Tiffins and Jiko in the same day?

1st*toright

DIS Veteran
Best idea ever, or too similar?

I'm thinking about doing the Rivers of Light dining package for lunch (more like brunch) at Tiffins, then a late dinner at Jiko after Rivers of Light.

Are dining packages for ROL still a good idea, or have crowds died down? Its kind of a spendy day - if the dining package isn't needed (i.e. we could get into standby without waiting more than a half hour) we might just do lunch a Nomad Lounge instead of at Tiffins.

This is for October, BTW, and an adults only trip.

Can't advise about the ROL dining packages but I have eaten at both Jiko and Tiffins. While I enjoyed both restaurants and would gladly dine in them again, I prefer not to do them on the same day. They are a bit similar and there are so many other good restaurants to try so you can mix it up a bit.

I would do different days. They're both signature experiences and you want it to feel special, not just another meal during the day. The ROL package is definitely the way to go if you plan on ordering the most expensive items. It's a win-win in savings and guaranteeing a seat for ROL.

Nomad Lounge is a bit different than other signature bars, as it does not serve the same menu as Tiffins. It's an absolutely fantastic bar though. The ribs are absolutely delicious and not that expensive.

We did Tiffins' ROL package for dinner last month, the ROL show seating positioning was good and the dining package area was pleasant until they crammed leftover standby into it. CMs doing the seating didn't communicate directions well and communicated conflicting directions.

IMO The show itself was meh, at best, and 10 minutes too long. We saw it, checked it off and won't bother returning for the foreseeable future.

Trudging through the poorly lit park with the horde when it ended wasn't exactly pleasant either.

Our Tiffin's experience was generally crappy in both food quality, service, and Oliver Twist-level portion sizes in some cases smaller than some of the things I've had at Victoria and Albert's 7 and/or 10 course menus.

We'll be giving it one more chance next December for lunch before potentially crossing it off our list for the foreseeable future.

We are also planning on Jiko for dinner with Tiffins for lunch on that particular day.

Nomad was great and wasn't crowded at all but that was pre-pandora. Some other threads have mentioned that Nomad Lounge CMs arent used to the capacity yet since Pandora opened and service has gotten slow. I'd suggest the Mustang Coffee, one of the best drinks I had the whole trip.

Last edited:

We did Tiffin's ROL package for dinner last month, the ROL show seating positioning was good and the dining package area was pleasant until they crammed leftover standby into it. CMs doing the seating didn't communicate directions well and communicated conflicting directions.

IMO The show itself was meh, at best, and 10 minutes too long. We saw it, checked it off and won't bother returning for the foreseeable future.

Trudging through the poorly lit park with the horde when it ended wasn't exactly pleasant either.

Our Tiffin's experience was generally crappy in both food quality, service, and Oliver Twist-level portion sizes in some cases smaller than some of the things I've had at Victoria and Albert's 7 and/or 10 course menus.

Hmmm, maybe we will give ROL a miss, then. I've been wanting to try Tiffins, but we don't necessarily need a huge lunch - (3 courses would still be a lot, even if each course isn't entirely satisfying). Snacks at Nomad's would likely be plenty for us, and would give us more flexibility in timing. The only reason we were going to make it to Tiffins this trip is to get the ROL package - its a short trip - not excited about lining up for a long time for a short, meh show. Your point about not leaving with the hoards is also a good one. Maybe we will bump our Jiko res a little earlier, watch some of the tree of life awakenings on our way out of the park and call it good.

Hmmm, maybe we will give ROL a miss, then. I've been wanting to try Tiffins, but we don't necessarily need a huge lunch - (3 courses would still be a lot, even if each course isn't entirely satisfying). Snacks at Nomad's would likely be plenty for us, and would give us more flexibility in timing. The only reason we were going to make it to Tiffins this trip is to get the ROL package - its a short trip - not excited about lining up for a long time for a short, meh show. Your point about not leaving with the hoards is also a good one. Maybe we will bump our Jiko res a little earlier, watch some of the tree of life awakenings on our way out of the park and call it good.

The show itself is longish but you see pretty much everything you're going to see in the first few minutes.

With the dining package you won't necessarily need to line up super early as they didnt start filling in the empty ROL section with standby until about 10 minutes before showtime. Our reservation was the latest possible dinner time with the ROL package and that basically made it so after we got out of dinner we had about an hour and 15 minutes before the show started and there was pretty much nothing we could do other than head up and get our seats.

We regretted going to Tiffins instead of Jiko for dinner this time around.

I do think doing both in the same day is a bit much. I also think ROL is worth seeing, I'm one who thinks you should see and do everything at least once and form your own opinion. Everyone has different experiences and different thoughts, for example: We tried Jinkos and thought is was one of the most over rated restaurants on property. The service was good, the food just o.k. and for the price not worth it. The bar on the other hand was great and were we ever in the area again, would probably just eat at the bar. We loved Tiffins, we had good service, we thought the portion sizes were perfect but we shared an appetizer and shared a dessert and got a side dish and shared so there is that. We enjoyed ROL, we got same day FPs in the afternoon while walking around and were in the perfect spot. We got there just as the FP line opened, we don't normally get anywhere that early but my son had hurt his back on EE and just needed to rest. He had to stand until just before the performance because sitting hurt and the CMs were great about letting him. We love Nomad lounge, one of our favorite spots on property, we normally do lunch there and share a couple of appetizers. I wouldn't get the dining package for anything, but again that is just me, I know some people really like it.

I'd do it all. It sounds like your reservations are far enough apart that you'll be adequately hungry for both.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter