Tips on surviving a really long day at Magic Kingdom

mreynoldsDisney

Earning My Ears
We will be staying at Animal Kingdom and going to Magic Kingdom the day of our daughters 7th b-day.
Wife wanted to do it all that day so we have a really long day planned and worried about that.

Looking for any advise on how you would handle this schedule ; or should I say help a 6 or 7 year old handle this schedule.
8:15 reservation for Breakfast at Be Our Guest
want to take picture in front of castle either prior or immediately after still before park opens.
9 AM park opens
9:25 FP: Seven Dwarf's Mine Train
10:30 FP: Peter Pans Flight
11:30 FP: Tales with Belle

2:20 Appointment for Daughter at Bibbity Boutique
5:40 Cinderellas Royal Table for Dinner
Package includes Firework Celebration in west plaza garden priority viewing area
After fireworks Dessert Party at tomorrow land terrace (not sure how late this is but imagine it will be quite late)

We will go back to Magic Kingdom a couple of days later so figure we can leave the Frontierland area and rides for that day.
The second day we will be at MK we cannot stay for the fireworks.
Staying at Animal Kingdom does not work well for heading back mid day to rest.

No way my daughter would have handled that full of a day at age 7 - heck she wouldn't even want to do it today at 16. We've done MK in one day from pre-opening breakfast to fireworks but always with a mid day or dinner break to nap for an hour or so and change clothes/freshen up. My best advice is not to try to do it all.

Perhaps bring an umbrella stroller for her to ride/rest in later in the day. You all might appreciate having it.

Yeah, that is a good idea. Would not have thought to bring that with us this trip but given how long the day is, a stroller may really help!!!
Might even opt for the larger wheeled city stroller ; seems more useful at the park with storage space for us, feel a little better about it being gate checked without damage at the airports too ; if we are going to bring a stroller anyway.

This is a tough one :)

I am not sure when you are going, so the weather can be a game changer. Hopefully it's not super hot. That will zap your energy out.

We always take a mid-day break, but I understand your schedule does not allow one. One tip for a mid day rest from AKL to MK, use a Minnie van (if your budget allows it). The Minnie van will pick you up at MK and drop off at AKL. We used this service a lot last trip.

If it's possible, maybe remove the 11:30 Tales with Belle and see if you can get into it another day. That way you could get a small break in.

Otherwise, I would try to relax in an umbrella stroller with a top on it. Take it slow, stop and relax as much as possible. Lots of water breaks and snacks to keep up energy.

No way my daughter would have handled that full of a day at age 7 - heck she wouldn't even want to do it today at 16. We've done MK in one day from pre-opening breakfast to fireworks but always with a mid day or dinner break to nap for an hour or so and change clothes/freshen up. My best advice is not to try to do it all.

Kind of committed at this point.
Really only alternative is to leave at 10 AM or so ; skip Belle's FP and take a nap ; as long as we can make it back for the BBB for 2:40 PM ; if we were staying at a closer resort I would say that is a good plan but with AKL I am not sure it makes sense.

We don't have to stay for the dessert after party but is already paid for, so kind of feel like we should.

My advise it to take breaks in the shows. I like Hall of Presidents for this. It is long and for little ones a great place to nap. I might have fallen asleep once or twice too. If she would use a stroller that would be nice too. It would give her a place to rest her legs and maybe even a nap. DD did this but she was 4.

My advise it to take breaks in the shows. I like Hall of Presidents for this. It is long and for little ones a great place to nap. I might have fallen asleep once or twice too. If she would use a stroller that would be nice too. It would give her a place to rest her legs and maybe even a nap. DD did this but she was 4.

Thank you. Yeah, was thinking the same type of plan.
Since we are going back to the park another day, we could after some morning rides see the more relaxing shows to rest up mid-day and stay off our feet.

Our DD's would have no problem with that schedule, but we always had a stroller/sit-n-stand through that age and this made it SO much better for them and us. It only took us 3 tries of midday breaks to realize no body in the family liked doing it.

Our DD's would have no problem with that schedule, but we always had a stroller/sit-n-stand through that age and this made it SO much better for them and us. It only took us 3 tries of midday breaks to realize no body in the family liked doing it.

We are not nappers so I tend to think I would find the same.
The Minnie Van sounds like something that may be worth paying for that morning to get us to the park early but thinking the combo of the stroller and some shows where we may or may not dose through for parts is the best plan for us.

Will look into the Minnie Van service, had not heard of it before but both you and Heidi mention it!
Minnie Van's are accessible through the Lyft app. It is more expensive than a Lyft, but the benefit going to and from MK is that the Minnie van has it's own area where the buses are. Minnie vans are super quick and easy.

We had nothing but spectacular service, the CM drivers were amazing! I had a Lyft coupon and it worked on the Minnie Van too.

We also used Lyft as well for other parks and when going to and from resorts. We found it to be cheaper than taking a taxi. Taking regular Lyft/Uber/cab takes you to the TTC instead of the bus entrance to MK. I would only use a Minnie Van to travel to MK for this reason.

You could also walk to the Contemporary and take a regular Lyft/Uber/Cab from there, but as your pressed for time, this might not be a good option for your full MK day. It's a fun option on other days :)

We did a VERY long park day in January last year. 8am RD to dessert party. My daughter was 7 at the time. She had a full on meltdown in the afternoon and that's when I realized she simply had not eaten enough. She eats like a bird and when you're caught up in the day at the MK it can slip by you. When she kept declining every ride we knew something was up.

The problem was solved with a Mickey bar and a rest and then the Tiki Room. :) Now I ask her regularly if she needs a snack, drink or rest. We don't do a stroller. We never have.

Good luck!

Spring break 2015 I had an almost 7yr old boy and 2 almost 5yr old girls.

At MK we did PPO ADR at BOG and went until 5pm or so then called it a day when we were dead tired...but it was hot and humid (when are you going?)
Later in the week we just did an evening at MK to do a few FP+ rides and the projection/firework show.
This worked out well but I understand you do not have the time for that.

You already have Firework garden viewing with your dinner so you are getting the dessert party just for the desserts??? You can get much better desserts in the park for much less money.

If I may give a MK day plan suggestion...
Show up at 7:30am as you will be allowed into the park at 7:45am. As you head towards BOG get your picture infront of the castle but dont wait inline for a photographer until you hit the hub as there will be lines closer to the entrance.

Then even though your ADR is 8:15 still check in to the actual BOG restaurant as early as you can...also remember to preorder your breakfast. That will get you seated and your food ASAP. Even if you dont preorder your food you should be ok.

Then after breakfast walk over to Peter Pan so you can save that FP+ for something else. You could take a walk on the potentially crazy side and get into the 7DMT line from the BOG people who typically get a ride before the RD crowd but with little ones that was a little stressful for me with the herd of people speed walking my way.

Move your Belle FP+ to the PP time slot so you can be out of fantasy land when you are done here. Mix in the other fantasy land rides while you are waiting for your Bell FP+ to open.

If you like that then go from there. If you still like yours better then do that!

We always get to MK at 10 and stay till close. Or at least fireworks. Even with young kids. 5-3 their first visit. We never left. They did fine. Did some piggy back riding as the 5 year old was too old for a stroller. But all in all we always do full days and kids love it. Sleep all night

We always did almost-rope-drop (9am) until fireworks when my DD and nieces were young (like 5yo and up). Take a stroller so your DD can rest and for longer walking stretches. Pay attention to making sure she isn't hungry or thirsty in between meals. Take advantage of the shows (Hall of Presidents, Mickey's Philharmagic, Tiki Room, Laugh Floor, PeopleMover) as rest-breaks. TAKE rest breaks, do some people watching. The only thing I might change is that PPO breakfast at BOG. I know you want the pictures in front of the castle in the "empty" park, but it won't be empty; it'lll be full of the park-goers that they let onto Main St to help manage the rope drop crowd. Might make more sense to have a casual breakfast in your room at AKL for an easier start to the day.

ETA- And that appointment at BBB? Watch her feet if you get shoes with the outfit. They are amazing blister-makers, in our experience.

When my kids were 3 and 6, we were at New Year's Eve 1999 into 2000. We got to Epcot at 7:00am (so as not to get shut out ) and we stayed until midnight.

1) Rent/take a stroller even if they haven't been in one for years.
2) let them have "free play" time at any "play grounds" in the park, http://www.wdwradio.com/2017/01/mom...lay-areas-around-the-walt-disney-world-parks/ or let them lead the way in places like Tom Sawyer Island
3) Have sit down meals to be inside where it is cool/dry/warm and sitting
4) If they get cranky, make sure they are fed, hydrated
5) Have something to do to distract them in line.

You do have a bit of a break from around noon to 220p. You could do a few things that may reduce potential melt downs ( kid sized or adult sized :rotfl2: )
  • Go to Hall of Presidents or Carousel of Progress - these are longer shows in cool places that are dark. She ( or you ) may opt for a nap while there.
  • Grab some ice cream from the Plaza ( or a snack ) and take a time out on the grass near the hub.
  • Take a boat ride over to the Poly, Grand Floridian or Wilderness Lodge for a relaxing time out. If you take the boat back and forth it would be around 40 minutes total.
Only you'll be able to tell if she's holding up with the pace. If she's not, take short breaks. I do agree, the stroller can be a big help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter