Those choosing other cruise lines- what's your $ point?

We have a teenage daughter, a younger teenage son, and a tween son. They've never been big kid-club goers, on any of the cruise lines, but we all prefer the pools and dining options on both lines. We particularly like being able to dine as a family at the premium restaurants. We also like the entertainment, not because it's better quality (I think the quality on DCL is probably better quality) but because it is more varied and less syrupy sweet. More than anything, however, I think we just got tired of DCL. It's a great cruise line, but we wanted to try new ports of call, new things, and not feel quite so much like each trip was deja vu.
Thanks. Mine are 13 and 15 and are big club goers. I never see them. It's funny how some kids love the clubs and some don't. I have no idea why mine do, but they do. Booking cruises would probably be easier if they didn't. I've never considered Princess, but I'll check them out.

Which RCL ship did you try?
I was on Anthem of the Seas. It was a great ship and the activities on board the ship where amazing but as much as I enjoyed my cruise I did have several issues with service and the entertainment was horrible.

I'll admit that the service on DCL trumps RCI for me as well. So do the kid areas for our 7 year old. To me, I found the dining and food to be a wash. Some things I like better on RCI some things i like better on DCL. Obviously you've got to find what each ship/line offers and how much you value it. The fitness centers (for example) on RCI are a huge bonus for me. I also like the pool deck better, the flowrider, ice skating rink, etc so while I don't like a reduction in service It's a trade off and knowing I'm saving $3000 is a nice perk too. lol

I booked a placeholder on our DCL cruise last month and there is one week (Mardi Gras week 2019) over the next two years we will consider sailing with them (if the prices and itinerary are right) simply because of how high their cost is. In the meantime we're going to a family all inclusive in Punta Cana, 9 days in WDW in january, a RCI cruise next May and for all of those I considered DCL to some degree but just couldn't justify the cost.

Yes, I will agree the activities offered on RCL (Anthem of the Seas) was amazing and far better than anything currently offered on DCL. I also enjoyed my virtual balcony stateroom but I thought that DCL had slightly better food in the MDR and buffet. I did however thought that the variety of the paid food on RCL was delicious and I took advantage of them all (my favorite was Jamie's Italian Restaurant). Dislikes include service, entertainment, constant sales in the main atrium, towel control and smokers. I haven't given up on RCL completely and the price for my cruise was great compared to DCL but my preference will remain at the moment with DCL.

Last edited:
We are a Disney family! Like so many on these boards.
Sure, we could sale another line at get Concierge for the price we pay for Verandah suites. They pale in comparison though with all the other perks of a Disney cruise.
We live in Seattle, where so many cruises depart, yet......here we go to Cape Canaveral!

For us it's not about sailing in a higher category room on another line for what you pay on DCL in a standard verandah -- it's more about being able to take 2-3 more cruises for what I pay for one Disney. I didn't feel that way in the beginning and wanted Disney to be my line for the Med and Transatlantic and Panama Canal -- all my firsts. But then we started comparing and when it came to Alaska, realized the difference was too uncomfortable to justify anymore. For many it's all about being able to do DCL and that's fine and special for them and their family. However, as I have gotten older and we want to see a much as we can, for us it's more about how many trips we can take and places we can get to -- whatever line it is -- that is most affordable and financially sound for us. ;)

We just got back from our first Alaskan cruise and because of the high price of the Disney Alaskan Cruise, we went with Princess this time. We saved over $3,000. As soon as I saw that difference, I wouldn't even consider DCL for Alaska. And after cruising Princess, I don't know if I'll ever go back to DCL. We all liked Princess more and even looking at Caribbean cruise prices between DCL and Princess, DCL is over $2,000 more. The tough decision for me is cruise or WDW...

As stated above, this is what turned us to another cruise line -- planning our Alaska trip. We went with HAL -- and we added the land portion, making it a 20-day land and sea adventure. AND for the price of all that (which included all hotels, flights, ground transportation and some meals and excursions and a 7-day cruise including Glacier Bay), we pretty much paid what Disney would have cost for just the 7-day in a verandah suite -- and their itinerary did not include Glacier Bay)! If we had just booked the 7-day cruise with HAL in a verandah, it would have been $4,000 less (for 3 adults) than what Disney was asking!

We were looking for a HAL cruise to the Caribbean after a wonderful HAL Alaskan cruise. We ended up on Disney because they had better ports (Eastern).
My MIL has passed away a few years earlier, and we used some of that inheritance to pay for the extra cost as her final gift to the family.
But yes, at $9,000, as compared to $3,000 on other lines, it would have been something to think about other wise.
It is why we have not been back to Disney, choosing NCL America and HAL instead. Just too expensive. Disney is great, but so is HAL. I'd pay more for Disney, but not triple again.

So with all the debate regarding DCL being x amount more expensive, and others not finding it that bad, DH and I were just discussing what the price difference would have to be for us to sail DCL again- for my DH it is 1000, for me it's 500-1000 as I figure 500-1000 can go a long way towards excursions, or towards some time at WDW, that sort of thing...so- what's your $ point?

I think I would do it again if it was less than 150$/pp per night, on a new ship, with new shows.

I really struggled with this question before ultimately booking my 1st DCL. We are usually very frugal with travel. Self driving/touring, staying in hostels. Even on Safari we opted for tents over lodges or hotels. Ultimately I paid double to be on DCL over a comparable itinerary on Carnival (4 night Bahamas in Sept). It was ultimately because my DD will likely not be out of swim diapers (a month shy of 2YO at time of cruise), and DCL was the only one with an appropriate water area for her. My wife isn't coming, so it was important to have the cruise be as relaxed as possible and it seemed like DCL would be the best match for this scenario.

I'm very curious if I'll get hooked on DCL. My only other cruise was a RCCL on my honeymoon 7 years ago.

Which Carnival ship? I know the Victory has a cute kiddie pool...

We just got back from our first Alaskan cruise and because of the high price of the Disney Alaskan Cruise, we went with Princess this time. We saved over $3,000. As soon as I saw that difference, I wouldn't even consider DCL for Alaska. And after cruising Princess, I don't know if I'll ever go back to DCL. We all liked Princess more and even looking at Caribbean cruise prices between DCL and Princess, DCL is over $2,000 more. The tough decision for me is cruise or WDW...

You got me interested here: what are the main differences between Princess and DCL?

I just got back from my Oasis of the Seas cruise and while my preference is still DCL, I had enough fun on RCI that if the price is right, I won't hesitate to do RCI again. You can do a week in a suite on Harmony for the same price as a 5c on DCL in the summer. That said, I can't wait for my Marvel cruise on the Magic in January. Only, to do DCL, it has to be at the lowest price we can. Hence, January ... I have to use up most of my personal days to cover that. Marvel is making that cruise unique enough, too. What DCL is charging for their standard itineraries is just too much, which pains me because I feel they offer a superior overall experience. I just can't justify a price for standard Caribbean that would get me a European vacation instead. Unfortunately, their special itineraries are either at times I can't go or at astronomical prices. I hope that when the 2 new ships are finally released, prices will lower and better itineraries will happen.

You got me interested here: what are the main differences between Princess and DCL?

There really wasn't much. And the extra Disney perks DCL has, to me, isn't worth $3,000. It's not even worth an extra $1,000 to me, at least, not for a cruise.

My DD is 14, so she doesn't need all the Disney stuff any more. She still loves WDW and we are going to DL next summer and she is excited about that, but on the cruise, she didn't need it. She said this cruise was her favorite vacation EVER! (gasp)

I will list a few differences that I can think of. I'm comparing the Dream to the Emerald.
The staterooms - I like the size and layout of Princess's mini-suite better than DCL's verandah room - I didn't feel squished like I did on the Dream. I like that the sofa bed is a pullout sofa on EP instead of the flip bed on DCL. I prefer DCL's split bathroom, though.

Food - Comparable between Princess and DCL, but I liked Princess a little more. I liked the MDR dining and food on Princess more than DCL, but I liked the buffet better on DCL (peel-and-eat shrimp). I liked the desserts better on Princess (lacked flavor IMO on DCL). And the pizza on Princess was soooooooooooo good. I couldn't walk by the pizza place without grabbing a slice (NY style thin crust, so good). But I like the soft-serve ice cream better on DCL (more flavors and self-serve).

Entertainment - our last DCL cruise, we didn't see the shows. To me they were one and done. Princess only had one musical-type show and I wish we hadn't wasted our time on it. DCL wins in the entertainment category by a landslide (not really a surprise there). The random musicians are also a lot better on DCL than Princess. One night, we were watching a live band and the singer was reading the lyrics off of an iPad. And still getting some words wrong! It was sad all around, except they had a nice Dixieland Band we enjoyed, but they only performed once. We don't cruise to watch live shows, though. We see those at home. When we cruise, we enjoy excursions, meals, and our verandah.

Embarkation & Disembarkation - Princess was seamless and fast, DCL was slow and blah. We boarded Princess around noon, walked right on, and our room was ready when we arrived. Same when we left - after waiting for our time, we walked right off. Luggage was quick and painless and customs was a breeze.

Staff - We liked Princess better. On Princess, they seemed to truly like (and some LOVE) their jobs. Every server (MDR and buffet) and bartender we encountered were friendly and helpful.

If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask :)

I can't speak for benefits for kids between the two -- but when we took Princess around the British Isles, I can tell you that (we felt) everything about the ship was a bump up in class from DCL (for way less money). The food was incredible, the buffet was top notch, the staff were kind and good and the room stewards just as wonderful as DCL. I'd do another Princess cruise in a heartbeat and would pick it over DCL simply because of the price difference.

Quality is subjective. In your mind quality is better on DCL, but is that really true? For some people it's not.

I can understand your point though if I only had one or two weeks vacation a year I'd probably want to stick with something I know rather then take a chance on something I don't. If you ever want to try something beside the Caribbean on Disney that 5k won't take you very far.

I think the question from OP was answered by me in my opinion as was asked. Yours is very presumptuous assuming I hadn't tried any other cruise lines which I have or that I only have one of two weeks vacation which again isn't the case. Your response seems rather judgemental.

Last edited:
I'm like several others - it can vary.

Cruise before last: Caribbean cruise - we were able to do a 7-night veranda on NCL with Christmas Party Tickets for the night before the cruise for the cost of a 4-night DCL with a porthole cabin
Last cruise: Princess to Alaska - for the cost of an inside stateroom on DCL, we could get a veranda on Princess and visit Sitka and Glacier Bay
Next Cruise: DCL, NYC to Quebec City - Princess cost a little less, but between the Princess up charges and DCL offering the better itinerary, we decided to spend the extra and cruise DCL (that and I really need a Disney Dreams fix! pixiedust:)

........ I really need a Disney Dreams fix! pixiedust:)

I feel ya -- I'm going through that right now (especially since I had to cancel September's T/A cruise -- and the rate was so good!)

I can't speak for benefits for kids between the two -- but when we took Princess around the British Isles, I can tell you that (we felt) everything about the ship was a bump up in class from DCL (for way less money). The food was incredible, the buffet was top notch, the staff were kind and good and the room stewards just as wonderful as DCL. I'd do another Princess cruise in a heartbeat and would pick it over DCL simply because of the price difference.

We have no kids so it's not part of the criterias for us. :)

I read mostly excellent reviews for Princess so I'm more and more interested. :)

Those of you who have been on Princess recently, how serious are they about dress codes? I don't mind throwing a knit dress in the suitcase, but my guys are.just.over.it when it comes to dressing up on a cruise. They deal with it on Disney because, well it's Disney, but anywhere else the dressiest thing that both DH and DS are going to want to pack is a pair of nice jeans and a polo shirt - maybe a pair of khakis if I ask nicely :P.

I think the question from OP was answered by me in my opinion as was asked. Yours is very presumptuous assuming I hadn't tried any other cruise lines which I have or that I only have one of two weeks vacation which again isn't the case. Your response seems rather judgemental.
It's hard to interpret post with limited information. If I interpreted your post incorrectly or made false assumptions then just correct me. You don't need to make assumptions that I'm judgmental.
You also said you'd rather rather do one DCL cruise for 5k then a bunch of cheap cruises. I don't think any cruises are cheap. I think Disney cruises are just very expensive. I'd be happy paying 5k for a Disney cruise unfortunately most of the cruises I'd like to do on Disney are in 10-20k range for the 4 of us. Even for just two the Baltic starts at 7500. I don't even think we could find a Caribbean cruise for 5k on DCL anymore.

I feel ya -- I'm going through that right now (especially since I had to cancel September's T/A cruise -- and the rate was so good!)
I can only imagine how good it was. It's still cheaper then next years WBTA. I almost booked it instead of Alaska, but I liked the idea of doing a cruise in my own time zone. This will be my first cruise without having to deal with jet lag.

Those of you who have been on Princess recently, how serious are they about dress codes? I don't mind throwing a knit dress in the suitcase, but my guys are.just.over.it when it comes to dressing up on a cruise. They deal with it on Disney because, well it's Disney, but anywhere else the dressiest thing that both DH and DS are going to want to pack is a pair of nice jeans and a polo shirt - maybe a pair of khakis if I ask nicely :P.

I wore a dress blouse and dress slacks to dinner, my DH wore a dress shirt and tie -- no suit jacket. He wore dressy khakis (navy blue) and his navy blue Crocs LOL. We have done dress up to death and are done with it. I used to pack evening gowns and cocktail dresses, etc. -- no more. I've noticed the cruise lines are getting less and less formal anyway. In Alaska, on HAL, there was a senior group traveling together that not only had gowns, but mink stoles, etc. I think it was all about the dress up for them -- so we had fun each night seeing what they would wear. If it makes ya happy -- I say go for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter