Tips for a 1st time WDW veteran

DisneyinPA

Mouseketeer
Trying to finally take the plunge to go to DL for the first time. I know I shouldn't try to compare DL with WDW but having a hard time convincing myself to get out of my comfort zone and go to DL. I know if I don't go I'm going to regret it. Looking into maybe going next May or June. It depends if we take our kids out of school if we decide on May. We are DVC members so maybe May would be easier to get the Villas at the Grand Californian. Is one month better than another? What about the weather? How many days should I devot to the two parks? With so many great restaurants in WDW what do you suggest in DL with a family of 4 dining wise. Kids are 10 and 13. Thanks!!

There are some pretty good 3rd Party hotels. Don't think that you have to stay at a Disney hotel in order to be close to the parks.
Save some money on hotels and put it towards things like MaxPass, Fantasmic Dining and World of Color Dessert.
In my opinion, Extra Magic Hours are not all that great and shouldn't be a sole reason to stay at a Disney Hotel.

I would recommend visiting 3 days. One full day at Disneyland. One day at California Adventure, One day park hopping.

Weather should be warm during the day but cold at night.

Plan to be at park entrance 30 minutes before the park opening every day. You can get a lot done before the parks get busy if you do that.

Take mid day breaks and then come back at night for more attractions and the night shows.

Trying to finally take the plunge to go to DL for the first time. I know I shouldn't try to compare DL with WDW but having a hard time convincing myself to get out of my comfort zone and go to DL. I know if I don't go I'm going to regret it. Looking into maybe going next May or June. It depends if we take our kids out of school if we decide on May. We are DVC members so maybe May would be easier to get the Villas at the Grand Californian. Is one month better than another? What about the weather? How many days should I devot to the two parks? With so many great restaurants in WDW what do you suggest in DL with a family of 4 dining wise. Kids are 10 and 13. Thanks!!

Here are some thoughts to get you started. I agree with the PP about mid-day breaks. Stay at a DLR hotel or walking distance good neighbor and take breaks. Much easier to take breaks than at WDW. Imagine having a hotel where the door to your room is closer to the park gates than some bus or boat stops are at WDW to parks there.

May and June - I like those months but you unless choose late June there are some issues you should know beforehand:
"The Scoop on Grad Nights at DLR in May and June" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2298400
"What You Should Know About Off-Season at DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=18462889

Weather - nice at that time of year: "Detailed Weather Data for DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=23004158

Plan at least four full days in the parks and get park hoppers - 2.5 days at DL and 1.5 at DCA. An extra 5th day would be a good for a first time just try and make it at least 4.

Dining - see "What WDW Vets Need to Know About Dining at DLR" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2914467

Lots of other good tips in the newbie sticky thread at the top.

:wizard:

Last edited:
There are some pretty good 3rd Party hotels. Don't think that you have to stay at a Disney hotel in order to be close to the parks.
Save some money on hotels and put it towards things like MaxPass, Fantasmic Dining and World of Color Dessert.
In my opinion, Extra Magic Hours are not all that great and shouldn't be a sole reason to stay at a Disney Hotel.

I would recommend visiting 3 days. One full day at Disneyland. One day at California Adventure, One day park hopping.

Weather should be warm during the day but cold at night.

Plan to be at park entrance 30 minutes before the park opening every day. You can get a lot done before the parks get busy if you do that.

Take mid day breaks and then come back at night for more attractions and the night shows.
I agree with most of what you said here, except for your first statement. If the OP is DVC member, why wouldn't they want to stay at the Villas? It's already paid for.

I agree with most of what you said here, except for your first statement. If the OP is DVC member, why wouldn't they want to stay at the Villas? It's already paid for.
Yes I would be staying at the VGC. I have the points so not staying off property.

I think May is a great time to go. We usually go in May and the weather is perfect. Still warm enough to swim but not too hot in the parks. Downside is, hours are usually shorter. Dining depends on what you're looking for. Lots of options in the park and so much easier not having to schedule all your meals like at WDW. May want to eat at Blue Bayou for the atmosphere and not having it at WDW.

My mother had a friend who was a DVC member, and he let us use his points at VGC for free. It was sweet.

Well we're DVC members and are staying offsite at DL. We will be in the parks too much to justify the points cost at VGC.

Anyone know when Disney will release that dates for Grad nights in May and June?
It seems like that happens in January/February but I do not pay that close of attention when they are first announced. If you want to really nail it down then search this forum for posts on grad nights since January and see where posts start popping up about the dates.

Knowing that far ahead works well for most DLR lodging reservations. But not for DVC usually especially at GCH.

Also, this year Disney had some of kind of special ticket for SoCal residents that expired on May 19 if I recall. Some big and unexpected crowds piled in before that which frustrated many visitors hoping for lower crowds.

Another issue to get your head around are SoCal AP blockouts. Here is an old thread still relevant on this: "Understanding AP Blockouts and Impact on Crowds" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2365983

With the grad nights and SoCal AP summer blockouts starting in late June (see the DLR website for a calendar https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/blockout-dates/), I just made reservations today actually for June 19-23 next year to avoid the grad nights and SoCal APs.

Like you, I have visited WDW many times and of couse I love it! But there was always the curiosity of what is the orginal park like? Plus my dad grew up in California, so i got to hear all about his DL adventures. (oh yeah and how DL is better too lol) Last year I graduated college and as my gift, I was sent to DL. I was sooo excited to go, yet also a little nervous. You always hear people saying things like "Disneyland stinks, WDW is better" well...i'm here to tell you that is far from true!! While yes, they are both speical and amazing places to visit...I can honestly say I perfer Disneyland! You will love how close everything is. No buses, or driving to other parks. This makes park hopping so much easier! It's only natural to want to compare them and you can, I know i did. It was interesting to see how both parks had some of the same rides yet they were so different. Disneyland may not be as big as WDW but is has this speical unique feeling to it. Maybe because youre walking in Walt Disney's footsteps. If you get the chance to take that trip I would definatly go for it. I stayed at the Disneyland hotel (love it!!) but have walked through the Grand Californian many times and its very beautiful.
The parks, as well as Downtown Disney have some pretty awesome food choices. Another thing I really enjoyed was not having to make dining reservations months in advance. I made one the night before during my trip. If you are looking to save money there are serval cheaper options close by the parks as well. I really hope you do get the opportuiny to visit Disneyland, because it truly is something speical :)

It seems like that happens in January/February but I do not pay that close of attention when they are first announced. If you want to really nail it down then search this forum for posts on grad nights since January and see where posts start popping up about the dates.

Knowing that far ahead works well for most DLR lodging reservations. But not for DVC usually especially at GCH.

Also, this year Disney had some of kind of special ticket for SoCal residents that expired on May 19 if I recall. Some big and unexpected crowds piled in before that which frustrated many visitors hoping for lower crowds.

Another issue to get your head around are SoCal AP blockouts. Here is an old thread still relevant on this: "Understanding AP Blockouts and Impact on Crowds" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2365983

With the grad nights and SoCal AP summer blockouts starting in late June (see the DLR website for a calendar https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/blockout-dates/), I just made reservations today actually for June 19-23 next year to avoid the grad nights and SoCal APs.

Thanks hydroguy. I definitely want to avoid grad nights. It all depends on how expensive flights are from the east coast on SW. I'd imagine flying on a Tuesday or Wednesday will be cheaper. Your dates sound like a good idea. I'm probably leaning towards June so I don't have to take my kids out of school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter