Tipping during pandemic

raddisneyfan

DIS Veteran
I will be at BWV cash for 9 nights soon. I did not decline the housekeeping, so they will come with towels and empty trash every other day presumably. My question to those that have been recently, are they accepting tips...have folks been leaving tips every other day or just at the end?

Also wondered about tipping driver of Magical Express since he will be dealing with bags and the hotel porters who might be bringing luggage to the room. Wasnt sure if these people were accepting cash in hand from guests at this point?

I’ve been tipping Mousekeeing and Bell Services/Luggage Assistance as I did pre COVID. No one seems to mind the cash. :-)

ETA, we don’t take DME so can’t comment there, although we’d tip anyone that handles our luggage, assuming they are happy to take tips as well.

I’m surprised how many people do not tip The ME drivers. Now that they are handling everyone’s bags to and from the airport they should be tipped. I believe I was the only one who tipped on our last trip. If you carry your bag on I can see not tipping but if they are huffing your 49 pound bag out of the belly of the bus, throw them a few bucks!

The DME drivers and bell staff are still able to accept tips. The DME drivers are doing more work than ever since they have to handle everyone's bags both coming and going now.

Housekeeping, I'm sure they'd accept a tip but I doubt its the same person who will come every other day. During our 7 day stay, we only had them come change our trash and towels once, and they just left a pile of towels on our table.

We tip anyone who handles our bags, whether DME or Bell Services. We don’t tip Mousekeeping because per their union contract with Disney it is not a tipped position. Minimum wage for Mousekeeping since last month (October) is now $16/hour, and it’s going up to $17 next year. They’re happy to accept tips, of course, but their compensation is not based on the assumption that they’ll be tipped (i.e. food servers are paid an hourly wage that’s lower than minimum on the assumption that they’ll earn enough in tips to bring them at least to minimum wage).

@raddisneyfan , were you just inquiring about tipping as usual, pre-covid? It appears that is what others thought based on their answers. I wondered if you meant cash, as in covid times people are doing as much contactless payment as possible. If that is what you meant, I don't really know a good alternative to cash for the DME driver, and bell services and Mousekeepers. Maybe someone will have a good idea though.

Please tip housekeeping wherever you travel. It’s a tough, thankless job. The contract should have nothing to do with it. In some places, servers get ‘regular’ wages as well and I wouldn’t think of stiffing them. Aren’t bell services and drivers also getting regular wages? Why make the distinction?
We tip anyone who handles our bags, whether DME or Bell Services. We don’t tip Mousekeeping because per their union contract with Disney it is not a tipped position. Minimum wage for Mousekeeping since last month (October) is now $16/hour, and it’s going up to $17 next year. They’re happy to accept tips, of course, but their compensation is not based on the assumption that they’ll be tipped (i.e. food servers are paid an hourly wage that’s lower than minimum on the assumption that they’ll earn enough in tips to bring them at least to minimum wage).

Last edited:
Please tip housekeeping wherever you travel. It’s a tough, thankless job. The contract should have nothing to do with it. In some places, servers get ‘regular’ wages as well and I wouldn’t think of stiffing them. Aren’t bell services and drivers also getting regular wages? Why make the distinction?
Why not just tip everyone you encounter then? Do you tip everyone who makes 'regular wages' and does a service or just the people you think should be tipped? I can see answering the question but don't try to make people feel guilty. Housekeeping is not a tipped position according to Disney. That's it. Tip if you like.

I don't understand leaving tips for days you don't receive service.

During Covid, I tip more. These people are putting their health at risk. From baristas to take out places to housekeepers.
I think tipping at the beginning or end of a trip is appropriate. Feels right to me.
But do you.

During Covid, I tip more. These people are putting their health at risk. From baristas to take out places to housekeepers.
I think tipping at the beginning or end of a trip is appropriate. Feels right to me.
But do you.
I didn't say what I did, and I don't feel the need. I'm asking a question that is valid. Do you tip everyone who provides a service to you, whether or not they are paid as a non-tipped position? Food service is obvious, but you make it seem as though you tip everyone who is providing a service. I have essential workers in my family. No one is tipping them for putting their health at risk and they are doing it in the extreme.

Again, everyone should tip as they like.

The general topic of tipping usually results in arguments on here. How much & whom you choose to tip is really an individual decision. If money is no object vs. pinching pennies to afford Disney will likely impact your tipping decisions. I interpreted the OP's question to be related to current tipping practices at Disney associated with covid.

We stayed 4 nights and only had housekeeping once, but she replaced towels, wiped down bathroom, and replaced coffee/creamer. I left a tip and thanked them for keeping us safe since the room was spotless when we checked in. It's up to you if you want to tip or not. No set rule.

Wanted to add we do not tip housekeeping unless there is some sort of exceptional service provided. I keep a very tidy room so not much ever has to be done. I always tip bell services or anyone who handles our bags. I also tip anyone who brings something to my room that I have requested UNLESS it was something housekeeping should have replaced such as coffee supplies. Then I feel I should have just bought a cup of coffee instead of making it myself lol

Quick question. Are you still able to decline housekeeping for the gift card now, or is that no longer happening?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter