Tipping Concierge...

Yup ... it's certainly not for everyone ... there should be way more benefits to it, imo ... and they should definitely communicate the tipping structure better.

I couldn't agree more with all of these sentiments.

We're sailing concierge for the second year in a row this fall. We spend almost a year pre planning our trip, meal time, excursions, spa visits, meet and greets, mixology, and everything else. Like others on this board we are low maintenance. I wish we could tip the shore side concierge team, they do most of the work for us. We do tip our room attendants and the bartender very well, the concierge team not so much. Other than asking for pop corn, and the golf cart ride to and from our cabana we really didn't interact with them at all. First day they went over our schedule, but we didn't make any different requests all week. I'm sure they do a great job, and we do tip them just because they are there for us, but the room attendant and the bar tender get the bigger tips.

Don't forget that in Concierge you also have an assistant stateroom host who does a lot of work too. They're not listed on the tips. We always make sure to give them something.

The assistant host is a salaried position. Not that a tip isn't something to consider, but they are salaried as opposed to the other service members paid only by tips earned, including the concierge hosts.

After reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion that concierge hosts make a very good living.

The assistant host is a salaried position. Not that a tip isn't something to consider, but they are salaried as opposed to the other service members paid only by tips earned, including the concierge hosts.

After reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion that concierge hosts make a very good living.

I think they should!!! Concierge hosts are amazing and have added extra magic to every cruise i have been on:tinker:

As everyone says, tipping really needs to be decided by the individual, but here is what we do as a comparison for you. We are usually on 7 night cruises, and we book a 1 bedroom suite. We tip the concierge team $600, and then give 100 to the bartender, and 50 to the crew member that takes care of the food offerings. We also give 50-75 to the cabin steward, and the same to the assistant, who is not included in the tip envelopes.

We tend to take full advantage of the concierge team, and they are amazing in making every little thing perfect. We tend to travel with other family members, so the concierge lounge becomes our meeting place to start our day, and to check in with each other. You should know that you can't tip an individual concierge host, that they are required to pool all tips and divide the total equally amongst all hosts.

We are well taken care of on the cruise, and it is tough to leave them. We love Kemisha, toward, PJ, Andy, Michelle, and Julia when she was around. Can't wait to see who we have when we get on the dream at the end of October!:stitch:
:simba::hmghost::figment::ccat::tigger::sulley::mickeyjum:goofy::dumbo::donald::tinker:

>>We tip the concierge team $600, and then give 100 to the bartender, and 50 to the crew member that takes care of the food offerings. We also give 50-75 to the cabin steward, and the same to the assistant, who is not included in the tip envelopes.>>:simba::hmghost::figment::ccat::tigger::sulley::mickeyjum:goofy::dumbo::donald::tinker:

Are you tipping that much per person, or is that for your entire family, and if the latter, for how many people? To put things in perspective, it may help to break it down to a per person level.

As we can all see tips are all over the map.
This thread posts don't average to the past poll on this subject fwiw;

https://www.disboards.com/threads/tipping-the-concierge-the-poll.2971416/

I'm with some others, tips as you feel comfortable.
Which should coincide with the use of said hosts.

If you never use them, never ask for anything, zero tip is OK.
If you have them running all over the upper decks, lower decks, and ports, for you, then you should tip them more. lol

Does DCL charge more "service charge" for the suites than other standard level cabins?
The daily rate for the room steward is what I'm focusing on. ? ? ?

If not, folks in cat S, T, R should tip more to room steward.
Room(s) is larger, more baths, etc.

I've heard some double the room host tip due to room 2 x size. 2 x bath. Makes sense to me.

The assistant room host is included in the stateroom host forced tip/addition tip ensemble.
That doesn't mean you shouldn't feed him cash, but technically. ...

What is up with DCL folks willing to give $$ to everyone?
Always fascinating.
That is why employees want to work on DCL.
The PAX share their wealth.
I've seen it, and done it in my own odd way.
But many DCL veterans do this. Including sharing with random DCL deck employees.
I've seen it every sailing.
It's fascinating.

This rarely happens on other lines fwiw.

Last edited:
We were told that the second stateroom host is not an assistant but rather another stateroom host as well. They told us that in concierge, that the two hosts each have their own rooms but they work together to get them done.

We were told that the second stateroom host is not an assistant but rather another stateroom host as well. They told us that in concierge, that the two hosts each have their own rooms but they work together to get them done.

On our first Concierge cruise our stateroom host introduced the assistant as his assistant. I never saw him doing the same duties that our host did, either in our room or elsewhere. This may have changed since that first cruise, but our last three Concierge cruises it appeared to be the same pattern.

I hope they are because I really appreciate their service. If the average tip is $200/stateroom on the Fantasy, each host is making more than $10,000/month.

Are you tipping that much per person, or is that for your entire family, and if the latter, for how many people? To put things in perspective, it may help to break it down to a per person level.
Oh good point, I am tipping that much for 4 people ...although we have 2 rooms, a 1-bedroom suite, and the adjoining room, which had 2 somewhat messy 25 year olds in it lol

I think we did $200 for a 7nt in may. We used them very little but still appreciated the service. I think we gave $40 to the bartender.

I don't remember how much but we gave our stateroom host, Lawrence, a bigger tip. It wasn't just the bigger room thing, he was outstanding.

We were all set to book a cruise at concierge level but then saw this thread. Three pages on just figurin' tips? :teacher: We can't handle that level of stress. :)

We were all set to book a cruise at concierge level but then saw this thread. Three pages on just figurin' tips? :teacher: We can't handle that level of stress. :)

It's really quite simple but some make it more complicated than it needs to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter