This week's episode had me question the CM room access

Not my first thought, but a thought. I would be remiss if I didn't present a potential scenario that a CM may encounter.

I think everyone should use their locks, but do we know that will keep CM/security out of your (global context) room?

It sounds like getting assaulted is very real risk for them in YOUR room. Not sure about anyone else's.

I can't even fathom this. Have to check out of this thread.

I Was also puzzled after the debate on the podcast. They said people have reported being walked in on because of this new policy. But if you use that top lock on the door no one can get in, so I don’t understand what the problem is. Just lock the door.

THere are some threads covering this topic elsewhere on the boards and there were reports or two from people of CMs ignoring warnings and barging in and seeing people naked, etc. ... however, I believe they were all proven to be false / joke posts - so those were what the team was referring to. I haven't seen anything like that verified

I am concerned for everyone's safety (guests and CM's). I don't want to instill any unfounded fears, but gain a better understanding of the absolute policy and potential loopholes that opens a door to someone with, well, not the best of intentions. If we can identify a potential loophole, we can take steps to be proactive and close them.

I am concerned for everyone's safety (guests and CM's). I don't want to instill any unfounded fears, but gain a better understanding of the absolute policy and potential loopholes that opens a door to someone with, well, not the best of intentions. If we can identify a potential loophole, we can take steps to be proactive and close them.
I’m pretty certain that Disney is not interested in guests taking security into their own hands.

I’m pretty certain that Disney is not interested in guests taking security into their own hands.

Agreed 100%, but shouldn't every guest, at least, question the security procedures/protocols to ensure their families are safe? I know in our case, I will rely on self-defense should any other built-in mechanisms fail.

Last edited:
The discussion point had me think about a couple of things. Maybe the Dis-Unplugged legal advisor has some input on these?

I almost always have a baseball bat in my room
and wonder if I would be held legally liable if I "stand my ground" per Florida law?

o_O :rolleyes1

Out of a hope of preventing poor cast members from being needlessly assaulted by those wielding baseball bats, while I haven't fully researched Florida case law, it seems clear the Florida stand your ground statute would not protect anyone staying at Disney if they did decide to assault a cast member with a baseball bat. The hotel room would be considered a dwelling under the statutory definitions, but the key words in the relevant part of the statute below make clear it must be an unlawful entry. As Disney has stated and made clear their policy regarding cast members' authority to enter rooms, it would be highly doubtful a jury would find that there was a reasonable fear of the cast member's imminent use of unlawful force or a fear of imminent death or great bodily harm in such circumstances. So please refrain from using baseball bats on cast members. Thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
776.013 Home protection; use or threatened use of deadly force; presumption of fear of death or great bodily harm.—
(1) A person who is in a dwelling or residence in which the person has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and use or threaten to use:
(a) Nondeadly force against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other’s imminent use of unlawful force; or
(b) Deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony.

Out of a hope of preventing poor cast members from being needlessly assaulted by those wielding baseball bats, while I haven't fully researched Florida case law, it seems clear the Florida stand your ground statute would not protect anyone staying at Disney if they did decide to assault a cast member with a baseball bat. The hotel room would be considered a dwelling under the statutory definitions, but the key words in the relevant part of the statute below make clear it must be an unlawful entry. As Disney has stated and made clear their policy regarding cast members' authority to enter rooms, it would be highly doubtful a jury would find that there was a reasonable fear of the cast member's imminent use of unlawful force or a fear of imminent death or great bodily harm in such circumstances. So please refrain from using baseball bats on cast members. Thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
776.013 Home protection; use or threatened use of deadly force; presumption of fear of death or great bodily harm.—
(1) A person who is in a dwelling or residence in which the person has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and use or threaten to use:
(a) Nondeadly force against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other’s imminent use of unlawful force; or
(b) Deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony.

And how would one define unlawful entry unless one gives written consent to unfettered access to a room/dwelling? To that end, how would they discern a genuine fear vs. imminent fear?

If this is REALLY a concern for you, you should seek your own legal counsel and not an internet message board. Clearly no one is giving you the answer you seem to want, which is it's fine to wail on someone in your room with a baseball bat.

If this is REALLY a concern for you, you should seek your own legal counsel and not an internet message board. Clearly no one is giving you the answer you seem to want, which is it's fine to wail on someone in your room with a baseball bat.

You couldn't be more incorrect. I am looking to preserve and protect my family and introducing a legitimate question IMHO.

Agreed 100%, but shouldn't every guest, at least, question the security procedures/protocols to ensure their families are safe? I know in our case, I will rely on self-defense should any other built-in mechanisms fail.

Good luck. Just in case some rogue CM with a semi-automatic decides to break into your room after using a laser gun to cut right through the door latch. Or smuggles in a nail gun and goes crazy after reattaching some loose crown molding. Do you carry your bat with you when you attend sporting events or shop at the mall?

Good luck. Just in case some rogue CM with a semi-automatic decides to break into your room after using a laser gun to cut right through the door latch. Or smuggles in a nail gun and goes crazy after reattaching some loose crown molding. Do you carry your bat with you when you attend sporting events or shop at the mall?

Thanks. Since you can't legally carry firearms on Disney property (TMK), we'll be fine. It's the non-CM I'm more concerned with, but appreciate your concerns.

You couldn't be more incorrect. I am looking to preserve and protect my family and introducing a legitimate question IMHO.

I'm not sure plotting your own vigilante justice in the infinitesimally small chance that someone breaks into your room and assaults you – something of which there have been ... no reported cases (?) happening at Disney resorts – is the best use of time, but go live your life, I guess.

Me personally? I'd just use the multiple locks the hotel provides to keep people out.

I'm not sure plotting your own vigilante justice in the infinitesimally small chance that someone breaks into your room and assaults you – something of which there have been ... no reported cases (?) happening at Disney resorts – is the best use of time, but go live your life, I guess.

Me personally? I'd just use the locks the hotel provides to keep people out.

Back to a previous question, are you 100% confident that the locks will keep EVERYONE out? I don't share that confidence.

And how would one define unlawful entry unless one gives written consent to unfettered access to a room/dwelling? To that end, how would they discern a genuine fear vs. imminent fear?
All hotels and even time shares reserve the right to enter a room without reason. That’s been around a while, it’s just getting enforced more now after recent events. Disney is not the only place doing it. I would imagine jamming the door to block access or wielding a baseball bat at a CM would result in a visit from law enforcement.

A hotel employee entering a hotel room while carrying out job duties would not be unlawful entry. They don’t need written consent. But they give it to you anyway, read the fine print.

How does it relate to a metal pipe? :rolleyes:

All hotels and even time shares reserve the right to enter a room without reason. That’s been around a while, it’s just getting enforced more now after recent events. Disney is not the only place doing it. I would imagine jamming the door to block access or wielding a baseball bat at a CM would result in a visit from law enforcement.

A hotel employee entering a hotel room while carrying out job duties would not be unlawful entry. They don’t need written consent. But they give it to you anyway, read the fine print.

And how do you discern a hotel room employee vs. non? This is my concern. Anyone can knock on a door and "pretend" they are an employee only to have malicious thoughts/actions.

Back to a previous question, are you 100% confident that the locks will keep EVERYONE out? I don't share that confidence.
As I stated very early in this thread, if you are that concerned and paranoid you are best staying at home. We generally trust security measures in place so that we can live our lives. From NYE in NYC to Boston and other marathons to airports throughout the world. The people responsible know a heck of a lot more about security than you do. Since you consider your bat, metal bar etc.. as a weapon, ask Disney how they feel about a gues5 arming themselves on premise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter