Three Old Guys At Fort Wildreness

StageTek

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

We all met in 1977 working at Disneyland. I was a performer in the Main Street Electrical Parade, Peter
worked in the Haunted Mansion and Steve was in the Character Department. Over the years we have
worked together on various projects even as we moved to different parts of the country.

I'm Rik; I am currently a stagehand and a camera operator for reality shows. Peter the Adequate is a
working magician. Steve makes movies focusing on the LBGT community.

We last were together working on a project in 2010. Peter and I were in the World in 2008 and Steve
and I were last there Feb 2016.

We decided on the Fort Wilderness Cabins. Figured with three of us we could each have our own bed. A
big part of our plans were to catch up and smokin' cigars and having a few drinks were important.
When we found out we could smoke on the porch that settled it.

I spent some time on Touring Plans and found a loop (2300) and a cabin that seemed to offer a little
separation from the cabin next door so we wouldn't disturb our neighbors. 2320 seemed perfect; and it
was. I used TP to fax the room request.

Steve and I met at the airport at around 8AM. Peter had flown in the night before. I picked up the rental
car, we picked up Peter at his Airport hotel and stopped at Waffle House for breakfast. After a stop at
WallMart for supplies we reached the Fort at 10AM. There was a cabin ready but our requested room
would take a while – we opted to wait.

Day One: Parked at Outpost, took the bus to Pioneer Hall and the boat to MK. Sure do like that boat
trip. We had FP's for SDMT and Pooh. The lines weren't long at all. Went on our California favs; CoP,
People Mover, Country Bears, Tiki Room. Great to see Hall of Presidents; we all thought Disney did a
fine job with it. Haunted Mansion was 20min, Big Thunder 15min. Room number was faxed at 3:20pm.
Ended the day having a terrific dinner at Liberty Tree. Did you know they serve beer there now?

The boat back was so nice – crazy crowds heading to the Monorail and Ferry but very few taking the
boat to the Fort. Then we stayed up until almost 4AM smokin cigars and drinking good bourbon;

MORE TO COME....

Wow, so cool you all stayed in touch all these years.
My DH has always wanted to stay in the cabins. One day.
It is weird seeing beer served in MK.
Can't wait to read what three guys enjoy at WDW. I do the planning and always try to plan things hubby will like.

OMG!!! How could I possibly resist 3 old guys at the fort???!!! I mean really! I look forward to hearing more.

Day Two: Had breakfast on the porch

Thoughts on the Cabins: Perfect for a trip like the one we took. We didn't cook but having a full size
fridge and toaster and 10 cup coffee maker was great for starting the day. I'm fine with a bagel or
two, Steve had cold cereal and Peter just had an energy drink.

The beds made all the difference. Peter was happy on the bunk bed and Steve called the couch.
Staying in a two queens room means two people need to share a bed. At our age that's just not
comfortable. The downside is the one bathroom. And one, small closed. But we managed.

You do feel isolated. In the other resorts you are close to the food court and pools. At the cabins
everything is a bus ride away. You really need a car here. But it's GREAT to drive right up to your
room at the end of the day. I loved the décor and theming:

Even though it was my first time staying here I did a lot of research here on DISboards and Touring
Plans. Some of the loops back right up to other cabins or are right on the roads. 2300 is a small loop
and many of the cabins are looking out on a little creek. So you feel like you're out in the woods.

Epcot day; We had a 1:30 Biergarten reservation so we headed into Kissemee to Don Pancho's Cigars.
A great place. Terrific selection and Alisha really knows her stuff. I walked out with $90 worth.

We were seated with a family of five and Peter entertained the kids with card tricks. His act is that he
fails but a little later the card shows up in an unexpected place. You should have seen the kids faces
when the card he couldn't guess showed up UNDER their plate!

Then we were of to the rides. Frozen (FP), our favorites Living With The Land and Spaceship Earth. No
line for Nemo – Single Rider for Test Track. Really disappointed that American Adventure was closed.
Peter and I stayed to see Illuminations. Found a great spot on the second floor of the Japan Pavilion –
the Earth Globe was a little blocked but it's a wonderful spot to watch the fireworks. Ate a couple of
Funnel Cakes.

Since we were going to AK early we made it an early night. Smoked a few of the new cigars and were in
bed by 1AM.

Day Three: Got up early to make Rope Drop at AK. Got there just as they were letting people in. We had
FP for FOP later in the day so headed to NRJ. Everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) was charging to FOP
which meant that there was no one in line for NRJ . We did it three times in half an hour. BTW: as we
walked out of the ride the first time the FOP line was 120min. As we headed out of Pandora the line was
all the way to Festival of the Lion King entrance and 190min.

We had FP for the Safari later in the day but there was a 10min wait in the morning so we jumped in
line. Not sure if this is typical but the early tour was GREAT. Animals were out and frolicking around.
The most animals I have ever seen. The baby hippo was playing with mom, the little elephant was
nursing, the giraffes were active, the hoof youngsters were bounding around. All the lions were out on
the rocks soaking up the morning sun.

The rest of the day was easy going. No plans, just jumping into any line that was under 20min. I never
eat at “standard” meal times because the lines are stupid long. But we were all hungry about 12:30pm
so I tried ordering from the MDE app at Flame Tree. Wow! We were over at Dinosaur when we placed
the order. We strolled over at a leisurely pace, washed up at the bathroom across the way and then
lunch was ready. Terrific.

So we find a table right next to the pond in the sun (it was cold that day) and Steve and I leave to get
condiments and such. Without really thinking it through, Peter gets up to follow. Fortunately I looked
back just in time – the birds were swarming our table. They got a couple of onion rings AND a chicken
leg! I gotta tell you, they didn't get more than a few steps away for the rest of our lunch hoping for
another stupid human mistake.

We left AK around 4PM and spent a little time walking around Fort Wilderness. It really is a unique
Disney resort.

That night we went to Fuddruckers and brought back a bunch of burgers, fries, onion rings and shakes.
We made pigs of ourselves as we watched the State of the Union address.

Day Four: Back to MK for some more CoP and HoP. Used the MDE app for lunch at Harbor House. I
really like the food there. Then headed to Hollywood Studios for RnR and ToT FP's. Not much to do
there for now but being fans of Walt we sure enjoyed Walt Disney Presents. We rounded out the day
(and our little vacation) with dinner at Prime Time. First had Old Fashion's at the bar then we each got
the Sampler. As usual a great server who made fun of us and treated us like kids.

A terrific ending to a fund reunion/vacation.

Thanks for reading!

We were seated with a family of five and Peter entertained the kids with card tricks. His act is that he
fails but a little later the card shows up in an unexpected place. You should have seen the kids faces
when the card he couldn't guess showed up UNDER their plate!
That is so cool! I'm sure you made that family's trip!

How wonderful that you all stayed friends all these years!!!

I very much enjoyed your trip report!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!!

Great post; thanks for sharing! It is amazing that you guys stayed in contact all these years!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter