• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thoughts on a Sea World visit 8/17/02

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
I spent 8/17 with Cindy B's family. We only had a chance to spend 1 1/2 hours there because they had gotten off a 22 hour drive, but we did end up riding Kraken once and seeing the new Sharks Encounter attraction. Here are my thoughts:

1.) The Sharks Encounter has a new outside look. It now looks like a research lab with brown and blue aluminium siding-type material. The sharks and sthingray lagoon are still there. Behind it is the entrance to the Sharks Underwater Restaurant. The exhibit entrance is to the left.

The exhibit area seems unchanged. The path is shorter, though, but you still get to see pretty much everything from the old Terrors of the Deep attraction. The old observation area is now the restaurant. You can look into the restaurant through windows. The restaurant looks very nice, although it is dark. I hope the windows were one-way. I would hate to be eating and see drooling guests stare at my food!

I didn't have a chance to eat at the restaurant, but I looked at the menu. The food seemed OK, but for the prices, I'd rather eat at Mythos in IOA.

2.) Journey to Atlantis has a single rider line. It seemed to open when the regular wait is 15 minutes. The single rider line moves kind of slow, depending on when single seats will open. Still, I don't think you will wait more than 15 minutes. I waited 5 minutes. I would have waited less if someone hadn't butted in front of me. I hope he got sopping, miserably wet! Actually, I only got hit by a few drops on JTA. I really didn't get wet! I sat in the second to last row.

3.) The Everyday is the 4th of July end fireworks/laser show is really the Red, White, and Blue Spectacular that was shown a few years ago. I didn't like it much then and I didn't like it much this time. The laser effects looked cheap. Disney and Universal have much better fireworks.

I did stay at the evil Extended Stay America for 1 night. I stayed at the Studio Plus on Vineland, which was the most expensive property in Orlando ($59/night). The room had lots of space and a small kitchen area. I know some other places in Orlando would charge 2-3 times as much. Good thing that I had a free weekend stay coupon! :)

The park was crowded until the rain hit. The rain must have washed everyone away. Penguin Encounter was packed! The Pets Ahoy show was full. Kraken had a relatively short wait all day -- about 15 minutes max. JTA seemed to max out at 45 minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter