Tipping at buffet meals

Mickey ears all my years

Earning My Ears
are we supposed to tip at buffet meals such as 1900 Park Fare. I've never eaten at one before and I'm not sure if a tip will be expected as we will be grabbing our own food.

Yes, you should still tip. Some people tip less for the reason you state, but I actually think the servers work just as hard at buffets as they are constantly keeping the table clear. We would normally leave the usual 15-20% depending on standard of service.

Yes, you should still tip. Some people tip less for the reason you state, but I actually think the servers work just as hard at buffets as they are constantly keeping the table clear. We would normally leave the usual 15-20% depending on standard of service.
Agreed. The only one I haven't is the Dessert Party, and the Breakfast at Early Morning Magic, as there is no-one really to tip.

Agreed with both previous posters

Buffet can even be actually more work than regular service.

Depending on how many times you return to the buffet (new plate each time) the waiter might come 2 or 3 times more often than at a regular 2 course meal. It's just that you won't notice since you won't be there. But you'd be so glad to find that your table has been cleared when you return with your next plate of food

On our last trip we tipped the usual percent but I have read since then that "officially" you can tip just $1 pp at buffets :confused3

I've often found service by the waiters to be better at the buffets. We have even given the 20% tip at Boma before as our waiter was constantly over refilling drinks, taking the used plates and being extremely attentive.

I read that as "constantly over-refilling drinks" and pictured him just pouring coffee absentmindedly while it spilled all over the table.

We tip the same as we would at any other restaurant, 18-20% depending on how good the service is.

Our first trip I'll admit we didn't tip.
Next trip-we gave a nominal figure..

Our last trip to boma though-they got the biggest tip of our holiday as they went way over,above & beyond.
They were amazing.

Tusker house-not so much...

Wow, Virgin Holidays! I guess they just proved even more so that they are not experts then.

But then, given the paragraph above warns against throwing your money away on tickets, then they charge the earth for them, I shouldn't be surprised really....

Interestingly, having had a little search of their website, I found this:

Tipping
Tipping is essential to most American restaurants and hotels and is a more important part of US culture than in Europe. It is usual to leave a 15% tip at most bars and restaurants and with taxis, while airport porters expect $1 per bag and hotel chambermaids $1 per person per day. Some restaurants do add an automatic service charge for groups of 6 or more, so check your bill carefully before tipping.

So, that doesn't say anything about buffets but states 15%, not the 18% in the article you quoted above. I think I will stick with my (fair) way of doing it.

And I'll add : since when has VH become an offical source of policies ?

the only "official" thing you'll see, is written in plain text on your buffet dining receipt : "PAY YOUR SERVER" and below that, 3 tip suggestions, 15, 18, and 20% with the associated value pertaining to your bill

that's the only kind of "official" I'll take.

Tipping
Tipping is essential to most American restaurants and hotels and is a more important part of US culture than in Europe. It is usual to leave a 15% tip at most bars and restaurants and with taxis, while airport porters expect $1 per bag and hotel chambermaids $1 per person per day. Some restaurants do add an automatic service charge for groups of 6 or more, so check your bill carefully before tipping.

According to the agreement between Disney and the Unions, housekeeping is not a tipped position at Disney. Many tip anyway, but it's not like for restaurants where the server pay is very low because it's expected they get the rest from tips.

According to the agreement between Disney and the Unions, housekeeping is not a tipped position at Disney. Many tip anyway, but it's not like for restaurants where the server pay is very low because it's expected they get the rest from tips.

I am well aware of that, thank you :) If you read my post, you'll see I was posting this as an example of how the information on their website/app differed completely, not because I was saying that VH are a useful source of tipping info. I also preceded that with saying they are not experts....but thanks for your post :)

I am well aware of that, thank you :) If you read my post, you'll see I was posting this as an example of how the information on their website/app differed completely, not because I was saying that VH are a useful source of tipping info. I also preceded that with saying they are not experts....but thanks for your post :)

I was quoting that part as another example of a wrong information.

I was in virgin holidays once and the 'sales assistant' was informing the customers they could go to ts restaurants with cs credits (had booked port Orleans riverside)!!!!
I could hear the whole nonsense

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter