Tips for Tom Sawyer Island?

Peony P.

Earning My Ears
We're thinking about taking our two-year-old onto WDW's Tom Sawyer Island in September. Will we need bug spray? Would it be too hot to explore in the afternoon? Any other tips for keeping a very adventurous kid safe and comfortable there?

We're thinking about taking our two-year-old onto WDW's Tom Sawyer Island in September. Will we need bug spray? Would it be too hot to explore in the afternoon? Any other tips for keeping a very adventurous kid safe and comfortable there?
Nice place for a relaxing meal to get away from possible overstimulation. Aunt Polly's refreshment stand hasn't been open for sometime so you can pack a picnic lunch or just grab some QS from the nearest you like it eatery. We opt for the salads and fresh fruits at nearby Liberty Sq. Market but choose what you like.

A lot of foliage and greenery, some running water, so I'm sure bug spray wouldn't hurt; we wear it wherever we are in the parks just to be on the safe side. Should you be staying on site the hotels offer repellent wipes so no need to bring your own.

There's a playground and picnic benches at the top of the hill and if you need to cool off take a wander through either the mine or Injun Joe's cave as both have a/c. Probably the mine is better for your age child since it's better lit. Should you opt for the cave instead you might want to use the flashlight on your smartphone.

We normally go soon after the island opens around 10:00 or 11:00 AM so I'll leave it to other posters to describe whether it's really hot later in the day.
I travel with children between the ages of 8 and 13 and we normally spend a good hour on the island between eating and exploring.

HTH and have fun.

A lot of foliage and greenery, some running water, so I'm sure bug spray wouldn't hurt; we wear it wherever we are in the parks just to be on the safe side. Should you be staying on site the hotels offer repellent wipes so no need to bring your own.

Thanks for your amazingly helpful response, NYCgrrl! I was curious, where at the resorts can you get the repellent wipes?

Thanks for your amazingly helpful response, NYCgrrl! I was curious, where at the resorts can you get the repellent wipes?
At one hotel we stayed at (Poly?) they were located in the room's closet on a shelf. At either the Contemporary or YC they were among the bathroom's toiletries. One day we just asked the housekeeping dept for them. The brand was always Sportsman 30% DEET wipes.

We usually visit in the late afternoon - heat of the day. It's much cooler than walking the pavement around the rest of the park, so I wouldn't worry about heat. Tons of shade, surrounded by water with a nice breeze. We bring a picnic and eat an early Supper at the chairs and tables set up by the closed 'Aunt Polly's.' The island closes before sunset, so keep this in mind!

At the end of one of the trails, there's a cabin with a covered porch, rocking chairs and checkers games. Nice spot to cool down. And this island has washrooms with no line up - a huge perk for families!!

It's just an awesome place to explore with kids. No real safety tips. If you stay with your child, you'll have no trouble.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter