This Trip Report Is Under Refurbishment For Your Future Enjoyment (UPDATED 9/13 with final bonus chapter)

Attractions: Golden Gate Bridge, Walt Disney Family Museum.

I hope you have these things in reverse order. You get a great view of the GG bridge when you enter the latter part of the WDFM, and it's open a lot later too.

Visiting Alcatraz Island, Oracle Park stadium tour (home of SF Giants). Hopefully a cable car ride in there, too. Spending the night in Santa Cruz.

Wow this is quite the ambitious itinerary! Have you researched your route? Will you be taking Highway 1 or 280 to 17? I only ask because I'm not sure they have made huge improvements to the 17 in the last 30 years, and when I lived there it was one of the most deadly highways. Lots of curves and turns and if you're driving it in the dark for the first time it can be scary. Of course when I was in High School and going to the beach instead of my afternoon classes in school, I thought it was great fun to drive. Then again I was really young and stupid. Go figure? :confused3

A drive around the Monterey Peninsula on 17-Mile Drive. Then onward to Pinnacles National Park.

So you're skipping the death traps at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk??????

Lodging in Tulare, CA.

Now this place I know a bit about! We used to come here a lot back from 2007-2012. I just checked the map and it appears that the place we used to stay is now a Holiday Inn Express & Suites, so I can't tell you where we liked to stay as it has changed hands. However, I can tell you that our favorite restaurants are still there. Our #1 favorite was the Tulare Black Bear Diner. It is a chain, and there is now one in Long Beach which makes us happy, but before we had one here, we loved going to Tulare and eating there.

Our second favorite choice was a Mexican joint called Chilitos. This is where I had my first DISmeet with @Leshaface. She lives in Tulare. They don't have a website and I just checked Yelp and the current reviews are mixed. This is sad. We also used to like Cool Hand Luke's, but this was kind of a pricey choice. It's a steakhouse chain in the Middle California area. Good food, but not cheap.

I'm sure you have someplace you found on Triple D or something, but all the locals always told us to avoid Apple Annies. They advertise heavily, but everyone told us that the food was awful there.

There you have it: our spring break adventure! We will be visiting Oregon and Washington state over the summer.

Sounds like an ambitious and exhausting trip around Northern California. Your family will probably like it!

We're too old for this! :laughing: Each day of your trip would probably be a 4-5 day trip for us. :lmao:

Last edited:
Sounds like a great trip! Make sure you have reservations for Muir Woods ahead of time. Also, check out the Yoda Fountain at ILM in the Presidio...not far (driving) from the Disney Family Museum.

I have my Muir Woods reservations already! I'd read parking was kind of a disaster there. Hopefully the reservation system will work. And I did plan on trying to see the Yoda Fountain, too! :thumbsup2

:faint: We did this itinerary over the course of more than two weeks and felt rushed!!! Lots and lots of driving! Have an amazing trip!

Well, you've seen our 2-week itineraries. I don't think this will be a problem!

Of course, your traveling party has to be willing to get up out of bed before 2 p.m....:rolleyes1

Sounds like a great trip. Have fun! Can't wait to read about your adventures. We already have our Endgame tickets for the Thursday night showing 7:15 pm, 2nd row seats. Ugh. It was all I could get but my 15 yo son would not stand for waiting until the next day :rotfl2:

We had to fit it around our travel schedule. But our kids insist on seeing it opening weekend because otherwise their friends will spoil the movie for them when they get to school.

I survived!!! Where's my pin?

Um...I'm sure it's in the mail.

A worthwhile goal.
George Mallory said "Because it's there".*

*Yeah, okay, he died trying to conquer his "because it's there"... but... still...

Full points for trying, though! Let's hope we don't follow that example.

Ah! Smart!

We thought so...at first.

Well... poop.

Win some, lose some, I guess.

I remember @Steppesister 's glowing review.

Me too! Among others.

Wow! Must be a big stadium.

Trip sounds great! :)

I hope the cars don't tear up the infield too badly.

I hope you have these things in reverse order. You get a great view of the GG bridge when you enter the latter part of the WDFM, and it's open a lot later too.

We should have all afternoon unless our flight gets delayed. My biggest fear is navigating by car. It sounds like traffic and parking are not going to be fun at all. Looks like the visitor center at the GG bridge and the Disney Museum both close at 6 p.m.

Wow this is quite the ambitious itinerary! Have you researched your route? Will you be taking Highway 1 or 280 to 17? I only ask because I'm not sure they have made huge improvements to the 17 in the last 30 years, and when I lived there it was one of the most deadly highways. Lots of curves and turns and if you're driving it in the dark for the first time it can be scary. Of course when I was in High School and going to the beach instead of my afternoon classes in school, I thought it was great fun to drive. Then again I was really young and stupid. Go figure? :confused3

I think I'll be taking whichever highway has the least traffic at the time! I'll probably be checking Google maps or Waze to see what the fastest route is. I didn't know 17 was so dangerous--but it looks like the only way to get there.

So you're skipping the death traps at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk??????

Um...what? :scared:

Should I be worried?

Now this place I know a bit about! We used to come here a lot back from 2007-2012. I just checked the map and it appears that the place we used to stay is now a Holiday Inn Express & Suites, so I can't tell you where we liked to stay as it has changed hands. However, I can tell you that our favorite restaurants are still there. Our #1 favorite was the Tulare Black Bear Diner. It is a chain, and there is now one in Long Beach which makes us happy, but before we had one here, we loved going to Tulare and eating there.

Our second favorite choice was a Mexican joint called Chilitos. This is where I had my first DISmeet with @Leshaface. She lives in Tulare. They don't have a website and I just checked Yelp and the current reviews are mixed. This is sad. We also used to like Cool Hand Luke's, but this was kind of a pricey choice. It's a steakhouse chain in the Middle California area. Good food, but not cheap.

I'm sure you have someplace you found on Triple D or something, but all the locals always told us to avoid Apple Annies. They advertise heavily, but everyone told us that the food was awful there.

Thanks for the recommendations! If it works out, we may actually be meeting up with Alicia! I've been asking her for info on the area as well.

Sounds like an ambitious and exhausting trip around Northern California. Your family will probably like it!

We're too old for this! :laughing: Each day of your trip would probably be a 4-5 day trip for us. :lmao:

:rotfl2: My biggest fear is getting around SF. I had a nice plan worked out with the transit system, and then they screwed it all up by shutting down some of the lines for construction. Stupid traffic engineers.

@franandaj mentioning dining in Tulare reminded me that we ate there at this very cute bbq place that is in an old airplane: https://pittysbbq.wordpress.com/ I thought food was very good and the location was unusual!

I had actually looked up your old TR to see where that was! Unfortunately, I think it will be closed--we'll be there on a Monday and they don't open on Mondays. Which stinks, because it's definitely my kind of place.

Let me know how that goes...

Why, is Santa Cruz not a good place?

We should have all afternoon unless our flight gets delayed. My biggest fear is navigating by car. It sounds like traffic and parking are not going to be fun at all. Looks like the visitor center at the GG bridge and the Disney Museum both close at 6 p.m.

I know you guys usually eat early and sometimes do things after dinner. There is a place called Fort Point which while it is only open Friday - Sunday 10-5, the grounds around it are open 7 days a week. It is literally underneath the Golden Gate Bridge where it intersects with the San Francisco side. It's kind of a cool perspective to look up at the bridge from below and see how really massive it actually is.

I think I'll be taking whichever highway has the least traffic at the time! I'll probably be checking Google maps or Waze to see what the fastest route is. I didn't know 17 was so dangerous--but it looks like the only way to get there.

Well it's not the only way, but it's the most efficient way. Perhaps since I was in High School they have added barriers and such to make the road more safe. In fact I just read about it on Wikipedia and there are now median barriers the whole way (I think). When I drove it in HS it was just a road with two double yellow lines. Now you hit the Median barrier instead of oncoming traffic if you stray from your lane! :laughing:

You can also get there by going down Hwy 1 from San Francisco, and the long way (taking the two sides of the right triangle as opposed to the hypotenuse) by taking the 101 to Hollister (or there abouts) and going across on the 152 or 156, don't remember, I've only done it once in the reverse direction.

Um...what? :scared:

Should I be worried?

Well no cause you're not planning to visit the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. They have a ride there called the Giant Dipper. It was built in 1924 and I haven't been on it in about 30 years, but I remember being terrified cause it was so old and rickety, but according to their website, it has a great safety record and excellent maintenance. It just scared the bejesus out of me the last time I rode it!

Thanks for the recommendations! If it works out, we may actually be meeting up with Alicia! I've been asking her for info on the area as well.

Very nice! She and her hubby are lots of fun.

:rotfl2: My biggest fear is getting around SF. I had a nice plan worked out with the transit system, and then they screwed it all up by shutting down some of the lines for construction. Stupid traffic engineers.

This is another place that I spent a lot of time during High School. I drove a stick shift back then, public transportation is overrated. Just drive it! You'll be fine!

Hi. I'm only a little late...

It was really great to read about your family's trip to WDW. I wish I had been here to make the usual sarcastic comments throughout, but I actually took a lot away from your experience that I think helps my mentality as I'm planning our next trip.

As always, it seems like we think very much alike. I agree with your take on Pandora and I'm glad to see that you enjoyed Rock n rollercoaster as much as I do.

But man... I know I've been away from the boards for a while. How did your kids get so old? I mean, Sarah is driving a car that isn't in Tomorrowland???? :faint:

I know you guys usually eat early and sometimes do things after dinner. There is a place called Fort Point which while it is only open Friday - Sunday 10-5, the grounds around it are open 7 days a week. It is literally underneath the Golden Gate Bridge where it intersects with the San Francisco side. It's kind of a cool perspective to look up at the bridge from below and see how really massive it actually is.

So you may have seen from the photos, but we did make it to Fort Point! Thanks!

Well it's not the only way, but it's the most efficient way. Perhaps since I was in High School they have added barriers and such to make the road more safe. In fact I just read about it on Wikipedia and there are now median barriers the whole way (I think). When I drove it in HS it was just a road with two double yellow lines. Now you hit the Median barrier instead of oncoming traffic if you stray from your lane! :laughing:

You can also get there by going down Hwy 1 from San Francisco, and the long way (taking the two sides of the right triangle as opposed to the hypotenuse) by taking the 101 to Hollister (or there abouts) and going across on the 152 or 156, don't remember, I've only done it once in the reverse direction.

I got spooked with the comments here and changed our accommodations to Monterey for the evening (found a cheaper hotel, too). But I still got to drive route 17. Not in the dark, though.

Well no cause you're not planning to visit the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. They have a ride there called the Giant Dipper. It was built in 1924 and I haven't been on it in about 30 years, but I remember being terrified cause it was so old and rickety, but according to their website, it has a great safety record and excellent maintenance. It just scared the bejesus out of me the last time I rode it!

I'm going to guess I'm happy I didn't ride it.

Very nice! She and her hubby are lots of fun.

We did meet them, and yes, they were fun!

This is another place that I spent a lot of time during High School. I drove a stick shift back then, public transportation is overrated. Just drive it! You'll be fine!

How did you ever drive a stick shift in SF? I really didn't enjoy driving there, but that was mostly due to the traffic.

Hi. I'm only a little late...

It was really great to read about your family's trip to WDW. I wish I had been here to make the usual sarcastic comments throughout, but I actually took a lot away from your experience that I think helps my mentality as I'm planning our next trip.

Hey Andy! :wave2: :welcome:

I'm really glad to hear from you! I'd started to think you had left the boards forever. It's great to have you back. Your sarcastic comments were (mostly) missed.

As always, it seems like we think very much alike. I agree with your take on Pandora and I'm glad to see that you enjoyed Rock n rollercoaster as much as I do.

I'm glad I finally got to ride them both. They were highlights, for sure.

But man... I know I've been away from the boards for a while. How did your kids get so old? I mean, Sarah is driving a car that isn't in Tomorrowland???? :faint:

It happened so fast. Now we're looking at colleges. Not that I have any idea what I'm doing.

Of course, this also means that I got old as well.

Enjoy your Spring break trip!

Thanks! We did!

tenor.gif

Thanks! We had a great time.

So you may have seen from the photos, but we did make it to Fort Point! Thanks!

I wasn't quite sure, but I saw the Fort in one of your pictures....

I got spooked with the comments here and changed our accommodations to Monterey for the evening (found a cheaper hotel, too). But I still got to drive route 17. Not in the dark, though.

My only comments were about the 17, someone else was comparing it to NJ. I only have fond (and blurry) memories of Santa Cruz! :laughing: What did you think of the road as someone in the biz?

I'm going to guess I'm happy I didn't ride it.

If you guys don't do the orange team, that was probably a wise choice.

How did you ever drive a stick shift in SF? I really didn't enjoy driving there, but that was mostly due to the traffic.

Back then it was all I knew. I thought automatics were boring the few times that I had the chance to drive one. It was a game to see if I could put just the right pressure on the gas and clutch to keep the car at a standstill on one of those lights at the top of a very steep hill. :rotfl2: Back as a teenager I enjoyed living dangerously. You have NO idea what a good kid, Sarah is! Take it from one who was incredibly mischievous at her age!

I wasn't quite sure, but I saw the Fort in one of your pictures....

It had been on my radar, and when I saw we could get a National Park passport stamp, that bumped it up on the priority list.

My only comments were about the 17, someone else was comparing it to NJ. I only have fond (and blurry) memories of Santa Cruz! :laughing: What did you think of the road as someone in the biz?

Honestly, I thought it was fine. You have to expect switchbacks going up and down a mountain. I think some of the other roads we took were worse!

If you guys don't do the orange team, that was probably a wise choice.

YvtyuPljQ-PVudbEzjvmBQyEBL0Y3l_v1o8rjSdmoABBMLfEFMAyKlFHSqZ3hf25DPAHe7mfuwezgOSzG-oNxkEwfQyHLU6hyfbfePHPCIT9dbUtYCEDN1F7oLBUM2irYc1CZd_41UjITYTUwVz5d0uy97ALSkzlfOL3ygpBsF7iLx9V6sXOzDoH83lSvmCUAVntRTSGwe3iprU4RbvYux-ry6nlEeZ-bpSYatCkF0DJuCJy0W14khV-T3I98FF8m43yIJHgZM9eRATeAMJAA6N09r-SMoNUy-_lq8gwugFz1qPNS9Hw7gucRf7dtjjMYBndSnt5BOtjEP9ts6JklNsL_NXAufshbvBQEY3W_4VpmB3vuzqyl8yLhjp3XM0lp2_nSbHFTzcJb81mo6GRAHHA1JxB2DoNCrnEPjX-oXZmQP9NEmDeA6i5son4mGYDOQs7yDK5Y4LNfBpeZxW0tSp2-z13DDEmkSbx6-2744bwSmBYnXrJDg3AsU4eV0HCfx6wbmpC19oUKKpWKmenjAoYic-GRKaaUmjzKAIyY5mq92TYd0YzEjI1ZEoTwqqdkOT_iSv7NMeVsqETia5ngCC5ysCQdWvQ0e_Y2k0hwlknEvpC_ZblRM3NNPzcm_rC1D5zQbLI4migTiSw00vvTDZbTqwjbtI=w66-h34-no

Back then it was all I knew. I thought automatics were boring the few times that I had the chance to drive one. It was a game to see if I could put just the right pressure on the gas and clutch to keep the car at a standstill on one of those lights at the top of a very steep hill. :rotfl2: Back as a teenager I enjoyed living dangerously. You have NO idea what a good kid, Sarah is! Take it from one who was incredibly mischievous at her age!

I have some idea. But as a cautious person (even as a teen), I don't know how anyone would enjoy that! I'd be scared to death of rolling back into the cars behind me.

And yet Julie hasn't aged a day... She must know something that we don't.

She has the advantage of being a woman. They just look better than we do.

This entire report has been highly entertaining and informative. Thanks for bringing us along for the ride. pirate:

Thank you! Thank you for taking the time to read all of this drivel.
I read all the drivel and you never thanked ME!!!!

:duck:

Thoroughly enjoyed it Mark. Sorry my circumstances didn't give me more of a chance to tell you that or joke around as much.

It is indeed hard to see Sarah driving, but I think the same about my daughter and she just turned 18. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts