Those with cats-cones after spaying with dissolving stitches?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
We want to get our "came to the back door" kitty spayed. The local spay clinic uses dissolving stitches, so you don't need to bring the cat back, but they recommend using a cone and keeping the cat indoors away from other cats (or animals) for at least 7 days. How important is that? I just don't see it as very practical in our case.

The cone is absolutely necessary. Cats lick their wounds. It will be itchy as it heals, so kitty might scratch too.

Could you put a cone on her and keep her in a garage or shed for at least a few days to make sure she heals up?

Our cat had to have a cone a few years ago when she had an infection in her behind and it was hilarious to watch her with it on. At first, she didn't realize she could raise her head and just scooted along the floor with the cone dragging the ground. She did eventually realize she could lift it, but then she kept falling down the basement stairs, so we had to put up a baby gate.

I have worked as a vet tech for 30 plus years. We have never routinely used an e-collar on a cat or dog after a spay or neuter. It is generally unnecessary after this type of surgery. I would try it without.

We've had a lot of cats over the years and none of them have ever had a cone after a spay or neuter. The feral cats we had fixed were released once we got them back from the vet. These were always adult cats. We never forced them to leave the safety of the carrier. It was more dangerous for them to be crazed to get out than to actually being released. Our own cats have always been kittens so they stay in.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter