TIW - how to crunch the numbers?

Livelovedance

DIS Veteran
There are a lot of threads asking if TIW is worth it. I'm trying to figure this out myself. We don't drink, and we already have the DVC/AP discount, but with multiple trips planned I'm wondering if we could still come out ahead purchasing TIW on our next trip. How exactly do you crunch the numbers? The website for each restaurant gives a price range per person, but if it's a buffet (for example) does the price range by time of year? Is there a way to find more concrete information? We always tip either 18% or 20% so the automatic gratuity isn't an issue.

Thanks in advance!

We've purchased TIW in previous trips, but we did not purchase it the last 2 trips because of the increased restaurants that take an AP or DVC discount. We decided where we wanted to eat and then looked at the list of restaurants for both sets of discounts. If the restaurants were already on the AP/DVC discount, why buy TIW?

We've purchased TIW in previous trips, but we did not purchase it the last 2 trips because of the increased restaurants that take an AP or DVC discount. We decided where we wanted to eat and then looked at the list of restaurants for both sets of discounts. If the restaurants were already on the AP/DVC discount, why buy TIW?
Many of the restaurants take both, but the DVC/AP discount is 10% and the TIW discount is 20%. Since we have multiple trips planned this year I'm wondering if we can come out ahead with the 20% discount, even after paying $150 for it.

Many of the restaurants take both, but the DVC/AP discount is 10% and the TIW discount is 20%. Since we have multiple trips planned this year I'm wondering if we can come out ahead with the 20% discount, even after paying $150 for it.
Since you'd be saving an extra 10% rather than the 20%, to figure out if it would be worth it, if you don't include alcohol, you have to spend at least $1,500 on table service meals, which is not unheard of for a family over the course of 3 or 4 trips per year...but it depends upon your eating habits. Before there were widely available AP and DVC discounts, I always got the TiW card, but now that most of the restaurants honor AP and DVC, I stopped getting the TiW. Because even over 2 trips, I rarely spent $1,500.00 on table service. If I had two or three trips planned with 5 or more people, I would definitely consider TiW.

The Tables in Wonderland program was basically created to entice locals to start eating on property more, which is why it's offered to Florida residents or annual passholders. For me, it's a no brainer - I live in Orlando, and I eat on property several times a month - it pays for itself after 4 or 5 meals (then again, I'm feeding an army of 20 somethings who eat with shovels and still have functioning metabolisms). I think if you're in WDW for a few weeks a year, prefer eating at signature restaurants, enjoy wine with dinner and utilize the valet service (valet is free with TiW), then its definitely worth it. AP and DVC discounts are only 10% and don't include alcohol (unless that's changed).

Yes, I'd forgotten about the free valet, since I haven't driven to Disney, or rented car, for a few years and have used DME. If you drive or rent a car, and plan to dine at different resorts, the free valet parking is awesome.

The recent trips have only been DH, my sister and her husband....and we definitely did not spend $1500 in meals that would offer the discounts. When we purchased it before, all 4 kids were with us and it definitely saved us money. BUT....DH just started a job in Daytona Beach, and we'll be going more often. TIW, especially with the valet parking, is much more attractive. Thanks Chuck and Pete!!!

Thanks everyone. Alcohol and parking won't apply to us. For our upcoming trips we have two adults, approximately 20 days total for the year (spread out between trips), but three of those days are block out dates. We always do one table service a day, often a character meal and/or buffet. Those meals add up, so I'm just wondering if we should try TIW this year.

Thanks everyone. Alcohol and parking won't apply to us. For our upcoming trips we have two adults, approximately 20 days total for the year (spread out between trips), but three of those days are block out dates. We always do one table service a day, often a character meal and/or buffet. Those meals add up, so I'm just wondering if we should try TIW this year.
Character meals and buffets definitely add up, and could easily be a tipping point on the TiW even for 2 people.

It is $750 for the break even point for TIW. But if you do buffets and character meals even the extra 10% discount for Tables in Wonderland will definitely add up.

For us it works because we visit Wdw every March for two weeks. We might go to parks once but eat out every night. And we always get wine either a bottle or couple glasses. We got it March 2 and it’s good until April 30 2020. There are 4 of us. While we have DVC discount too the extra 10% including liquor is the deciding factor. Without alcohol though I’m not sure it would make as much sense.

I think for this year, I maybe at the breakeven point for TiW, even though I can get the AP/DVC 10% discount. There will be 5 of us for 7 days in June and 3 of us for 7 days in December, so I plan to purchase it this year. If I go May/June 2020 I'll come out ahead.

Thanks for all of the information everyone! I've had Disney on the brain more often than usual lately. I think it was a comment that @WebmasterPete made on one of the DVC shows that got me thinking about TIW. All of the variables that everyone mentioned (party size, alcohol, valet parking, number of meals/visits) are what I'm unsure of (as I'm sure a lot of people are when trying to decide on TIW!). I was trying to find a more definite source for restaurant pricing, but the information really varies. I think I'm going to try it out this year. It wouldn't be worthwhile for us on a regular basis, but I think with the number of trips we have coming up this year and the number of buffets/character meals we do, we have a good chance of it being a worthwhile purchase. We should buy it when we arrive for our next trip, correct? I think I read that the year starts from the date of purchase.

Thanks for all of the information everyone! I've had Disney on the brain more often than usual lately. I think it was a comment that @WebmasterPete made on one of the DVC shows that got me thinking about TIW. All of the variables that everyone mentioned (party size, alcohol, valet parking, number of meals/visits) are what I'm unsure of (as I'm sure a lot of people are when trying to decide on TIW!). I was trying to find a more definite source for restaurant pricing, but the information really varies. I think I'm going to try it out this year. It wouldn't be worthwhile for us on a regular basis, but I think with the number of trips we have coming up this year and the number of buffets/character meals we do, we have a good chance of it being a worthwhile purchase. We should buy it when we arrive for our next trip, correct? I think I read that the year starts from the date of purchase.

This link has good pricing info:

http://allears.net/dining/menu/?p=menu/menus.htm

We have had TIW for two years now. This “year” (Mar 1-Mar31) we are currently ahead $141.36 after purchase according to my Excel spreadsheet after considering (deducting) what the AP or DVC discount might have been (on the non alcohol portion). Plus we have a two day trip to go next week. So it’s a semi no-brainer for us. We do spend on drinks so that drives our results to some degree. YMMV, but I would wager if we were buying non alcoholic drinks versus drinks/wine we might still break even. TIW does influence our choices though too - we tend to go where it is accepted - so consider that. We do still go to Geyser Point though and pay “Retail” however. Good luck!

Last edited:
We have had TIW for two years now. This “year” (Mar 1-Mar31) we are currently ahead $141.36 after purchase according to my Excel spreadsheet after considering (deducting) what the AP or DVC discount might have been (on the non alcohol portion). Plus we have a two day trip to go next week. So it’s a semi no-brainer for us. We do spend on drinks so that drives our results to some degree. YMMV, but I would wager if we were buying non alcoholic drinks versus drinks/wine we might still break even. TIW does influence our choices though too - we tend to go where it is accepted - so consider that. We do still go to Geyser Point though and pay “Retail” however. Good luck!

Thank you! It seems like all of the restaurants we tend to go to are on the list, so we should be okay. I only wish the DVC resort quick service locations accepted it as well! I'm very interested to see how this plays out.

I'm aware of the blockout dates on the TIW card...are there similar blockout dates on the DVC discounts or Platinum Annual Passholder discounts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!