thoughts on a hotel?

MKCP5

DIS Veteran
Going to WDW for a Disney Institute class on September 24. Thinking about going down a few days early for fun on my own or w a friend. The class and all those expenses are paid for of course, and I am looking for a hotel for the days before. I was hoping to avoid a rental car and none of the budget hotels on property are available. Even with my Marriott family discount the Swan is about $250/night with taxes and resort fees. Any thoughts on something close--but more budget friendly? The springhill suites at flamingo crossing is a good rate but I don't really know how close it is. Help? :)

Something on Hotel Plaza Boutlevard? You would have to get your own transportation from the airport, but they provide park transportation all day.

Don't be too worried about transportation. With a good deal on an offsite place, uber/lyft for transportation will be able to fit into your budget, and these are prevalent and super easy to use in Orlando (a game changer really).

I would check over on the Orlando board for affordable offsite hotels. Many people really enjoy the Clarion LBV. I believe it has a free shuttle to the parks.

Going to WDW for a Disney Institute class on September 24. Thinking about going down a few days early for fun on my own or w a friend. The class and all those expenses are paid for of course, and I am looking for a hotel for the days before. I was hoping to avoid a rental car and none of the budget hotels on property are available. Even with my Marriott family discount the Swan is about $250/night with taxes and resort fees. Any thoughts on something close--but more budget friendly? The springhill suites at flamingo crossing is a good rate but I don't really know how close it is. Help? :)
You would need a rental car or uber to get to WDW from Flamingo Crossing but it is a short 10-12 minute ride. Flamingo Crossing is just a short distance behind the Coronado Springs Resort. Soon to be home of Disney Springs 2nd location as well as apartments and more hotels

Last edited:
"Free shuttle to the parks" begs more research. Which parks? How frequently? Etc.
Yes, of course. Then again, there is always Uber. I took an Uber in 2018 from the Home Away Suites over near the outlet mall to Epcot and it was less than $15.

You would need a rental car or uber to get to WDW from Flamingo Crossing but it is a short 10-12 minute ride. Flamingo Crossing is just a short distance behind the Coronado Springs Resort. Soon to be home of Disney Springs 2nd location as well as apartments and more hotels

Seriously? How many more hotels and apartments can there be with no more parks? They're already so crowded! Wow

OP Here. I kept poking around and watching the marriott site and I ended up booking the Swan for three nights before my conference starts for $94/ night! Super excited to check that out. They aren't part of magic express but I can live with that. Then I will go to the contemporary for 4 nights for my conference, Also a new WDW hotel for me.

OP Here. I kept poking around and watching the marriott site and I ended up booking the Swan for three nights before my conference starts for $94/ night! Super excited to check that out. They aren't part of magic express but I can live with that. Then I will go to the contemporary for 4 nights for my conference, Also a new WDW hotel for me.

That's sounds like a great rate and tons of fun to me. DH has had a few conferences at the Contemporary too (great place to stay when someone else is paying). Back in the old days when WDW wasn't that packed and hotel occupancy wasn't as great, they even upgraded us to a Tower View room at the conference rate (loved that).

You’ll love the Swan! Be aware there is an additional resort and parking fee. Now that Disney charges for parking, the parking fee isn’t a big deal anymore.

There is a big Swan & Dolphin thread if you want more information.

You’ll love the Swan! Be aware there is an additional resort and parking fee. Now that Disney charges for parking, the parking fee isn’t a big deal anymore.

There is a big Swan & Dolphin thread if you want more information.

Yes, thank you, I saw the resort fee. I'm okay w that. as it look so lovely! I won't have a car, so that's no big deal. I'll probably Uber from MCO since they don't participate in ME, and on the way home I'll be coming from the Contemporary so I can use ME then. I'm investigating what things are the same as a typical WDW resort and what are different as far as fastpasses reservations etc

Yes, thank you, I saw the resort fee. I'm okay w that. as it look so lovely! I won't have a car, so that's no big deal. I'll probably Uber from MCO since they don't participate in ME, and on the way home I'll be coming from the Contemporary so I can use ME then. I'm investigating what things are the same as a typical WDW resort and what are different as far as fastpasses reservations etc
The only real differences are (1) you don’t get a magic band, (2) you can’t charge back to the Swan anywhere other than the S/D resorts and (3) there is no package delivery.

Staying off site at a hotel + Uber was really a game changer during our last Disney vacation, as someone who has historically always stayed on property. Did not miss the benefits as much as I thought I would. Definitely missed the "magic" of staying at a resort, though my wallet didn't mind.

The only real differences are (1) you don’t get a magic band, (2) you can’t charge back to the Swan anywhere other than the S/D resorts and (3) there is no package delivery.
Can I use Disney transportation? Or is it a shuttle to TTC from the hotel

"Free shuttle to the parks" begs more research. Which parks? How frequently? Etc.
I'll second this. I stayed at the Courtyard Lake Buena Vista and their shuttle schedule was a joke. Ran a couple times a day, to Epcot only, and the earliest shuttle got you there after rope drop. The one day we took it we got into the MK around 10am.

Our plan was always to use Uber/Lyft so it wasn't a big deal, but just disappointing.
Can I use Disney transportation? Or is it a shuttle to TTC from the hotel
Yes. Swan/Dolphin has Disney bus and boat transportation.

If you didn't then upgrade yourselves to Tower View room on every trip since - Disney failed 😁

I liked it so much (favorite stay to date) that I at least checked out prices a few times. I've checked out prices of AKL Savannah view rooms too, including renting points. In the end on my own dollar, I'm a bit of a bean counter and usually do an offsite timeshare condo, renting from an owner. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!