TO AVOID JERSEY WEEK OR NOT? That is the question! (For a party of 11 new to Disney)

motherandchild

Earning My Ears
To avoid JERSEY WEEK OR NOT?

Okay.... I have changed my tickets via Fairytale Package 3 times. I'm exhausted... because it is my first visit... and of course... I have two other families.. (in laws, sister in law) joining us. We started in Oct.... Switched to end of Sept. then finally settled on Nov. 1-9th yesterday. Well... I compulsively read and research everything... and I found this thing called NJ WEEK.... UGGGG!

Apparently very busy... My objective to go in the fall was for it to be a slow time. Not only is it "NJ Week", but also .. NJ state police will be there.. (I've read)... and Soap Opera weekend.. and whatever else...

So... the dreaded question... I must book by Saturday or Sunday.... Should we change our tickets once again? I desperately do not want a very busy time... Will any time be busy .. just because of this Fairy tale package?

It is everyone's first time at Disney... and I would like to do things right... but long lines are just so unappealing to me...

Offer your advice... Thank you.!

Disney Joe--thanks for your info once again. We're locked into Nov 1-9. OKW GV with another family. I was actually sick in my stomach when I thought about the crowds, but I'll also take your advise and just have fun. And keep my fingers crossed

Hey Joe,
It was orginally just the 5 of us in our immediate family... Booked in early October... (best date thus far)... Then I made the mistake of bragging to my in-laws about the wonderful rate... (keep in mind... no one has ever been to Disney before)... So they said, "please let us come".... Okay... I thought...

Well... My in-laws are totally emeshed with my sister in law... and they can do nothing without the other... So ... she decides... she's game too! (with her two kids and hubby)...

So our party of 5.. .now turns into a party of 11... and they say..."just book it for us"...

Availability was limited in Oct.... so we switched to Sept 27-Oct 4 to accomadate everyone in the same hotel. Keep in mind.. we are from DC (originally Upstate NY)... and in laws and fam.. .from NY... and then everyone decided.. ...... end of Sept.. was too hot... and rainfall was more.. and oh my god.. "there might be a tropical storm"... and so on and so forth.

So..... being the "person in charge"... once the FTP was extended... I suggested Nov. 1-9th. Everyone was onboard and excited...

Then to my dismay... I found information concerning "jersey week"... Uggg.... i thought. Does it ever end???? Keep in mind.. .everytime I"ve changed everyone has had to ask for approvals at work.. and time off... etc... IT HAS BEEN A PAIN IN THE BEHIND!!!!!!

I honestly just don't want to deal with long lines... or hot weather..... (too much to ask?)......

So I am still very skiddish about the first week of NOV.... and am thinking Nov. 15-23rd... might be better... but we would like to swim just a little... so I think that might be pushing it.

Thank you for your input... I respect it.. and I'll figure this out in the next day... In the meantime.. ... my extended family is all bent out of shape because we keep changing dates..... Never again!

Although... I did read a post earlier talking about how wonderful large gatherings are... and that everyone won't be around forever... etc... Since we had a death in the family in Feb. I feel I just need to go with the flow and embrace the moment.

Thanks to all of you.
Jennifer

Also...
sorry to bore anyone... I apologize in advance...

We keep changing resorts....

I currently have two sets of reservations... once at the POR and one at WL.

I just don't know where to stay... I just want it clean and nice....
I want to be able to bring a blender... margaritas... kick back and relax.. (not going to happen with a total of 5 kids in our party)... But anyway...

I just would like a really fun place.. that's pretty and clean...
I don't know when we'll be back... so I don't know if the extra $600 for the WL is worth it.... and then once I consider the WL... someone suggests...... "gotta stay at AKL"...

So... I'm confused, frustrated, disappointed, scared, and plain just worried that I'll screw it up for everyone.

I wish someone could just say... "jennifer, please stay at _____ resort... on ______ days.... and do this__________......"

But everyone has such varied opinions... and it's just so hard.

Anyway..
thanks joe... I feel like I have seen a therapist... which is probably really what I need...
Do you prescribe zoloft or paxil.... please send it my way.
LOVE,
Jennifer

I have been to WDW more times than I could remember (grew up in FL). DH, DS (age 5) and I went 7 times last year!!!!

Sooooooo,

Jennifer, please stay at the Wilderness Lodge Resort on November 15-23rd (totally bypassing Soap Weekend, NJ week, Veteran's Day and the beginning of Thanksgiving week). If you don't have the parks all to yourselves I will be VERY MUCH surprised!!!!!

It's your first time (and with a large group). You will need breathing space and lots of time. Take it from someone who knows what she is talking about!

Oh! Forgot the last part:

do this...relax and have fun!!!!!

Thank you Susy,
I honestly feel like crying... and think I am right now.
Keep in mind... I just had two margaritas...

I'm spent.... Don't know what to do... and just want to do everything perfect.:D

thanks... so much really.
Jennifer

Jennifer--You'd love WL--it's awesome there. But check out OKW for the room size. If you're traveling with family, that will be invaluable!! Been there done that many times.

