Title Chosen: World of Friendship! October 2017 Girls Getaway: Aloha to the Poly/ MCO Hyatt p33-4

Ooh I'm glad you got to go back to the Lion King show! It's so excellent!

The details in Pandora are really impressive! Sounds like the first part of your day in AK was pretty successful! Curious to see where you were headed for dinner that night...

I love the songs and the amazingly talented performers in Festival of the Lion King. There is such a wide range of entertainment- singing, gymnastics, fire twirling and giant floats.

We had a great time in AK.

:cheer2:

Love the Lion King movie so much I was very pregnant with Kathy when it first came out in theaters
To her it’s her first Disney movie :goodvibes
We always have to see the show every trip
The music and the performers are just magical
Your lunch at Harambe looks really good
Looking forward to exploring Pandora more on our upcoming trip
I know we missed so much being focused on FOP

It was great to see the Lion King show again. I took the boys on our first trip (2004, they were 6 and 3) and then I made it a condition of our 2009 trip, but I don't think I had seen the show since then.

The food I had at Harambe was really good- not your typical burgers/chicken nuggets there.

I can see spending lots of time exploring Pandora.

::yes::

One does not get much of an opportunity to use the term "craptastic" but I thought it was perfect in this situation!

:rotfl2:

Sounds like a nice lunch stop!

Glad you could see FotLK after so long! And you're right, a great soundtrack! You got some great pics at the show, as well as on your way out of the park!

Lunch was yummy!

When I am solo, it is a great opportunity to take my time taking pictures.

:thumbsup2

What a fun afternoon at AK. It is quickly becoming my favorite park! <3

AK has been my least favorite park, but with all of the new things to see on this trip- Pandora, Rivers of Light, Tree of Life Awakening- I ended up going there every day of the trip except for my arrival day.

:goodvibes

We visited with my dad and took him to lunch today- his 85th birthday is tomorrow.

Happy birthday to him! Quite the milestone. :)

Dad's moving day is Friday.

Hope that goes well for everyone. Especially your dad.

It shouldn't be too bad- his current space is a studio and is pretty small, so the only big things are his bedframe/mattress/box spring and the work table for his computer and a rolling chair.

Not bad at all.
I shudder to think of all the work we'll have when my folks move or pass.

His house is only about a mile from the new place- there are a few things we will get from there for his new apartment.

Will you be selling the house? Or renting it out? Or?

Good news! They were back together when we saw them for dinner!

Hooray!

I don't remember Janet raving about the corndog.

I know I didn't. What's the opposite of raving? Decrying? Denouncing?

Thanks! I love photographing birds. My dad's a bird guy, has done a lot of volunteering with avian organizations. My son Nate worked at an Audubon center this past summer and is taking an ornithology class this semester. Lots of bird talk when we get together!

Birds are wonderful to photograph. I've done.... practically none. But I'd like to.

It must have been so fun for the imagineers to design this land. My friend Rebecca's son was interning with Disney and he worked on some of the project.

No way! That's cool!

Love all your FotLK photos! That's such a great show; I try to see it every time I'm in AK.

That gyro flatbread did seem like it was the perfect sharing size. Generous portions!

I’m glad that you went back to Pandora to explore it more closely. We had spent a lot of time there during the pass holders preview in May. It is one of those places where you can always find something new to look at. :)

Happy birthday to him! Quite the milestone. :)

Hope that goes well for everyone. Especially your dad.

Not bad at all.
I shudder to think of all the work we'll have when my folks move or pass.

Will you be selling the house? Or renting it out? Or?

Thanks for the nice birthday wishes. I'm lucky to have him around.

We have started moving a few things in. Over the weekend, I found a coffee maker he wanted on a local yard sale site for $5. :woohoo:

As I was carrying it in to the apartment today- I dropped it. :(

UGH! The house! The good news is: we don't need to sell it for financial purposes. The bad news: the house is a wreck! Has not been properly cared for and 30 years of some big league hoarding. My brother and I have our hands full. My brother may eventually move in if we can get it into decent shape. Shudder, indeed!

:eek:

No way! That's cool!

Thought of Rebecca a lot while we were in Pandora, and on the elephant tour (her son had done a preview of that) and really, all through the trip.

:hug:

irds are wonderful to photograph. I've done.... practically none. But I'd like to.

