~ Tips for spotting a scrapper pin ~

Girimama33

"I've disgraced the forces of evil."
I would love to hear tips people know that will help spot scrapper pins when trading with CM's or pin traders at DLR.

One helpful tip I heard pertains to the pins that have the Mickey pattern all over the back of the pin. The Mickey pattern is supposed to extend throughout the pin with no border at the edge.
I traded a pin (my first trade), where the Mickey pattern on the back had a border at the edge of the pin.....Scrapper. So far, I think it was my only one.

Pin pics has been very helpful, but it is difficult to obtain/retain all of the information that site provides.

Actually, that's not always true. I have pins that I purchased directly from DL that have a slight border around the edges of the pin. But for the most part it is true. Other tells are
missing paint, paint with large dents/divets (altho again, I've purchased pins that have divets directly from DL) no shiny surface, ie no top coat on the pin so the paint looks dull, directional scratches (not the kind you find when you're trading, these are definitely worse), mis-spelling on the back of the pin (ie mikey instead of mickey, lille instead of little), there are a lot of different ways to tell. There's a thread on this on the Collector's Board as well, it doesn't get a lot of action tho so you'd have to do a search.

Thanks for the tip on the Collector's Board ~ Will check it out.
I have not branched out too far from the CA Board. :flower3:

I may take a picture of this particular pin and see what you think. It is a bowling pin with the SW Evil Queen that was the first pin I traded with a CM. If I remember correctly, the number and all matched what I saw on Pinpics, I just noticed the Mickey border and thought it may be a scrapper.

If it's a HM bowling pin I have it, and mine is 100% legit because we traded for it the first weekend they were out in the park. :) I'd be happy to take a look, feel free to PM me if you want my email address, or I'm on FB, if you'd like to add me PM me. I don't want to put my last name on the boards. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter