To Alaska on the Disney Wonder with Four Adults - August 2016

We are super excited, thanks!! Your trip reports was very helpful (my husband took some quick notes on beer suggestions..he brings a mug home from each trip).

We're still trying to decide whether or not to book an Alaska cruise. We've been on 5 DCL cruises and will be going back to the Baltic for our 6th on 8/9/18 and on a 5-day Caribbean 1/19/19 for our 7th. Your report drew me in when I read that this is your 3rd DCL - Alaska Cruise. The main reason we've been waffling is we've been to Alaska a number of times. I've been there 4 times, twice to do mountaineering, and my DW has been there twice. One of the trips we took together in 2001 involved flying into Juneau where we stayed for 4 days. While there we took an all-day small boat (20 people max.) trip to the Sawyer Glacier's ($102). On another day we rode the tram up above the city and hiked around, and we spent an entire day hiking around the Mendenhall Glacier. Then we flew in a small Piper Cub to Skagway where we stayed for another 3-days and did the train trip. From there we took the ferry to Haines for 4-days, before returning to Juneau by plane to fly home. Therefore, we've seen much of the scenery and ports that the cruise visits except for Ketchikan. We also haven't been to Vancouver yet either.

We’ve never been with any other cruise line to Alaska. But if you enjoy the gorgeous scenery of Alaska and love to cruise DCL I don’t see why you wouldn’t like an Alaskan cruise with them!

Vancouver is a great city with a lot of things to do and Ketchikan is beautiful! On our first cruise, we did the mountain point snorkeling adventure which was truly unique, and on the second cruise we did the Neets Bay bear watch which was amazing! Even when we didn’t have an excursion planned, we enjoyed walking around the quaint little towns and enjoying the clean air. The sea days are relaxing and it’s amazing to sail in such calm waters. The fjord cruising day is always fantastically serene.

Overall the vibe is just different from the warm weather cruises - I guess I’d say more cozy and laid back. Nothing beats a hot cocoa up on deck while on a lounge chair wrapped in a blanket - and this is from someone who really doesn’t like the cold! We definitely plan to do another Alaska cruise with Disney some day!

Aby

We’ve never been with any other cruise line to Alaska. But if you enjoy the gorgeous scenery of Alaska and love to cruise DCL I don’t see why you wouldn’t like an Alaskan cruise with them!

Vancouver is a great city with a lot of things to do and Ketchikan is beautiful! On our first cruise, we did the mountain point snorkeling adventure which was truly unique, and on the second cruise we did the Neets Bay bear watch which was amazing! Even when we didn’t have an excursion planned, we enjoyed walking around the quaint little towns and enjoying the clean air. The sea days are relaxing and it’s amazing to sail in such calm waters. The fjord cruising day is always fantastically serene.

Overall the vibe is just different from the warm weather cruises - I guess I’d say more cozy and laid back. Nothing beats a hot cocoa up on deck while on a lounge chair wrapped in a blanket - and this is from someone who really doesn’t like the cold! We definitely plan to do another Alaska cruise with Disney some day!

Aby
You've got us seriously thinking about it for 2019. Also, I forgot to compliment you on your fine report and great pics.

Thanks so much! I’ve got two more in the works that I hope to have done soon - an EBPC and a Med!

Let me know what you decide!

Aby

Aby
Thanks so much for responding to my question. We will be 8 adults on the cruise. Pictures were great !!

I'm curious about the catamaran to the Glacier. Were the seas choppy at all? thanks,

Not at all! The seas in the fjord were quite smooth for the entire journey. We really loved this excursion!

Aby

Thank you Aby My DH does not do well on catamarans when its choppy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!