Tips

CAL2

DIS Veteran
Hi what is the norm for tips in DLP, do you tip servers, mousekeeping, porters & concierge ?

No need to tip anywhere, service is included in the charges. If you really want you can tip the waiter a few euros, but not 20%. Never tipped mousekeeping.

Yes tipping isn’t as „crazy“ in Europe as in the US...
„Normally“ you tip a little and round up to a whole euro... if you liked the service you can go up to 10-12%... we usually tip between 8-11% depending on the „amount“ of tip and next „suitable whole number“...

At table service I usually round up, for example if the bill is €14.70 I would give €17.00 Its basically to acknowledge that the server went above and beyond their normal job description, for example if they made an effort to interact with kids, helped with food allergies, made a food or drink suggestion, or something about the parks or Disney etc etc.

Frequently I leave NO tip, its optional , not a requirement! I have NEVER tipped mousekeeping!

Service jobs such as servers, mousekeeping, bell hop, luggage porter, room service, concierge tour guides, bus drivers, taxi drivers etc etc get a proper minimum / living wage in Europe. They do not rely on tips to make up their wages / pay their rent / pay their health insurance etc. You do not need to tip ANY of these!

For example in Europe you will NEVER be chased by a restaurant server who demands a bigger tip. You will NEVER be chastised by a taxi driver and pressurised to give a tip. In hotels, your room will be cleaned to hotel policy and standards without you having to bribe the housekeeping staff with tips.

At table service I usually round up, for example if the bill is €14.70 I would give €17.00 Its basically to acknowledge that the server went above and beyond their normal job description, for example if they made an effort to interact with kids, helped with food allergies, made a food or drink suggestion, or something about the parks or Disney etc etc.

Frequently I leave NO tip, its optional , not a requirement! I have NEVER tipped mousekeeping!

Service jobs such as servers, mousekeeping, bell hop, luggage porter, room service, concierge tour guides, bus drivers, taxi drivers etc etc get a proper minimum / living wage in Europe. They do not rely on tips to make up their wages / pay their rent / pay their health insurance etc. You do not need to tip ANY of these!

For example in Europe you will NEVER be chased by a restaurant server who demands a bigger tip. You will NEVER be chastised by a taxi driver and pressurised to give a tip. In hotels, your room will be cleaned to hotel policy and standards without you having to bribe the housekeeping staff with tips.

So what countries have you had to bribe housekeeping with tips and had servers chase you?

So what countries have you had to bribe housekeeping with tips and had servers chase you?

I had it in New York where the waitress told me I didn't tip enough. She barred me from leaving. First time in New York and too young and not assertive enough to shove her aside.

I had it in New York where the waitress told me I didn't tip enough. She barred me from leaving. First time in New York and too young and not assertive enough to shove her aside.

Wow, that’s crazy. I’m sorry that happened to you. That’s not ok. I wish you would have called the police on her, that’s technically illegal for her to block your exit.

America, not personally happened to me, but I dont tip house keeping as they are being paid to do a job. In New York I didnt tip taxi drivers and was glared at, dont care, same with servers, depends on my mood whether I tip or not. I know better now, if a server dares to block my way, chase me or whatever cos of tipping, well then, they will be told swiftly where to go.

If someone is being paid to do a job, then they should not expect tips just for doing said job!

I have to stand up for America here. When we are on this board, people often take offense to what I'd characterize as very innocent comments about the differences between DLP and the US parks. For instance, how the CMs at DLP are not as friendly as the CMs we are used to at US parks and they are often reminded that it is a different culture and there are different expectations.

I'd say that the same goes for tipping in the US. People in waiting jobs, bellhops, taxi drivers, etc. in the US DO rely on their tips to make their rent, pay health care, etc. And if they received a livable wage, well, the prices for those services would be substantially higher than they are.

Now, I'm not saying that anyone should be barred from leaving for not tipping (that is illegal) or that their room should not be cleaned, etc. But I'm saying that when you are in the US, you should be tipping people in these jobs, barring terrible service. And the custom for wait staff is 15 - 20% of the bill. That is our culture expectation and you should adhere to it (particularly if you expect tourists in your country to adhere to your customs).

Now said:
100% agree with this. In certain states, tipped employees are at times paid below standard minimum wage, as it is assumed a substantial amount of their income is from tips. They are not salary. Cultural expectations should be taken into consideration.

Good to know service tips are included in DLP.

I have to stand up for America here. When we are on this board, people often take offense to what I'd characterize as very innocent comments about the differences between DLP and the US parks. For instance, how the CMs at DLP are not as friendly as the CMs we are used to at US parks and they are often reminded that it is a different culture and there are different expectations.

I'd say that the same goes for tipping in the US. People in waiting jobs, bellhops, taxi drivers, etc. in the US DO rely on their tips to make their rent, pay health care, etc. And if they received a livable wage, well, the prices for those services would be substantially higher than they are.

Now, I'm not saying that anyone should be barred from leaving for not tipping (that is illegal) or that their room should not be cleaned, etc. But I'm saying that when you are in the US, you should be tipping people in these jobs, barring terrible service. And the custom for wait staff is 15 - 20% of the bill. That is our culture expectation and you should adhere to it (particularly if you expect tourists in your country to adhere to your customs).
I agree to this. When I'm in the US visiting, I respect the culture of tipping.

I agree to this. When I'm in the US visiting, I respect the culture of tipping.

I budget it in, I do not like it as it continues to keep a system alive that's not right (in my opinion) and I do not tip 20% unless service is exceptional, normally I tip as I would in Europe.

Back to DLP, will it be appreciated? Yes, of course. Is it as obligatory in the US, no? Just round it off to a full euro, no need for exact calculations to make sure you do not tip less than the norm as there is no norm.

So... true story: where I live (hint: democratic country in the middle east), I had waiters chase me... twice... lol :)

Also, bribing housekeeping won't work around here, total waste of money :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!