Tipping at the Poly?

precious2flh

Mouseketeer
Please help.
Our family is leaving in 1.5 weeks for 5 night at the Poly. We have NEVER stayed in a delux type resort and have a question about tipping...

How much and when do we tip the peron or persons handling our luggage and how many people do we tip?

Is it extra for valet parking at the Poly? We are thinking of parking in the regular parking lot and rolling our own luggage up to our room. Will we look out of place and can we pull up front to unload ourselves?

Thanks for all the help!

How much and when do we tip the peron or persons handling our luggage and how many people do we tip?

The standard is usually $2/bag for the person who delivers them to your room... As far as the person unloading your car, that's up to you...

Is it extra for valet parking at the Poly? We are thinking of parking in the regular parking lot and rolling our own luggage up to our room. Will we look out of place and can we pull up front to unload ourselves?

Yes, it is extra for Valet at the Polynesian. What I would recommend (which is what my wife & I did the last time we stayed at the Polynesian) is that you pull up to the front, they will unload your luggage for you. You can then go park your car in the lot. Go inside, check in... if your room is ready, you can go back outside and one of the bellhops will drive you and your luggage to your room! If your room is not ready, your luggage will be put in storage until it is (you can still get to it if you need something out of it). If your room is not ready, you can go do other things, then come back. You can either go right to your room and call for your luggage, or go back to the valet stand outside and again, they will drive you and your luggage to your room! (I recommmend this as they will give you a tour of the resort as well). You are certainly welcome to drag your own bags and have seen people do this as well. Just doesn't seem like the "vacation" thing to do for us though!!! Anyway, enjoy your stay!

We tip the valet person who gets them out of the car/limo a flat $1 per bag.

We tip the bell person a little different. 2-4 bags would get $5, 6-8 would get $10, and more than that, well, I can't imagine ever having that much luggage!!

Housekeeping gets $5 per day (three of us), and turndown is $2 per day. Housekeeping making a room delivery (extra pillows, coffeemaker, etc. gets $2, unless we've asked for more than one item, and it goes up from there.

Concierge doesn't get tipped cash, but I always leave a box of Godiva's to share on the last day.

If we valet park, we give $2 each time we pick up the car, more if it's bad weather.

It's fine to park in the lot and bring your own luggage in. It's even OK to drop it in the front and have one person wait with it while the other parks the car. It is NOT OK to take a luggage cart, load on your own luggage and use it to get your stuff to the room.

They do charge for valet parking, $6. It used to be free, but too many took advantage of "free parking" to avoid paying at the parks. Too bad, the rotten apples spoiled it for everyone.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter