This week's episode - comments disabled, no discussion?

No one was there “shilling for Disney”

In all the years I have been watching/listening to the Dis Unplugged podcast, the phrase "schilling for Disney" has never once entered my mind! I can't imagine that anyone else who has been on this train for any length of time would think that. :coffee:

Last edited:
The question I have is are we subtly being conditioned for future gondola incidents much like "there's yet another monorail that lost power on the beam"?

The question I have is are we subtly being conditioned for future gondola incidents much like "there's yet another monorail that lost power on the beam"?
If Disney cannot fine a way to run this transportation system that works well all over the world for years and years then they shouldn’t have gotten in the game to begin with so it really comes down to that for me.

If Disney cannot fine a way to run this transportation system that works well all over the world for years and years then they shouldn’t have gotten in the game to begin with so it really comes down to that for me.

Doppelmayr will solve the problem. They'll throw some big brains at it and will figure it out.
Nothing is unsolvable. (especially if it's a programming error as i believe. Those are really easily solved).

Although, i still think the a/c is an issue.
As everyone on the podcast mentioned, they were darn lucky it happened at night.
3 hours in July in Orlando might not have ended so easily.
How many bottles of water are in the emergency kit? They might want to increase that number.
And if they increase the amount of water, they might want to increase the number of waste bags.
And while they're at it, maybe a few battery operated fans? or are there already fans in the kit?

getting stuck in a bus or a monorail is vastly different. There is A/C in both of those
Sorry if this was already mentioned but I wanted to point out that this isn't true in the case of the monorails. When they lose power, as has happened many times, there is no AC. You can find lots of posts and videos online of stranded passengers knocking out the emergency windows as a result. And they don't even have the vents like the Skyliner gondolas do. When that AC stops, they can become dangerously hot in minutes.

As for AC, it’s very uncommon and not reliable in gondola systems. You also have to think about power with AC. It’s probably not likely that if there was a 3 hour stoppage that they would last those three hours. Most often in these systems they receive power charges when going in the stations. So without going into the stations they wouldn’t get that charge.

Unlike some people I can empathize with the people who where stuck. I've been that dad trying to get young kids out of the park before a melt down at the end of the night. I feel terrible for the children who where probably scared out of their minds. I feel the shame people had who had when they used the bathroom in front of strangers and when those bags broke that had to be awful. I feel terrible for the parents and other people in the gondolas from screaming and crying kids. I worry about the heat stroke some people may have suffered. Again thank GOD this happened at night and in October.

I'm not saying people have to burn Disney to the ground, but we as the public need answers and assurances this won't happen again and if does there is an actual GOOD plan in place to rescue people.

Sorry if this was already mentioned but I wanted to point out that this isn't true in the case of the monorails. When they lose power, as has happened many times, there is no AC. You can find lots of posts and videos online of stranded passengers knocking out the emergency windows as a result. And they don't even have the vents like the Skyliner gondolas do. When that AC stops, they can become dangerously hot in minutes.

Except they do have emergency windows and I suspect you can knock out the roof access as well from the inside? Or is that not correct can you not open the emergency exits from the inside?

You also mention dangerously hot in mins? What issues have spawned from that? All I know is they can do full evacuations of the monorail in an hour based on what I saw historically and I am suspecting it would take upwards of 6 hours if not way more for the skyliner.

Can you even knock open the doors from the inside on the skyliner?

You also mention dangerously hot in mins? What issues have spawned from that? All I know is they can do full evacuations of the monorail in an hour based on what I saw historically and I am suspecting it would take upwards of 6 hours if not way more for the skyliner.

Can you even knock open the doors from the inside on the skyliner?
An hour in a stalled monorail in midday heat, even with a window knocked out, could potentially be an issue for some people, elderly folks, people with medical issues, etc. And just like the gondolas, there are no toilets - not even emergency kits with cups to use if needed.

I totally agree that evacuating the monorail is quicker and easier.

I can't imagine you can open the gondola doors. That would be incredibly dangerous.

I'm not saying people have to burn Disney to the ground, but we as the public need answers and assurances this won't happen again and if does there is an actual GOOD plan in place to rescue people.

It’s mechanical..... it will happen again. As far as a good plan to rescue people, I don’t know -you’re hanging in the air so you’ve got yourself in a bit of a bad spot. I don’t have a huge problem with the Skyliner, although when I first heard about it I can’t deny this situation was my first thought. But I plan to ride it in December and have zero concern. I’ll use the bathroom before I get on and bring my own fan and water.

I wouldn’t expect a rant -I feel like when Pete has a rant it usually has to do with human failure ...where proper training may have made a situation avoidable.

Well then. Can we revisit this thread in a few years when Craig has two kids under the age of four who are already cranky after they’ve been in a theme park all day and are just trying to get back to go to sleep but instead get stuck in box for three hours and have to get rescued by a cherry picker? Let’s see how much empathy he has then. What a thing to say.

Well then. Can we revisit this thread in a few years when Craig has two kids under the age of four who are already cranky after they’ve been in a theme park all day and are just trying to get back to go to sleep but instead get stuck in box for three hours and have to get rescued by a cherry picker? Let’s see how much empathy he has then. What a thing to say.

He may ride a bus ...who knows. He seems pretty conventional to me.

when you say "get out of hand", you mean the comments were abusive? sorry if that's what happened..
chani and i just listened to the podcast now.
while i disagree with you about being stuck and all that, it's no reason to be abusive..
people can disagree....friends can disagree....no need to be abusive for sure!! :)

You made a good point. We are all different and have different opinions. I didn't completely agree with what they said, but I don't get why they were getting such heated push back from people. I am pretty sure that I'd have been more than a little inconvenienced AND know 100% I would have been pretty upset if I would have been stuck in a box for three hours with nothing but a bag to use if I needed to go to the bathroom (with other people around me too)). But, all that to say, they are allowed to have their opinions and it's the reason I come to the site and listen to the show, to get varied opinions and insight about Disney.

After reading this thread, and taking everything under serious consideration, here's my two cents....

I wish Duffy would get stuck up in the sky in a gondola forever, never to be rescued.

Is Duffy still a thing? Or are you bringing relevance to him by posting this? Great... way to go.... :p ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!