Tips for Doing Atlantis-Paradise Island for Less

I saw this on Atlantis' website to describe "Deluxe Harbor View":
The Royal Towers Deluxe Harbour View rooms offer premium Marina or Nassau Harbour views from the Atlantis Royal Towers, as well as check-in privileges in the Sun Lounge. The rooms are located on floors 17 thru 24 and feature French balconies.

Those high floors will have a neat view no matter which direction your room faces.

And I think French Balcony means it has sliding glass doors and a small ledge (6-12 inches) to step out onto.
A small ledge is all I need. That's works for me.

We had sun lounge check-in last time also. There was no line at all. I have a feeling, though, this trip there will be lines for everything. Summer trip versus New year's. Have you been in the summer?

A small ledge is all I need. That's works for me.

We had sun lounge check-in last time also. There was no line at all. I have a feeling, though, this trip there will be lines for everything. Summer trip versus New year's. Have you been in the summer?
Not in the summer, but in low season in September. Nice and quiet then.

I would imagine that summer is more like spring-break. I've been pretty much all spring break weeks, including Easter, and crowds at Atlantis are far more manageable than Disney. And the water park crowds are far more influenced by the size and number of ships in port than the time of year. Once you know your way around Atlantis, there's lots of places to go to avoid the cruising hordes, and if you know when they come and go, you can avoid lines.

We're gong to try some of the family games that we missed out on last time. We had fewer days and wanted to squeeze every minute out of the beach and waterpark.

BTW, the beach we went to last time was very rough and hard to swim in. Where is the best beach area at Atlantis. We went to the one directly over the bridge from the big pool.

We're gong to try some of the family games that we missed out on last time. We had fewer days and wanted to squeeze every minute out of the beach and waterpark.

BTW, the beach we went to last time was very rough and hard to swim in. Where is the best beach area at Atlantis. We went to the one directly over the bridge from the big pool.
Atlantis does not do a good job of naming the beach areas, and its website is a bit misleading.

The best beach for swimming is usually Cove Beach. It's a protected cove, and any waves of size get cut by a reef. 2016 Edit - the following language has been removed from Atlantis' website:Atlantis' website has the poorly written statement that "This tranquil stretch of white and turquoise waters is reserved for guest [sic] of The Cove Atlantis." I think this is meant for Paradise Beach...this poorly written language has been on the website for years and the fact of the matter is that all the lounge chairs on Cove Beach are set-up on the Royal Tower/east side of the beach. We've used it every year without incident.

Paradise Beach is pretty much inaccessible unless you're staying at the Cove or Reef. I think the lounges there are only for those guests. And I say pretty much inaccessible because beaches in the Bahamas are public to the high water mark, so you can sit on any beach you can access, but you may/may not be allowed to use loungers on Paradise beach.

The Paradise Lagoon beaches are nice if you have little ones or want to snorkel. At high tide there's basically no beach though, as it gets covered by a few inches of sea water.

Cabbage Beach is the one with the jet-ski guys and the hair braiding ladies, as well as cruisers, and coconut/cigar vendors. From what you said, that sounds like where you went. In some Atlantis maps its listed as Atlantis Beach. The surf here is often too rough to swim, but that varies day to day. We swam in it this year on a very calm day, but other days the surf would be too much for anyone....its not a surfing beach as the waves crash very quickly. Atlantis has lifeguards and staff out here to help you with loungers, but its a bit of a free for all, since there is a public walkway to the beach close to the edge of Atlantis' property.
AtlantisBeaches.jpg

Last edited:

Atlantis does not do a good job of naming the beach areas, and its website is a bit misleading.

The best beach for swimming is usually Cove Beach. It's a protected cove, and any waves of size get cut by a reef. Atlantis' website has the poorly written statement that "This tranquil stretch of white and turquoise waters is reserved for guest [sic] of The Cove Atlantis." I think this is meant for Paradise Beach...this poorly written language has been on the website for years and the fact of the matter is that all the lounge chairs on Cove Beach are set-up on the Royal Tower/east side of the beach. We've used it every year without incident.

Paradise Beach is pretty much inaccessible unless you're staying at the Cove or Reef. I think the lounges there are only for those guests. And I say pretty much inaccessible because beaches in the Bahamas are public to the high water mark, so you can sit on any beach you can access, but you may/may not be allowed to use loungers on Paradise beach.

The Paradise Lagoon beaches are nice if you have little ones or want to snorkel. At high tide there's basically no beach though, as it gets covered by a few inches of sea water.

Cabbage Beach is the one with the jet-ski guys and the hair braiding ladies, as well as cruisers, and coconut/cigar vendors. From what you said, that sounds like where you went. In some Atlantis maps its listed as Atlantis Beach. The surf here is often too rough to swim, but that varies day to day. We swam in it this year on a very calm day, but other days the surf would be too much for anyone....its not a surfing beach as the waves crash very quickly. Atlantis has lifeguards and staff out here to help you with loungers, but its a bit of a free for all, since there is a public walkway to the beach close to the edge of Atlantis' property.
View attachment 98148
That map is great! Thank you!! So, it looks like cove beach is the winner. From the map, it seems like this beach is very near the pool where the lazy river ends/begins. Is that right?

That map is great! Thank you!! So, it looks like cove beach is the winner. From the map, it seems like this beach is very near the pool where the lazy river ends/begins. Is that right?
Sort-of. Its closest to the pool with the columns in the middle (The Baths). From the exit/entry point near the lockers, its a short walk around on the walkway.

Sort-of. Its closest to the pool with the columns in the middle (The Baths). From the exit/entry point near the lockers, its a short walk around on the walkway.
Interesting. I don't remember that pool. Looks like it is past the Power Tower, which I remember. I just looked at the list of rides on the website and I think we missed a few of them also. Looks like we have some more exploring to do this time around.

Now I want to go to the Bahamas!! Does anyone know if babies count towards occupancy at Comfort Suites? It says no more than 4 to a room, but we would have 4 plus a baby. Just curious if anyone knows!

Now I want to go to the Bahamas!! Does anyone know if babies count towards occupancy at Comfort Suites? It says no more than 4 to a room, but we would have 4 plus a baby. Just curious if anyone knows!

I bet your baby would not count toward occupancy. Although, if you are requesting crib that might be different.

Last edited:
Scratch that question. Getting better rates to come up at Atlantis, and it's allowing all 3 kids in the room!

Scratch that question. Getting better rates to come up at Atlantis, and it's allowing all 3 kids in the room!
That's awesome! I feel like the rates we got for our dates were not that great, but it was the only time we could go.

Also, if it's the deal that includes the "free shallow water dolphin interaction" be very cautious of blackout dates and a ridiculous rules that bit us. We made sure to book a stay that had days included not during the blackout dates. But Atlantis has a policy where you can't use the dolphin credit if your stay "touches the blackout dates in any way". I've never heard of something so silly. If you stay falls anywhere in the calendar where is bumps up to a blackout date then you don't get the free dolphin interaction.

For example, we wanted to schedule the dolphins on the 14th, but the blackout dates were the 11th-13th. They refused to honor the credit because the 14th "touches" the 13th. I've never heard of such a thing. I got nowhere with customer service. Fortunately, we've already done the dolphins and my guys don't really care one way or the other. But, still, it's the principle of the thing that bugs me.

We have booked the Comfort Suites Paradise Island for a trip in a couple of weeks with the expectations that all amenities at Atlantis are included, but I just read a review on Trip Advisor that said something about using the atlantis water parks for 1/2 price? Does anyone know if you have to pay to access the water parks at Atlantis if you are staying at Comfort Suites?

We have booked the Comfort Suites Paradise Island for a trip in a couple of weeks with the expectations that all amenities at Atlantis are included, but I just read a review on Trip Advisor that said something about using the atlantis water parks for 1/2 price? Does anyone know if you have to pay to access the water parks at Atlantis if you are staying at Comfort Suites?
For more than 12 years Comfort Suites has had free access to Atlantis. Can you point us to where you saw this? The CS website still lists access to Atlantis as an amenity.

Are you sure it wasn't a cruiser saying they got a room at the CS to get access to Atlantis for 1/2 of what it would have cost to buy day passes for the same number of people? Or were they confused about the mandatory housekeeping, energy, and gratuity fees that the CS tacks on (like every hotels in Nassau)?

For more than 12 years Comfort Suites has had free access to Atlantis. Can you point us to where you saw this? The CS website still lists access to Atlantis as an amenity.

Are you sure it wasn't a cruiser saying they got a room at the CS to get access to Atlantis for 1/2 of what it would have cost to buy day passes for the same number of people? Or were they confused about the mandatory housekeeping, energy, and gratuity fees that the CS tacks on (like every hotels in Nassau)?

I read it on Tripadvisor, under reviews...couldn't figure out how to screen shot the page but this is what was posted:

"We stayed at comfort suites about two week ago and it was great.it is just a few minutes walk from Atlantis which you have free access to all of it's attraction and water park for half the price. The staff was wonderful and on the days we didn't go to Atlantis we stayed by the pool at Comfort suites mike at the pool bar was very friendly and the lifeguards Byron and Angelo was very helpful with our umbrellas and towels. We had a great time and would stay there again."

I've read plenty of other reviews that stated everything was free when you stay at Comfort Suites; admittedly I haven't been planning this trip as much as I would normally due to work and school commitments so I wasn't sure if something had recently changed?

just re-read the review and now wonder if the poster meant for "half the price" of what it would cost to stay at Atlantis ,not the water park for half price? Now I think I probably just misinterpreted it :)

just re-read the review and now wonder if the poster meant for "half the price" of what it would cost to stay at Atlantis ,not the water park for half price? Now I think I probably just misinterpreted it :)
I think the poster meant that the total cost of staying at the CS was half of what it would have cost to stay at Atlantis. It would be pretty big news in the Trip Adviser community if the CS no longer had access to Atlantis. I'm a frequent poster on the Paradise Island board there, and I haven't seen any mention of Atlantis access being removed from the perks of staying at the CS.

I interpret the post you quoted as saying that the cost of stying at the CS was haf of what it would have cost to stay at Atlantis, with-the same free access to Atlantis' grounds and water features/park

I think the poster meant that the total cost of staying at the CS was half of what it would have cost to stay at Atlantis. It would be pretty big news in the Trip Adviser community if the CS no longer had access to Atlantis. I'm a frequent poster on the Paradise Island board there, and I haven't seen any mention of Atlantis access being removed from the perks of staying at the CS.

I interpret the post you quoted as saying that the cost of stying at the CS was haf of what it would have cost to stay at Atlantis, with-the same free access to Atlantis' grounds and water features/park
yes, I'm sure I just misinterpreted the post, thank you!

Thank you thank you so much for this thread! Atlantis seems as fun, maybe more fun, than Disney (am I allowed to say this?!). After all the price increases at Disney I'm so disenchanted so we are looking at other options, probably going to "cheat" at the end of 2017 or even 2019.

I know, I'm researching very early. Who knows, maybe we will go sooner if I like what I'm learning!

In the meantime, trying to understand the lay of the land, We are dvc members and used to Boardwalk and bay lake, our "home" resorts, and generally book 1bds. We did try the poly a few months ago, and although a studio wasn't ideal, it was manageable bc it was so big. I also loved the location and resort, even more than BLT! We hated AKL bc of the lack of convenient transportation options to the parks (I know that doesn't bother some people but we were miserable with waiting for the bus for EVERYTHING-- thus our home resorts are walkable to the parks).

Based on this information, which Atlantis hotel would you recommend? Would you say we would like harbor side?

Please note we are very budget conscious, as we are on a restricted income for a few more years (hubby in training for his profession, and I had to quit a reasonable job to relocate to that training program which happens to be in the middle of nowhere... Sigh). However, despite our limited cash flow for the next few years, I'm very much a hotel snob and we can splurge for life's little luxuries.

Any tips and tricks is much much appreciated and thank you again!!

Atlantis seems as fun, maybe more fun, than Disney (am I allowed to say this?!)
Atlantis is the same general kind of fun, but can also be *relaxing*. Crowds are not the same type of issue at Atlantis, and your not constantly moving from one queue to the next. You can sit on the beach, play in the pools, and float for hours in the rivers if you like. Its a huge place, but its not overwhelming like Disney can often feel.
In the meantime, trying to understand the lay of the land, We are dvc members and used to Boardwalk and bay lake, our "home" resorts, and generally book 1bds. We did try the poly a few months ago, and although a studio wasn't ideal, it was manageable bc it was so big. I also loved the location and resort, even more than BLT! We hated AKL bc of the lack of convenient transportation options to the parks (I know that doesn't bother some people but we were miserable with waiting for the bus for EVERYTHING-- thus our home resorts are walkable to the parks).

Based on this information, which Atlantis hotel would you recommend? Would you say we would like harbor side?
Transportation is really not an issue. Harborside runs shuttles that take you over to and from the lobbies of the Atlantis hotel towers, and from there you go to the pools/ride/beach areas. The shuttles run in a pretty constant loop, and you usually are just sitting alone or with two or three other families going back and forth. On the rare occasions when there are too many people for a shuttle, the driver will be back in less than 10 minutes, or they'll re direct one of the other shuttle for a one-time trip.

And you don't have to always take a shuttle....you can walk form Harborside to the rest of Atlantis through the Marina and/or Marina Village.

Overall, you walk a lot at Atlantis no matter where you stay. The Royal Towers is the most central, but you still have a lot of walking to do. And the walking is not boring walking, but along the beach, through the hotel lobbies and public areas, or in the Marina Village shopping and dining area. Atlantis also has shuttles that take you around the lobbies and shopping/dining area, but they are more of a energy saver than time saver, as the distances involved are not that great.
Please note we are very budget conscious, as we are on a restricted income for a few more years (hubby in training for his profession, and I had to quit a reasonable job to relocate to that training program which happens to be in the middle of nowhere... Sigh). However, despite our limited cash flow for the next few years, I'm very much a hotel snob and we can splurge for life's little luxuries.
Decision one: Timeshare/condo unit or regular hotel room. If you want a bedroom separate from a living/kitchen area, then your choices are Harborside and the Reef. Reef is luxury condos - a step or two above DVC. Harborside is nice timeshares - quite similar to DVC, though not as themed, but similar overall condition (I own at BLT). No studios at Harborside, and all the units have washer dryer and more of a kitchenette than a full kitchen (but with a dishwasher and full size freezer fridge combo).

Timeshare/condo type units are good on a budget because you can eat-in breakfast and prepare a other meals in your unit as well, if you like.

If you'd prefer a hotel room, then the more you pay the more luxurious you get. Comfort Suites in not exactly luxurious, but its clean and well maintained, and includes free breakfast, so its a good idea for a budget. The picture of the rooms in Atlantis other towers are accurate. The Coral and Beach towers are older buildings, but the rooms are well maintained and have been frequently renovated. They're nicer than Disney moderates, but maybe not quite a deluxe.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great information. One confusion I find is the description of “Room Only” at the Atlantis. I will call the resort but I guess it means no food. If you have any insight it would be appreciated. Planning a trip soon. Thanks again.

One confusion I find is the description of “Room Only” at the Atlantis. I will call the resort but I guess it means no food.
Where are you encountering this? I'm most familiar with Atlantis' website and I'm not seeing that when I look for reservations.

In any case, the suggestions in the first post still apply. I'm happy to answer questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter