Title/Deed change

SherriNichole

Honeymooning 11/24 DVC since 98
My mom passed in October. Her and my dad were the only 2 on the DVC Account. My dad wants to remove her and add me and my brother. We have the paperwork but it’s a little confusing. Can someone walk me through the steps? It’s not a sale or transfer just an add on essentially.
It says something about a lawyer and all this other stuff. I’m lost and he’s worse off than I am.
Can we do it all at the same time? Or 2 separate ‘transactions’ so to say?

Gratuitous family transfer. That means no one is paying each other for the contract. Still does require a little bit of money.

We are currently adding me (I was merely the Associate), and taking the husband (soon to be ex) off the account. I'm going through LT Transfers. It'll be about $220 when all is said and done.

Yea ours will be about $1000 I think my dad said. So I don’t need a lawyer? And I can do it all with the forms they sent me?

My mom passed in October. Her and my dad were the only 2 on the DVC Account. My dad wants to remove her and add me and my brother. We have the paperwork but it’s a little confusing. Can someone walk me through the steps? It’s not a sale or transfer just an add on essentially.
It says something about a lawyer and all this other stuff. I’m lost and he’s worse off than I am.
Can we do it all at the same time? Or 2 separate ‘transactions’ so to say?

My condolences on the loss of your mom. :(

You can call 1st American Title, who DVC very often recommends as they are a national company. And ask them to do the title changes for you. How many contracts does you dad have? If it's just one I thought it shouldn't be more than $400 or $500. Some folks here tell how you can do it yourself, but that might be overwhelming for you right now.

Yea ours will be about $1000 I think my dad said. So I don’t need a lawyer? And I can do it all with the forms they sent me?
It depends how the contract was titled. It might have to go through probate in Florida, which would require a lawyer and can be expensive.

Other than that, you can do all the work yourself for about $40 per contract or you can pay a title company between $200-$500 to take care of it for you.

My condolences on the loss of your mom. :(

You can call 1st American Title, who DVC very often recommends as they are a national company. And ask them to do the title changes for you. How many contracts does you dad have? If it's just one I thought it shouldn't be more than $400 or $500. Some folks here tell how you can do it yourself, but that might be overwhelming for you right now.

Thank you. We have 2 contracts at Boardwalk. She passed in October so I'm ok to do the legwork. Thanks for your response.

He’s likely going from what Disney said. That’s if you go through who they recommend. It can be done for less.

I’d reach out to LT transfer and ask them.

Thank you. We have 2 contracts at Boardwalk. She passed in October so I'm ok to do the legwork. Thanks for your response.
You can do it yourself for under $100 or get LT transfers for about $350 total. Magic Title would be more in the $450-500 range total.

I guess I don't understand how I can do a title myself.
The info is on the website. The short version is you fill out transfer form #1 and send it to DVC who will send you additional instructions and a waiver of ROFR. You then need to record that along with a new deed (quit claim fine). Then send a copy of the recorded deed and transfer form #2 to DVC and it'll be done as long as you do the deed correctly which is the major sticking point since FL requires 2 witnesses AND a notary. The notary can sign as a witness if they sign in the appropriate additional spot but just notarizing it does not count as one of the witnesses. It's roughly $40 per to record last I looked ($10 page 1 and $8.50 for additional pages but the waiver and deed are separate recordings to $10 for page one of each. The sticking point is getting a deed template specific for FL but it's not that difficult.

The info is on the website. The short version is you fill out transfer form #1 and send it to DVC who will send you additional instructions and a waiver of ROFR. You then need to record that along with a new deed (quit claim fine). Then send a copy of the recorded deed and transfer form #2 to DVC and it'll be done as long as you do the deed correctly which is the major sticking point since FL requires 2 witnesses AND a notary. The notary can sign as a witness if they sign in the appropriate additional spot but just notarizing it does not count as one of the witnesses. It's roughly $40 per to record last I looked ($10 page 1 and $8.50 for additional pages but the waiver and deed are separate recordings to $10 for page one of each. The sticking point is getting a deed template specific for FL but it's not that difficult.

Oh goodness. Seems easier for us to just pay the $475 for the 1st contract and the additional $50 for the second to go through the title company they suggest. We aren’t anywhere near FL and knowing us, well screw up lol. Thanks for the help!

Oh goodness. Seems easier for us to just pay the $475 for the 1st contract and the additional $50 for the second to go through the title company they suggest. We aren’t anywhere near FL and knowing us, well screw up lol. Thanks for the help!
LT transfers will do it for less than that, roughly $375 for the 2. But in reality it is fairly easy to do.

SherriNichole, my condolences on your loss. I hope the transfer is smooth for you and your family.

Dean and DISers,
I'm in a similar situation with a gratuitous transfer. Would you have a reliable link to understand how to get and file a new deed? I have the waiver of ROFR from DVC fully signed. It appears that my next step is to actually change the deed, but I'm not sure whether this is something I can do as an average person? Does it need to be filed by a lawyer that has access to certain systems?

I don't mind reading and learning the next steps, I'm mainly concerned about reading and learning the correct info- since some info on the web may be outdated. Thank you very much for your time.

I wonder someone could find the old thread(s) on this and/or make a summary and ask the mods to turn it into a sticky? It's asked all the time.....

SherriNichole, my condolences on your loss. I hope the transfer is smooth for you and your family.

Dean and DISers,
I'm in a similar situation with a gratuitous transfer. Would you have a reliable link to understand how to get and file a new deed? I have the waiver of ROFR from DVC fully signed. It appears that my next step is to actually change the deed, but I'm not sure whether this is something I can do as an average person? Does it need to be filed by a lawyer that has access to certain systems?

I don't mind reading and learning the next steps, I'm mainly concerned about reading and learning the correct info- since some info on the web may be outdated. Thank you very much for your time.
You need a FL quit claim deed template. You can look at other deeds including your current deed to get the legal wording. Put all names basically as if selling from the current owners to the new owners even though some of the names will be the same. Then you need 2 witnesses AND a notary. Record it through OC assuming it's WDW. If it's elsewhere the process may be different. I'm not where I can look for it right now but the basics used to be on the OC website.

I am in the process of adding my 2 adult children to the Deed right now. I am using First American Title (hope I can say that here) as Member Services recommended that company. It cost $550 and to me it is worth the money. They make it very easy. They emailed me the paperwork last Thursday. I have gotten everything signed & notarized that I needed to and tomorrow I will be mailing the completed paperwork back to them. TA-DA! My part is finished!

Would you have a reliable link to understand how to get and file a new deed? I have the waiver of ROFR from DVC fully signed. It appears that my next step is to actually change the deed, but I'm not sure whether this is something I can do as an average person?

After over two years of reading dean’s posts, and already on the hook to LTTransfer (it’ll be just over $200 as it seems they’ve raised rates a little), I realize that just going from our own deed woks have been fine. Change the name and we’d have been good. I tortured myself before having that realization. And again it’s too late as they’ve done the work and deserve to be paid (now that the nearly-ex finally got to a notary near work with coworkers tagging along).

Definitely look at Dean’s past posts. And the ones here. Together they add up to good info.

I am in the process of adding my 2 adult children to the Deed right now. I am using First American Title (hope I can say that here) as Member Services recommended that company. It cost $550 and to me it is worth the money. They make it very easy. They emailed me the paperwork last Thursday. I have gotten everything signed & notarized that I needed to and tomorrow I will be mailing the completed paperwork back to them. TA-DA! My part is finished!

This is what we did! It was fantastic and super simple. We removed my mom and added me and my brother all in the same swoop. $475 for the first contract and $50 for the second. Just waiting on the paperwork and we'll be good to go!

Dean and DISers,

Thank you for the kind words. We went through First American Title as DaisyDuck did and it was smooth. $525 for all the steps to be completed by them...I'm ok with that.

Thank you for this thread! We are looking to set up a living trust to avoid probate should we die... knowing LT transfer is very helpful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter