Thoughts on Magical Vacation Homes?

melliemelo

Mouseketeer
Has anybody booked a Windsor Hills condo through Magical Vacation Homes?

I have used Florida Sun a few times and VRBO a few times, but Magical Vacation condos look really nice and the price is decent. I'm looking for a little feedback before I book!

We love WH and have stayed many times. I'd be open to suggestions for other rental companies as well!

TIA!

My neighbor recently used vacationbythemouse and had a good experience. I have also looked at Magical Vacation Homes too. Curious to see what others say!

Cutting & Pasting my review of Magical Vacation Homes (February 2015):

I wish I had read the negative reviews before we booked. :( We're here now in condos at Windsor Hills and have had a few issues (and when I say "we" I mean me and my family in one unit and my sister and her family in another unit -- both rented through Magical Vacation Homes).

Overall my unit is nice. It's well decorated, has a good selection of kitchen utensils, everything I've used seems to work sufficiently. It doesn't have a bathtub which is a negative, and it doesn't have a deadbolt (eek! thank goodness it's a gated community, but still...). But what gets me is the tv. Silly as it sounds, cable or satellite tv is a must-have for us when we vacation. We don't have it at home, so it's a nice luxury we look forward to. The listing for our unit boasted recently upgraded cable tv package and cable tv in all rooms. The only cable appears to be in the living room. Bedrooms have what I would call basic cable (which to me isn't really cable at all - it's just the normal over-the-air channels, a couple of public and local channels, a few religion channels, and a QVC). After a few (frustrating) rounds of discussions with Customer Service, including a work order request they say was fulfilled but which didn't change anything, frankly I've given up expecting any sort of resolution. The kids'll just continue to monopolize the living room TV and I'll turn Netflix on my tablet like I do at home. Chalk it up to experience.

My sister's unit? Not so nice. Very stark with minimal furnishings. Somebody went to IKEA. I think she must have known that from the photos; in any case she didn't seem terribly bothered by it. More concerning to her was the broken toaster, lack of a cooking pans, and broken washer. The toaster burns everything when set on it's lowest setting. The washer doesn't drain, a fact she learned 3 days into her vacation when she attempted to do laundry only to find housekeeping had left a rug in her washer, now mildew-y from sitting in water for at least 3 days. Witnessing the dealings I've had with Customer Service, she didn't even bother contacting them choosing instead to try to make the best of it.

The icing on the cake for us both, though, was a note attached to the our doors when we returned from the parks on Tuesday afternoon (we're in the same building). It's from the Windsor Hills Condo Association, and it reads: "Wednesday & Thursday TIME 10:00AM UNTIL 6:00PM Please be advised that the floors of the hallways are schedule for painting in this building. Weather permitting!! Please either remain indoors during this time or plan your day to leave or arrive before or after these times. This is for the safety of all guests and unit owners."

As a guest who has paid good money to rent the condo, who is ON VACATION, who has made PLANS which contradict this mandate, I WAS LIVID! I can't imagine that the homeowner/property management companies weren't made aware of this in advance. I don't feel they should have even rented the unit out to me (and my sister's family as well -- they got the same note and were the same LIVID!) if they knew these capital maintenance projects were going on. That's just wrong. I "get" that they'd be losing out on rental income, but hey, that's the cost of doing business.

At this point I'm just trying to salvage what's left of our vacation. I wouldn't book through MagicalVacation Homes again.

I thought it might, but time really hasn't given me a different perspective. It still makes me angry, and sad, that our vacation didn't go well. I'm not a "high standards" kind of gal at all.......I don't sweat the small stuff........but it was just all too much. The whole "be gone from your unit" became a problem as the "mandate" extended an additional day without any warning. I know for many it might not be a big deal, but we aren't go - go - go type vacationers; we do a lot of down time and this put a serious crimp in things.....having to be gone all day and not able to come back for lunch and a swim.

My sisters unit only became more wrought with broken items. By the time she left, she'd found more and more broken appliances, furniture, and lack of basic utensils. She was a die-hard Windsor Hills lover and is seriously reconsidering somewhere else for her next vacation.

Sorry for your experience, but I appreciate you taking the time to document it! I recently used Florida Sun for WH and though I didn't hate the experience, a few things made me consider going to a new rental agent. Now I know what to stay away from!

FWIW I rented at Windsor Hills through a private owner (he owns multiple units, is on the condo board - great guy). While no major problems, my experience was also disappointing - similiar 'level' issues as PPs. I think its the absence of updating perhaps, or deferred maintenance. (So, perhaps common to these units??) I LOVED having the bedrooms, bathrooms, full kitchen (and we did have great cable tv), but went back onsite to a hotel room this year because I just cannot have problems like we did on our limited family vacation time. At least with Disney if there's a real problem they do try to make it up to you.

We had an awful experience with Magical Vacation Homes - see the review we left on Google.

*******If considering renting from Magical Vacation Homes take the time to read this post***************

Unfortunately the combination of Magical Vacation Homes (MV) and Top Villas (TV) has conspired to ruin our trip to Florida, to the extent I will never ever rent a house again.

The overriding inequality with renting from these agents is that they have your money before you arrive - and they know it and as such they have no incentive or inclination to resolve any problems.

Our experience in renting a 9 Bedroom (supposedly) 'Elite' Villa in Reunion (Edited by Admin to remove specific address information.)

Firstly, we had a organised an early check in at 1pm and turned up at 1.30pm to find the code for the lock didn’t work - but the patio doors to the rear were open - so we went in to find the house as the previous tenants had left it - a complete mess!! We phoned MV to ask what was going on, to find someone very unhelpful who said it wasn't their problem and told us to contact TV and we wouldn’t be getting into the property until 4pm. It did transpire TV didn’t communicate the early check in to MV - but unfortunately that didn’t mean MV would have our Villa ready for 4pm. Despite many promises, hanging up on me and then not answering my calls - they told us they had until 4pm to get the place ready and what were we worried about!! Well we had good reason to worry - as the cleaners didn’t up until 3.10pm and we finally got in at 7.20pm. The owner of MV thoughts on this was 'that’s how it would work in Hotel' - no words for that one. They even insinuated we broke into the house!

Unfortunately, this led to rush job on the cleaning and we spent my evening listing the problems with our Villa which were:

• The Air Conditioning didn’t not work upstairs.
• We had no Internet.
• The Fridge was leaking.
• The bed lining was stained
• Oven needed cleaning.
• The Jacuzzi wasn’t working
• The house and pool were dirty and in need of a good clean.
• The ice machine was filthy and could be contaminated.
• The cooking equipment was inadequate for the size of the house.
• There are no trash bags or soap in the house and not even one washing up tablets for the washing machine or dish washer.

All these issues were brought to the attention of both MV and TV, TV were responsive but said it was the role MV to resolve these issue, but they were had a very lack lustre approach to addressing these issues, to put some timescale against their tardiness.

• The Air Conditioning didn’t work upstairs – it took 3 days to fix this and engineer was open about this being broken before we checked in. MV failed to tell us the AC wasn’t working! It took 7 hours for the engineer to replace the coil and we waited in the house for this to be done and still doesn’t work properly.
• We had no Internet – took 3 days to fix this and MV blamed the weather for the outage!
• The Fridge was leaking – still not fixed
• The bed lining was stained – new bedding delivered after 5 days.
• Oven needed cleaning – cleaned after 5 days.
• The Jacuzzi wasn’t working – I paid for pool heat for the Jacuzzi, but was told the Jacuzzi wasn’t really a Jacuzzi, it was a ‘spillover spa’ – what they really meant was the pump wasn’t working so they gave a defective Jacuzzi a new name. But waste of money paying for pool heat.
• The house was dirty and in need of a good clean – token clean after 3 days. Took 3 days to clean pool, so we could swim in it.
• The ice machine was filthy and could be contaminated – still not cleaned and we bought our own ice.
• The cooking equipment was inadequate for the size of the house – items including a kettle, knife block, 2 chopping boards, tea towels were brought after 3 days.
• There are no trash bags or soap in the house and not even one washing up tablets for the washing machine or dish washer – never brought us of these.

In general terms the house was disappointing and wasn’t a true reflection of the pictures, it was tired and dirty and MV put little effort into resolving the problems which resulted in an unpleasant stay in the property.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes! Reading these stories just now. We check into a condo we are renting through Magical Vacation Homes on Thursday. I hope all is well!

In addition - look at
Yikes! Reading these stories just now. We check into a condo we are renting through Magical Vacation Homes on Thursday. I hope all is well!
@webcreatrix - wish you luck. Would suggest you take plenty of photos on checkin. And get onto them straight away if anything is wrong. Hope you have a better vacation experience with them than we did.

I know this is a resurrected post, but we’ve rented from MVH twice and it’s been fine. Some of the issues described by PP are on the management company and some are on the owner. MVH is a 3rd party management like many others out there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter