Thoughts on Boston being a GO in August?

scottmel

<font color=darkorchid>Does my logic in my origina
Anyone from Boston? I am on the August ABD and was feeling kind of hopeful that the trip would go. But now with the crazy protests gone sideways, not sure what to think with possible covid spikes or what may be be open in terms of museums etc? Anyone from Boston have any comments on the likelihood of August for tourism there> thanks!

I'm in RI, but just checked the most recent update from Gov. Baker. MA is still at a "Phase 1", but it's looking like they may be moving to "Phase 2" level of reopening in the next week or so. They're listing "organized tours" (like harbor cruises or duck boats) under "Phase 3", and that's predicted to not happen until at least the end of June. Indoor attractions are under "phase 3" as well, so I would presume that's when museums would come back online in some capacity.

However, as you mention, super-spreaders among the crowds could impact those predictions.

Yeah we are still *possibly* moving to phase 2 on Monday depending on what the COVID data shows this week. Boston itself has actually been under slightly tighter restrictions than the rest of the state, so being in the suburbs I've only been following the details of the Governor's plan. As of right now Museums, tours and the like are scheduled to be allowed to open in Phase 3 (the earliest start date is end of June but they are really evaluating things on a week by week basis). I would say keep an eye on things through the first two weeks of July. If we're doing well and they aren't rolling back the phases, August will probably be OK.

Yeah we are still *possibly* moving to phase 2 on Monday depending on what the COVID data shows this week. Boston itself has actually been under slightly tighter restrictions than the rest of the state, so being in the suburbs I've only been following the details of the Governor's plan. As of right now Museums, tours and the like are scheduled to be allowed to open in Phase 3 (the earliest start date is end of June but they are really evaluating things on a week by week basis). I would say keep an eye on things through the first two weeks of July. If we're doing well and they aren't rolling back the phases, August will probably be OK.

Thanks. I do have the option to move the trip to next summer. I can make the decision up until mid July but keeps so many of my other plans on ice not knowing. I had planned a few days on our own in the city prior to the start of the Boston ABD - Nantucket day, museum, Fenway tour, food tour etc. Do you think all of this feasaible in August without a mask? Would you move the trip to next summer if you were me? I am waiting ABD out to see if they cancel thus full refund and my money isn't tied up for a year...

Thanks. I do have the option to move the trip to next summer. I can make the decision up until mid July but keeps so many of my other plans on ice not knowing. I had planned a few days on our own in the city prior to the start of the Boston ABD - Nantucket day, museum, Fenway tour, food tour etc. Do you think all of this feasaible in August without a mask? Would you move the trip to next summer if you were me? I am waiting ABD out to see if they cancel thus full refund and my money isn't tied up for a year...
I don't live in Boston, but I would highly doubt you could go anywhere this summer without wearing a mask.

Sayhello

I don't foresee any of those things being permitted without masks by August TBH. Food tour and Fenway will be highly dependent on what the restaurant capacities are, and whether Fenway is even open. With no MLB season they are on skeleton staffs, and the teams aren't even allowed to start practicing again until mid-phase 2. If you can't do masks or are looking for all the experiences to be available, I would recommend rescheduling. Anything happening this summer is going to require adjusted expectations for sure.

The whole Boston area is an amazing city worth touring and seeing. You selected a great trip. There are a lot of things Disney will do and you can too. Be flexible! Even before the COVID problems, we would find tours/events cancelled with little notice or reservations not held. Just be aware that these folks operate that way - no issues on refunds, etc., but I don't expect too many changes other than masks, etc., For example, we toured the old seafaring areas like Glochester MA, and took a short sailing trip on a schooner - Schooner Thomas E. Lannon - their website says they should be up and running miid June but with some social distancing making a "boatload" more of a "halfload." Just be flexible and have fun. Beware -the drivers are horrific - in Boston use the T. We also found the commuter rail and Amtrak very helpful in getting around eastern MA

Say hello honestly thought never crossed my mind if mandatory mask in August? Really? Do u think crazy to spend abd trip in a mask?

Say hello honestly thought never crossed my mind if mandatory mask in August? Really? Do u think crazy to spend abd trip in a mask?
If you're asking my *opinion*, I could never spend that much time in a mask. Especially somewhere like Boston in August. It's going to be *hot*. Masks are not exactly comfortable in the heat. Because you're talking long days in the presence of a lot of people, on the bus, in venues that are probably going to require masks. I have enough trouble wearing a mask for a couple of hours while running errands. I suppose anyone can get used to anything, but I just don't see it as being enjoyable. I also drink a *lot* of water while on ABDs (honestly, all the time) and constantly having to move the mask to sip water kind of kills the whole point of wearing a mask. Again, this is just me, but I would not feel it was enjoyable with a mask. I think it was *WDW*Groupie* who said it was like a little sauna on your face.

Remember, you're wearing that mask to protect the other Adventurers on your trip, and the other tourists around you, and your Adventure Guides and the residents of Boston. I think the question is whether the things you're planning on will be doable at *all*. Whether they will be doable without a mask is highly unlikely in my opinion.

Sayhello

Last edited:
If you're asking my *opinion*, I could never spend that much time in a mask. Especially somewhere like Boston in August. It's going to be *hot*. Masks are not exactly comfortable in the heat. Because you're talking long days in the presence of a lot of people, on the bus, in venues that are probably going to require masks. I have enough trouble wearing a mask for a couple of hours while running errands. I suppose anyone can get used to anything, but I just don't see it as being enjoyable. I also drink a *lot* of water while on ABDs (honestly, all the time) and constantly having to move the mask to sip water kind of kills the whole point of wearing a mask. Again, this is just me, but I would not feel it was enjoyable with a mask. I think it was *WDW*Groupie* who said it was like a little sauna on your face.

Remember, you're wearing that mask to protect the other Adventurers on your trip, and the other tourists around you, and your Adventure Guides and the residents of Boston. I think the question is whether the things you're planning on will be doable at *all*. Whether they will be doable without a mask is highly unlikely in my opinion.

Sayhello
Thanks for that. I don't do the mask here (we are mask optional where I live) and I am concerned how I will feel walking around in one. Just doesn't seem like the vacation I was planning in my head last year! I think I will play the game of chicken as I have 2 weeks to cancel before trip leaving which is awesome really but ideally they would allow a cancel based on circumstances since they cannot promise me the trip will depart even. I have so many outstanding issues to address that surround this trip - my daughter's internship, her GRE test schedule - all stuff that got shfited due to COVID that she needs to react too and would be beyond helpful to know IF the trip was departing....On a bonus side, I noticed NEXT year's trip lists an extra activity on the clambake day. Thanks for the perspective, never thought of a mask as I said we are not mandated here so it isn't forefront of my mind...

I think the other thing to keep in mind about MA is, I believe their 14-day out-of-state traveler quarantine is still in force. My DS was supposed to go to camp up there this summer and, although it appears overnight camps may open by the end of June, I don't know how out-of-state campers can take part with that quarantine still in effect. Of course, waiting, waiting, waiting for word like we all are on all of our plans!

I live between Boston and the Cape. If you can change your plans to next year that's probably a better plan. Even with Gov. Baker's Phases, you don't know if any of the places that do open will have guest restrictions. Kind of how Disney & Universal are opening right now. I would hate for you to spend all that money and be unable to do much.

I live between Boston and the Cape. If you can change your plans to next year that's probably a better plan. Even with Gov. Baker's Phases, you don't know if any of the places that do open will have guest restrictions. Kind of how Disney & Universal are opening right now. I would hate for you to spend all that money and be unable to do much.
That is a good point..thanks. I will hold out for them to cancel. .Worst case I can move myself to next August between now and July 20th so that should give clear picture. NOT interested in a mask this summer....does it sound like that is the case all summer?

That is a good point..thanks. I will hold out for them to cancel. .Worst case I can move myself to next August between now and July 20th so that should give clear picture. NOT interested in a mask this summer....does it sound like that is the case all summer?
Gov. Baker and Mayor Walsh have been giving updates almost daily and I haven't heard any updates on masks. By September I guess we'll all look like Homer Simpson. You could try to watch some of our local news stations WCVB, WHDH, WBZ, NECN and NBC Boston.

Gov. Baker and Mayor Walsh have been giving updates almost daily and I haven't heard any updates on masks. By September I guess we'll all look like Homer Simpson. You could try to watch some of our local news stations WCVB, WHDH, WBZ, NECN and NBC Boston.
[/QUOTE
I signed up for daily texts but got tired of them telling me to stay home be safe etc. wow ]

I live right outside Boston. If you don’t want to wear a mask definitely reschedule. Masks are mandatory here anytime you go inside. Most towns also require them for being outside. Everyone out running, walking, biking is wearing a mask. Masks will be mandatory at summer camps etc. As of now restaurants are not open except for takeout.
There is really no chance of things being back to normal in 8 weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter