Tipping a party host for a kids birthday party?

Actually, party hosts do get paid much like waiters. I am a party host and we only get paid $5 an hour, so we rely heavily on tips. Party hosts actually do more than you think. Especially when it comes to cleaning. Kids make such a huge mess and it takes at least 30 minutes to clean. Also we get taxed on our tips.

I have never tipped for my kids' parties (skating, jumpy place, Michael's, ect). Not that I wouldn't, but I honestly never thought about it. I agree that tipping is out of control. If the workers are making waitress wages, then yes. I always go above and beyond at those parties so the host/hostess doesnt have to do much anyway.

I have never tipped for my kids' parties (skating, jumpy place, Michael's, ect). Not that I wouldn't, but I honestly never thought about it. I agree that tipping is out of control. If the workers are making waitress wages, then yes. I always go above and beyond at those parties so the host/hostess doesnt have to do much anyway.
They’d much rather you let them do their job and tip appropriately than have their job done by you and waste 2 hours of their time for little money.

They’d much rather you let them do their job and tip appropriately than have their job done by you and waste 2 hours of their time for little money.

I don't let them waste their time and they do help. I meant I don't let the kids trash the place and leave it for them to clean up after the party. With the parties I have been to the workers rotate jobs so I do not think they are getting paid any less to host a party versus working the check-in desk.

I also tip about $20.00 per helper whether at a place that serves food or swimming or arts and crafts place.
I worked in tipping positions during my misspent youth and don't forget.

I absolutely tip, it would never occur to me not to. Usually $20 if there’s two of them, $30 if there is just one.

My daughter is a party host at a local entertainment venue and makes under minimum wage. They have to clock in 45 minutes before the party and stay for at least half an hour after at that rate. They get part of the automatic gratuity added to the package but share it with the busboys. Usually she gets tipped about $20 on an average party, more if it's a bigger group.

Her tips for being an awesome parent who brings their child there:
1. Don't try to do everything, it's the host's job to make it easy for you
2. Don't bring an ice cream cake as they aren't allowed to put them back in the cooler after they are cut (health code)
3. In fact, bring cupcakes! So much easier to serve on little tables to excited kids
4. Don't let your childless uncle/brother etc. hit on the (underage) party host :mad:
5. BE ON TIME

PHXscuba

As a party host I might be personally biased, but I think tipping really depends on how much the host has to do. If they’re not doing much (just bringing and serving food, cleaning up), don’t tip much (~$10-$15). But if they’re standing the whole party, running around and making sure you have everything, tip more (~$25-$30). My job as a party host was to do everything—set up, clean up, get food and drinks, give kids wristbands (I work at a jumping place). I also worked alone (the only host for a whole party). I walked them parents to the cashier and usually outside to help loading gifts. If you leave your party either saying “wow! I barely had to do anything. the host was great!” tip a lot. We do get paid minimum wage but we also work our asses off, and usually stay after we’re supposed to leave cleaning (I stayed back a whole extra hour today cleaning, which I wasn’t paid for since I wasn’t scheduled for it). Even if the host was just okay or you’re unsure, tip around $20. Definitely makes our day when we get a nice tip for hard work! :)

Maybe it's regional. I would always tip, if the kid was awful the minimum would probably be $10. Generally $20 per person unless they really go above and beyond.

As a party host I might be personally biased, but I think tipping really depends on how much the host has to do. If they’re not doing much (just bringing and serving food, cleaning up), don’t tip much (~$10-$15). But if they’re standing the whole party, running around and making sure you have everything, tip more (~$25-$30). My job as a party host was to do everything—set up, clean up, get food and drinks, give kids wristbands (I work at a jumping place). I also worked alone (the only host for a whole party). I walked them parents to the cashier and usually outside to help loading gifts. If you leave your party either saying “wow! I barely had to do anything. the host was great!” tip a lot. We do get paid minimum wage but we also work our asses off, and usually stay after we’re supposed to leave cleaning (I stayed back a whole extra hour today cleaning, which I wasn’t paid for since I wasn’t scheduled for it). Even if the host was just okay or you’re unsure, tip around $20. Definitely makes our day when we get a nice tip for hard work! :)

Lol I think my son works at the same place you are describing. He loves doing Parties. So much what started as a part time job at 16, now 4 years later is a part-time weekend job only doing Parties b/c he has a full-time job.
That being said, he gets anywhere from $15-150 for tip. Yep, he's gotten over $100 at least a dozen times. He busts his butt & is with the kids or setting things up so Parents don't have to do anything. He gets paid minimum wage, I think $12 an hour. I agree with heylookitssarah above. Tip well if the Host was amazing and let Managers know, tip around $20 if they were ok.

I always tip 20% but my only job outside of the government was as a teenager. I was a char-hop making $1.85 an hour plue tips. Never forgot that. I taught the girls the importance of tipping as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter