Thoughts/Ideas on logistics please

bhyer

Mouseketeer
We will be arriving in LAX on a Sunday before noon. We will be staying in Anaheim and though it would be nice to spend the afternoon at Santa Monica Pier/beach before heading to Anaheim. Normally we would take a shuttle to Anaheim but we will have our luggage and need to do something with it while we are at the beach. So is our only option to rent a car? Does the airport have storage lockers and if they did would it be stupid expensive to store the luggage there, take an Uber to the beach and then later back to the airport and then head to Anaheim either by shuttle or Uber? Would someplace like Lansky store your luggage for the afternoon (thinking no but putting it out there).

The more I think about renting a car the more nervous it's making me but maybe I'm just being silly.

I would appreciate any thoughts/advice on my plan.

Later in our trip we are planning on renting a car for two days and heading to San Diego to the Safari park and La Jolla but renting a car for that stresses me a lot less. In part because the car rental agency at the hotel is a family owned operation and they seem good to deal with. They don't have cars at LAX though and the couple of times I've spoken with Alamo (who does have cars out of LAX) hasn't led me to have much confidence in them. Can't get an answer to a simple question.

There is also one day during our trip where we were going to rent a car and go to Universal but wondering on this too if an Uber might be better. Less hassle and worry but never done the Uber thing before either. Lansky seems a bit expensive.

Some thoughts, not in any particular order:
Lansky's is on the expensive side, but they get very good reviews here. People do take them from DLR to USH -- again, pricey, but worth it for some families for the comfort and peace of mind. If you will need boosters or car seats, Lansky's can provide these -- mention this in your reservation.
Can you take a car service or ride share straight from LAX to your hotel, drop off your luggage, freshen up, then go to the beach? Huntington Beach isn't far from DLR. Kids really like eating at Ruby's Diner on the pier. Newport Beach isn't too far. That way you'd already be in Orange County, have your things stored safely at the hotel, and be able to go right back to your hotel (not get back on the road to find your hotel) after an afternoon at the beach.
Day trip to the beach from disneyland
For San Diego, have you looked into taking the train? The station is a short shuttle or Uber ride from DLR (maybe 10 minutes?). You could use Uber while you are in SD.

The train stations you'd use in San Diego are nowhere near Escondido (the Safari Park) or La Jolla - and you'll absolutely want your own car going back and forth (on a map La Jolla and Escondido do not look far apart, but the drive can be a long one in traffic. You do not want to Uber that and the trolley/train will not take you that route).
Best of luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter