Throw Up on the Lap Bars Please- A June 2019 TR! COMPLETED 3/1!

How Do You Get the Hippos Out of the Trees?

When we left off, we had just gotten off the monorail at the Poly with hopes of getting into Trader Sam's.

It was 3:05, meaning they had just opened 5 minutes ago.

Luck was on our side today and we were able to walk right in without waiting!

Every other time we've come, my drink choice was dictated by which souvenir cup I wanted because I have a problem. However, I had been seeing on facebook that basically all the cups had been out for months and our server confirmed that was true. While I was sad not to get some new cups I wanted, it also meant I could expand my drink choice to those without souvenir cups lol.

They did have the Pearls in stock, which was one we'd never collected because the drink isn't something I like lol so I may or may not have convinced Mike that that's what he wanted. :rolleyes1
His is the Polynesian Pearl (RumChata Cream Liqueur, Grand Marnier, and Cinnamon with Tropical Juices. The Pearl is yours to keep!) and I got Rosita's Margarita (Casamigos Reposado Tequila, Bols Orange Curaçao, fresh Lime Juice, Falernum, and Organic Agave Nectar).

I loved my drink and Mike liked his too. I tried it and I was definitely correct that it wasn't something i liked but I was glad he did!

The atmosphere at Trader Sam's is so much fun and the bartenders were telling people if you don't want an interactive experience, go upstairs to Tambu lounge. :rotfl:

There are special effects which go off when people order different drinks. My favorite is for the HippopotoMai-Tai, which is my usual go-to drink. There's hippos up in the trees and they yell "How do you get the hippos out of the trees?" and everyone yells the answer- two shots of rum!

I tried to video some of them but I was a little tipsy at this point and most of them didn't come out lol

I think I took a picture of this light because it reminded me of the ones in Navi River Journey?

We were having a great time but it was definitely time to get some food in our bellies to soak up some alcohol and luckily we had a 3:45 reservation at Ohana so we settled our tab and headed upstairs.

We were seated about 10 minutes after our reservation time and brought the delicious Ohana Pineapple-Coconut bread.

It was tasty as always and our stomachs really wanted the food but I only ate a small piece to save room for the rest of the food!

A few minutes later, the salad came.

Described by Disney as mixed greens salad with a Lilikoi dressing, it was good but nothing to write home about. I enjoyed the previous salad version much more but we weren't really here for the salad.

The appetizer platter is my favorite part of Ohana actually and that was up next!

Again, per Disney, pork dumplings tossed in a garlic-ginger sauce, honey-coriander chicken wings, teriyaki noodles and stir-fried vegetables. I find all of these things delicious but the wings and noodles are my favorites (and the two things we asked for more of :rotfl:). The skewers of steak, chicken and shrimp followed, which I failed to take any pictures of as I was too busy eating my weight in shrimp. Mike did the same except with steak and we eventually had to admit defeat.

The real star of the show is dessert though!

The famous Ohana bread pudding, served a la mode topped with caramel sauce and bananas. :love: I dream of this and would like to have some every day, even if I would weigh 400 pounds. We finished the entire thing and briefly contemplated asking for a second but decided we wouldn't be able to walk if we did lol.

After our meal, we apparently headed back downstairs before going back upstairs to go back on the monorail? I'd love to tell you I knew why butttt I have no clue. I wouldn't be surprised if it was because I saw the photopass photographer from upstairs though!

Next time: back to the Magic Kingdom for Villains After Hours!

Described by Disney as mixed greens salad with a Lilikoi dressing, it was good but nothing to write home about. I enjoyed the previous salad version much more but we weren't really here for the salad.
I much enjoyed the other version of the salad as well.

Def going to have to try and make it to Trader Sam's next month!

I'm happy to hear someone contacted you about the rude CM from the resort. It is a little weird that they were able to identify you by just your twitter account, but hopefully that results in nobody else getting treated poorly by that guy.

Your monorail bar crawl sounds like a lot of fun. Smart idea to get an Ohana's reservation after a few drinks. One of these days I'm going to make my way into Trader Sam's! It's eluded me three times so far!

Every other time we've come, my drink choice was dictated by which souvenir cup I wanted because I have a problem. However, I had been seeing on facebook that basically all the cups had been out for months and our server confirmed that was true.

Wow, really? That's a bummer :( We six mugs and would definitely like to add to our collection. I hope they aren't gone forever.

It was tasty as always and our stomachs really wanted the food but I only ate a small piece to save room for the rest of the food!

Such restraint! The bread and dessert are my favorite part of 'Ohana :love:

The real star of the show is dessert though!

😍😍😍

I wouldn't be surprised if it was because I saw the photopass photographer from upstairs though!

Cute :goodvibes

I've never seen a PP photographer here…is that new?

Even at 6am those potstickers and noodles would be divine, followed by the delicious bread pudding!!

How fun at Trader Sam’s, we have never been able to get in!

Hooray, you got into Trader Sam's! I've never been there myself (and with a non-drinking husband, I'm not sure when I'll get there!) but it would be fun to see the inside.

As another person commented, a meal full of food at 'Ohana is a GREAT idea after a monorail bar crawl! We usually manage to eat the entire dessert as well (it's SO good!), but I can't imagine ordering a second as I'm already so full of shrimp, noodles, and pot stickers at that point. ;)

It was 3:05, meaning they had just opened 5 minutes ago.

Luck was on our side today and we were able to walk right in without waiting!
Great timing!
hile I was sad not to get some new cups I wanted, it also meant I could expand my drink choice to those without souvenir cups lol.
:rotfl2: :rotfl: :lmao:
They did have the Pearls in stock, which was one we'd never collected because the drink isn't something I like lol so I may or may not have convinced Mike that that's what he wanted. :rolleyes1
Way to take one for the team, Mike!
I loved my drink and Mike liked his too. I tried it and I was definitely correct that it wasn't something i liked but I was glad he did!
Well, I'm sure that at least made you feel less guilty. If you were feeling anything at that point. :rolleyes1:lmao:
I'd love to tell you I knew why butttt I have no clue. I wouldn't be surprised if it was because I saw the photopass photographer from upstairs though!
Seems like a likely explanation, we'll go with that. Looks like a nice afternoon at the Poly! Trader Sam's looks like a lot of fun, and the Ohana dinner looks like it was a hit too!

I loved that Pearl, glad you both enjoyed the drinks. The bar tender was telling us that there is only one manufacturer that makes the tiki cups, and it takes months to have them made. That's why they've been out for so long.

I tried to video some of them but I was a little tipsy at this point and most of them didn't come out lol
:rotfl2: It's a bar crawl, I expect no less.

We were having a great time but it was definitely time to get some food in our bellies to soak up some alcohol and luckily we had a 3:45 reservation at Ohana so we settled our tab and headed upstairs.
This sounds suspiciously like our evening at the Poly, great minds and all that :thumbsup2

Sounds like a lovely visit to the Poly.

However, I had been seeing on facebook that basically all the cups had been out for months and our server confirmed that was true.

Ugh, what a bummer! I guess it's good that you tried something you actually wanted instead of just picking based on the cup, though.

A perfectly valid reason to have junk video :-)

I wouldn't be surprised if it was because I saw the photopass photographer from upstairs though!

Do you keep your PP photo count the way other people keep a ride count? It's like you have special photopass radar!

I'm happy to hear someone contacted you about the rude CM from the resort. It is a little weird that they were able to identify you by just your twitter account, but hopefully that results in nobody else getting treated poorly by that guy.

Agreed it was a little creepy but I was very glad he reached out and was so helpful!

Your monorail bar crawl sounds like a lot of fun. Smart idea to get an Ohana's reservation after a few drinks. One of these days I'm going to make my way into Trader Sam's! It's eluded me three times so far!

It was fun and the food at Ohana was much needed to soak up the alcohol.

Even at 6am those potstickers and noodles would be divine, followed by the delicious bread pudding!!

How fun at Trader Sam’s, we have never been able to get in!

I agree! It's 4 am here now and I would love to have that food now!! I hope you get to Trader Sam's soon!

Wow, really? That's a bummer :( We six mugs and would definitely like to add to our collection. I hope they aren't gone forever.

I've seen posts on Facebook that they're back in stock this week so I hope it's not an issue anymore! There's a guy Jay who runs the FB group I'm in and he I guess knows how to follow the customs websites or something crazy like that and keeps track of what's available and what's not.

Such restraint! The bread and dessert are my favorite part of 'Ohana :love:

Mine too! Ugh I wish I had it now!

I've never seen a PP photographer here…is that new?

I never have either! I'm not sure if it was a normal thing or just an extra CM around because of the rain?

Hooray, you got into Trader Sam's! I've never been there myself (and with a non-drinking husband, I'm not sure when I'll get there!) but it would be fun to see the inside.

They do have some non-alcoholic specialty drinks and small plates! We took Mike's nephew last year who was 17 at the time and he had a great time!

As another person commented, a meal full of food at 'Ohana is a GREAT idea after a monorail bar crawl! We usually manage to eat the entire dessert as well (it's SO good!), but I can't imagine ordering a second as I'm already so full of shrimp, noodles, and pot stickers at that point. ;)

It definitely helped soak up the alcohol lol! The idea of a second bread pudding sounded good but I definitely would've exploded if we actually did it lol.

Looks like fun at the Poly! Now I'm craving a margarita...

I could go for one too!

Great timing!

It worked out perfectly!

Way to take one for the team, Mike!

:rotfl: He's a good man!

Well, I'm sure that at least made you feel less guilty. If you were feeling anything at that point. :rolleyes1:lmao:

Not much lol :drinking1

Seems like a likely explanation, we'll go with that. Looks like a nice afternoon at the Poly! Trader Sam's looks like a lot of fun, and the Ohana dinner looks like it was a hit too!

Right?! It sounded reasonable to me too. It was a great afternoon for sure!

I loved that Pearl, glad you both enjoyed the drinks. The bar tender was telling us that there is only one manufacturer that makes the tiki cups, and it takes months to have them made. That's why they've been out for so long.

Mike liked the Pearl too! That makes sense about the cups! I've seen posts on Facebook that they're back in stock now so I hope it lasts til we go back in a few weeks!

:rotfl2: It's a bar crawl, I expect no less.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

This sounds suspiciously like our evening at the Poly, great minds and all that :thumbsup2

Definitely a great way to spend an evening!!

Sounds like a lovely visit to the Poly.

It was!

Ugh, what a bummer! I guess it's good that you tried something you actually wanted instead of just picking based on the cup, though.

Agreed but it was nice to try something different from the menu!

A perfectly valid reason to have junk video :-)

:drinking1:drinking1

Do you keep your PP photo count the way other people keep a ride count? It's like you have special photopass radar!

I should do that!! Maybe I'll try it next trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!