OK Joe.....

Thank you!

Thanks for advice... thanks for even caring to respond.

Thanks.

Did i say thank you?

Jennifer

June,
what is OKW?

Sorry... but all these abbreviations are causing me an ulcer. Also.. .people use the quote... DH... or DS....
I think they are talking about husband and kids... but I really don't know what it stands for?????
Love,
jennifer

OKW is Old Key West Resort, one of the Disney Vacation Club properties. You may be able to book there (either studio or one bedroom with kitchen) for the same price as the Wilderness Lodge. The rooms are absolutely huge at the OKW. It is a great laid back atmosphere that we really enjoy when we are away from the craziness in the parks.

I think DH, DD means darling husband, darling daughter, etc.

Some other really great sites you may want to check out are: www.wdwig.com
www.***********.com
www.intercot.com

Cool pictures of resorts and lots of info on the first two sites

Hope this helps!! June

Jennifer - Please DO NOT go the first week in November as a first timer! I think you will enjoy the Nov. 15 -23rd week a WHOLE LOT MORE!!! :) Don't worry you will be able to swim - the pools are heated and its still very warm and sunny!!!!

We made the Jersey Week mistake last year. We like going at uncrowded times and I picked the first week in November thinking it would be great....well it was the most crowded we have ever seen it! Now keep in mind we only go during uncrowded times and not during summer etc. but even still we were quite shocked at all the people. The cm's would even ask you - "so what part of Jersey are you from?"

Since you seem to have leeway as to when you can all go I strongly vote for the middle of Nov!!!! YOu will find uncrowded parks and most likely gorgeous weather!!

On the hotels - we've stayed at POR, WL, & AKL and they are all great!!!! In fact all the Disney hotels are great, try not to obsess to much about which one to pick, just pick it and stick with it!!!!! I will mention that something I do really like about WL and AKL is that everything is under "one roof." POR is much more spread out. But I would stay at any of them in a heartbeat.

Good luck with the rest of your planning!!!

I agree with suzy. Although POR is a great resort, WL is just a cut above. Also I agree with the 15th thru the 22nd. We would go that week but my daughter has volleyball tryouts at school, so we will be at WL the week after Thanksgiving.

Two years ago, our first day was on Friday of NJ week/Soap Weekend. Although the crowds were not at summer/holiday levels, it was crowded and we really notice a big drop in crowds after Monday (Veterans Day). Much nicer then.

Good luck, have fun, and RELAX!

Jennifer ----
I hope that you will be able to 'relax' planning this vacation. Pick a date & hotel & then stick with it!!! Don't worry about the crowds & weather -- you really have no control over that!
Don't try to get the group to stay together all of the time - you will all need some 'breathing space' - it will be much more enjoyable for everyone!! Get a game plan for the day -- let everyone know about it - if they want to join in fine - if not, you can set a meeting place for later in the day. The first few days you might decide to stay together, but later some may venture off by themselves after they becoming confortable with all of the surroundings!! Have you thought of having everyone going to the Hoop Dee Doo one night -- that is a lot of fun!!!! Just remember, that it is 'everyone's' vacation!!!
The most inportant thing is to 'REMEMBER THE MAGIC"!!

Jennifer-- I feel for you. My SIL and I sees things totally differently--she loves crowds and really stimulating , loud places, I like a few people and a relatively quiet atmosphere. We can both go to the same place and she will love it and I will hate it. So, what I'v learned over the years is that everyone is responsible for their own fun. You may be taking care of the reservations, but they need to make their own fun.

We first went to Disney in December 2001--it seemed there was hardly anyone around. We walked down Main Street alone and were by ourselves on the Dumbo ride. It was a rather eery feeling. We stayed at POR and had a great time. Last year, we went the first week of Nov, since our kids had two teacher workdays (in VA) and it was more crowded but not bad at all. We stayed at the Poly. The weather was warm enough to go swimming and we would hop to another park when we felt it was too crowded for us. We avoided MGM on Super soap week-end. Only mistake we made was to go to BB on election day since there were a lot of locals there. But again, not so bad that I wouldn't do it again. In fact, we keep going back because it is a great place for our family--This year we are going in Mid-October, staying at the Contemporary. The first time we went was supposed to be our "once in a lifetime trip" but as you can see, we are now going back for the third time--different time of year, different resort. Whenever you go and wherever you stay, you will have a wonderful time.

Don't get stressed with all the planning--some of our best memories are of things we saw or did that were totally unplanned. good luck!

Just a note Jersey Week as you all like to call it is from Nov 6,7,8,9,10th and 11th. I know some people going the first week of Nov and some going the second. Personally we will be there from Nov 7th till the 16th. I have been during Jersey week and the crowds were less than when we went in April (not easter break, Easter was in March that year). It was not that crowded and I except it to be a little bit more crowded just due to the FTP. Don't worry about the crowds like someone said before you can't control them. Enjoy your planning and visit and think positive (you don't want to give yourself an ulcer bfore your vacation).

Not everyone from Jersey goes but you will see alot of us there. Just remember if a park is a little crowed go to another park. Hop around parks and take advantage of EE, and fastpass for the rides and attractions.

If you really want low crowds the less crowed week we ever had was the first week in Dec. Happy planning and I know you'll have a great trip.

Paula

Hi Jennifer - My vote would also be 11/15 to 23rd. WL used to be my very favorite resort until I stayed at the AKL which is now my new favorite. But you cannot go wrong with the WL. You are a short boat ride from the MK and we never had a problem with the buses to the other parks. But ... if you love animals, take a look at the AKL. You need to use buses for all of the parks from there but the nice thing is that the AKL buses are not shared with any other resorts. When we stayed at AKL we never waited more then 5 to 10 minutes for a bus and the best thing is that they were NEVER full - which is really great when you have walked all day and all you want to do is sit down! Also planning the trip is almost as much fun as the trip itself. So, relax and enjoy your planning. My husband would think that I am ill if I don't change our reservations at least 2 or 3 times while planning our trip. Some years I think I changed the dates and/or resort of our reservations 5 or 6 times before we have everything finalized! And just remember - Disney is magic - it is impossible for anyone have a bad time at Disney. I am sure your entire family will have a great time. I wish that I could convince my mom, sister and adult son to make a trip to Disney a family event. But they are not interested. Enjoy your first trip to visit the mouse and may it be the first of many. Sherry:D

Jennifer,
Hi! Just checking up on you!!!! Have you made those reservations for WL for 15-22??? I think you will breathe easy after you've done that..then the fun part- the planning....feel free to PM me with any questions about touring plans, making PS's, what to pack,etc! We took our son for his first time after the rush of Veteran's day and all was over and we had a blast. My son got to "open" the MK on his very first time there!!! I have a picture of Fantasyland that day about 10:30 and there is NO ONE at all in the background (even far away). We walked on to every ride that first trip-we were spolied! The weather was also perfect!!!! Cool enough that you didn't sweat, but warm enough to swim in the afternoon. At night we wore pants and had a light jacket or sweatshirt. Orlando has the least amount of rainfall in Nov than in any other month. It did rain one afternoon, but we put on our Mickey ponchos and off we went. They sell them in EVERY shop in WDW. They cost around $5 and are well worth it! Sorry for rambling. Hey! We will be at WL right after you. We arrive on the 26th! Yes, we are crazy! Definitely read wdwig.com- the menus are my favorite and there are great photos of the WL!

Thank you all for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has been crazy!
I MADE MY RESERVATIONS.... YAHOOOOOOOOO!

I feel like the weight of the world has lifted off my shoulders.

:Pinkbounc

IT's the craziest thing... but since I had to work around my SIL husband's schedule.... We couldn't go the 15th-23rd. UGG! So I just booked the Nov. 9th (a Sunday) thru 16th. We decided to do a "room only" res. for Nov. 8th. We will drive thru the night... get in... sometime Sat. morning/noon... and just RELAX!!!!

I am going to expect it is busy the weekend of the 8th-9th... and perhaps thru Veterans Day... but I'm hoping the tail end of the week will quiet down.

I figured we might get the second week of "jersey week".... since it looks like it could affect two different weeks... Nov. 1- 9th... and then the 9th onward... WHO KNOWS!!! My gut tells me the first week would be busier...... but I just can't predict it.

I am going to stop worrying also. I begged my hubby for the WL... and he said it was fine... But my SIL and Inlaws don't want to pay the extra $600/family it would cost to upgrade. So I'm looking at that $600 as money in the bank for our 2nd trip to Disney...:p

I decided to stop fighting it... and just gracefully accepted that they didn't want the deluxe resort. I booked the POR and upgraded the rooms to waterview (don't tell anybody.. but that only cost an extra $65 for the entire stay... and I thought... damn... I"m going to get something I want).... I requested the Mansion's, Magnolia Terrace/ or Bend or something... and a view of the river. Hope it works!!!!!

I feel relief... and hope it will work out... and if it's busy... I know I did just about everything I could have realistically done to make it the best experience possible. We'll just have to use EE and fastpass if needed!

Now... the last thing before I relax... Where to eat that very first night!!!!! I figure I nice big family blowout... something fun and lots of food...! Any suggestions would be great.

Thank you all so much.... I'll keep in touch with some of you!!!!
Love always,
Jennifer;)

We were there for Jersey Week/Soap Week last year and the only time I really noticed the big crowds was on the bus and at the popular rides. Other than that it was fine. Just make sure you have all your ps's made as soon as possible for your meals, and maybe think about driving to the parks to avoid the bus crowds. It will be just fine. :) You all will have a great time. :)

Originally posted by motherandchild

I honestly just don't want to deal with long lines... or hot weather..... (too much to ask?)......

Disney World may not be the vacation for you.

(Just Kidding!!!)
Go and have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter