Time For River Country To Be Developed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is that?
yesndil,

For the last few years, several of us have been getting together at Gulf State Park. I had to miss this year due to a work commitment, but the GSP DIS Meet 2018 just wrapped up. We already have plans for 2019 back at GSP, but there was discussion about having DIS Meet 2020 at the Fort. HERE is a link to the GSP 2018 thread where it is discussed. Conversation is about possibly moving the dates from Memorial Week to October.

j

Fellow Fort friends,
Found this article on the net. Thought it was an interesting read. It seems as though our secret is getting out more and more. With all this publicity about the Fort and more people taking advantage of OUR amenities, Disney may have to expand the Fort. @bama_ed, did you mention a "Camp Davey Crocket"?:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

A couple of quotes from the article.

This resort would definitely expose more guests (us included) to the greatness that is Fort Wilderness. I also like its location relative to key Fort Wilderness amenities, as it would make those more accessible.

Part of what makes Fort Wilderness so special is that it’s been relatively undisturbed by time, and is one of the last bastions of “Vacation Kingdom” Walt Disney World. It’s almost remarkable how different Fort Wilderness feels from the rest of Walt Disney World–even its neighbor, Wilderness Lodge.

There’s a very legitimate concern, especially after seeing how the Copper Creek and Boulder Ridge projects at Wilderness Lodge unfolded, that any expansion at Fort Wilderness will destroy some of the primitive and secluded characteristics of the campground that give it so much appeal.

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/new-hotels-fort-wilderness-epcot-entrance/

Steve

It seems as though our secret is getting out more and more. With all this publicity about the Fort and more people taking advantage of OUR amenities, Disney may have to expand the Fort. @bama_ed, did you mention a "Camp Davey Crocket"?:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Yes I did, Steve. As I said in the past, at Disneyland Paris there is a resort called "Camp Davy Crockett" which is basically only the FW cabins and a pool/restaurant/office complex (no campsites). The Europeans view campers differently than Americans do and because they have very high gas prices and very small RV's and campers as a result, campsites aren't in much demand. Plus they have a different point of view on tent campers in a land where land is more in demand and thus higher priced.

I've been to DLP three times in my life and would like to make it over to Camp Davy Crockett just to see it but it is far away from the other DLP resorts so I haven't made it. But here is their webbie:

http://www.disneylandparis.com/en-us/hotels/disneys-davy-crockett-ranch/

(the name has changed slightly over the years since I've been following it - now it's "the Ranch").

Honestly, the Fort DVC plans were drawn up so long ago (6-8 years) that it almost makes sense to reexamine the design and see if it's the right theme/price/fit for the time and place in the near future. Plus I think with all the new work going in over at EPCOT (new Guardians, Ratatouille, etc.) that an entrance resort there might be higher visibility. So Disney could start an Epcot DVC/resort project while they redesign a Fort DVC/resort project. I have advocated/aggravated for a Fort expansion with pull throughs, etc. across Vista Boulevard from the current FW entrance. But the business case won't allow it, I bet.

Although the article you linked used a phrase I've used before on this topic: The Disney DVC project is a beast that must be fed. Must be continually fed. Must keep bringing in the cash flow for the share holders. Always.

But I think you, me, and everyone else would agree with the author that the Fort is a chunk of the old days of WDW and if a resort was plunked down right next door, the vibe would be negatively changed.

Call me old fashioned. Thanks for sharing.

Bama Ed

Some other quotes I noted:
I believe that Walt Disney World should continue to build hotels to satisfy current and future demand, lest we want to see rack rates driven up to stratospheric levels.

Uh...where you been? We already passed that point and no amount of DVC is gonna slow it down from what we've seen.

While the rest of it I do agree with. It will be a shame to see a DVC ruin what I enjoy most about FW.

My pet peeve is how the parking lot encroaches so close to guest areas of the Fort especially since these two resorts probably won’t share an access road. I think there’s plenty of space towards WL or in the area where the 2000 loop bus goes backstage.

Gotcha covered there, buddy.

Here is one of many past threads on this topic but tiggerdad posted a map of the proposed resort that has Pioneer Hall right in the middle.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/if-there-were-a-fw-vacation-club.3478457/#post-55063088 look at post #9.

Here is his map. You can clearly see loops 100, 400, and 700 in the lower right quadrant. Some details like the current FW dock are faded out to highlight the new additions:

View attachment 307206

You can see the TCD Horse Barn is gone and the new pavilion for the BBQ in the upper right near Bay Lake. And that is a BIG paved parking space in the middle.

Bama Ed

PS - yeah, there have been lots of threads and drawings posted on this in the past....

Ed, I’m still scratching my head. Looking at the attachment, why does the DVC parking lot need to be so close to the FW marina? No one will ever want to use FW’s front parking lot for anything FW related again.

It’s premium almost waterfront parking. Better than even WL. However, FW guests will still be required to use internal shuttles, purchase golf carts, etc. If they were so “nature inspired,” they’d come up with plan to keep vehicles far away, encourage the use of bikes, carts, and trails. It would help profits, as well.

1) I am certain the new DVC will bring WDW a fortune.
2) I am also certain it will bring the reduction of the ambience of The Fort.
. . . the new DVC is so close to The Fort, that folks will too easily walk to The Fort
. . . campers and RVers are a different breed of guest, and DVC folks will simply be MORE TOURISTS

3) OK, I fully admit that I am biased, but my firm beliefs are
. . . DVC TOURISTS will not so cordially meet and greet each other as RVers do
. . . DVC TOURISTS will walk or visit the loops for the scenery, and not necessarily to actually meet other folks
. . . DVC TOURISTS will allow their kids to run rampant and/or be loud and noisy (especially at the pools and pay areas), like at other DVC resorts
. . . DVC TOURISTS seem to believe they Have-A-Right to demand (and sometimes rudely) demand things, since they "own" the leased timeshare
. . . DVC TOURISTS do not have the same respect for, and courtesy toward, even dedicated CMs as do the RVers at The Fort

NOTE:
I will be very pleased if I am wrong in my assumptions and beliefs, but I have worked at every DVC, except The Poly.
Every point in Item #3, above, I have witnessed personally.

I am glad I am retired and no longer work at The Fort and have to see this.

Rusty,

I am convinced I will come out of my Aliner in 100 loop one morning and find two guys sitting out under my canopy enjoying the beautiful nature after having already helped themselves to my stocked, outdoor adult cooler (it's five o'clock somewhere). Oh sure, they could sit on their tiny balconies with their backs to a dull huge wall that absorbs all the sound. Or they could listen through the walls to the sounds of their neighbors getting ready for the day in a theme park. They'll be in bath robes and slippers. Of course they'll admire my peaceful surrounding and muse longingly about their regret at staying at a resort. They'll try to make small talk about the options of the Aliner, its features and towing characteristics but I won't buy it for a minute.

After turning around and heading back inside, i'll get my Red Ryder Sure Shot BB Gun which is an "official Red Ryder, carbine action, 200-shot, range model air rifle, with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time".

a-christmas-story-bb-gun.jpg

After that I'll be heading back to the Full loops to see if there is a vacancy in 1600 loop.

MV5BMmZkMzMyYTItZmU2MS00ZGUwLWJiNDAtNDQ4MDA5NmNiY2MzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDU4MDA0NTM@._V1_.jpg

Don't want no resort/dvc squatters in my campsite. :sad2:

Bama Ed

Ed you be careful with that weapon For sure. " You'll shoot your eye out Kid''.
TRS I couldn't agree with you more on each of your points. What makes it worse is DISNEY Mgt is bending over backwards to cater to DVC members with the rest of us ranked by where we choose to stay. Walt would be disappointed there was a reason he opted for a campground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter