of our Jersey Week day and didn't notice any increase in crowds from the previous week.

It sounds like maybe you're expecting the worst, so hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised! :D

Also, we'll be there during Jersey Week this year, 10/31 - 11/6 with a 3-day DCL cruise 11/6 - 11/9!

Make a PS for Chef Mickey's. It is a character meal located in the Contemporary. This will put the whole family in the Disney mood on the first night. Also, it is a buffet so there are lots of choices for even a picky eater (and this will give you one less thing to worry about). Have fun.

Hi, we're also going to WDW for the first time from Oct 31st to November 9th, right over Jersey week!! I am now so distressed as I had thought that this would be a quiet time of the year!! I am planning to go to MK on the 6th (Thur) AK on the 7th( Fri) and MGM on the Sat 8th. Can anyone tell me is this a good idea? I have a feeling that MGM may not be e good idea on that Saturday?
Help please?????? :confused:

MGM on the Sat the 8th is probably not a good idea that's the soap star weekend and MGM should be very crowded. It seems that many people are distressed over Jersey Week. It's true it would be a little more crowded than the week before Thanksgiving would be, but it's not totally mobbed. What you all need to realize that crowds will increase because just like many of us people have taken advantage of the FTP. For those concerned about the PBA conference there are always conference at WDW that why they have those big conference centers at some of the hotels. The PBA everyones upset about is from 5-12 at the CSR. It will certainly be more crowded than usual but just use the coping methods. If its to crowded move to another park, use fast pass and EE. The weather is beautiful in Nov so at least we all won't be sweating and miserable as we wait in line. Relax and enjoy planning you trip. Jersey people are nice (not evil) I felt a little offended like Jersey people were somehow spoiling others vacations. Further from the truth.

Paula

Been there many times. Jersey week, Third week in Nov, December, April (not Easter time) Worst crowds ever experienced were in last week of April.

My family doesn't live in New Jersey but we inadvertantly went last year during Jersey week....my DW, DD (3) and I had a great time.......

I'm comparing the crowds to summer because I've never gone any other time and the crowds in Jersey week were much less than anything I've seen in summer....

Also, the weather was perfect....not too hot, not too cold.....

We are going back this year during Jersey week and we are looking forward to another great time.....

i admit i haven't read the other responses on here, but i will give you our experience.

we were in wdw for jersey week (and after) in 2001. we did not find it crowded at all and if i hadn't read about it here i wouldn't have even known. it was not empty, but it was only slightly more crowded than the first week of december 2002. the crowds were certainly not comparable to spring break or june crowds of 2000/2001 respectively. the week of thanksgiving (starting the saturday before) was noticeably more crowded than jersey week.

i would go without a second thought. the weather at that time of year is perfect. :)

I guess it depends on what your idea of crowded is. We've been to WDW in Jan & early Dec and waited 5 minutes or less for most rides.

In 2001 when we went during the first week of Nov it was much more crowded than I had expected but STILL not bad. Some days we literally walked onto Splash Mountain, Space Mountain and other bigger rides. Other times there was more of a wait. The ONLY ride that there was more than a 15-20 min wait for was Test Track & that is because Fast Pass was being refurbished. So to me 15-20 minutes isn't bad at all!

Obviously it wasn't too crowded for us, since we're going already booked for 11/1-11/9!

Good luck w/the rest of your planning. :D

The discussion here has been so great! Thank you everyone...

To "anyone" who happened to be offended by my comment.... it was never my intent. This question really had nothing to do with people from NJ.... but more to do with the size of the crowds. I was trying to pick the wisest time possible to take our family of 11 to WDW, that's all. I don't believe anyone's apprehension about "jersey week"... has to do with the fact that the people are from NJ.....

Anyway, Thank you all for such great information!:D

Jennifer

And I think I'm trying for Chef Mickey's our first Saturday night. Fingers crossed.

We were there for "Jersey Week" in 2000. We did not find it crowded at all, just busier than you would think for November. The upside was the Festival of the Masters art festival at Downtown Disney (dates still not announced for this year) and the Epcot Food and Wine Festival. Plus, it's the perfect time for early Christmas shopping!

Jennifer:

I didn't think anyone was being offensive about the people in Jersey. It just seems that this Jersey thing has been totally blown out of porportion the last couple years. Everyone seems to know now that we have a break (and the best place to spend a break is WDW). I actually homeschool my children and we could go anytime. I choose November because I love the weather and the food and wine festival. You will also find alot of families from England many of them have their semester break around the same time (late Oct - to mid Nov). I'm just concerned that this year with increased crowds due to the FTP if it's more crowded it will be blamed on Jersey week. I don't think you can ever estimate crowds due to things like conferences, FTP and other specials like Food and Wine and Soap Weekend. They all can bring in local family for the day and the parks can become suddendly crowded.

One thing I do know is the weather is great, the Food and Wine Festival is awesome and you'll have a magical time in WDW.

Paula

Jennifer, Congratulations on setting up those reservations and now leaving them alone!!!!!!! :) I think you are your family will really like POR and especially the mansion side, its so pretty! Now that everything is set you can get onto the fun planning of picking out a few places to eat and making a list of "must-see" attractions!!! Have fun with the rest of the planning!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!