Thoughts and Observations on Late June Trip - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

If you need NOLA tips let me know! You definitely DO NOT want to come in the summer! I’m melting here compared to the beautiful weather we had at Disney!
DW has some health issues where hot & muggy knocks her out. Like two days in bed in a hotel. We did an early May trip to WDW a few years ago and that was a mistake. So New Orleans would definitely not be summer!

...I suspect I will do the following - come to D23 Expo with DW in August 2019 and spend 2-3 days at DLR...And see SWL then...
That sounds like a good plan.
I'm going to try for Sorcerer's Pass :wizard:

...She has never been to Yellowstone and I have not been for almost 20 years. And Mt Rushmore. She has been and I have not...
I highly recommend the Lake Hotel :thumbsup2

Thanks for the insights from your June trip. V helpful as always. I've been wondering about the ease of buying MP at park entry, especially on EMH mornings. Now I know to memorize my security code and should probably just know my whole card number in case I have to reenter it for some reason. And further, I will avoid Soarin' during EMH and just wait to do that w/ FP later.

After our July trip, I am also planning to take a long break from Dland. I just don't want to be anywhere near there once SWL opens. It's going to be nutso for quite awhile, I fear. Dland can hardly handle the current level of crowds. Plus my mind is thoroughly boggled by the plan to wedge a sprawling 700 room hotel in the DLH end of DD. I am going to just take a pass in 2019.

So yes that means other fun places to visit. Dland isn't cheap, so you can do a lot of traveling with those repurposed dollars. I just got back from a long weekend in NYC and it was great - could go there every year for sure just to see museum exhibitions and theater. We've only been to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons once, and it was mind blowing, amazing, the most beautiful place (go as early in June as you can to avoid crowds). We'll see where 2019 takes us. Perhaps a first trip to Austria and Germany.

Another vote for NOLA. I went for the first time in July last year. It was sweltering but I adjusted fairly
quick, and frankly I didn’t care about the miserable heat because that city is downright magical. A friend literally dragged me there - i wasn’t interested - and i am so grateful he did. I didn’t know what I was missing. It was a reminder I need to non-Disney a little more. There’s so much to see in the world (and just the US).

But I’m going to DL for a week next week so I haven’t entirely learned my lesson :D

We experienced some of the same things you did when we went at the end of May.

Rides kept going up and down. CMs were meh over all. Heck, we ordered beignets and while we waited for them, the CM that took our order sat there and played on her phone. Some were good as usual but the overall level of CM has gone down IMO. The cleanliness of the park has gone down in our eyes as well. We ran into a lot of rude people as well. I swear the back of my legs are still sore from strollers ramming into them.

After watching a few VLOGS on Disney Tokyo, we may try that next time. It appears they still have the experience that I come to expect from Disney. I am not so sure that we have kind of lost it to extent in the states.

We experienced some of the same things you did when we went at the end of May.

Rides kept going up and down. CMs were meh over all. Heck, we ordered beignets and while we waited for them, the CM that took our order sat there and played on her phone. Some were good as usual but the overall level of CM has gone down IMO. The cleanliness of the park has gone down in our eyes as well. We ran into a lot of rude people as well. I swear the back of my legs are still sore from strollers ramming into them.

After watching a few VLOGS on Disney Tokyo, we may try that next time. It appears they still have the experience that I come to expect from Disney. I am not so sure that we have kind of lost it to extent in the states.

We were at the parks for 5 days and I had similar thoughts- the rides seemed to be down A LOT, and the CM's did not seem to care as much and weren't checked in at all. It's interesting that I also thought the cleanliness had gone down, but where I really noticed it was in attractions- ie outside of the Tiki room, below there was lots of garbage, and I noticed it on Matterhorn and also IASW, and on Dumbo, I noticed that you could see the top of the surrounding buildings and there was lots of junk on top of those..Little things but not very Disney.

Do your send a copy of your complaints to Disney?

That's the only way they'll change. Though they probably won't. But doesn't hurt to try
Yes, I actually did that before my trip regarding the park hours and SCAP blockouts. After 4-5 days I got a personal call that thanked me and said they take such things seriously. I will send these in as well. I just got time yesterday to collect my thoughts and write them down here. But I will send them on to Disney in the next day or so. I agree that folks should come here to post complaints if they do not also contact Disney directly.

:wizard:

About the comments on rides breaking down, I have experienced that in the past like many of you but on this trip it was not an issue for us. I can't remember any breakdowns except for a few where we got Multi-Experience FP and and those just happened thru the app and did not impact us really.

Hydroguy thanks so much for your feedback. I’ve been a long-time reader of your trip experiences, and you have great insights. We our taking a last family trip with are college graduate daughter, and plan to take a long break from Disney afterwards. We have loved it, but the expense, crowds et., have taken a toll. We look forward to visiting Europe again as well as parts of the US. I’m sure we will visit DLR again, but long after SWL opens.

For a few dollars more.....you can go to Italy......that is what movie producers found in Sergio Leone spaghetti ....changed the landscape of movie going.....and US westerns....now there is a genre that went to Siberia.

Are you sure, A Fist Full Of Dollars..... would be fine? LOL (Clint would be proud!)

With all the New Orleans and Prague comments and all, I should clarify I am not a jet-setter, leisure type person! I travel for business a bit. I rarely do a 100% vacation/personal travel or 100% business trip. It is usually at least 10% business or 10% vacation/personal. Prague is 90% business and 10% personal. I will be with a co-worker but we will have two days to explore. That will be the 10%. The Spain part will be 100% business. I have been to that part of Spain several times before so personal travel in that part of Spain is not a priority for me this time.

