Those 2 Gals from Ohio take California by Storm! - Part III

Marla Hellwig

I'm not lost, it's called creative exploring
CAST: Marla - mom, trip planner
Kara - DD, 10 - loves any things that moves!

SUPPORTING CAST: TheLionKing - aka Dave
Tink 33 - aka Lesley
Milo and Lora - aka Mrs. Milo
Lesley's family - DH - Tim, DS - Tyler, DD - Lilly
Aunt Joe and Uncle Bob

WHEN: August 17 - August 26, 2001

SUNDAY, AUGUST 19

Ring goes the alarm clock - o. k., which idiot set the clock. Opps, it was me. Stumbled down the hall dragging Kara with me and threw both us in the shower. Once dressed, and ready to go, headed for the kitchen for breakfast. While we ate, we shared our adventures with my aunt and uncle before leaving.

Once again, Dave was nice enough to pick us up and drive us to the park. He arrived just as I was finishing up double checking the fanny pack. I had our stuff by the door, and by the time I got to the front yard, the car was loaded and I then introduced Dave to my aunt and uncle. Even their dog met Dave, sorry about those muddy paw prints on your shorts!

We shortly were on the road again heading for the parking garage. Oh what luck, they just opened a new lane at the entrance and we zipped in. Once parked, out we all tumbled and we were off to California Adventure!

This was Kara’s and mine first visit, so we "listened" to the "expert’s" advice on what to do first. Well mostly we listened.

Side note: this morning I woke up once again with several painful blisters on the bottom on my feet and even a couple between my toes. This I didn’t understand, as my shoes were well broken in and I even wore my "thick" socks. I just wasn’t the speediest person there that day, had a slight "funny" gait to my walk, but I got where I needed to be - it just took me a little longer to get there.

We headed off to the Golden State area to ride Soarin' Over California first. Dave and Kara went to obtain Fast Passes for us while I got in line. Here is where I DIDN'T LISTEN - see I admit it! The line kept moving, I was ambling my way through the line, looking back for the rest of the merry band. I tried to stop and wait for them, but I was kept being motioned to keep going. I I SWEAR I saw Kara and Dave being routed through the other side of the building. So, I just kept going! Hanging my head in shame here! What else can I say.

Soarin’ Over California is one of the neatest rides I have ever been on. You are on a flight over the whole state. One minute you are swooping down the river where people are boating, canoeing, and white water rafting, next you are flying up to the top of the mountain covered with pine trees. You can smell the forest, almost feel the ocean breeze, smell the orange groves etc. I was just blown away! Can you tell? After the ride was finished, I was walking up the ramp and I hear "Keep coming Miss Marla" - opps, something tells me that I just might be in trouble here. Nope, it wasn’t the rest of the group that I saw going to the other side. I took my punishment, like a good girl!

Next we were off to Grizzly River Run. The crowds were still very light and we were loaded in just a few minutes. We got in and promptly put our feet up, well, Kara didn’t want to but after we both told her, she did! We shared our ride with another family and we were off. All I will say here is that the other family got quite wet and we just barely got sprinkled. This was a very nice ride and hoped that we could go again.

Kara decided that since we had done the Tough to be a Bug in Animal Kingdom last July, that we could skip it here. So, the merry band headed off to Paradise Pier.

Our first stop here was the Sun Wheel. Here again I can’t ride these type of things that spin while you are turning. So we headed off for the line for one of the stationary cars. Kara was pouting a little, and a nice lady in front of us heard us and offered for Kara to ride with her and her son. We took her up on the offer in the heartbeat! Dave and I did the stationary car and Kara the swinging one. I enjoyed it, and made the comment that it would be nice to ride at night with all of the lights. And yes, you can look and see outside of the park on this ride. Once, finished, Dave went and got Fast Pass for California Screamin’ while I waited for Kara. Dave was back before she finished. We noticed that the son with the lady was looking a little green, but she and Kara both enjoyed their ride. We thanked her and went on our merry way.

HINT: On the way out I noticed that there is a sign hanging at the exit that if a person wants a stationary car only, they can enter through the exit and line up on the other side.

It was now time for our Fast Pass for Soarin’ Over California, so back we went. This time we all rode together.! We also asked and got the first row. I highly recommend at least getting the front row at least once. It was better the second time around for me. I did get laughing to myself during the whole ride. There was a little boy seated next to me by himself. I helped him get strapped in. Off we went. The next thing I noticed, the boy was "digging" his fingers into my leg. They stayed there the whole time. He never said a word during the entire ride, but he was holding onto my leg for dear life. The ride finished, he looked at me and said "cool" and ran up to the exit.

We still had to wait for our turn on Screamin’, so we wandered back to the pier area, and Kara rode the Maliboomer twice by herself, using the SINGLE RIDER LINE. We found a bench under a umbrella to wait for her. She enjoyed this ride a lot. As it has been mentioned before, she loves rides with motion - any kind of motion and speed! What a dare devil child I have.

By the time she was finished and we had ambled our way up to Screamin’, it was time for our Fast Pass. Kara begged to ride in the front car, there was a short wait, so Dave and I rode in the second car by ourselves. We got buckled in and waved to Kara and we were off. This ride once you are loaded, starts off and you go around the corner and come to a complete stop. After a 30 - 45 second delay you are launched! I remember to keep my head back on the head rest and I thoroughly enjoyed this ride. Much better than my experience last summer on the Rockin’ n Rollin’. A funny thing here I really couldn’t see when the loop was coming and Dave kept telling me not yet not yet. Well, he lied - the loop came way before I was ready for it! We got back and Kara was next to ride. Just as the cars pulled out, Dave noticed that his cell phone was missing. So we waited behind the yellow line, he told the Cast Member that he needed to check and told him that he knew which car it was in. Kara got off with a smile from ear to ear - saying she wanted to ride again. Dave found his phone right where it had fallen off of his belt. Good!

We didn’t get to see our pictures, but obtained Fast Passes for Screamin’ that are good for after lunch. Yes, it was time for lunch. We had earlier discussed our options and decided to try Avalon Cove by Wolfgang Puck. This restaurant isn’t owned by Disney, so PS’s can’t be made ahead of time. But, just as we walked up, it was just a couple minutes before opening (noon), so we were able to get on the list in a short time. Just a few minutes after 12, we were being called and asked if we wanted to dine in or out on the deck. We all chose inside.

You walk down a spiral staircase to a large dining area. Of course, the decor is "under the sea", with a tile mosaic along the back wall with mermaids etc. The lamps over each of the tables were designed to look like jelly fishes. The booths along the wall are the half circle type so you can look out of the windows at the deck and Paradise Bay.

Kara had the cheeseburger off of the regular menu. Dave had a club sandwich and I had a roast beef sandwich. They came with french fries. I also ordered the tropical ice tea which had a touch of orange in the mix and came with a slice of orange instead of the usual lemon. Kara’s hamburger was huge and she ate the entire thing. She couldn’t finish the fries. I treated Dave to lunch. The whole morning he was a little "woozy", but seemed to perk up after lunch. By the time lunch was over and a couple of phone calls trying to connect up with Lesley, we still had a little time before our Fast Pass on Screamin’.

Kara and I rode on King Triton’s Carousel. My sea horse wasn’t going up and down right, so my feet were scuffing the floor every time it went down!

It was time for Screamin’ I didn’t want to ride it and Dave passed also. So Kara went off, I took a potty break and Dave got into position to capture Kara’s launch. We all met up and headed off to the Hollywood Pictures Backlot.

This area will kind of remind you of parts of MGM Studios at Walt Disney World. Now, I had seen a neat shirt at Disneyland on Saturday, so I was on a mission. Yes I found them. Got one for Kara and myself in the Off the Page shop. Found a couple of other goodies and got in line and paid.

From this shop, you can enter Disney Animation. When you first walk in, there are large screens around the entire room, showing scenes from the various Disney movies. It just will blow you away. The screens are like 10 feet tall. From here there are 4 different areas that you can explore. Animation Screening Room, Drawn to Animation, Sorcerer’s Workshop, and The Art of Animation.

We just walked through the Drawn to Animation as we had to meet Lesley at 3 p. m. From here Kara and I did the Animation Screening Room while Dave got in line for the Sorcerer’s Workshop. Animation was cute. A live Cast Member talks about animation process and Mushu helps him out.

We met Dave in line and did the Sorcerer’s Workshop. Here you can do a voice over. Kara and Dave did a segment from the Lion King with Dave being Scar and Kara young Simba. (Of course, "right" you are saying about now!) We also did the Ursealla thing with Kara "loosing" her voice to the sea witch. From here, we all did the character test. Kara ended up being Mrs. Potts from Beauty and the Beast, I was Lady Tramine from Cinderalla and Dave is Jimmy Crickett.

We next went to the theater with the film with Robin Williams. This was cute and it was nice to sit down for a few. As soon as it was over, Kara and Dave left to meet up with Lesley and I was following at my own pace.

Stay Tuned for Part IV :D

You guys really have a fast pace going on there....wonder if you will continue! :jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter