Ticket upgrade question

mellvswdw1

DIS Veteran
So, I’m sorry for asking. I’m a newbie to Universal and IOA. Our kiddos are really into Harry Potter. We are DVC owners, so we come about 2 to 3 times a year. My question is if I buy a one day park to park ticket, can I upgrade it to a basic annual pass with the benefit of having paid for the one day park to park...kind of like Disney upgrades on tickets? I don’t want to spend the money on an annual pass if the rest of the parks are a bust for our kids. They tend to be picky. They are 6 and almost 4, but really tall. I’ve searched and not really found a good answer to my specific question. Thanks and sorry for a silly question in advance!

Melissa

Yes, you can upgrade to an AP. You will get credit equal to the price of your current ticket. You'd have to upgrade before leaving the parks at the end of the day.

About the price of upgrading from a ticket to an AP.... If you buy a discounted ticket through Undercover Tourist and then upgrade to an AP, do they credit what you paid UT or the value of the ticket through Universal?

So, I’m sorry for asking. I’m a newbie to Universal and IOA. Our kiddos are really into Harry Potter. We are DVC owners, so we come about 2 to 3 times a year. My question is if I buy a one day park to park ticket, can I upgrade it to a basic annual pass with the benefit of having paid for the one day park to park...kind of like Disney upgrades on tickets? I don’t want to spend the money on an annual pass if the rest of the parks are a bust for our kids. They tend to be picky. They are 6 and almost 4, but really tall. I’ve searched and not really found a good answer to my specific question. Thanks and sorry for a silly question in advance!

Melissa
One of you should upgrade to the pass with free parking - parking is $26.

About the price of upgrading from a ticket to an AP.... If you buy a discounted ticket through Undercover Tourist and then upgrade to an AP, do they credit what you paid UT or the value of the ticket through Universal?

I've seen different opinions on this. I haven't experienced it first hand but some people have said that if it's a "2 days + 2 free days" ticket, UO don't credit the "free days", others have said that they credit the total number of days. I've also read that if you have a ticket showing "2 days + 2 free days", if you enter the park first and then do the upgrade once you are in the park, it will then scan as a "4 days ticket" (i.e. don't do the upgrade at customer service outside the park).

I'll be trying it in a couple of weeks. My tickets were also from a 3rd party but they read "2 park 5 days promo" (I've read that the "+ free x days" is the issue. I'll post my results in about 3 weeks.

If your ticket says promo, they'll credit it as a 2 day ticket (or whatever the UO promo price was. For buy 2 get 3 days, that's a 2 day ticket).

Just to confirm that the previous comment is correct and 2 + X day tickets are credited as 2 day tickets, not the total number of days (I was hoping that since our tickets didn't actually say "2 + 3 days", we'd get 5 days for them but they just scan them so it didn't matter what they say; it's whatever the computer days they are ...).

In case anyone is curious, we have upgraded our tickets to annual passes but were only credited the value of 2 day tickets not 5 day tickets. I had read that this might happen but was hoping we'd get the 5 day value. I had read that it might make a difference if we first entered the park and then did the upgrade inside the park so we did that but it didn't make any difference. It didn't appear to make any difference what the tickets themselves day; they just scanned them (which presumably says 2 days + 3 days promo) and have us the value from that.

The tickets themselves day "2 pk 5 days PROMO". We recieved $284.99 credit for them and the preferred annual pass that we exchanged them for was $394.99 so had to pay $110 each.

Just to confirm that the previous comment is correct and 2 + X day tickets are credited as 2 day tickets, not the total number of days (I was hoping that since our tickets didn't actually say "2 + 3 days", we'd get 5 days for them but they just scan them so it didn't matter what they say; it's whatever the computer days they are ...).

In case anyone is curious, we have upgraded our tickets to annual passes but were only credited the value of 2 day tickets not 5 day tickets. I had read that this might happen but was hoping we'd get the 5 day value. I had read that it might make a difference if we first entered the park and then did the upgrade inside the park so we did that but it didn't make any difference. It didn't appear to make any difference what the tickets themselves day; they just scanned them (which presumably says 2 days + 3 days promo) and have us the value from that.

The tickets themselves day "2 pk 5 days PROMO". We recieved $284.99 credit for them and the preferred annual pass that we exchanged them for was $394.99 so had to pay $110 each.

Thank you so much! I think we may be in this situation in Nov.

Was $284.99 the price that you paid for each ticket? Thanks

Did you have to upgrade your tickets during the first 2 days, or can you upgrade at the end of the 2 park 5 day PROMO ticket? Since I am assuming they count your tickets as the first 2 days as the ones you paid for and the last 3 days as the PROMO. Does it matter on what day you upgrade? We have the same 2 Park 5 day PROMO tickets and I just wanted to make sure we upgrade at the right time.

Did you have to upgrade your tickets during the first 2 days, or can you upgrade at the end of the 2 park 5 day PROMO ticket? Since I am assuming they count your tickets as the first 2 days as the ones you paid for and the last 3 days as the PROMO. Does it matter on what day you upgrade? We have the same 2 Park 5 day PROMO tickets and I just wanted to make sure we upgrade at the right time.

I upgraded on day 1 because that's what worked with our schedule (we were only in Orlando for 2 days so couldn't use all the days anyway) but I should have asked if I could use 3 days and then do the upgrade (but ultimately, a day more or less doesn't make much difference with a annual pass).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!