France this time will be at least 50% business. If DW comes it will be 50/50 personal/business. If not, it will be only 10-20% personal. If I do it solo I may drop into DLR Paris again for a day or two. If she comes then she says Versailles is top priority! We visited Paris 2 years ago and that was a highlight for her.

I will put your Prague restaurant on my short list! Thanks!

Well,..... I've never been to Spain, but I kinda like the music. Say the ladies are insane there, and they sure know how to use it............

Just to clarify, Soarin' has always been open to everyone from turnstile entry. At least as far back as 2012.
Well you learn something new every day! We have never done regular rope drop at DCA. We're usually deep into the park by the time regular RD happens. The one time we did Soarin during EMH we did it first. That was bad enough without the rest of the crowd there, although I imagine by regular RD, they usually have both concourses open.

Still working on our own plan. I'm really worried about the impact of SWL on DLR. We're considering a swap back to WDW (FP+ and all ;)) just so we can avoid the park it's in. The problem of course is that we'll have to commit to a plan long before either park opens their SWL so it's all a big guess.

Regardless, when it does happen, I'll be curious to hear your feedback.

We have decided to go to WDW next year because I think between the two Disney's, WDW can handle the SWL crowds better. We will see an increase in crowds across all the World parks but many SW fans are not MK people. Also, have thought about trying to go before SWL opens. Our family likes SW but it's not a huge deal for us to be there the year it opens.

OP, we were there your same dates (and chose them for the same reason!). Having never been to DLR, I have nothing to compare with but I definitely felt the difference in crowds on the one day they left the AP block in place. How amazing that would have been if all our park days had been like that!

We were at PxP on the morning of the 23rd, and I agree, it was just pure chaos. The CM's seemed completely unsure how to handle the crowds. We bought MP and got a FP for IC (10:45). I'm sorry your family didn't get to ride. That would be so disappointing.

I loved PTN but I also didn't find the Together Forever fireworks show that impressive. Pretty meh, imo. Though I will say, I noticed far less people stacking kids on their shoulders like they do in WDW! I'm short, I've got a dd sitting in a wheelchair for the shows and two younger boys...None of us can see when people hoist their toddler up. I get so aggravated with that at WDW and I felt DLR people behaved better there. We actually got to see the show! Might have just been the crowd around us??

Overall, I agree with many of your observations. Thanks for posting.

Too bad you didn’t stay a day later and do DL instead of DCA on the 23rd. We were there on the 24th, had friends there the 23rd and DL was a ghost town. Peter Pan had a 15 minute wait three hours after opening. We went on Space Mountain four times in a row as the line was less than 10 minutes. The crowds were like a rainy day in February. It was almost creepy how dead it was.

LOL, I am really fortunate and do not limit my vacations to DLR and WDW. E.g., I am headed to Barcelona and Prague next week for 8 days. And France (and maybe England) in November. Thinking about Italy in April. Thanks for the Clint Eastwood pun. :)

I think DW and I are thinking more trips to favorites like NYC and Las Vegas and less to Disney for awhile. We have been wanting to visit Austin and New Orleans. She has never been to Yellowstone and I have not been for almost 20 years. And Mt Rushmore. She has been and I have not. With less Disney trips we may prioritize some or all of those.

For the time being I have no plans to visit Siberia though. :)

My father also travels a lot for work. He is going to New Orleans and my mom is tagging along. She went many years back and LOVED it. She's excited to go back.
My DH also REALLY wants to go to Mt Rushmore. There isn't much else to do over there though, but it is on our travel list.

This isn’t unusual for soarin. I remember a few years back it being open during emh to regular guests.
That was my first thought. Soarin is often reported as open before opening. Incidentally, any time I've tried to go on before opening it didn't appear open.

About the comments on rides breaking down, I have experienced that in the past like many of you but on this trip it was not an issue for us. I can't remember any breakdowns except for a few where we got Multi-Experience FP and and those just happened thru the app and did not impact us really.

I think ride break downs have been better this year than last. There were a lot more complaints last spring/summer about constant ride break downs. Indy was having trouble but they closed it (for the week we were there) to do some fixing. I also noticed they have Matterhorn and BTMR closing at different times this SUMMER. I believe Disney is working on sprucing up the rides to prevent break downs and extended closures next summer when everything needs to be running at MAX capacity for SW opening.

We visited the week before you and I agree with a lot of what you said. We had a good time, but the crowds were more than I wanted. I was very disappointed they did that. I am also disappointed in their choice to remove the Photographers from the popular princess M&G. The pictures I got with Anna and Elsa were not as good as the ones they would have taken. They did have a great interaction with DD2 though, and she is still talking about, they gushed over her curls. I didn't bother to take my DD2 to see the Princesses in PFF this time because I knew the pictures would be awful. I took her earlier in the year, but she was still shy with the characters, so it was a disappointment.

We plan to take the kids to do some other SoCal things next year. Probably a Spring trip, and then a summer trip with Time Share. We are going to take them to LEGO land, need to do it before the oldest is too old. Also have plans to go to the zoo, Sea World, and animal park (ticket that allows for all 3). We may take them to Universal, but that is undecided. I know that I am going to be dying to see SW land and it's immersive feel, and we missed out on Pixar Pier (Screamin was a favorite), but I really want to wait until our youngest is at least 4 to go back. The ride swapping and stroller get to you after three kids. We also went to Disneyland more on this DAP than we did the previous two times we had DAPs. We got a little Disney burnout. I think we need an 18 month to 2 year break, even though there will be times when I'm itching to go back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter