tipping housekeeping?

MomofTMK

Mouseketeer
We will be staying in OKW for 11 nights beginning 8/5. I believe we have one trash and towel day and one full service day for housekeeping. Do most of you leave a tip for them? If so, how much for these two days? Thanks!

I don't tip for housekeeping unless there has been some extraordinary reason to. Perhaps if there was a special amount of cleaning or we needed something extra, but I am one who believes it is their job, and unless they do something extraordinary to their regular job, it isn't a tip situation. Wait persons at resteraunts get tips if they give good service, but I never even see the housekeeper who cleans or does trash and towel. My DH does a lot of traveling for business, and they are told by the company NOT to tip housekeeping in hotels. Something about it not being a personal service type job.

I always tip housekeeping, at least a couple of dollars, more if we made a bigger mess then normal. I look at it this way, if the housekeeper sees the tip there they might do a bit of a better job then if it wasn't. When you look at how much money we spend at the mouse what's a couple of additional dollars???

As DVC owners we don't get the usual hotel type of housekeeping. Someone comes in once and leaves clean towels and emptys the trash. Unless there is an unusual amount of trash or a particularly messy situation,(we empty the trash ourselves as needed) I don't tip on T+T day. If we require extra service then I tip at the time it is rendered. We do leave something at the end of our stay.

We leave a small tip for the Trash and Towel, usually a few dollars, and a larger tip when we leave, last time I think it was $20. If you look at how much work goes into cleaning those units, I think it is quite amazing. Personally, I believe that, in general, the housekeepers do an excellent job and deserve a tip.

Also, the general rule when staying in a hotel seems to be $1-$2 per night. So, when I look at the amount of work to clean a 2 bedroom at OKW compared to cleaning a normal hotel room, I still think they deserve at least $2 per night.

I pretty much follow the same logic as Tiggerific. Depending on the size of the unit, it's like cleaning a house not just a hotel room. I always tip at hotels and do the same at DVC resorts. I know our dues go toward housekeeping but I think tips might ensure quality housekeepers would want to work at DVC resorts. If they can get tipped at the other WDW resorts and not at ours, why would they want to work at DVC?

I also have some of RAD's thought working....

When you look at how much money we spend at the mouse what's a couple of additional dollars???

In the past I've tipped at the end but lately I've been leaving a partial tip on T&T and a larger tip at the end of the stay (and full cleaning day if there is one).

I usually leave a tip at the end of my stay. This trip (leave tomorrow) will only be our 2nd DVC stay. I like the idea of leaving the tip on trash and towel day. Thanks for the suggestion.

I believe housekeeping deserves something for cleaning up after us.....I am sure, although I don't really know, that they don't make a heck of alot of money and a few extra dollars here and there surely would help out.

My unit was spotless last trip and I am expecting it that way this trip, did I say we leave tomorrow!!!, so a tip is definetly worth it.

PS....Did I say we leave tomorrow?????????? LOL

rbuzzotta -- Have a great trip!!

When did you say you were leaving? :smooth: :smooth: :smooth:

We check in at OKW on 8/5 and check out on 8/16. Need I say we are counting the hours and seconds?!?

I know that its a vacation... but, we take out our own trash and make our own beds (in any accomodation). Even when we stayed in All Star last Christmas, we made the bed. When we got back housekeeping had remade it. :( I figure that if they don't have to do it then maybe they will be able to get us in our rooms before 4:00 p.m. Plus, it gives the kids some responsibility and we walk right past the trash bins on the way to the bus.

We always tip. On the full cleaning day and when we checked out after our 8 day visit in a 2 bdr we tipped $10 each time. We feel housekeeping at WDW does the best of anywhere we travel to. In addition, the 2 bdr at OKW is like cleaning an apartment. We asked for a few extra towels with the cleaning and they left a ton of towels and a nice note thanking us for the tip. When we used to stay in a regular room we leave $2-3/day or $5 every two days.

Great question -- we're making our first trip next month and I appreciate getting the info. We've generally had excellent housekeepers in our stays at WDW resorts and leave $2/day (for the two of us, who really aren't messy). I think it's probably pretty easy cleaning our room, but my feeling is that this is a hard job and they deserve more than minimum wage.

My understanding is that housekeepers are pretty well paid and do not depend on tips for their income.

Wait staff and Bell Service staff receive less than minimum wage and do depend on tips for their income.

We usually leave a tip for housekeeping, especially if we have needed something beyond the normal room set up.

I'm sure that all tips are greatly appreciated by the staff!

Thanks Doc, that's good to know. I thought that housekeeping also depended on tips as part of their wages.........good to know. Not that it will change much on my end....just a good FYI.

My bags are packed, I'm ready to go.........leave this afternoon!!!

We follow the recommendations included in the info received when you check in, and housekeeping is not one of the positions listed for tipping.:cool:

We have never tipped the mousekeepers. Like others have said..we take out our trash, make our beds, vacuum, etc. I don't feel they go above and beyond. They get paid their wage. However, we do tip bell services. Some may call us cheap but from the way it sounds we aren't the only ones!

DH remembered tipping from last year at the Poly and wanted to tip this year, but I told him just what I'm hearing here--we take our trash out, and make our beds, and actually we left the room looking pretty darn close to when we checked in a week previously. If they cleaned each day that would be another matter. We also tip bell services.
Robin M.

I like to tip people who can make my vacation/life easier

Joe in CT

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter