Tips and advices for an ucommping MAY 2018 DL vist (1st in 11 years)

Here is a recent blog post about Pixar Fest coming to the resort this spring. While the Paradise Pier remodel will still be in progress continuing to make some attractions such as California Screamin' unavailable, it looks like the new and revamped entertainment will start on April 13. That includes the new Disneyland fireworks show and the Paint the Night parade in DCA. The blog post also suggests that the Pixar parade in Disneyland will start on this date as well.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ut-disneyland-resort-beginning-april-13-2018/

Thanks for your responses. That info on the blog looks amzing... now i am very excited about paint the night at DCA. I am curious though.. isthe event at DL also a parade?

I guess the mindset is the treat both parks as one... I will try do to that.
let me begin working a schedule, with the help of the may thread and the grad nights dates to see what a potential park calendar will look for us.

Now one of the main activities will be to hunt down Paint the night nights and the other parade dates to be sure to be on time those days and get a good spot.

Yes, by all means park hop! (no bag check.....entrances to both parks and all of Downtown Disney are in the security zone, so bag check once and you can go anywhere within the zone.)
One detail for your plans....don't ignore rides that are in WDW......very few of them are exactly the same. (Pirates and others are much better!) (Also Fantasmic! is a better show, but a lousy set up.)

Yes, prior to entering Downtown Disney there are bag checks / security. From there you can wander the stores, etc. and/or head to either park entrance without going through another bag check/security.

thank you, Dapper 11/16 was the last time I was DTD, right before the new move....I sure missed that tip if it showed up here on the boards, but being a east side lodger, probably went right over my head anyhow

Thank you for all of the amazing feedback!
I hope everything goes well in may

I am also glad t osee that we will be able to see PIXAR PIER

Paint the Night...best parade EVER. You are in for a real treat. I so hope it is still there in August.

Paint the Night...best parade EVER. You are in for a real treat. I so hope it is still there in August.

Speaking of much... i cried when i heard that the MSEP was done... i saw it for the last time in 2013 at the WDW..i am super DUPER excited for Paint the night..
What would be the ideal location to watch it... ?

Also will Dl havea night parade too?

May is comming up fast and I have additional questions..

I LOVE PARADES and I am VERY MUCH looking forward for PAINT THE NIGHT. Now... at MK... i like to sit at the edge of main street, OR at the edge in the roundabout... being very close the the floats and seeing them comming. Is there a similar view at DCA?

Now, I AM LOOKING into one of those Dinning packages... I see the Tratoria and some other restaurant. One of them is standing up, the other is seated. Are any of those options worth it? How good is the viewing area? Let me remind you that we will be going with a 2 year old and a 5 MONTH OLD. I am also confused about the DINNING PACKAGE AND THE RECEPTION PACKAGE....

Thank you in advance

Is there a similar view at DCA?

Now, I AM LOOKING into one of those Dinning packages... I see the Tratoria and some other restaurant. One of them is standing up, the other is seated. Are any of those options worth it? How good is the viewing area? Let me remind you that we will be going with a 2 year old and a 5 MONTH OLD. I am also confused about the DINNING PACKAGE AND THE RECEPTION PACKAGE....

Thank you in advance
I don’t know what packages (in bold) you’re referring to. There have never, to my knowledge, been packages for a parade in DCA. So, others may not quite know either-it will be new info.

When a different parade was in DCA you are able to be very close to the parade route. I don’t know if they’ve announced the parade route yet but it will probably have great viewing. I thought you had to stand for the parade in DCA before. Not sure about where the dining package viewing spot will be.

Disneyland Daily has Facebook and web site and keeps things updated.

May is comming up fast and I have additional questions..

I LOVE PARADES and I am VERY MUCH looking forward for PAINT THE NIGHT. Now... at MK... i like to sit at the edge of main street, OR at the edge in the roundabout... being very close the the floats and seeing them comming. Is there a similar view at DCA?

Thank you in advance

Is this what you’re looking for?
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/di...onoma-terrace-paint-the-night-parade-viewing/

The price seems crazy high. DCA is huge and there should be plenty of viewing options without having to spend that much.

Everybody is giving you great advice. You really do need to have park hopper tickets. And if your son is age 3 on the 1st day of the trip, then he needs a ticket, too.

Since you like taking it slow and not rushed, go for 5 days. We did that last summer and it was wonderful. And you know what? We still didn't do everything.

Since you're staying at the PPH, you'll get early entry (EMH) every day. At DL/DCA, it pays off to use EMH. It really does. It's GREAT! It pays off at DL to be there for rope drop because the first 3 hours that the park is open is the least busiest time of day. A lot of DL visitors live in So Cal and drive to get there, which means a lot of them don't show up until noon.

I disagree with the advice to wait on Toon Town until the evening. After a long day in the parks, by the evening your average 3 yr old will be really worn out. Here's what we've done before at DL. I recommend considering an itinerary something like this if you want to maximize your time in the mornings. I've done this myself a few times now and this really is do-able even with kids in strollers and time for bathroom breaks.
  • Let's say reg. park opening is 9am. That means that DL EMH is 8-9 am. Be in line with park tickets in hand at 7:30 am. EMH at DL is on Tues, Thurs, or Sat.
  • At around 7:40-7:45 am, they'll start letting people in. Go walk down Main Street for the rope drop.
  • Walk with purpose to Fantasyland.
  • If there's already a line at Peter Pan, skip it. Otherwise, go on...
  • Peter Pan
  • Dumbo
  • Alice
  • Mad Tea Party
  • the carousel
  • Snow White
  • At about this point, it will be regular park opening time.
  • Pinocchio
  • I'm leaving out Matterhorn since your kids will likely not be able to ride it, but if you adults want to try it, ask a CM for a child swap pass.
  • Storybook Land Canal Boats
  • Casey Jr Circus Train
  • bathroom break. There's 1 kind of between It's a small world, the entrance to Toon Town, and the Mickey & the Magical Map theater.
  • Autopia
  • then be at the entrance to Toon Town 5 min before it opens. It will open 1 hour after regular park opening.
  • Walk then straight to Mickey's house to meet him with almost 0 wait time.
  • The other main characters will be out on the "street" in Toon Town for meet & greets.
  • Let your child explore all the fun stuff in Toon Town.
  • Next head to your late character breakfast reservation at the Plaza Inn. Do something like a 10:30 am reservation. Sit and eat MIckey waffles and bacon for an hour while up to 7 characters come over to you. They're really great with little kids.
  • Make sure at regular park opening time, that you get a FP for a FP ride.
  • After the Plaza Inn, go on HM or Pirates.
  • Then go on HM or Pirates (whichever one you didn't go on just before).
Winnie the Pooh always has a short line.
When the parks get busy, head to Tom Sawyer's Island and let your kids run around.

Everybody is giving you great advice. You really do need to have park hopper tickets. And if your son is age 3 on the 1st day of the trip, then he needs a ticket, too.

Since you like taking it slow and not rushed, go for 5 days. We did that last summer and it was wonderful. And you know what? We still didn't do everything.

Since you're staying at the PPH, you'll get early entry (EMH) every day. At DL/DCA, it pays off to use EMH. It really does. It's GREAT! It pays off at DL to be there for rope drop because the first 3 hours that the park is open is the least busiest time of day. A lot of DL visitors live in So Cal and drive to get there, which means a lot of them don't show up until noon.

I disagree with the advice to wait on Toon Town until the evening. After a long day in the parks, by the evening your average 3 yr old will be really worn out. Here's what we've done before at DL. I recommend considering an itinerary something like this if you want to maximize your time in the mornings. I've done this myself a few times now and this really is do-able even with kids in strollers and time for bathroom breaks.
  • Let's say reg. park opening is 9am. That means that DL EMH is 8-9 am. Be in line with park tickets in hand at 7:30 am. EMH at DL is on Tues, Thurs, or Sat.
  • At around 7:40-7:45 am, they'll start letting people in. Go walk down Main Street for the rope drop.
  • Walk with purpose to Fantasyland.
  • If there's already a line at Peter Pan, skip it. Otherwise, go on...
  • Peter Pan
  • Dumbo
  • Alice
  • Mad Tea Party
  • the carousel
  • Snow White
  • At about this point, it will be regular park opening time.
  • Pinocchio
  • I'm leaving out Matterhorn since your kids will likely not be able to ride it, but if you adults want to try it, ask a CM for a child swap pass.
  • Storybook Land Canal Boats
  • Casey Jr Circus Train
  • bathroom break. There's 1 kind of between It's a small world, the entrance to Toon Town, and the Mickey & the Magical Map theater.
  • Autopia
  • then be at the entrance to Toon Town 5 min before it opens. It will open 1 hour after regular park opening.
  • Walk then straight to Mickey's house to meet him with almost 0 wait time.
  • The other main characters will be out on the "street" in Toon Town for meet & greets.
  • Let your child explore all the fun stuff in Toon Town.
  • Next head to your late character breakfast reservation at the Plaza Inn. Do something like a 10:30 am reservation. Sit and eat MIckey waffles and bacon for an hour while up to 7 characters come over to you. They're really great with little kids.
  • Make sure at regular park opening time, that you get a FP for a FP ride.
  • After the Plaza Inn, go on HM or Pirates.
  • Then go on HM or Pirates (whichever one you didn't go on just before).
Winnie the Pooh always has a short line.
When the parks get busy, head to Tom Sawyer's Island and let your kids run around.

OMG.. THANK YOU SO VERY VERY MUCH for this.

I was thinking the same.... Waiting untill night for Toontown would substract from my child enjoyment. I was unaware that not all zones open at the same time. Is there a reason for this?

Isee that EVERYONE suggests getting park hopper for all the dyas.. and yes. WE ARE GONG 5 days to DLR.
I am still nervous about the maxpass and the crowds.....and I guess I JUST WANT to make the most out of my trip.

Now... lets hope my child does not get scared on pinocchio and those other dark rides.

Now... lets hope my child does not get scared on pinocchio and those other dark rides
My 20 month old did not like the dark rides at all! We started on Pirates and it ruined rides for him for the rest of the trip. The only ones he enjoyed were Small World (his favorite!) and Little Mermaid. Peter Pan was ok. We decided that next trip, we'll start with Small World to get him off to the right start. We'll do the morning rush to Fantasyland later in our trip.

...Now... lets hope my child does not get scared on pinocchio and those other dark rides.
You can start watching YouTube videos of the DL dark rides together with him, explaining the ride to him as the video plays, repeatedly before your trip so that he is very familiar with things before you even get to DLR. Don't act scared or talk about anything like it is scary. Gauge his reaction and let him take the lead. You'll learn what he can take and which rides to skip on your trip. And don't be surprised if he turns into a daredevil on your trip -- that can happen, too! Or he may decide that he hates dark rides -- wouldn't be the first kid at DL to go that route. :)

Good idea about the youtube videos. I shall do that in the following weeks/months. as well as try to make my 2 year old CARS. He loves Toy Story and Winnie the Pooh, but I havent been able to make him watch CArs

It has not been easy to free my mindset from WDW and thinking that DL should be treated the same.
Excuse my stubborness, but I sill am unsure if I want 5 park hoppers for teh 5 days.

When we go to WDW, even at Univrsal Orlando we always go ONE day per park. Out of the 9 times I have gone to WDW not once have we park hopped. At UNIVERSAL we have done it using the Harry potter train.. but we then to like to say at one park and enjoy it for the entire day. That is why I am still hesitant to buy park hoppers for 5 days.

Can I purchase 3 day park and then 2 pay park hoppers... what to do what to do?

...Can I purchase 3 day park and then 2 pay park hoppers... what to do what to do?

If you do this, you will have to purchase the tickets separately. So buy one set of 3 day 1 park tickets and one set of 2 day park hoppers -- which will be expensive and unnecessary. The parks are only separated by a distance of a football field. They really are like one large park with an esplanade between them. Regular visitors view them as one big park, really. We often send someone from one park to the other for FPs or for a food item that isn't available in the park we're currently in. Want a Dole Whip while spending time in DCA? No problem. Just send a runner over to DL to bring some back for everyone. It's that easy! :) If you really aren't sure, just buy base 5 day 1 park tickets, spend your first day doing one park only, then upgrade to hoppers if you think that will work for you. Until you've seen how close together the parks are and how easy it is to hop, you won't believe it. You can always upgrade if you want to, so start basic and see how it goes. By the way, are you planning on buying MaxPass for your visit? If so, then you should get hoppers. MP allows you to get FPs for both parks without going back and forth. So, for example, you could get FPs for RSR while waiting in a line in DL. But you would have to get hoppers to get the most out of MP.
Re-read this thread (A DLR Guide for WDW Vets) and free your mind of WDW comparisons. It will help you relax and make your DLR trip so much easier!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter