Three Wheel versus Four Wheel Scooter

Tikihula

DIS Veteran
I had a 3-wheel scooter reserved with Gold Mobility for our November trip. After reading a couple of comments about possible issues with stability, I changed the reservation to a 4-wheel. But after reading comments about maneuverability being important when boarding buses and in the queues, I'm considering changing back to a 3-wheeler. This is only my second time using a scooter, so I'd welcome any pros and cons about a 3-wheel versus a 4-wheeler. Thank you.

I always rent a 3 wheel scooter and I really, really really like the maneuverability of it. I feel like I can turn on a dime. I rented from Gold Mobility this past trip last month and after they delivered the scooter I headed off to the MK and to dinner at the Contemporary. The whole evening I was like "hmmm...what's wrong with this scooter?" I had trouble parking it on the bus (very rare for me), and so on. It was just so much harder to go through the crowds, make turns, go through the ques, etc. I finally at dinner looked at the darn thing and realized they had brought me a 4 wheel by mistake. I called them the next morning and they brought the 3 wheel with apologies. I didn't mind the mistake but it really made me realize that I never, ever want to rent a 4 wheel. I've never had stability issues with a 3 wheel.

This topic comes up a *lot* around here! LOL

I'm with my buddy @Selket on this - I'm a 3-wheeler all the way.

As I said recently here (in another post)... 3-wheels aren't necessarily more unstable than 4 - I have been driving a 3-wheel device daily for years with zero problems, and I am a 3L (large, lovely lady).

Personally, as someone who uses a device full time, I require the maximum maneuverability possible - otherwise I'm spending an inordinate amount of time every time doing 3-point turns, instead of spinning a 180 on my back wheel, and going on.

Often I see people who feel like 3 wheels are less stable because they believe it is more "tippy". If you are driving *any* mobility device too fast, or taking a curve too quickly, or going down (or up) an incline too fast... regardless of *how* many wheels it has, it is risky.

There are hills, ramps and inclines at WDW that are *steep*. We need to go up & down them slowly, and carefully - regardless of the type of device and/or the number of wheels present. Just because we *can* drive up/down those inclines doesn't mean we shouldn't take care and proceed with caution.

Keep 2 hands on the "wheel" (don't drink that Starbucks while you are trying to drive!) and half (or more) of the battle is won

I had a 3-wheel scooter reserved with Gold Mobility for our November trip. After reading a couple of comments about possible issues with stability, I changed the reservation to a 4-wheel. But after reading comments about maneuverability being important when boarding buses and in the queues, I'm considering changing back to a 3-wheeler. This is only my second time using a scooter, so I'd welcome any pros and cons about a 3-wheel versus a 4-wheeler. Thank you.
another who loves the 3 wheel. even though it has been years I still remember the manger at Garden Grill after I had had problems getting to my table say he was sorry that ECVs could be used as not enough room. I and the rest of my party just looked at him because my ECV had just been at my table with no problems and he might want to talk with his CM who had just told me he would bring it back at end of our meal. manger was back about 5 minutes later saying he didn't realize I had a 3 wheeler as it is the big park rentals that don't fit

Keep 2 hands on the "wheel" (don't drink that Starbucks while you are trying to drive!) and half (or more) of the battle is won

Haha! I often do keep just one hand on the "wheel" because I have to alternate hands to drive it since my hands fall "asleep" (get numb) being held in one position so long. I do use both hands however in crowded situations, on/off busses/, any place tricky to drive. Some day I'll pass @mamabunny in the parks and she'll be yelling at me - haha!:rotfl2:

You might ask the rental company that if you rent a 3 wheeler and feel unstable would they be willing to bring a 4 wheel at your mutual convenience and they'd probably say yes.

Yup, I'm another 3 wheel devotee. I rented a four wheel scooter once, since then I've found the 3-wheel are more maneuverable, easier togged around.
Sorry, mambunny, but I do sometimes drive one-handed. But that's because my other hand is on the "turtle" control. Sometimes it seems that the scooter will slow down more quickly if I quick, turn that dial to turtle, than to take my hand off the throttle. Don't know if it's true but it seems that way.

@Selket - I promise, I won't yell at you! LOL as I tell my family all the time "Lucky for you, I love you, or I would feed you to the pigs!" 🤣

@Simba's Mom, That's different to me than someone who is drinking coffee, or holding up a phone to shoot video (while they are driving! I have even seen people with the expensive "gimbals" holding those apparently trying to vlog while they are driving an ECV). You have your hand on the speed control for safety, so I think that counts as "two hands on the controls"! 🙂

I have only ever hired 3 wheelers (again the Pride 10/Victory depending on who you rent it from), and have never had problems with stability. Even when I missed the edge of a kerb trying to leave MK because it was dark as they were doing one of the many castle projection shows late at night. Thankfully it was not at one of the highest points, but the front wheel and left rear wheel did go over, tipping me over.

Luckily, as I was still going (having not realised there was a kerb there), I was very quickly stable again as the right rear wheel joined the other two on the road bit. I wobbled just a little bit as the scooter rocked, but at no point did I think I was going to tip right over.

That's one advantage of a heavier scooter, though - the centre of gravity is so low as all the weight is almost at ground level, so even if you're a generous Pooh-sized person (as I am), you're going to find it extremely difficult to go right over.

I just double checked my reservations for our 2 upcoming trips to make sure I did ask for a 3 wheeler! All is good. Last trip down I had to get a different scooter mid trip and the only thing available was a 4 wheeler. So much harder to use and so many places I couldn't squeeze into. As a Pooh shaped person I was very worried about tipping and I've been very careful and have never had a problem. That said, I would caution any one using a scooter to be very aware of the evil train tracks on Main Street USA. Do Not cross them at an angle. I have seen a number of people almost going down doing that and one woman who did end up on the ground and injured.

Yeah, three wheelers have the nicer turning radius, but at the cost of stability, where the four wheelers have the stability, but a bigger turning radius.

I also prefer 3-wheel for the mobility. Most (if not all) 3-wheel ECV have anti-tip wheels (or something similar) near the front wheel. These are about an inch or so away from the ground. I've included a picture of a Pride Maxima ECV as an example.

I just double checked my reservations for our 2 upcoming trips to make sure I did ask for a 3 wheeler! All is good. Last trip down I had to get a different scooter mid trip and the only thing available was a 4 wheeler. So much harder to use and so many places I couldn't squeeze into. As a Pooh shaped person I was very worried about tipping and I've been very careful and have never had a problem. That said, I would caution any one using a scooter to be very aware of the evil train tracks on Main Street USA. Do Not cross them at an angle. I have seen a number of people almost going down doing that and one woman who did end up on the ground and injured.

Those tracks could catch *any* kind of wheel (from an ECV, wheelchair or stroller) and cause a problem. I'm always super careful about them, and try to cross the street very carefully. I personally consider it one of the most dangerous things a wheeled device has to deal with at WDW!

If it's any help, I can confirm that the Pride Victory wheels are wide enough NOT to get stuck in the ruts. That's the 3-wheeler. I can't comment on the 4-wheeler, not having ridden one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!