This past year I was practicing photographing birds in anticipation of all of the eagles we would see in Alaska. Fortunately I live in an area where there are lots of opportunities to take pictures of birds.

These are some of my favorites

Owl in a tree in a local park

This owl was hanging out for a few days at the farm where I work:

These were also taken at work:

These were taken at or on the way to the Audubon center where my son interned this summer- the eagle is from last week when I had to drop off something there

I am hoping to go out and find some of the snowy owls that have been seen in our area this winter.
:thumbsup2

Unfortunately, most of my eagle pictures in Alaska were a bust.

Last edited:
Love all your FotLK photos! That's such a great show; I try to see it every time I'm in AK.

That gyro flatbread did seem like it was the perfect sharing size. Generous portions!

I really enjoyed the show!

Yes, the flatbread was plenty to share. ~Ninja and I did that a lot on the trip. Which allowed for lots of sampling.

I hope your Dad's move goes smoothly. I'm sorry the first place didn't work out.

Thank you so much.

Should be interesting. As we were moving a few things in today, he met one his neighbors. When we went down to talk to the apartment manager, she said other residents were asking when he was moving in. She told them that my dad had a great sense of humor and was truly hilarious. She said the women have already started fighting over him and one has promised to bring him an apple pie. I didn't know it was "that" kind of place.

Sheesh!

I’m glad that you went back to Pandora to explore it more closely. We had spent a lot of time there during the pass holders preview in May. It is one of those places where you can always find something new to look at. :)

This was a quick walk-through after The Lion King, but I would be back to Animal Kingdom, and Pandora, again on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

UGH! The house! The good news is: we don't need to sell it for financial purposes. The bad news: the house is a wreck! Has not been properly cared for and 30 years of some big league hoarding. My brother and I have our hands full. My brother may eventually move in if we can get it into decent shape. Shudder, indeed!
That sounds like a huge job! We had a situation where both my mom and my mother-in-law passed away within three months of each other. We had two houses to clean out and sell. Luckily, the adult grandchildren were at the perfect point in their lives to take a lot of furniture and other household items.

This owl was hanging out for a few days at the farm where I work:
I love your bird pictures. It must have been hard to see that owl in the first place. He is so well camouflaged.

That sounds like a huge job! We had a situation where both my mom and my mother-in-law passed away within three months of each other. We had two houses to clean out and sell. Luckily, the adult grandchildren were at the perfect point in their lives to take a lot of furniture and other household items.

It is not going to be fun!

I think everything my parents owned from the time they moved into the house in 1963 is still there. I have a vintage blender and mixer (which both work, but are not in great shape), 50 years of National Geographic magazine, many still in the plastic they arrived in and 3 (or 4) sets of encyclopedias, including the ones I grew up reading AND a set that belonged to MY grandfather- yeah, that one should have important information!

:faint:

I love your bird pictures. It must have been hard to see that owl in the first place. He is so well camouflaged.

Thanks!

That first, small owl has gotten a bit of publicity. It is in a very public place and was frequently in that hole. Since we knew where to look, he/she was easy to spot. It is living in a dead tree, the ones around it have been cut down, but this one was saved because of the owl living there.

The second owl was spotted by kids on a tractor ride through our farm. One day after work last June, I think, I was able to snap several pictures. The next day it was gone and I haven't seen it back, but I look whenever I am at the farm.

:magnify:

We have started moving a few things in. Over the weekend, I found a coffee maker he wanted on a local yard sale site for $5. :woohoo:

As I was carrying it in to the apartment today- I dropped it. :(

Oh for Pete's sake! Well, that's annoying.

I feel your pain. My parents still live in the same house that they've been in for over 50 years. When they bought it, it was a small bungalow with a detached garage and "summer house" (addition connected to the garage they used for storage)
Since then, my dad filled the garage with construction material. My mom squawked so he built an attached garage for her car. And a storage area beside the detached garage... and a large shed in the back yard... and a second story. Most of those spaces are full of Dad's stuff.

This past year I was practicing photographing birds in anticipation of all of the eagles we would see in Alaska. Fortunately I live in an area where there are lots of opportunities to take pictures of birds.

These are some of my favorites
All the photos are really good!
A couple comments:

What exactly did you do to piss off this owl?

Nice in-flight capture!

I am hoping to go out and find some of the snowy owls that have been seen in our area this winter.

Nice!!! I'd love to shoot some of those. Only seen them at the zoo.

Unfortunately, most of my eagle pictures in Alaska were a bust.

:( Aw, poop.

I think I heard that name also from Andy? (@afwdwfan) and I've latched onto it since then! And yes, I'm not an expert or anything either, but Pandora is a moon of a gas-giant-type planet from what I understand.

Oh, maybe it was Andy. Did I fail in giving credit where credit is due??? :blush:

ETA: Yup- Thanks for setting me straight! That was the title of one of Andy's chapters! Now it is going to look like I am trying to lure pkondz here under false pretenses!

Hi pkondz!

:wave2:

I am also fond of "It's A Small Mexico" or "Slow Boat to Mexico" for the ride in the pyramid. Who gets credit for that one?

:scratchin
Well, I saw that I had some mentions here. Almost a month ago. :faint: Thought I should at least address my being called out while I have a moment here.

Yes, I have a tendency to call slow boat rides something that starts with "It's a Small..." I'll take credit for It's a Small Moon" and "It's a Small Mexico." I can't be 100% sure nobody called one of them by that name before I did, but if so, I was not aware of it.

I think the "Slow Boat" reference is one that Kathy (KatMark) came up with.

Oh for Pete's sake! Well, that's annoying.

Yes, I was so excited about the great bargain and then I broke the coffee maker. My coffee addiction is hereditary, so I'll have to get him a replacement as soon as possible. The move went pretty well, but my brother dropped and broke a wooden file cabinet so we are 1-1.

I feel your pain. My parents still live in the same house that they've been in for over 50 years. When they bought it, it was a small bungalow with a detached garage and "summer house" (addition connected to the garage they used for storage)
Since then, my dad filled the garage with construction material. My mom squawked so he built an attached garage for her car. And a storage area beside the detached garage... and a large shed in the back yard... and a second story. Most of those spaces are full of Dad's stuff.

:headache: :hug:

When I finally fell asleep after the big loss last night (football game, not This is Us), I actually had a dream last night that I was at the house, and a nice couple stopped by and asked about purchasing it, warts and all.

All the photos are really good!
A couple comments:

Thank you!!!

What exactly did you do to piss off this owl?

Whoooooo, me?

Nice in-flight capture!

Thank you. Right place, right time.

Nice!!! I'd love to shoot some of those. Only seen them at the zoo.

Yeah, the problem with snowy owls is the snow thing. :cold:

:( Aw, poop.

I know! I was told that eagles were so plentiful in Alaska that the locals consider them like pigeons in the city.

And speaking of (bird) poop, did you know that birds are physically unable to pee?

Well, I saw that I had some mentions here. Almost a month ago. :faint: Thought I should at least address my being called out while I have a moment here.

Yes, I have a tendency to call slow boat rides something that starts with "It's a Small..." I'll take credit for It's a Small Moon" and "It's a Small Mexico." I can't be 100% sure nobody called one of them by that name before I did, but if so, I was not aware of it.

I think the "Slow Boat" reference is one that Kathy (KatMark) came up with.

Not a problem. We are here when you are able to check in. Just trying to give credit where credit is due!

EPCOT Solo- Speed, Sweet, Spaceship

After a pretty action-packed morning at Animal Kingdom- meeting Mickey & Minnie, Everest, Pandora/Na’vi River Journey, Walking With Giants Elephant Tour, Lunch and Festival of the Lion King- PHEW, it was time to say “See You Later, Alligator” and proceed to EPCOT.

The other gals were back at the resort and Disney Springs and we were meeting up in Italy at 5 for dinner. Until then, I was solo, baby!

So naturally, my first stop was the Test Track single rider line, since we didn’t have plans to ride this during the week.

IMG_8530.jpg

DSCF9671.jpg

DSCF9672.jpg

DSCF9673.jpg

DSCF9674.jpg

DSCF9675.jpg

DSCF9676.jpg

DSCF9677.jpg

DSCF9678.jpg

DSCF9680.jpg

I don’t know anyone in this picture, but check out the girl’s hair in this!

Not that I have the right to judge.

After the ride, I spent a few minutes near the exit trying to get a picture when the car comes into view for a brief moment on the track.

I am happy with these two shots. It took significantly more snaps than this!

VROOOM! :car:

The monorail passed by, and I took pictures, because I think it’s an EPCOT law.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Continued from Previous Post

After Test Track, I went over to the nearby Food & Wine Festival Center so I could look at the chocolate art- and maybe score some Ghiradelli chocolate pieces.

These sculptures are incredible! It is hard to believe that they are made out of chocolate.

IMG_8531.jpg

IMG_8532.jpg

IMG_8533.jpg

IMG_8548.jpg

IMG_8549.jpg

IMG_8551.jpg

Third time I am seeing Pandora today:

IMG_8536.jpg

You can even eat the dishes!

IMG_8539.jpg

IMG_8540.jpg

IMG_8538.jpg

IMG_8541.jpg

IMG_8545.jpg

IMG_8546.jpg

Incredible:

IMG_8554.jpg

IMG_8555.jpg

Hey, what happens to these when the festival is over?!?

On my way out, I was given a caramel-filled square of chocolate. YUM!

I still had time for one more thing before I needed to make my way to Italy, so I went back to the front to Spaceship Earth.

I was alone in my car and snapped pictures as I often do. They are not masterpieces but better than I usually end up with.

IMG_8562.jpg

IMG_8573.jpg

IMG_8574.jpg

IMG_8576.jpg

I walked towards the World Showcase and came to a “fork” in the road.

IMG_8581.jpg

Which way should I go?

Next Up: The Gang of 8 Ciao Down

Yep! You see a monorail? You take a picture of the monorail!

The rest of this is beautiful, but Belle's face kinda rubs me the wrong way... :scared:

h1Vmhg7.gif

Which way should I go?

Hmm...I almost always go counterclockwise for some reason. Maybe because I'm Canadian and drawn to Canada?

Yes, I was so excited about the great bargain and then I broke the coffee maker.

well... poop.

I'll have more to say on that subject in a sec.

My coffee addiction is hereditary, so I'll have to get him a replacement as soon as possible. The move went pretty well, but my brother dropped and broke a wooden file cabinet so we are 1-1.

D'oh!

I suppose better a broken file cabinet than a broken hip.

When I finally fell asleep after the big loss last night (football game, not This is Us), I actually had a dream last night that I was at the house, and a nice couple stopped by and asked about purchasing it, warts and all.

Did you sell it in your dream?

Whoooooo, me?

:laughing:

Yeah, the problem with snowy owls is the snow thing. :cold:

Well... I don't mind that, but.... still never seen one.

I know! I was told that eagles were so plentiful in Alaska that the locals consider them like pigeons in the city.

Really!

And speaking of (bird) poop, did you know that birds are physically unable to pee?

Well.... poop.
I had it backwards. I thought their "poop" was actually a form of urine, and they didn't poop.

Ah well. I stand corrected. I sit to poop.

After a pretty action-packed morning at Animal Kingdom- meeting Mickey & Minnie, Everest, Pandora/Na’vi River Journey, Walking With Giants Elephant Tour, Lunch and Festival of the Lion King- PHEW, it was time to say “See You Later, Alligator” and proceed to EPCOT.

:faint: After all that you still had energy left???

So naturally, my first stop was the Test Track single rider line, since we didn’t have plans to ride this during the week.

Cool shot!

I don’t know anyone in this picture, but check out the girl’s hair in this!

:laughing: Treatment for dry flyaway hair...

Not that I have the right to judge.

:rolleyes1

It is. I saw a guy kicked out once for not taking a photo.

After Test Track, I went over to the nearby Food & Wine Festival Center so I could look at the chocolate art

Cool!

and maybe score some Ghiradelli chocolate pieces.

Well..... yeah.

You can even eat the dishes!

I thought it was "ask" the dishes?
I've been misinformed.

nom nom nom.... urp... uh.....

On my way out, I was given a caramel-filled square of chocolate. YUM!

Yusssssss....

Which way should I go?

Towards the end with the pointy parts. That's where the food is.

Test Track single rider was a good pick!

Those chocolate creations are amazing. That panda bear one had so much detail to it!
And, yes, I definitely laughed at your Beauty and the Beast joke. :rotfl2::rotfl:

Test Track is always fun! LOL at that girl's hair!

Love those chocolate sculptures. They look incredible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter