Tipping and Treats for movers?

fifthdimensiondweller

DIS Veteran
Hi all!

We are moving this Saturday and I was wondering how much to tip our movers? Additionally, I'd like to provide snacks and drinks for them, but I wasn't sure how much was appropriate for this either?

A little about our move in case it makes a difference:

-We are moving ten miles away from our current apartment
-We are moving from a 1 bedroom apartment to a 2 bedroom apartment.
-Our movers will only be taking furniture. Very few (less than 10) boxes, as we'll move most of them ourselves.
-Our move is estimated to take 2-3 hours

Should I get pizza, or is just chips and drinks good? How much should I tip each mover?

Thanks!

I've used hired movers several times on both local moves and cross country ones. The cross country ones have always been better, less stuff broken. I would actually tip the opposite way, I would tip each person because sometimes the head person does not share. Just $20 each, have a couple bottles of water for them and don't worry about food or snacks. The worst local moving company we hired ended up bring day laborers from the Home Depot parking lot, who were very nice but not at all housebroken. They used the bathrooms and literally peed ALL over them. I didn't find that nice surprised until after I had tipped them.

My neighbors just moved. One of our other elderly neighbors baked the movers cookies. The family moving had a deep freezer with lots of deer meat that the movers gladly took. My last move, I think I tipped $60 and there were three moves. It was a rather small move of just my secondary apartment with very little furnishings, not my entire five bedroom home.

For your move, snacks and water should be good. I like to tip each person individually.

We moved last year out of a 3 story townhome. They had a lot to do so we did provide pizza, water, and a sizable tip since that move was a beast.

Maybe I'm the only stick in the mud, but I wouldn't tip until after they are done. It's a service tip for a job well done, because they do have wages. But $10-$20 seems perfect for that type of job.

We move a lot.......a lot (military). We usually provide drinks and lunch/dinner. The movers are always so grateful. If it’s during the summer, I have a cooler with water or Gatorade they can grab whenever they want. If they do a fantastic job, we do tip $10/20. I agree about giving the tip to each mover as I’ve heard of the head guy taking it all before

I've used movers twice. The first time I didn't even think of tipping ahead of time, so I didn't have cash. I ended up writing each guy a check for $15. I guess money is money, but I was embarrassed. When we moved again a few years later, I made sure I had cash and we gave them $20 each.

Water and maybe snacks sure, that's just common courtesy.
I never know whom to tip anymore.
I was raised that a tip was a thank you to a minimum wage service worker. I have no idea what non-union movers make, but looking up the starting wage for union movers here, it's $36.53 an hour, so despite the hard work, that's above the level that I feel a tip is necessary.

Water and maybe snacks sure, that's just common courtesy.
I never know whom to tip anymore.
I was raised that a tip was a thank you to a minimum wage service worker. I have no idea what non-union movers make, but looking up the starting wage for union movers here, it's $36.53 an hour, so despite the hard work, that's above the level that I feel a tip is necessary.
Wow, general googling on movers salaries results in $10-$15/hour. Location and Unions matter.

We usually tipped our movers $20-$30 each as well as provided pizza and sodas. If it was an all day move including load and unload at new house, then we might also include donuts. Ours would be for a whole house move too if that matters.

**Our movers were hired from Uhaul or Craigslist and since we did around town moves we were usually able to hire the same crew each time. [...darn rental life in overpriced community...]

That’s definitely not the norm. Hahaha! I didn’t even make $18/hr as a new nurse. Our chick fil as pay more like $8/hr.
Minimum wage in California is $11 but most of the fast food places pay more to retain employees. The cost of training was an issue if they have high turnover.
When did you make $18 an hour as a nurse? My mom retired as an RN in 1985 and starting pay scale then was $25. It's $56 an hour now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!