Ticket vs. annual pass... seems too good to be true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever actually had a problem with this or been either denied or charged a lot extra to upgrade to a Season AP from a UT multiday-multipark ticket?

We’re thinking the same as others here. See that UT currently has 3 park, 3 day plus 2 free day tickets available. Looks for us it would be a significant savings to go that way and then do the upgrade to AP when we get there.

Like the OP we’d be there at preChristmas at the beginning of December. We’d actually potentially like to see MS concert on the Saturday. So we likely wouldn’t upgrade our tickets until we’d used 2 or 3 days on them. We’re a little nervous about going this route, if it doesn’t work out at the guest services. As international visitors we are offered the option of an “unlimited” length of stay ticket up to 14 days, which is slightly cheaper than an AP. So if there’s a history of US being finicky about this or it really depending on the CM you end up with at guest services (and their mood and frustration level that day), we might just take the unlimited tickets and play it safe. But if this upgrade method is pretty clear cut/no problem thing, it looks like would be nearly an $800 savings for us. !!!!!!! I feel like we must be missing something.

Has anyone ever actually had a problem with this or been either denied or charged a lot extra to upgrade to a Season AP from a UT multiday-multipark ticket?

We’re thinking the same as others here. See that UT currently has 3 park, 3 day plus 2 free day tickets available. Looks for us it would be a significant savings to go that way and then do the upgrade to AP when we get there.

Like the OP we’d be there at preChristmas at the beginning of December. We’d actually potentially like to see MS concert on the Saturday. So we likely wouldn’t upgrade our tickets until we’d used 2 or 3 days on them. We’re a little nervous about going this route, if it doesn’t work out at the guest services. As international visitors we are offered the option of an “unlimited” length of stay ticket up to 14 days, which is slightly cheaper than an AP. So if there’s a history of US being finicky about this or it really depending on the CM you end up with at guest services (and their mood and frustration level that day), we might just take the unlimited tickets and play it safe. But if this upgrade method is pretty clear cut/no problem thing, it looks like would be nearly an $800 savings for us. !!!!!!! I feel like we must be missing something.

So the 3 park plus 2 day free tickets expire sept 18th I believe, after that they are worthless. Don't buy those if you are going in december.

Yikes, thanks for spotting that clause @AntimonyER Clearly I was missing something!! Might end up too good to be true for us then. I have seen from other internationals who took the unlimited tickets on offer that they were able to upgrade to AP at a small fee (or sometimes a very small refund - but, hey, I’d take $10 back no problem! Snack!). I’ll have to crunch the numbers again. I’m not sure the AP room discount would be much good to us as we’re just looking at Cabana Bay - and you have to buy into the unlimited ticket at a package booking (not just a room). Not sure the discount would be enough to make it worth it to just go the AP route immediately. Geez. Math. Not my strong point. You can get some good discounts but you seem to really have to search and book piecemeal to get them (and number crunch, number crunch! Number crunch! - even more with the exchange rate!). Thanks for the help and the extra eyes on that one!

To extra clarify with the number crunching, is it a 2-day or 3-day pass they generally are good about upgrading to a Seasonal AP without an up charge?

The 2 free tickets will not have a monetary value

The 3 day 3 park tickets will have a value to them if you plan to upgrade to the ap

I booked Hard Rock Hotel from 3 Feb 2019- 6 Feb 2019 and bought 2 park/3 day tickets.

I'm looking at possibly upgrading to season passes. If I do that will I lose unlimited express pass and early entry that I have for staying at HRH?

No. That comes with your hotel stay regardless of your ticket.

About 3 months out, check to see if there is an APH rate at your hotel.

You do not have to have it in hand when you check in, you just have to show it by checkout to keep that rate.

We upgraded our UT tickets last week to seasonal passes, and were able to do it at the ticket help desk in the Royal Pacific lobby. There was no wait, and it only took a few minutes. I’m guessing that all of the Universal hotels could do this, and it may save some time.

We upgraded our UT tickets last week to seasonal passes, and were able to do it at the ticket help desk in the Royal Pacific lobby. There was no wait, and it only took a few minutes. I’m guessing that all of the Universal hotels could do this, and it may save some time.

What kind of ticket did you upgrade? Was there a cost?

What kind of ticket did you upgrade? Was there a cost?
I had bought the promotional 3+2 free days tickets including Volcano Bay from UT (the ones that expire in September). We hadn't intended to upgrade them originally, but after we used them for a few days we asked at the hotel ticket counter out of curiosity, and it was $44 per ticket to upgrade to the seasonal 3 park passes. I'll be honest, there probably was a cheaper way to do it, but we were happy with the upgrade price, and we LOVED Volcano Bay, so our use would probably be Volcano Bay combined with a beach trip or something.

purchased tickets from Undercover tourist about 2 years ago. They are 2 days +2 days free tickets. Is there a way to figure out what the cost would be to upgrade to an AP? Do I use what I paid for them two years ago or will they give me credit for a 2 day ticket or a 4 day ticket at today's rate? thanks

purchased tickets from Undercover tourist about 2 years ago. They are 2 days +2 days free tickets. Is there a way to figure out what the cost would be to upgrade to an AP? Do I use what I paid for them two years ago or will they give me credit for a 2 day ticket or a 4 day ticket at today's rate? thanks

They will probably give you credit for at least a 2 day ticket at current gate prices. If you are very lucky you will get credit for 4 but I wouldn't count on it. What does the ticket say? Does it say it is a 2 day ticket or a 4 day ticket or does is say 2 day +2 free on it?

They will probably give you credit for at least a 2 day ticket at current gate prices. If you are very lucky you will get credit for 4 but I wouldn't count on it. What does the ticket say? Does it say it is a 2 day ticket or a 4 day ticket or does is say 2 day +2 free on it?
Going to have to pull the tickets from the safe deposit box I really can't remember for sure but want to say it said 2+2

Going to have to pull the tickets from the safe deposit box I really can't remember for sure but want to say it said 2+2

If it says 2+2, that means it was a deal directly from Universal and you will only get credit for 2 days. Check the expiration date as well.

I had bought the promotional 3+2 free days tickets including Volcano Bay from UT (the ones that expire in September). We hadn't intended to upgrade them originally, but after we used them for a few days we asked at the hotel ticket counter out of curiosity, and it was $44 per ticket to upgrade to the seasonal 3 park passes. I'll be honest, there probably was a cheaper way to do it, but we were happy with the upgrade price, and we LOVED Volcano Bay, so our use would probably be Volcano Bay combined with a beach trip or something.
So they were valued at about $340? I am thinking about doing this...

If it says 2+2, that means it was a deal directly from Universal and you will only get credit for 2 days. Check the expiration date as well.
theres no expiration date on the tickets. but we need to use them before oldest isn't a child so I don't loose out on them.

I upgraded the 2 day + 1 free UT tickets to a seasonal annual pass for no charge last week. My inlaws were doing the same but their agent tried to charge them $40 per ticket. I intervened and straightened it out. She said she did a return and repurchase instead of an upgrade.

So they were valued at about $340? I am thinking about doing this...
I'm thinking it was more like $360? Our seasonal 3 park ticket is valued at $409 or so I believe, and it was about $44-45 for each ticket we upgraded. We did it 3 different times, with 3 different people, and they all charged us the same. I'm sorry that I didn't look at or save my receipt for better details! What I think they gave us credit for was the online price for a 3 day park to park with volcano bay included

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter