This week's episode had me question the CM room access

so the CM comes in....who cares...
i was sick in bed in august and the CM came in....big deal....what? she'll see me in my jammies? for all i care she can see me naked....she'll be a lot worse off for that sad event than i will (she may want to gouge out her eyes)...

it's all a big deal over nothing....they knock....say housekeeping....peek in....leave.....big deal...nothing to get your panties in a bunch over...

Unless they come in with a bat......or worse a banana

so the CM comes in....who cares...
i was sick in bed in august and the CM came in....big deal....what? she'll see me in my jammies? for all i care she can see me naked....she'll be a lot worse off for that sad event than i will (she may want to gouge out her eyes)...

it's all a big deal over nothing....they knock....say housekeeping....peek in....leave.....big deal...nothing to get your panties in a bunch over...
To each his own. Personally, I do not want hotel staff walking into my room when I'm in it (unless I admitted them). I also don't want them knocking on my door when I'm sleeping.

We actually prefer not to have housekeeping come into our hotel rooms at all if we can avoid it. For a while, Marriott was giving extra reward points if you skipped housekeeping, which we always took advantage of. They would let you go 3 consecutive days without it. As long as we get clean towels and some clean cups, we're good. We don't need our bed made for us.

I heard about the free giftcards for not using mouskeeping.. but with this addition I will prolly just have them come in so I dont have to deal with the other CM.

And how do you discern a hotel room employee vs. non? This is my concern. Anyone can knock on a door and "pretend" they are an employee only to have malicious thoughts/actions.
The electronic key?
Huh? I other prior posters?
Huh?
This is really the part that bothers me. Not the barging in part but the knocking part. If I have a Do Not Disturb sign out, that means DON'T KNOCK
Disney no longer provides Do Not Disturb signs, and frankly is under no obligation to adhere to any such sign supplier by the guest.
What happens if we place the DND sign
Again, no DND sign available.
It's the CM's safety that I am deeply concerned about. There should be a buddy system (or something similar) if this new policy puts them at risk.
It would behoove anyone concerned about CM safety to not bring a device that could endanger a CM when wielded by the guest.

None of those times would I have latched the door
That's your conscious decision, though.
If guests have no idea when this supposed security check is to happen and receive a knock on their door by someone with a CM badge, what’s stopping them from opening the door?
Common sense? Engage the security latch and ask for ID?
Or maybe Mom is still asleep when Dad goes out for his run.
Then how would the security latch be engaged?

Correct me if I'm wrong because I am honestly a naive 21 yo, but it was to my understanding Disney CMs always had a right to enter your room without any warrant. When you sign a waiver to stay at Disney hotels, you are agreeing to letting them come in more or less unwarranted. I am an RA for a college in upstate NY and when we move college students in they sign a waiver that basically allows us to do whatever is necessary to keep the residency safe. It has always been this way for most hotels and most college dormitories. Am I correct on this?

Disney no longer provides Do Not Disturb signs, and frankly is under no obligation to adhere to any such sign supplier by the guest.
Exactly the issue. You would think a top priority for a hotel would be guest comfort. If there is no way for a guest to indicate that they'd like to not be disturbed at a certain time, that's a problem. Sure, the hotel always has the right to enter a room if they suspect something is wrong, but is everyone really okay with surrendering the common hotel courtesy of "please don't come knocking on my door while I'm sleeping, or my kid is napping"?

Exactly the issue. You would think a top priority for a hotel would be guest comfort. If there is no way for a guest to indicate that they'd like to not be disturbed at a certain time, that's a problem. Sure, the hotel always has the right to enter a room if they suspect something is wrong, but is everyone really okay with surrendering the common hotel courtesy of "please don't come knocking on my door while I'm sleeping, or my kid is napping"?
I understand the concern however have there been any account of CMs knocking at night while guests are sleeping? Sure while napping in the middle of the day it’s possible but I feel you should be aware of that during the day that someone could possibly knock on your door.

Correct me if I'm wrong because I am honestly a naive 21 yo, but it was to my understanding Disney CMs always had a right to enter your room without any warrant. When you sign a waiver to stay at Disney hotels, you are agreeing to letting them come in more or less unwarranted. I am an RA for a college in upstate NY and when we move college students in they sign a waiver that basically allows us to do whatever is necessary to keep the residency safe. It has always been this way for most hotels and most college dormitories. Am I correct on this?
Correct, they’re just exercising that right daily now, and they removed do not disturb signs.

Articles I've read indicated there is a "room occupied" sign instead. Is that not true?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/04/travel/disney-hotels-do-not-disturb.html?_r=0

"Guests will instead get a “room occupied” sign."

I'm confused by "One simple knock and access is granted" ... keys ARE still needed to get in rooms. No one should open the door for strangers – no matter who they say they are. That's common sense. I've stayed at hotels around the world and never once opened the door for someone I did not expect to show up at my doorstep.

But where does it end? If people are going to make fake badges to scam people into opening doors, does that extend to everywhere else on property? Should we assume that everyone in a CM uniform and badge could potentially be using fake credentials to scam guests?

I feel like there's a lot of consternation and worry over something that has very few real first-person accounts.

I haven't read the responses after your post but I feel Nikki's concerns are valid. On some of the old podcasts Pete used to have an officer come on the podcast and discuss safety around Disney World. She would state that when many people are in the "Disney bubble" they don't think anything bad will happen but she explained you need to keep your guard up because even though Disney is a magical place people still are victims of crimes. This policy lends itself to opening the door to strangers since most people may know that at some point during their stay a cast member may be knocking on their door and asking to come in. Now many people know that opening that door without looking who it is may not be the safe thing to do but they might forget that fact and open the door to a stranger. As for crime in the "Disney bubble" yes crimes still happen and many of those crimes go unreported or unheard of to the average guest. I worked for Disney and they do not want it getting out when bad things happen on Disney property. Disney can't even stop outsiders from placing flyers under doors so how can they stop a noncastmember from knocking on those same doors to get someone to open their door?

This policy lends itself to opening the door to strangers since most people may know that at some point during their stay a cast member may be knocking on their door and asking to come in. Now many people know that opening that door without looking who it is may not be the safe thing to do but they might forget that fact and open the door to a stranger.

Agreed. This is part of what I was trying to articulate in this thread about it being a safety threat and the potential case of mistaken identity leading to an injury.

Well, I think their top priority is safety - and they are trying to balance it out with guest comfort. This is all in the wake of the events in Las Vegas where the guy amassed a ton of guns in the rooms and Disney (and others - as we are seeing other hotel chains adopting a similar policy as this, so it isn't just Disney - so somewhere, some entity (insurance company, something) must have determined this is something that would help) are trying to prevent something like that from happening on property.

I hope this is one of those things that will work itself out and people will be able to tell the front desk that "my kids are going to be napping for the next couple of hours can you not come then" or even put a note on the door to that effect. I don't think the issue is if they can't get in at a specific point but more they don't want days and days to go by without having been in the room (or be able to be in the room)

But obviously it is a new policy so until we see how it works itself out it's understandable to be concerned about the implications

I haven't read the responses after your post but I feel Nikki's concerns are valid. On some of the old podcasts Pete used to have an officer come on the podcast and discuss safety around Disney World. She would state that when many people are in the "Disney bubble" they don't think anything bad will happen but she explained you need to keep your guard up because even though Disney is a magical place people still are victims of crimes. This policy lends itself to opening the door to strangers since most people may know that at some point during their stay a cast member may be knocking on their door and asking to come in. Now many people know that opening that door without looking who it is may not be the safe thing to do but they might forget that fact and open the door to a stranger. As for crime in the "Disney bubble" yes crimes still happen and many of those crimes go unreported or unheard of to the average guest. I worked for Disney and they do not want it getting out when bad things happen on Disney property. Disney can't even stop outsiders from placing flyers under doors so how can they stop a noncastmember from knocking on those same doors to get someone to open their door?

Agreed. This is part of what I was trying to articulate in this thread about it being a safety threat and the potential case of mistaken identity leading to an injury.

But couldn't that have happened in the past as well? Someone pretend to be a cast member and say they have a question about your account or something anyway? I guess I don't see why this would be that much more of an issue no vs before - if it is a mousekeeper before or now and they come and knock when I'd rather them not come in I will still tell them to come back later or whatever. If anything, now it is more on my mind to be suspicious vs before :confused3

I think a lot of people are looking for a reason to get upset. I'm sure there are those that will hear the CM knock and quickly get naked and let them come in so they can get free FP+ or some other free service.

reminds me of a quote from Ric Flair involving riding Space Mountain

that is correct - except now they are being more upfront about it and saying they need to be in your room to check at least once a day whether they suspect anything or not

Part of this is just to be more upfront about it and for it to be a visible reminder of security so if someone is planning to do something (like what was done in Las Vegas) and they know Disney would come in every day and "Hotel #2" doesn't have that policy they are more likely to go with option 2.

Like at the airport, most of the security measures you see are more to discourage people from trying things rather than to actually catch people trying things

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter