Title Chosen: World of Friendship! October 2017 Girls Getaway: Aloha to the Poly/ MCO Hyatt p33-4

That’s a shame about the lack of service and taste at Skippers
I love the interior but to be honest the menu didn’t appeal to me
That’s a great idea about bringing your own container

I'm sorry it wasn't the best meal! That's so smart of you to carry your own tupperware!

It wasn't horrible, but I was very disappointed that the waiter seemed to ignore me.

I often get compliments from people at the restaurants when I use my containers.

:goodvibes

I have used Bonine for DECADES because it does not make me sleepy. Sometimes if I take too much or haven't eaten enough it can leave me feeling a little woozy but not enough to affect my day.

Thank you so much for providing your experience with Bonine.

:thumbsup2

That’s a shame about the lack of service and taste at Skippers
I love the interior but to be honest the menu didn’t appeal to me
That’s a great idea about bringing your own container

The restaurant had some interesting touches, although I didn't explore too much.

To paraphrase my favorite ninja:

"Take a container or scarf the remainder"

:rotfl2:

A “Few” More Pictures

It was a gorgeous afternoon, I had a few more minutes before I absolutely needed to return to the Poly, so I spent some time taking pictures around the Hub area, on Main Street and up on the second level of the train station.

DSCF3357.jpg

DSCF3359.jpg

DSCF3363.jpg

DSCF3368.jpg

Party guest were starting to come in- this is an adorable Peter Pan family

DSCF3365.jpg

This is probably my favorite vantage point for taking pictures in the Magic Kingdom.

Why so many of the same shot? Some are with my point & shoot, some are with the big girl camera and some are with my phone

DSCF3371.jpg

P&S

DSCF3372.jpg

P&S

IMG_2112.jpg

phone

IMG_8951.jpg

Canon

IMG_8952.jpg

Canon

IMG_8955.jpg

Canon

IMG_8953.jpg

Canon

IMG_2115.jpg

phone

Then it was time to exit for reals :(

IMG_8956.jpg

Canon

IMG_8957.jpg

Canon

Here are the final picture I took at the MK as I headed to the resort boat dock

IMG_8958.jpg

Next Up: Aloha to the Poly

So many lovely pics! My mom and I love going up to the train station, it's such a magical view watching all the people go by and staring at the castle!

Finally all caught up on your trip report :)
Great photos and Skippers Canteen looks awesome so it’s a shame that the food and service didn’t measure up :(
You salad looked huge though so good for you on having a way of saving some for later. Restaurants here don’t usually offer to box your leftovers the way they do in the US though they are more than happy to if asked in most cases. Our portion sizes tend to be a lot smaller than those in the US though so there isn’t usually the same need but I like that you bring your own container. I always brought Tupperware to box my kids leftover fruits so they could snack later.
You got some great photos with your various cameras from the hub. You really managed to eek out every last moment of park time didn’t you! Well done :)

Beautiful shots of the MK. I've actually never been up on the second floor of the train station yet, but it looks like it provides a gorgeous view.

lunch at Bongos.

Too bad you didn't make it. Sounded interesting.

I saw the sign that said there was no bus directly to Disney Springs until 4 pm.

Why is that? They just don't want people there, or something??? :confused3

I texted Mark “No bus to DS until 4 pm, I’m headed to MK!”

Woot!

About the only thing that was available that interested me was The Little Mermaid.

I'm interested in the little mermaid too.

I walked through the gates, elated to have a couple of bonus hours to eat, ride and take pictures at my happy place.

Nice shot. :)

On my way back, I took a few minutes to get some decorating advice at Gaston’s Pub

Understated and refined are the words you're looking for.

Lovely castle off in the distance

;)

I hope she got her wish!

Of course she did. It's Disney.

Here’s a quickie tour of the restaurant

I do like the look of the restaurant.

This guy does not seem to be happy about me taking a picture!!!

Too bad. Public space.

I tried to joke around with the waiter a bit- I am the queen of puns and the restaurant is known for its Jungle-cruise-themed corny vibe- but the waiter was having none of that.

Too bad. I've had good luck there, myself.

the only thing I knew for sure that I wanted was the coconut bar dessert.

Nooooo!

I had a lot of trouble choosing what to order. I decided to try Ginger's "Croc" of Hot and Sour soup and the noodle salad. Although I had already ordered a cold drink, when I saw the description of the Schweitzer Slush, I had to try that. I’m a sucker for passionfruit!

I had both of those.
(But not your main.)

It took a very long time for my order to be delivered, and when it was, the special drink I had ordered did not arrive. I mentioned it to the waiter but the drink was not delivered to me until I was almost finished with my meal.

Well.... that sucks.

The noodle salad was beautifully presented, but to be honest, it did not have a lot of flavor.

Flavour first! Pass.

Ginger's "Croc" of Hot and Sour soup, on the other hand, was uncomfortably spicy.

I didn't find it too spicy, although it was spicy enough to make my eyes water a bit. But then again, I expect that, so.... YMMV.

Must have gotten lost in the jungle!

Ah. Of course. That's it.

I was almost too full to order the coconut bar,

Yay!

but since this was the real reason I wanted to eat there, I couldn’t pass it up.

Boo!

I had this container in my backpack and was able to pack up my leftovers for later. When I go to restaurants at home, I use my own takeout containers so that I don’t need to use Styrofoam or other single-use boxes to bring home any leftovers. It is a habit I am very proud of.

Huh. Not a bad idea. I usually don't have left-overs or am staying on site with no microwave or fridge or both.

Overall, I was underwhelmed by the meal. The food was fine- not bad, but not outstanding by any means. I was very disappointed by the service. Maybe it was because I was dining alone, but that should not have been a factor in the attention I received. I have dined solo at other Disney restaurants – Kouzina and Spice Road Table and my interactions with the staff were excellent.

I would maybe come back to eat here with a group, but Skipper’s Canteen did not earn a place on my must-dine list.

Pretty much my assessment. It was fun (yours less so) for a bit, but the food was just okay.

Just back from a 6 day trip to Washington DC, with a day trip to Gettysburg. Our primary reason for the trip was looking at colleges for my youngest son Ben. Secondary reason was getting Ben's senior class pictures taken. I made the mistake of asking him what he wanted for a background for his yearbook photos/where he wanted them taken (at the beach, at the farm...). He said "Washington". Fortunately, we happen to know an EXCELLENT photographer (and DISer) from the area.

I'll post a few pictures and comments from the trip after I get caught up here with responses and another update.

Colleges? I know I've only been following along on your TR for a few years, but it still surprised me that your youngest is already at the college touring stage. Man, time seems to be flying by.
Can't wait to see the photos!

Oh my goodness how grown up Ben has become! Great photo of you 3. Gotta agree with Ben - Washington is a pretty amazing backdrop for photos :goodvibes

So many lovely pics! My mom and I love going up to the train station, it's such a magical view watching all the people go by and staring at the castle!

Nothing better than going up there and looking down upon your "kingdom"

princess:

One great thing about staying at the Poly is that you can stay in MK until the very last minute before you have to head for Magic Depress.

I really enjoyed my last few moments in MK. It was nice knowing the Poly was just a short boat journey away.

:boat:

All your beautiful pictures put me in the Disney mood this afternoon!! :lovestruc

Glad I could help!

:mickeyjum

Finally all caught up on your trip report :)
Great photos and Skippers Canteen looks awesome so it’s a shame that the food and service didn’t measure up :(
You salad looked huge though so good for you on having a way of saving some for later. Restaurants here don’t usually offer to box your leftovers the way they do in the US though they are more than happy to if asked in most cases. Our portion sizes tend to be a lot smaller than those in the US though so there isn’t usually the same need but I like that you bring your own container. I always brought Tupperware to box my kids leftover fruits so they could snack later.
You got some great photos with your various cameras from the hub. You really managed to eek out every last moment of park time didn’t you! Well done :)

Skippers wasn't horrible, but it could have been a much better experience.

I have noticed portions in the US are huge. I tend to be a plate clearer, but now I go into a meal with the goal of setting aside a part of meal to enjoy later.

When I am at others at the parks, it seems like I am always a step or two behind trying to take pictures and then catch up. It was nice being able to take some pictures at my own pace.

Beautiful shots of the MK. I've actually never been up on the second floor of the train station yet, but it looks like it provides a gorgeous view.

It is really fantastic up there! Sometimes the sun can mess with pictures, especially if you are trying to take selfies into the glare.

::yes::

It's hard to take a bad picture in MK
I love the view from the train station

So many beautiful things to photograph!

The train station offers such a great vantage point of the Magic Kingdom!

:woohoo:

Too bad you didn't make it. Sounded interesting.

I do hope to try Bongos sometime in the future. I know I will get the opportunity if I travel with Nannette again in the future.

Why is that? They just don't want people there, or something??? :confused3

I have no idea why the buses don't run directly to Disney Springs during the day. Maybe they want people staying at the parks and spend money, and then at night, encourage guests to visit DS, eat at the expensive restaurants and spend money.

Woot! indeed.

I'm interested in the little mermaid too.

I suspect we have different interests.

Nice shot. :)

Thank you. This is probably one of my favorite solo pictures of me.

Understated and refined are the words you're looking for.

Unfortunately, I fear after my son's summer in Wyoming, we may be finding he has Gaston-style decorating tastes.

Too bad. Public space.

I do like the look of the restaurant.
Pretty much my assessment. It was fun (yours less so) for a bit, but the food was just okay.

Skippers has great theming going for it. The menu is intriguing- there is a lot of things I would like to try. But this experience did not blow me away.

:sad2:

What a cool place for Senior Pictures! Can't wait to see more!

Thanks!

It will definitely be a unique picture for his yearbook.

Colleges? I know I've only been following along on your TR for a few years, but it still surprised me that your youngest is already at the college touring stage. Man, time seems to be flying by.
Can't wait to see the photos!

I know!

I fear I am going to be going through the next year with a large lump in my throat.

Ben pointed out to my husband accurately that it will be tougher than when Nate started college since he is less than an hour from home, and Ben was still home.

:sad1:

Oh my goodness how grown up Ben has become! Great photo of you 3. Gotta agree with Ben - Washington is a pretty amazing backdrop for photos :goodvibes

Crazy, isn't it!

Ben loved having his pictures taken here, especially with the Washington Monument and US Capitol in the background.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter