Thoughts on Uber after disembarkation?

Angeliki19

DIS Veteran
Hi- This is our first cruise and we are planning to use Uber after we get off the ship to get back to Orlando (headed to Cabana Bay at Universal.) I am worried that there will be so many people trying to get one that it will be difficult. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I've also considered:

1) Using the Disney transport and getting dropped off at MCO, and then ubering from there to Universal
2) Renting a car, but seems like a waste to have it sitting there at the port (its only a 3 day cruise but still.) We also do not need it for the rest of our trip so I would probably still have to go to MCO to drop it off and then uber to Universal.
3) Private towncar service?? Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks!

A private town car service sounds simplest to me. We have always used Tiffany Towncar for our visits and not had any problems. Good luck!

Towncar seems easiest, as you can reserve it and have them pick you up at a specific time. No waiting.

You can rent a car starting when you return from your cruise, no need to have one while you are on the cruise. Rental car shuttles pick you up at the terminal.

Also, no need to return to MCO. Most rental car locations will drop you off at your hotel. Drive to your hotel, and check in and drop off luggage. Then go to a close rental location to Universal, and they will bring you back to the hotel. Just make sure you pick a return location that does drop offs.

In May of this year, we watched a family try to use Uber at Port Canaveral. They never found their driver. The app said 5 minutes. They kept calling the driver to find them. After about 15 minutes, the husband lost his patience. He said forget it and he went over to waiting taxi and hired them.

Uber would most likely be on surge pricing, especially if there's more than one ship in port. Also, with luggage, you might need Uber XL, which is pricier.

I would do a private car. FL Magical Tours is what my agency uses, and Tiffany Towncar is also very good.

I had the same question, but for Miami. Can anyone recommend a private car service for Miami to the airport?

Do you need a car while you're at Universal? We rented a car to take from PC to Orlando and it was really easy. We got on line for the shuttle after we disembarked, waited a few minutes and then it showed up. One other family got on and then we went over to their lot. A few minutes later we were out the door with our car. We used it for a few days in Orlando and then returned it at the airport. Very simple.

A private town car service sounds simplest to me. We have always used Tiffany Towncar for our visits and not had any problems. Good luck!
Thank you! After reading the responses, I decided to go ahead and book with them. The lady was really nice. It was a little more than I was planning on spending on an Uber, BUT, the peace of mind is priceless on vacation!

In your situation, a private car is absolutely the easiest. You can even book a grocery stop to grab some water/snacks. We use happy limo.
This also sold me on a towncar, thank you! I was trying to figure out groceries as Universal is more difficult than Disney I am learning, so you just solved two problems for me. :)

Uber would most likely be on surge pricing, especially if there's more than one ship in port. Also, with luggage, you might need Uber XL, which is pricier.

I would do a private car. FL Magical Tours is what my agency uses, and Tiffany Towncar is also very good.
Thank you! I booked with Tiffany since two people recommended it. :)

Do you need a car while you're at Universal? We rented a car to take from PC to Orlando and it was really easy. We got on line for the shuttle after we disembarked, waited a few minutes and then it showed up. One other family got on and then we went over to their lot. A few minutes later we were out the door with our car. We used it for a few days in Orlando and then returned it at the airport. Very simple.
Thanks- I did think of that but now that we are staying on property at Universal, we really wouldn't use the car. I think the towncar will be the fastest option, but good to know that it was an easy process for you!

We did a pair of one way car rentals for our recent cruise. We used National because of the on property location at Disney World. It was $38ish dollars each way. A shuttle picked us up and dropped us off at the cruise terminal.

It also allowed us to make a Target stop on our way to the Cruise and souvenirs/groceries on our way back to Disney World after the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter