Tink-ering around OC beach half marathon

Blue Caterpillar

DIS Veteran
This is my second attempt at both a training journal and running the tink half marathon. I am quite the lurker and have been reading these boards for quite awhile and have learned much. I live in a very rural place and I sometime feel that I am running in a vacumn, as I don't really have any one to talk running with, so comments will be greatly appreciated. I am the overly proud owner of an overly proud elderly pug. My favorite ride is the Haunted Mansion, especially with the NBC overlay. Also I love riding the teacups at night. My favorite Dis movie is Beauty and the Beast and I can not wait until the live action movie comes out. I love finding things when I run.

I had to defer my entry to the Tink half due to having to get a new sewer line. I was very grateful to this board to get a heads up on when the deferras were open. It was kind of a blessing in disguise, as i ended up getting quite ill and then not being able to run for awhile due to non running health stuff. I must admit I did do some wallowing for awhile this summer. Originally I was doing a fairly ambitious plan for me to try to get a PR for a half this october. One silver lining was that I did lose about 8 lbs and I have managed to keep it off. I would love to lose about 6 more but I find it quite hard to lose when I increase my milage. So I have decided to adjust my goals, I plan on running my first marathon in Jan with no time goal other than finishing. I am using Hal hidgons novice 2 program. And since I am not fast there is still a chance of a PR for the half.

So basicallly my goals for the next 19 weeks are: stay healthy, have fun and to not miss training runs and i am hoping this journal will help with that.

So this past week was a bit of a mixed bag for me. It was last week of base building before I begin the Novice 2 Marathon program from Hal Higdon. I was hoping that the marathon I chose, which I am pretty sure will be Rock n Roll phoenix marathon, would be the same day as the WDW marathon, but alas it is a week later.

My goals this week were pretty simple, do the mileage and try to figure out something to eat pre run. Since I usually run pretty early in the morning to beat the heat and all, I don't normally mess with bf as most of time the milage isn't enough to warrant having to.

Monday - 2 mi
Tuesday - 4 mi
Thursday- 5 mi
Saturday - 7 mi.

Monday and tuesday went well. Nice and easy, though tues was a bit faster than I was planning. It was a lot cooler that morning so I think it just felt easier.

Thrusday I decided to try and eat something- half a white flour tortilla, with peanut butter. During the run it felt like it congealed into a rock in my belly. Also most of the run was a gentle uphill, but still uphill. And I left later than normal so it was hot and humid and I stuggled.

Friday I woke up and found my TMJ had decided to rear its ugly head. I have a pretty bad problem with it and sometimes it gives me lot of pain. And running (along with talking, smiling and eating) hurts quite a bit as the going up and down. So on saturday, I decided to skip my run and hope for the best. Since Hal Hidgon starts with monday as a rest day, I haven't ran for a few days and am trying to convince myself it is a blessing in disguise to start the program rested, instead of freaking out I won't be able to stick to the plan before it even started.

I bought some bevita's to to try eat for pre-run tmrw but I may just have to drink part of an ensure as my jaw is feeling better but sore. And next time I get into town, I need to pick up some gels.

Good news, was sent my deferral link for tinkerbell, so I can re-registrar tomorrow!

Well this has been a loooong time since I updated. So long in fact I briefly considered making a new journal and pretending this never existed, even making a new avatar but in the end I thought it is all part of it. I consider my lurker level to be expert and have been following this board and main rundisney board almost daily.

I did run 2017 tink. I was woefully undertrained for my liking. The wheels kinda fell off not too long after my last post. I had a change in job responsibilities and I felt underqualified, and stressed out about it.im not too great with really sticking with a training plan to be honest. I've always been a consistent runner if somewhat haphazard. I'm an anxious sort and so far running has been the best at keeping it in control. Often I go out with no real agenda. Tink snuck up on me, though how a race that I was literally planning on for over a year did that I have no real excuse . I did Galloway method during the race and was surprised how was able to do, as it was my first time with that method. I was so worried about finishing that I didn't stop for any pictures which I completely regretted. That and I am pretty sure I finished close to @roxymama but was too shy to say hi. So hi! I loved the weekend, but wanted to redo it.

I hatched a plan to get a year pass, and starting with light side try to do all the Disneyland races, being in az it's not too far. I was devasted when they were cancelled (postponed?) More then I should have been. I'd been in a bit of a funk, and that was what I was really looking forward to. Maybe a bit of a midlife crisis? I havent had a real plan for life, besides travel which i have been lucky enough to do. That seemed ok in my 20s even early 30s but now as i approach 40, i cant help but think maybe i should have been more foward thinking. My sis says 38 is too young but a quick internet search says I'm in the range. Who can doubt the wisdom of Google ?

And so, to get me out of my head and focus on something I have decided to try to go for marathon weekend 2019. I once thought I would like to do dopey, but this will be my first visit to wdw and I want more park time. I'm considering goofy as i will be 39 then it seems fitting. There is a marathon in Albuquerque in Sept I am planning to do as well.

A fresh start awaits!

So in my considerable woe for the loss of Disneyland races, I have been searching for something else and discovered the beach cities challenge. You run a race in oc, long beach, and surf city then yoh get an awesome bonus medal. I've signed up for the oc half which is may 6. So close to the time when tink would have been. Also I get a sneaky day in Disneyland! And hyperspace mountain will be back I am trying to decide if I could bring my medal (assuming I finish) for character pics, since that was my big regret for tink. I will be going completely solo, but only have to miss one day of work. I'm a little nervous, I've travelled quite a bit alone but always with others before to Disney.

I finally saw black panther! I really loved it. Guardians of the galaxy are still my favorite marvel.

Running as always sporadic, but I have started working on more formal plan. I think I will Galloway it, I am not sure i have enough time to work up for a continuous half. Prob a short run today, and officially begin tmrw!

Great choice! DH and I have done the Beach Cities Challenge three times. The OC 1/2 is a really fun race. Do you already have lodging lined up?
That's good to hear! I do, I booked at one of the host hotels, ayers since I will be car less, I needed a shuttle for the expo.

Have you done the marathon at any of them?

That's good to hear! I do, I booked at one of the host hotels, ayers since I will be car less, I needed a shuttle for the expo.

Have you done the marathon at any of them?

Ok, good to hear you'll be using the shuttle! If you end up doing OC again, the Marriot is fantastic as the start line is right in front of the hotel. We roll out of bed, throw our running stuff on, and head out right before. We also love being able to walk to Fashion Island for dinner the night before. Either way, you'll definitely want to be taking the shuttle back to your hotel from the finish line. Getting out of the fairgrounds parking lot with your own car after the race is a nightmare, but the shuttles are easy peasy.

The OC Marathon was my first full. It was ok, but I still have hard feelings toward it (mostly because of my own rookie mistakes:laughing:). I also have done the Surf City full, and I loved it! Surf City is definitely my favorite race of the three. The Long Beach half is my least favorite and one of my least favorite 1/2s ever, so I absolutely refuse to do the full. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!